Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Did They Show Jerel Getting Kicked Out?  (Read 5195 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Did They Show Jerel Getting Kicked Out?
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:19:52 PM »
About half way through the second half Higgins ejected Jerel as he was on the bench.  Coaches and fans pleaded for him to stay and he let him return.

Was this on TV?

drewm88

• All American
Re: Did They Show Jerel Getting Kicked Out?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:21:35 PM »
It looked like he was gesturing for somebody getting sent off, at which point Jerel and Crean (already having a T) were the only viable options. Shulman and Elmore made no comment about the gesture and obviously nothing came out of it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:23:01 PM »
About half way through the second half Higgins ejected Jerel as he was on the bench.  Coaches and fans pleaded for him to stay and he let him return.

Was this on TV?

WTF are you talking about? I find that extremely hard to believe. I am guessing he may have threatened, but cooler heads prevailed. I don't see any way he revereses himself, once he makes a call like that.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 11:24:12 PM »
Wait, what happened? Higgins ejected him and then changed his mind?

Jerel obviously never got tossed as he came back into the game. Box score only has the one team technical foul listed (for not leaving the bench after the second horn).

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 11:26:13 PM »
Wait, what happened? Higgins ejected him and then changed his mind?

Jerel obviously never got tossed as he came back into the game. Box score only has the one team technical foul listed (for not leaving the bench after the second horn).

That's what the T was for??? In that case, either I missed something or Shulman did an awful job by not explaining that.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:51:21 PM »
Jerel got upset by one of the thousand missed over the back calls, jumped about 3 feet in the air and landed on the court. The ball went out of bounds and a TV timeout occurred. Higgins saw Mcneal land in the court came running down to the opposite end where the MU bench was blew his whistle and gave the Mcneal the "your outta here" sign.  There was no "T" and when play resumed it seemed like nothing happened.  I think he did throw him out and then second guessed himself and turned it into the warning. I think all of this was happening while the game went to commercial.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 12:05:59 AM »
Jerel got upset by one of the thousand missed over the back calls, jumped about 3 feet in the air and landed on the court. The ball went out of bounds and a TV timeout occurred.

I don't think it was the over the back, it was the calling it Pitt ball when James was nowhere near it as it went out of bounds.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 12:29:01 AM »
Everone in our section thought Jerel was ejected.  F***k Higgins.  Grewwnwood too for that matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 12:36:26 AM »
Trust me I was about 10 feet away.  He made the your outta here call.  Cooler heads did prevail though.

This was well after the Crean T.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
You could read Crean's lips...
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 07:52:54 AM »
and he was saying "let him stay Timmy"

that was a very odd sequence.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 08:56:06 AM »
That is the most typical thing with Higgins.  He was on the opposite end of the court and made a call and then turned and ran 80 feet to the other end of the court to yell at the Marquette bench.  He should have never acknowledged the MU bench from the OTHER END OF THE COURT.  It is typical of old age to get thinner skin. 

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 09:22:34 AM »
This is in absolutely no way defending Higgins (that is the last thing I want to be accused of), but you didn't exactly need to hear or read McNeal's lips on that play.  He jumped higher (in disgust) on the bench than he has on some of his jump shots.     That is about the only call he could honestly make from 80 feet away.  Barone looked like he saw a ghost.  It took him a few seconds to realize he needed to get McNeal back to the bench.  Who knows, maybe in the time it took him to run over to MU's bench, he realized just how bad the original call was and that is why he didn't throw out McNeal.

That being said, if he can notice that from 80 feet away, I can only still wonder this morning, how he couldn't see so many plays that were right in front of him as well as how he apparently saw some plays that simply didn't happen.

A part of me wishes MU was blown out last night.  It is easier for me to deal with the horrible shooting in the 1st half than it is to deal with terrible officiating.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »
The fact that Higgins apparently reversed himself .. lends me to think even Higgins knew what a crap job he was doing.  He probably had his own little warning light in his head going off, thinking, man, if I do this giant, BS call, that has such huge ramifications (removing a team's best player) .. that it'd better be a slam dunk call, or I'm gonna have all my calls scrutinized for the entire game.

When was the last time a ref said "wait, never mind."????????

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
from what I heard today was that he ejected jerel but the other refs also intervened and let him stay.

romey

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 10:10:50 AM »
I clearly saw him signal "you're out" and thought it was funny that the announcers never mentioned that.  They did however talk about how Jerel needs to be careful, etc, etc.  That was a BS call though - one of many.