[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Why I'm not afraid of Stanford  (Read 11380 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Why I'm not afraid of Stanford
« on: March 21, 2008, 02:30:05 PM »
Was IM'ing with Hilltopper, and I just had an epiphany.  While pulling together the numbers preview for Stanford, I got Very Nervous.  After all, Stanford had a LOT of the same characteristics of UConn, Georgetown, and Louisville.  Plus, in case you've been trapped in a turkish prison and didn't know, Stanford has two seven footers.

You know who else has a lot of size inside, is great defensively, and has a lot of the same characteristics of UConn, Georgetown, and Louisville?  Wisconsin.

In fact, I'd say that Wisconsin is BETTER than Stanford.  I think their guards are better, they do a better job of slowing the pace, and they win the free throw battle more often.

It's not like Marquette shot exceptionally well against Wisconsin.  They just forced the Badgers into more turnovers than normal, did a great job on the offensive boards, and ran all night long. 

All of a sudden, feeling pretty good...

oh, and if you want to compare the Pomeroy numbers?

Wisconsin Pomeroy Link

Stanford Pomeroy Link
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Why I'm not afraid of Stanford
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 02:33:50 PM »
good point, and Stanford is very turnover prone to begin with. Because of that, we can maybe get a few more steals, leading to a few more fast break points, and increasing our offensive efficiency while decreasing theres. WE CAN DO IT!! WE ARE MARQUETTE!! WE ARE THE DIFFERENCE!! OUR DIFFERENCE IS BETTER THAN STANFORD'S DIFFERENCE AND WILL GET US A WIN!

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »
Wisconsin also didn't stuff our sh*t down our throats every time we drove the ball like L'ville and UConn.  Seems like that's the Lopez brothers' specialty.  They're more like Thabeet and Padgett/Palacios/Caracter/Clarke than the Pillsbury doughboys to the west.  I hope we can get them in foul trouble or, like you said, run them to death.  McNeal and James need to hit their pull-ups early and often.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »
"Our difference is better than Stanford's difference"..... The new rallying cry.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 05:01:44 PM »
Yep - we need a lot of fast break transition points to win this one.  and yes, our difference is a better difference and differenter than Stanford's difference which is different but not that so from what they used to do.  We are the Differentiators Par Excellence - and therefore, with Standfodr being evil, they must be destroyed by us, the Differentiators.

So there Stanford - take that.

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »
Sugar, unless you back-up you claim with at least 7 pages of stats I think you are scared! 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 05:40:52 PM »
Sugar, unless you back-up you claim with at least 7 pages of stats I think you are scared! 
Oh don't give Sugar a stat challenge, he'll come through.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Husker4MU

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 06:05:37 PM »
I wish I shared the optimism.  We need a couple things to happen and I'm doubtful that any will happen.

Lopez brothers in foul trouble - we don't have offensively dangerous bigs to do that.  Our guards are small enough that the Lopez bros will just need to establish position with their arms up to disrupt any dribble penetration.  It's not fair to compare the Lopez brothers to UW's big guys, they are much more skilled, tough and athletic

Torrid 3 point shooting - this could happen but I'm doubtful.  The Three Amigos don't shoot a high enough % and our subs (Fitz & Cubby) have really struggled from three and look reluctant to even shoot

Get gobs of turnovers - this strategy seems to never work in the tourney, especially since we are on a neutral court.  We can't thrive off the energy of the home crowd

This matchup is really, really tough and we'll need some major breaks to move on.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 08:12:16 PM »
Our quickness smells like French Toast, can Stanford deal with that?
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 08:34:36 PM »
Lopez brothers in foul trouble - we don't have offensively dangerous bigs to do that.  Our guards are small enough that the Lopez bros will just need to establish position with their arms up to disrupt any dribble penetration. 

I think you underestimate our guards combination of speed, quickness, strength and leaping abitity. You try to stand still agains James, McNeal and Matthews, they are going to make you look foolish. Been saying it all week...They need to prove they can keep up with us.

Torrid 3 point shooting - this could happen but I'm doubtful.  The Three Amigos don't shoot a high enough % and our subs (Fitz & Cubby) have really struggled from three and look reluctant to even shoot

I won't disagree. We'll need to make some. Not sure we need torrid shooting though. Just like above, they will have to find a way to guard Lazaar. I am interested to see what happens with him tomorrow.

Get gobs of turnovers - this strategy seems to never work in the tourney, especially since we are on a neutral court.  We can't thrive off the energy of the home crowd.

I guess we'll find out. If we play with proper defensive intenstity and pressure as we ara capable, I'm not sure we won't get more than our share of TO's.

I know Stanford is very good, and if I had to pick a winner right now, I'd probably go with Stanford, but I think many around here are giving them a bit too much credit - or maybe it is more a case of not giving MU enough credit. Our strengths don't just disappear because we are playing against a good team.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 08:36:34 PM »
Our quickness is already in the Sweet 16!  LET'S GO MARQUETTE!

