'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: JS covers the KSU scrimmage .. very interesting.  (Read 7112 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
JS covers the KSU scrimmage .. very interesting.
« on: October 31, 2006, 09:12:17 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=10/31/2006&id=13661

TUESDAY, Oct. 31, 2006, 8:13 p.m.
By Todd Rosiak

MU-Kansas State scrimmage recap
NCAA rules mandated it couldn't be publicized, scores couldn't be kept and no one other than team personnel were allowed.

That aside, the marathon practice session the Marquette Golden Eagles went through at Kansas State last weekend were so productive that coach Tom Crean is now considering doing it twice next season - effectively replacing both the exhibition games his team would otherwise play - if it makes sense financially.

"It's by far one of the most valuable things I've ever done in my eight years of being at Marquette for us to help prepare our basketball team to be better," he said. "No question about it."

Crean and new Wildcats coach Bob Huggins worked out the details earlier this off-season and on Sunday MU made its way to Manhattan, Kan. where the two teams practiced for about three hours total, with a three-hour break in between.

Just about every type of game and time situation was covered, and an all-out scrimmage took place as well.

"It was a late January, early February environment; there just weren't any people there," said Crean. "But as far as the competitiveness on the floor, the quickness, the speed, it's just really hard to duplicate that in your practices.

"We got a chance to get a look at just about everything under game conditions, with top-notch referees and going against a team that really is going to be a tough, tough team. I love the road value that you get from it as well."

Crean said the Golden Eagles also got a good look at what they need to improve upon.

"There are a lot of flaws and at this time of year, every program is going to be the same way," he said. "Obviously we saw a lot of different screen-and-cut situations to give us something to work toward on the defensive end. We've got to rebound better on both ends, no question about it. We have to improve our spacing and our ability to make perimeter jump shots. And we've got to be able to play harder longer."

Once rivals in Conference USA when Huggins was at Cincinnati, each coach spoke to the other's team at one point during the day.

"We have a mutual respect for each other," Crean said. "I said to my team that we'd go as far as Fairbanks, Alaska to scrimmage a Bob Huggins team because you're going to walk out of there having a feel for where your toughness is, what your ability is to rebound, how you execute under pressure and how you compete at a high level.

"We were not disappointed one iota with what we were able to learn. I feel really good for Bob in the sense that if they learn to listen to him and buy into his ability to mold championship-level basketball teams, they will be really surprised at how much better they're going to get. Because they're pretty good right now, with the ability to get a lot better."

Crean said Huggins has already committed to coming to MU next season under the same circumstances.

"That's what we talked about," said Crean, who added there were also no injuries of note. "Both of us plan on Kansas State coming back to Marquette."

MU, ranked 17th in the pre-season ESPN/USA Today coaches poll, hosts Cardinal Stritch in an exhibition game on Sunday, then opens the regular season Nov. 10 against Division II Hillsdale College.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
Wichita Eagle story..
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 07:57:42 AM »
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/colleges/kansas_state_university/15897172.htm

Marquette exhibition benefits Wildcats
Marquette's Dominic James might be the best point guard in the country.

Only a sophomore, the 5-foot-11 James has been named to several preseason All-America teams. He averaged 15.4 points and 5.3 assists as a freshman, and those numbers should improve this season.

Bob Huggins and the Kansas State Wildcats saw him up close Sunday, during a closed-door scrimmage at Bramlage Coliseum, and Huggins came away impressed.

"He's good, really good," he said. "He's the real deal."

But James didn't go off. That was confirmed by Marquette associate athletic director Mike Broeker, who attended the scrimmage. It was an off day for the Golden Eagles, whose coaches were out on the recruiting trail and were not available.

Score wasn't kept, but Broeker said K-State's defense was not only solid but familiar. The Wildcats' effort reminded him of Huggins' teams at Cincinnati.

"The experience was invaluable and the quality of play was high," Broeker said.

Instead of playing another exhibition game against another Division II opponent, Huggins and Marquette coach Tom Crean decided to meet. The Wildcats will return the favor next season.

"I thought it was great being able to work against a team of that caliber," Huggins said of Marquette, which is ranked 17th in the USA Today/ESPN coaches poll.

The intensity, which Broeker equated to a conference game in January or February, was top-notch.

"From a pure basketball standpoint, it doesn't get any better than scrimmaging Marquette," Huggins said.

