'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big 10 Tourney  (Read 5356 times)

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
Big 10 Tourney
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:10:59 PM »
I am watching the UM/UW game right now and can't say i disagree. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/sioncampus/potd/2008/02/07/

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Big 10 Tourney
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
I don't know what that means, but if it is meant to imply that Michigan is pretty bad, I agree. Quite a job Tommy Amaker did there.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 12:23:25 PM »
the referenced picture:
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 12:32:49 PM »
Nothing screams games with scores in the 50's then Bo Ryan basketball.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »
I don't know what that means, but if it is meant to imply that Michigan is pretty bad, I agree. Quite a job Tommy Amaker did there.

It's a reference to a widely circulated video clip in which two girls consume the contents of a cup of fecal matter.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:51:44 PM »
Gotta hand it to Bo, though; not his fault his conference is a joke and that six BE teams would finish in the top eight there. He whines but he wins. If Pitt fans think TC whines, they should be made to watch Bo in action.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 12:57:40 PM »
Wow, 51-34...what a tremendous offensive showing!  Isn't the Big 10 fun to watch!

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 01:00:05 PM »
Wow, 51-34...what a tremendous offensive showing!  Isn't the Big 10 fun to watch!

I needed ammo for tonight when I go downtown and I hear Badger chants by my friends... and I don't need anymore then that.  Yes defense is a big deal, but holy crap, I don't see how anyone can be a fan of that, I wasted 2 hours of my life.... thats ok, the real game is tonight.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 01:01:24 PM »
"Watching Big 10 basketball is like watching fat people having sex, big bodies flopping all over....Horrible"    Scott van Pelt on the Mike Tirico show.    My 15 month old turned the channel to MAC womens tournament, Toledo v Miami of Oh, the pace was faster, the game was better to watch than UW/UM
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 01:18:06 PM »
Is that the same Badger defense that held us to 81 points while getting every call in their place? There are five New York City high school teams that would play .500 in that conference.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 01:46:05 PM »
Is that the same Badger defense that held us to 81 points while getting every call in their place? There are five New York City high school teams that would play .500 in that conference.

Only 5?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
Steve Lavin just stated "That last game set basketball back 100 years" he was talking about the UW/UM game... it really did, it was awful.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 01:52:54 PM »
In case anybody didn't watch the UW-Madison game today, Brent Musberger/Steve Lavin informed us that Bo Ryan should be the national coach of the year, the Badgers are a good bet to make it to San Antonio, and Flowers would make a legit dback in the NFL.

Gag me.

Fox Valley Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
I turned the game off to watch the snow melt on the driveway.I see I didn't miss anything.Boy,first team to 50 wins!!!! I can see why any recruit wouldn't want to go there and play up and down basketball.They bore you death.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 01:58:08 PM »

Only 5?

That's 5 girls teams...countless boys teams!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 01:59:24 PM »
In case anybody didn't watch the UW-Madison game today, Brent Musberger/Steve Lavin informed us that Bo Ryan should be the national coach of the year

He probably should be. That being said, I have no idea what Musberger's infatuation with all things UW-Madison is all about. He must have gotten laid in Madison once or something because it is quite nauseating.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 02:00:05 PM »
"Watching Big 10 basketball is like watching fat people having sex, big bodies flopping all over....Horrible"    Scott van Pelt on the Mike Tirico show.    My 15 month old turned the channel to MAC womens tournament, Toledo v Miami of Oh, the pace was faster, the game was better to watch than UW/UM

Van Pelt also said that, "if the Big Ten gets more teams in the tourney than the ACC, he would punch Joe Lunardi in the face," and, "FSU would finish in the top half of the Big Ten."

I tend to agree with him.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »
"Watching Big 10 basketball is like watching fat people having sex, big bodies flopping all over....Horrible"    Scott van Pelt on the Mike Tirico show.    My 15 month old turned the channel to MAC womens tournament, Toledo v Miami of Oh, the pace was faster, the game was better to watch than UW/UM

Van Pelt also said that, "if the Big Ten gets more teams in the tourney than the ACC, he would punch Joe Lunardi in the face," and, "FSU would finish in the top half of the Big Ten."

I tend to agree with him.

USF too probably
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 02:07:19 PM »
In case anybody didn't watch the UW-Madison game today, Brent Musberger/Steve Lavin informed us that Bo Ryan should be the national coach of the year

He probably should be. That being said, I have no idea what Musberger's infatuation with all things UW-Madison is all about. He must have gotten laid in Madison once or something because it is quite nauseating.

1. I think it is generational. A lot of these broadcasters are nostalgic for old school grind it out basketball.

2. I think it is partly cultural/racial. People banged on the NBA for its hip hop culture and a lot of people are drawn to these teams with white farmboys and clean cut black kids that don't play too "black".

