Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Important Question for fans of MU who were born and raised in Wisconsin  (Read 8178 times)

Big Papi

• All American
Re: Important Question for fans of MU who were born and raised in Wisconsin
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 07:21:05 AM »
The one that gets in my craw more than anything is the blind love that your average Wisconsonite especially those in the Milwaukee area have for the the Badgers.

I have a few questions

1. How long has this been around for (Is this a recent phenomenon since Alvarez got there)
2. Why do people think they relate so much to the Badgers
3. Why do people outright hate Marquette (Is it the amount of students from Illinois, is it because it is private?)
4. What steps can the Marquette PR department take to get more of the fringe fans to watch MU over the Badgers
5. Do people in this neck of the woods still believe the Big 10 is better than the SEC in football and better than the Big East in B-ball?

I made the mistake of going over to Badgermaniac today and it makes me very upset that Marquette is seen by the people in this state as both a lesser academic and athletic institution in this State.  I feel like I have no defense against these claims and I need som Ammunition (although living in Kenosha is nice because it is definetly a pro-sports town)

I said it before why are the Plumbers, the Carpenters, the Production line workers, and all the people that make this state run feel like they have to cheer for the Badgers, while the only people that cheer for Marquette are Alums of the School, and Dentist???

I need an answer.

Wisconsin born and raised.  Became an MU fan before being a fan of any other sporting team including the Packers.  I think some of the older UW basketball fans hate MU basketball because of MU's success in the 70s and AL's antics.  Recruiting battles along the way and now UW's emergence as a very good program coupled with MU's return to greater success has increased the hostility among some. 

In the past I have followed the UW basketball and football program.  THe football program is probably the main reason you have a lot of MU fans that follow UW.  Heck it is the only program around here.  You want more fringe fans, get a football team.

I have now over the last 7-8 years cooled on watching the badgers mainly because of the internet and the hatred that they have for MU.  I now enjoy when the badgers lose and I  have even stopped following their football team as its hard to root for or against one and not the other.

DanceHallPlayer

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 08:33:34 AM »
Going two years and pulling a 2.6 GPA at the community college gives students an automatic transfer acceptance into UW-Madison and transfer of their courses. Applying to Marquette won't give them guaranteed acceptance, will result in at least a few courses not transferring, and they will still have to take a bunch of core classes that aren't required elsewhere-in other words, it's not an option, even if they are bright kids.

I don't know how things work these days, but this was absolutely not the case back in 1979. When I left high school I wasn't sure what I wanted to major in and went to a two-year UW-center my first year. When I wanted to transfer, Marquette accepted nearly all of my credits. UW-Madison would not have accepted many of them -- including at least one class taught by a UW-Madison instructor who drove over from Madison twice a week.
file:///C:/Users/dhoughton/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/P45VEX3L/White%20Guy%20Cant%20Jump.gif

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 09:05:48 AM »
The comments about the media being biased toward Wisconsin-Madison and anti-MU are dead on. I know ZERO other media members who are Marquette fans. I've been part of the media for almost 11 years now. And the comment about sportcasters in this town being pro-Wisconsin-Madison and anti-MU are dead on, too.

The only Marquette media person I know of is Jen Lada, the TV sports babe on Fox-6 in Milwaukee.  I've seen her in the stands at the last few games (as a fan).  Everyone else is pretty slanted toward UW-Madison.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ultimate

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 09:30:41 AM »
My girlfriend heard some elderly ladies talking about how they felt so bad for the boys (Marquette) on Saturday night - that was in MADISON!!, albeit at a Catholic Church get together.

I grew up west of Madison.  I'll gladly cheer for UW if they're not playing Marquette.  In fact after cheering my butt off for MUs win over Pitt, I was offered tickets to the UW - Minnesota game.  I enjoyed both that game and the UW hockey game on Saturday.  I will say, I'd much rather watch Big East basketball than Big Ten any day (except for maybe MSU, wow were they pushing the tempo and firing on all cylinders the other night).  But any college bball game in person is worth it even if it is slow white guys that just don't turn the ball over.  Fortunately for me, with my MU season tickets and my connections to people at UW with tickets I will never miss the MU vs UW game.
81-76!!

And in response to a previous thread involving ND football.  I'd cheer for UW over ND any day!!

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 09:33:23 AM »

And in response to a previous thread involving ND football.  I'd cheer for UW over ND any day!!

You'll probably never have that conundrum....

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 09:37:10 AM »

I said it before why are the Plumbers, the Carpenters, the Production line workers, and all the people that make this state run feel like they have to cheer for the Badgers, while the only people that cheer for Marquette are Alums of the School, and Dentist???

I need an answer.

I know where you are going with this, but be careful throwing out blue color professions and painting with a broad brush.