As for standouts, Huggins didn't mention how well Cartier Martin and David Hoskins performed, but he said those two are the only certain starters for Saturday's exhibition against Washburn (for which 13,200 tickets are accounted for, according to sports information official Tom Gilbert). He said Lance Harris and Akeem Wright played well, raving particularly about Wright's shot, which was falling with regularity.

There was plenty, however, Huggins wants to see improved, such as rebounding, offensive execution, defensive intensity -- basically, everything.

But Broeker was impressed.

"That's a pretty good team they have down there," he said.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: JS covers the KSU scrimmage .. very interesting.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:49:40 AM »
Personally, I love the fact that Crean is considering doing away with both exhibition games next year.  However I can't see MU giving up TWO home games - even though it would be best for the team, and the season ticket holders probably dont' care either.

Oh Well  :-\

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 09:56:07 AM »
I don't like paying for the crap exhibition games---but it is better than paying for the Nike All-Stars of a few years ago.   :)

But I was talking to the wife this morning and we were talking about whether or not to make the drive in from Madison for a 7 pm sunday game vs. Cardinal strich.  Our conclusion, use it as an exhibition game for us too.  Find the best route around construction, find out if parking has changed, check out new concessions, etc.   :D

Someone else referenced it somewhere else, but I could see Marquette going to a varied price structure in a few years for season tix.  $10 for preseason, but $75 for UW or UConn, etc.  Mainly just to avoid the ridiculousness of having a $28 dollar price tag on an exhibition ticket.  Net/net the total price wouldn't increase ( ::)), but the prices would be more fairly assigned to each game.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:17:16 AM »
Couple things .. My wife and I were having that same discussion.  We'll go to one of the exhibitions, just need to pick one.   With a 4 month old, we need to pick our games carefully, and are using the OOC schedule as .. many .. trial runs .. as the BC will be half empty for most of those games.

I would welcome a change in ticket prices, where some games are valued higher, and others become much, much cheaper. -- AS LONG AS the final dollar amount remains close to the same.  That way, when I blow off a Morgan State game, I don't feel a $60 hole in my pocket. -- Of course, MU would need to really explain that very well, as long time ticket holders could get pissed if they suddenly see a $75 UW ticket price, if they don't immediately notice the other games are $10.

With all that ESPN money flowing in, hopefully the ticket package can remain at the same level, as it's getting pretty far up there.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
? for hilltopper or anyone else with small kids/babies
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 10:44:53 AM »
We are having our first kid in Dec.  Do you pony up the $250 for the B&G coat room or do you just deal with all that baby stuff at your seats.  I know there's a coat check as well.  what do you do w/ car seats, etc?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 11:47:26 AM »
ESPN Insider also has an article.  Here's the "free" snippet...

Link to article
-------------
Rare scrimmage: K-State-Marquette
posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006  |  Feedback  |  Print Entry

Marquette and Kansas State staged a unique high-profile scrimmage Sunday in Manhattan, Kan.

Usually these scrimmages are held with local teams, or at least comparable mid-major teams. Most high-majors can't afford to lose an exhibition gate from playing a scrimmage (schools can't charge, let alone have any fans or media come to the event under NCAA rules), but Marquette coach Tom Crean and Kansas State coach Bob Huggins got together to help each other's team prepare for the season.

Crean said Tuesday that Huggins has a similar team to the ones Huggins coached at Cincinnati. Crean said the Wildcats played with the type of intensity he was familiar with when he went against Huggins in Conference USA.

More...

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 12:12:23 PM »
That aside, the marathon practice session the Marquette Golden Eagles went through at Kansas State last weekend were so productive that coach Tom Crean is now considering doing it twice next season - effectively replacing both the exhibition games his team would otherwise play - if it makes sense financially.

I have a feeling MU will hit up Indiania next year for a scrimmage.  Sampson and Crean are close, we now have Bennie, and the coaches all love the hard/ tough practices.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 01:04:03 PM »
We are having our first kid in Dec.  Do you pony up the $250 for the B&G coat room or do you just deal with all that baby stuff at your seats.  I know there's a coat check as well.  what do you do w/ car seats, etc?
Ziggy .. not sure what the answer to that one is, yet.  I think we will NOT bring the car seat into the BC.  All it would help do is ferry the child to and from the car.  One could just carry or Bjorn the kid in.

I had a friend who, on lowly attended games, would bring in her stroller and park it in the handicapped areas around the 1st floor of the BC.  I imagine that could work, but only if the handicapped areas aren't in use by, you know, handicapped people, so that's a crap shoot at best.

I think the end result is that an extra 10 minutes needs to be built in to our pre and post-game routine to perhaps do drop off/pick up with the car.