My sister in-law says she likes UW more than MU because MU seems like jerks. What would give her that impression I wonder? Nobody in our program acts like a bigger jerk than Bo or Butch.

MUEng93

• Walk-On
  • Drinking the Gold Kool-aid
Marquette Beats Wisconsin and Michigan
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 02:10:28 PM »
In the last 18 hours the Marquette Golden Eagles scored 89 points to easily hand both Wisconsin and Michigan a combined loss after they jointly only managed to score 85.  The upside of the Wisconsin Michigan game was that it took place in the middle of the day when most college basketball fans were busy at work subjecting only their diehard fans to the agony of having to watch.

There were widespread reports from fans in Indianapolis of time seeming to stand still and many of the comatose in attendance had to be awakened to be informed that the teams had actually left the court.

Also, Vegas odds makers are reported to be no longer taking wagers for under the total score in games involving Wisconsin due to their "fundamentals".

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 02:10:50 PM »

1. I think it is generational. A lot of these broadcasters are nostalgic for old school grind it out basketball.

2. I think it is partly cultural/racial. People banged on the NBA for its hip hop culture and a lot of people are drawn to these teams with white farmboys and clean cut black kids that don't play too "black".

My sister in-law says she likes UW more than MU because MU seems like jerks. What would give her that impression I wonder? Nobody in our program acts like a bigger jerk than Bo or Butch.

Thats because Bo takes the personality out of his players.  Honestly, none play with any emotion.  You watch MU, and you have the swagger of James and McNeal, the emotion pouring out of Ouse, Trend and Cubillan.  Then you look at Wisconsin and they are like robots, so they must not be jerks.

As much as Van Pelt talks about the Big Ten and how bad it is, he is the one on his show that said Madison is the best college town in America, when I find the clip, I will add it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 02:27:05 PM by Mayor McCheese »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 02:13:51 PM »
The lowest scoring game in Big Ten tournament history.  And that really says something.  

That's probably the case.  It's the same Musberger who said "15,000 red-blooded American men just signed up to go to Florida State next year" when they showed a girl at a football game.  All he got from her though was a "thanks for getting me into Playboy".  

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »

Personally, I want other fans to hate us. That means we're doing something right. I HATED the Cincy teams in the 90's for a lot of the same reasons I love this MU team. Granted, we graduate our players, keep them out of jail, and don't play dirty. But, like those hated UC teams they play hard, they play aggressive and physical, and they play with energy and a swagger that can easily be seen as cockiness.

A lot of people from other schools don't like Crean because of how energetic and intense he is on the sidelines. If they don't like our team for similar reasons, I'm absolutely fine with that.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 02:27:35 PM »
"As much as Van Pelt talks about the Big Ten and how bad it is, he is the one on his show that said Madison is the best college town in America, when I find the clip, I will add it."

I agree. I think Madison is the best college town in America. That doesn't mean I like the BBall team.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 02:37:37 PM »

I'll give him credit that he has done a very respectable job this year. I just don't see him surpassing Keno Davis, Scott Drew, or Matt Painter, to name a few. He beat Texas on the road, great win. He took care of business at home (I do seem to remember a game in December though :)). A great job, and he definitely got that team to overachieve. I just wouldn't put him #1, especially without even mentioning other candidates.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 02:43:22 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Those of you watching MSU-OSU know what I am laughing at.

Ol' Brent who picked Wisconsin to the FInal Four (surprise) said, "I would love to see Wisconsin slide into the final game. I would love to see Bo Ryan..."

Perhaps I was right about that getting laid in Madison thing. Now I guess we know by whom.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 02:46:29 PM by NavinRJohnson »

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 02:46:08 PM »
can you fill the working-class ;) in?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »

Personally, I want other fans to hate us. That means we're doing something right. I HATED the Cincy teams in the 90's for a lot of the same reasons I love this MU team. Granted, we graduate our players, keep them out of jail, and don't play dirty. But, like those hated UC teams they play hard, they play aggressive and physical, and they play with energy and a swagger that can easily be seen as cockiness.

A lot of people from other schools don't like Crean because of how energetic and intense he is on the sidelines. If they don't like our team for similar reasons, I'm absolutely fine with that.

DING DING DING...we have a winner.  I'm in total agreement, as long as we don't cross the line.  I know some fans will say we've crossed the line.  At times I think Cube does, but for the most part, just raw emotion and excitement by our guys. I absolutely love it that other teams don't care for us, means something we are doing pisses them off....mostly winning.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 07:41:40 PM »
You don't often see a guy getting coach of the year when his team couldn't even go undefeated in what is a mid-major conference.