I know a lot of blue collars are UW fans... but having a Marquette Alum make a broad statement like that really makes MU look/sound elitist, and that is probably part of the reason why most people don't identify with MU.

superfan1387

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 10:43:54 AM »
I am not from wisconsin but this is also a topic that seriously bothers me. for example, walking back from the UW- MU game that was played at the bradley center last year, i was completely crushed. i had been up since 5 am and was just crushed by the loss in that game. walking back to my dorm i ran into a fellow MU student from green bay, i looked at him and said, "ohh my god was that a crappy game." his wisconsinite response, "who cares, alando tucker is tha man and WE are going to make the final four this year." when i got to MU i gave up all my sports allegiances to schools not named Marquette. how come kids from wisconsin cant do the same? or at least pretend to care about the school they go to?

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 10:45:16 AM »

I need an answer.

I know where you are going with this, but be careful throwing out blue color professions and painting with a broad brush.

I know a lot of blue collars are UW fans... but having a Marquette Alum make a broad statement like that really makes MU look/sound elitist, and that is probably part of the reason why most people don't identify with MU.

2002, to add to your point, painting with this "broad brush" also goes against MU's mission.  The Jesuits often point to using your higher education to assist those in your community.  That is counter to any arguement that MU is elitist.

I'll speak to an area that I know about: MU Law promotes the fact that it is the only law school in Milwaukee and, therefore, must train lawyers that can assist the community (i.e. public defenders, district attorneys, family law, etc).  It promotes "hands on" lawyering and bringin justice to those who may not have ready access to it over theoretical and "textbook" educations.  In truth, a practical approach and a theoretical approach must be part of any good curriculum (sp?), but as an institution MU law pushes the practical over the theoretical.  Elitist?  No way. 

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 11:49:46 AM »
Chapman said:
In Illinois, you have Illinois, Illinois State, Northern Illinois, Eastern Illinois, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, UIC, Loyola-Chicago, Chicago State, Northwestern, and DePaul playing D1 basketball.  Four of those are in a major conference or a significant mid-major.

Don't forget about the mighty Bradley Braves.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:31:36 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »

I need an answer.

2002, to add to your point, painting with this "broad brush" also goes against MU's mission.  The Jesuits often point to using your higher education to assist those in your community.  That is counter to any arguement that MU is elitist.

I'll speak to an area that I know about: MU Law promotes the fact that it is the only law school in Milwaukee and, therefore, must train lawyers that can assist the community (i.e. public defenders, district attorneys, family law, etc).  It promotes "hands on" lawyering and bringin justice to those who may not have ready access to it over theoretical and "textbook" educations.  In truth, a practical approach and a theoretical approach must be part of any good curriculum (sp?), but as an institution MU law pushes the practical over the theoretical.  Elitist?  No way. 

Totally agree... to be honest, I don't think the average citizen realizes everything that MU provides to the Milwaukee community (service, well-educated citizens, national profile, etc.)...

But, that's ok... we as MU alumni need to represent the school and ourselves well, and then people will realize how great MU really is :-)

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2008, 04:36:02 PM »

I need an answer.

Listen I even gave props the blue collar workers by saying that it is those guys who make this state run

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 04:52:37 PM »
Marquette came out to my high school (catholic) way down in Albuquerque, NM.  After a visit I fell in love with the place, but never would have considered it without that recruiter making it out.  Any 18 year old kid is going to, for the most part, listen to the adults in his life when it comes to college choices.  

Same can be said for my wife who was in a high school in Germany (DODDs)...MU recruiter came out, maintained contact with anyone showing the slightest interest in MU and got people in the door.  Later I encouraged my younger cousin, also from New Mexico, to consider MU...he graduated in 2004.

Why is this not happening to a much greater degree in Marquette's own home state?  Clearly, based on size and football UW will always be the big kid on the block in WI...but there is no reason virtually every guidance counselor in WI should be overlooking MU.  And if MU is not sending a recruiter into every private high school and say 50-75% of every public school in the state then that is a shame.  

If the counselors are not going to do it then why can't Marquette do it for them?  Don't know if this is already being done, but...if I were in charge for a day I would aggressively recruit and offer scholarships to the top 10% academic performers in every HS in the state of WI.  You increase the academic standing (perception) within the state, increase exposure as more families have a relative connected MU, and still leave plenty of room for those of us who want to travel to MU.

I don't think we're in a bad place, but maybe there are some things that could be done differently.

MU'92
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 04:54:29 PM by MUinCO »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »
Same can be said for my wife who was in a high school in Germany (DODDs)...MU recruiter came out, maintained contact with anyone showing the slightest interest in MU and got people in the door.  Later I encouraged my younger cousin, also from New Mexico, to consider MU...he graduated in 2004.

