'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nickname  (Read 6266 times)

OfficeLinebacker

• Walk-On
Nickname
« on: November 01, 2006, 02:00:22 PM »
Almost hate to bring it up. But does the nickname debate gain any legs now that Cords is leaving?

You kill the Jo, You make some mo!

WarriorsNow

Re: Nickname
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 02:48:33 PM »
I don't think Cords even had a voice in the entire fiasco. Of course, neither did 90 percent of the Marquette community.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 02:56:04 PM »
Chords was just the good soldier. Di Julio is culpurit. Also, the nickname debate is dead for good too. As the Warrior alums fade a new crop who doesnt really care and has no connection to the name is taking thier place. Plus, who gives a $hit what the name is. It is honestly meaningless.
But I like to throw handfuls...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 04:12:04 PM »
Almost hate to bring it up. But does the nickname debate gain any legs now that Cords is leaving?

Short answer: Nope.  While I imagine Cords had a voice in this debate, 99% of it was from the MU Board of Trustees.

Personally, I think this post is more important about the plight of the Warrior: 

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=35.0

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 12:46:49 PM »
The war for the Warriors nickname will never die.  We may have lost a battle last year and you may not hear as much about the Warrior nickname this year, but we're just laying in the bushes waiting for the next opportunity.

By the way, did you know the Lord is a Warrior?  Check out Exodus 15:3.   ;D
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 01:05:40 PM »
The nickname thing is seriously getting out of hand. Not to be insensitive to those who are Warriors, but we're the Golden Eagles now, your just going to have to deal with it.

The University made a decision to shy away from Willy Wampum, which I think was ultimately a good decision, effectively taking us out of the whole "mascots insensitive to native americans" issue. I mean, the NCAA is still giving Florida State a bunch of crap and the Seminole tribe has come out numerous times saying that they are pround that the university has adopted their name. With the mascot we had, would you really still want to be in that debate? I sure as hell wouldn't.

And this whole debate will fade, Marquette just has to stick to their guns long enough for their to be a significant number of alums that are Golden Eagles.

I think it is most important for us to realize that it could be A LOT worse.....we could be the Gold.
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 01:09:33 PM »
Obviously I'd like it to go back to Warriors, but unfortunately it appears to be dead.  If not forever, for a long, long time.

WarriorsNow

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 02:23:36 PM »
"Getting out of hand?" It's been out of hand for over a decade!! One way to get it under control....