Husker4MU

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »
I really, really hope I'm giving them too much credit.  From what I've seen this year, our Big 3 have really been bothered by large bigs when they drive to the hoop.

The matchup with Lazar will be very interesting and could be the key to the game.  I like Lazar, but he hasn't brought it consistently so that worries me.

Regardless, I will be at the Honda Center in full throat again screaming on our boys.

Ring Out Ahoya!!!

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 08:56:54 PM »
I think it's safe to say that Burke, Barro, Blackledge, Mbakwe(if not injured), Hayward, and Fitz will be using up a good portion of their foul allotment tommorrow.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 09:07:15 PM »
Was IM'ing with Hilltopper, and I just had an epiphany.  While pulling together the numbers preview for Stanford, I got Very Nervous.  After all, Stanford had a LOT of the same characteristics of UConn, Georgetown, and Louisville.  Plus, in case you've been trapped in a turkish prison and didn't know, Stanford has two seven footers.

You know who else has a lot of size inside, is great defensively, and has a lot of the same characteristics of UConn, Georgetown, and Louisville?  Wisconsin.

In fact, I'd say that Wisconsin is BETTER than Stanford.  I think their guards are better, they do a better job of slowing the pace, and they win the free throw battle more often.

It's not like Marquette shot exceptionally well against Wisconsin.  They just forced the Badgers into more turnovers than normal, did a great job on the offensive boards, and ran all night long. 

All of a sudden, feeling pretty good...

oh, and if you want to compare the Pomeroy numbers?

Wisconsin Pomeroy Link

Stanford Pomeroy Link

I compared the numbers and the one thing that is different between the two teams is that the Lopez twins are both in the top 100 players nationally in block % on defense.  The other thing I worry about is that in the Wes-consin win, Dwight Burke played the game of his life.  Not that Burke can't play well this go around, but the Lopez twins are much more traditional post players than either Butch or Steimesememsma, who were sometimes content to shoot 12 foot jumpers.  It will take a minor miracle for Burke and Ous to stay out of foul trouble. 

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 09:28:41 PM »
i think of late burke has been playing pretty well.  i am impressed with his intensity, seems to be playing a little 'angry'.  i like it. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »

Wisconsin Pomeroy Link

Stanford Pomeroy Link

I compared the numbers and the one thing that is different between the two teams is that the Lopez twins are both in the top 100 players nationally in block % on defense.  The other thing I worry about is that in the Wes-consin win, Dwight Burke played the game of his life.  Not that Burke can't play well this go around, but the Lopez twins are much more traditional post players than either Butch or Steimesememsma, who were sometimes content to shoot 12 foot jumpers.  It will take a minor miracle for Burke and Ous to stay out of foul trouble. 

You are absolutely right (and so is Ready2Fly).  The key difference is that Stanford, UConn, Louisville, and Georgetown are all very good at blocking shots.   Wisconsin is not.  That's been a big issue for us that has neutralized our guard penetration.

Don't get me wrong.  It's a tough matchup.  But I'm less worried about some of their other strengths (like limiting 2-point FGs, protecting the ball, and preventing ORs).  We've been very strong at OR% lately, even without Burke.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 09:35:52 PM »
just give the ball to trend on the wing, let him run in with no dribbles and jump over Bambi and Poopsie and throw down a monster dunk.  8-)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 09:36:54 PM »
Stanford is good, I am afraid.  It will take an amazing shooting day from us.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 09:42:52 PM »
we will have to shoot well, no doubt, but I think we have to be very careful with the ball. Stanford doesn't force a lot of turnovers but if we're going to be sloppy, we have very little chance of keeping this close. Our guards have to get that first step on their big guys and take it hard inside. We'll have some shots blocked but maybe we'll draw some fouls, too. Lazar's outside shooting could be a difference-maker.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »
Sugar - what are you afraid of?  All you have to do is sit on your duff, drink beer and watch the game!   ;D

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »
where is Chris Grimm when you need him?? Never has a matchup more called for Grimm's toughness and physical defense then this one. Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone.  :'(

Did I just really say I miss Grimm?? :o
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 10:08:45 PM »
where is Chris Grimm when you need him?? Never has a matchup more called for Grimm's toughness and physical defense then this one. Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone.  :'(

Did I just really say I miss Grimm?? :o

RJax have any eligibility left? I bet the Lopez brothers haven't heard of him. ;)

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 10:21:07 PM »
I think it's safe to say that Burke, Barro, Blackledge, Mbakwe(if not injured), Hayward, and Fitz will be using up a good portion of their foul allotment tommorrow.

Then can I make a request that they don't let them get the shot off so as to prevent as many stanford "and 1" opportunties as possible?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 10:46:59 PM »
On the eve of our fateful game with the Stanford Cardinal, all I can say to the MU masses is...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ip1zsUIosoA&amp;hl=en" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ip1zsUIosoA&amp;hl=en</a>
SS Marquette

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 10:57:37 PM »

OMG       MY FAVORITE SONG ......  BY MY FAVORITE SINGER  ......    EVER!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more....   

FIRE UP MARQUETTE!!!!!!           DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'