Exactly my situation.. I was at Lakenheath AFB in England my Junior & Senior year of high school (also a DODD school).  MU "recruiter" came out and represented MU at a college fair that was at the school.. I was walking around, saw the girl I was interested in checking out the nursing program there.. decided to see what it was about.. MU had engineering.. worked for me.. other high school teacher said "MU? Very big basketball school."  I was hooked so I applied.

Most of my family is from Madison so I also applied to UW.  Last application was to Iowa State because they were also at the fair and had a decent looking engineering program.  I got accepted by all three so I had to make a decision.  never even got a chance to see any of the campuses before accepting.  Those were the days before the WWW was big so I had to look at the brochures and rely on fairly shallow judgements.. I figured UW was too close to the family and too large for my tastes so that was out.. Iowa State was too far from family so that was out.. MU was just the right drive away and gave me a scholarship - we had a winner.  say yeah that one.  Got awfully lucky if you ask me.  That recruiter is what got me even thinking about MU.  The teacher saying "big basketball school" piqued my interest - this being 15 years after our NCAA championship.. hopefully the 2003 final four has an equal impact for as long.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 05:34:49 PM »

Listen I even gave props the blue collar workers by saying that it is those guys who make this state run

I think I know what you are trying to get at... but giving "props" to a group and then making a broad generalization in the same thought isn't going to get you very far.

I do realize that the majority of WI residents do identify with UW... but to select out groups/professions (especially ones not featured at MU) and ask (in an accusatory manner) "why are they all UW fans?" makes you sound arrogant. I'm sorry. It just does.

A lot of people in the state already have a pre-conceived notions about MU being elitist (an incorrect notion I might add), so please do not give them another reason to believe that.

I am also frustrated that more people don't root for MU but rather follow UW... but I guess I also realize that being a Catholic University is automatically going to turn off a good percentage of the population. Nothing we can do about that. Some people aren't Catholic, and/or choose not to identify with a Catholic institution. 

Also, many UW-(insert letter) students and alumni identify with UW-Madison. The whole "state school system" is in play.

I know a couple of Duke alums, and they said it's the same way in North Carolina. Duke gets a ton of national attention, but in their own backyard, UNC and even NC State have a big(ger) presence among the local community.

Hey, come to think of it, why the heck not? I'm helping pay Bo Ryan's salary... why shouldn't I root for them?  ;)

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2008, 05:54:16 PM »
I am not from wisconsin but this is also a topic that seriously bothers me. for example, walking back from the UW- MU game that was played at the bradley center last year, i was completely crushed. i had been up since 5 am and was just crushed by the loss in that game. walking back to my dorm i ran into a fellow MU student from green bay, i looked at him and said, "ohh my god was that a crappy game." his wisconsinite response, "who cares, alando tucker is tha man and WE are going to make the final four this year." when i got to MU i gave up all my sports allegiances to schools not named Marquette. how come kids from wisconsin cant do the same? or at least pretend to care about the school they go to?

It's an extremely small part of the population here. I only know one student who pulls for UW over MU. Never ceases to confound and annoy me, but it is what it is.

superfan1387

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2008, 09:04:15 PM »
i only wish it was a small number of students, i can think of at least 15 people i know here that wear their UW stuff all the time and admit to caring more about any sports team from UW than MU. i wish they were the only people guilty of this, but sadly i think there are more

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2008, 09:48:26 PM »
i only wish it was a small number of students, i can think of at least 15 people i know here that wear their UW stuff all the time and admit to caring more about any sports team from UW than MU. i wish they were the only people guilty of this, but sadly i think there are more

Caring about the small amount of UW fans at MU would be like worrying about a Red Sox fan in the Bronx.  I wouldn't worry about those with their minds firmly made up one way or the other.  Take a page from the politicians' playbook and worry about converting "swing students" who aren't active fans of any university. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:04:54 PM by Wareagle »

timinatorx3

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2008, 10:01:07 PM »
On a related note, I know somebody (a MU student) from East Lansing, MI, who was so torn between cheering for MU and cheering for MSU in the tourney last year. This same person said that MSU had better fans than MU because they care so much, wait outside so early for so long for games, etc., yet never wants to wait outside early for MU games and skips games frequently for homework and such. I find this whole thing ridiculous. I think people should take pride in their school and want their school to be and be seen as one of the best instead of finding reasons why their "hometown" school which they do not attend is better than the school they attend.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »
Ask them why they lost a home game in the NCAA tournament at the Bradley Center with 17,000 Badger fans.
Thanks for the memories.  It was wonderful to see 17000 sad red faces walking dejectedly out of the Bradley Center - my team's home floor.  I wore my MU gold proudly - and when people made fun or asked why I told them I would never watch a college basketball game at the Bradley Center without it.  One of the best tournament games I've been to - behind the 2 MU games @ Indy 2003 of course.

By the way, Wisc. should have lost to Richmond the game before; thankfully Pitt made it happen.