Main Menu
collapse

Resources

Recent Posts

Sheek in the Portal? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:55:52 PM]


Big East offseason news by MuMark
[Today at 06:56:22 PM]


‘26-27 Schedule by MU90620
[Today at 04:48:55 PM]


Scrimmages and Exhibition games of interest by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:25:07 PM]


Nyok commits to Marquette! by MuggsyB
[Today at 02:39:23 PM]


Marquette Overload Redesign by TallTitan34
[Today at 01:49:03 PM]


Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:43:29 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address. We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or signup NOW!


Uncle Rico

Quote from: MU82 on October 08, 2026, 09:57:21 AMExcellent posts, TAMU and Rico.

My point was that while the big boyz obviously have much more margin for error, numerous little guys can - and do - contend by running great all-around organizations centered on talent acquisition, development and culture.

There is an easy path toward a more financially level playing field, and it's true revenue sharing.

Yes, my post "left something out." But for some, the final eight could be seven small-market teams and the Dodgers ... and if the Dodgers win the World Series on a bloop hit in the 14th inning of Game 7, the conclusion will be, "See, nobody else can even compete!"


Baseball ownership from the first day baseball was organized into leagues have been the issue.  It's one of America's true consistencies.
🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷

cheebs09

I think that's what makes the Dodgers so tough. They have basically taken the small market mentality ability to identify talent and have endless amounts of money. I think it's what the Mets were hoping out of Stearns.

The Dodgers success is more than just an infinite checkbook.

Jockey

Quote from: cheebs09 on October 08, 2026, 10:09:27 AMI think that's what makes the Dodgers so tough. They have basically taken the small market mentality ability to identify talent and have endless amounts of money. I think it's what the Mets were hoping out of Stearns.

The Dodgers success is more than just an infinite checkbook.

Great point, cheebs. Meanwhile the Mets think that just spending money without the scouting & player development is the answer. Stearns built a team in Milwaukee to compete, but Cohen doesn't have the patience to let him combine spending with player acquisition and development.

Jockey

Quote from: forgetful on October 08, 2026, 12:40:25 AMThat's pretty ridiculous. What a team.

It was needed. That was the worst 5 game defensive middle infield stretch that I can remember from the Brewers.

wadesworld

Quote from: TSmith34, Inc. on October 08, 2026, 08:23:02 AMHe has been late/unable to square up on anything the entire series

And it was the same problem last year in the Playoffs for him.

cheebs09

While they didn't put up a lot of runs, I do think this year the batting order is more balanced. It felt like last year, once you got past maybe 5 or 6, there were 3 automatic outs coming. Granted, Ortiz didn't have a good series, but the bottom of the order can at least string some hits together and put pressure on pitching.


At the end of the day, the Brewers need to put pressure on the Dodgers starters. Last year, they barely got into the bullpen and the starters cruised.

The Sultan

Quote from: Jockey on October 08, 2026, 10:20:33 AMGreat point, cheebs. Meanwhile the Mets think that just spending money without the scouting & player development is the answer. Stearns built a team in Milwaukee to compete, but Cohen doesn't have the patience to let him combine spending with player acquisition and development.

I do kinda wonder how much Matt Arnold was the guy doing the actual work in Milwaukee. That might be unfair...
"I am one of those who think the best friend of a nation is he who most faithfully rebukes her for her sins—and he her worst enemy, who, under the specious and popular garb of patriotism, seeks to excuse, palliate, and defend them" - Frederick Douglass

MU82

Quote from: Jockey on October 08, 2026, 10:20:33 AMGreat point, cheebs. Meanwhile the Mets think that just spending money without the scouting & player development is the answer. Stearns built a team in Milwaukee to compete, but Cohen doesn't have the patience to let him combine spending with player acquisition and development.

Yup. "He won in Minnesota, so just imagine what he'll accomplish with the Cubs" was a similar fallacy that led to mostly frustration under Andy MacPhail.
"It's not how white men fight." - Tucker Carlson

"Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." - George Washington

"In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

GB Warrior

Quote from: Uncle Rico on October 08, 2026, 09:19:12 AMHow the Rays and Brewers spend their money is always overlooked.  I can't speak for Tampa, but Milwaukee spends internationally and in development. They could spend more on payroll, but paying Burnes, Adames, Williams, Hader, and Peralta was never going to happen, and quite frankly, nor should it have.  They maximized the value of all of them and would have gotten diminishing returns had they handed out the contracts they got or will get.

They're going to do it with Contreras and Turang as well.  Those may play out differently as far as what they go on to do but they'll fill those positions on their terms.

I've said this ad nauseam about the Dodgers. They mix large contracts with one of the best run overall organizations in the game.  It mirrors the Yankees of the 90's and the Red Sox of the 00's.  You can spend all you want, but no success is guaranteed.  It's what the Mets have failed to do the past half decade.

What the large markets have, is the capability to absorb bad contracts.  The Brewers can do that with one, maybe two.  That's the difference.  And even the Mets and Yankees can get hamstrung with bad contracts if their organization can't develop young talent.

When Reds ownership bemoaned not being Milwaukee, it's time for a deep dive into your people running the org.  It isn't all luck, there is some of that, but it's about people, process, and understanding how to invest in them and it.

Like JB with the cute ball boy at the pickleball tournament, Rico fcking nailed it.

I know Vlad got derided for his comments that he was paid for past performance but there is a lot of truth that you are paid because of scarcity and perceived certainty for the first few years of the deal, and everything else is a crapshoot or negative value.

The brewers will never pay a pitcher because the risk is too high that you never get that value in the front years because of injury. Paying Corbin would have been a death sentence.

I am very interested in what the CBA does to the parts that aren't the salary cap. There's been discussion of an international draft that I think would be unfairly damaging to the infrastructure they've laid in international markets.

Spotcheck Billy

Quote from: MuggsyB on October 08, 2026, 08:51:54 AMIt was a moronic comment.  And A.J. Perzinski was also openly rooting for SD all four games.  Immediate dismissals should be on the table.  Do your job.  :)
Does he try looking like JD Vance intentionally?

TSmith34, Inc.

Great news for Pete Rose:

"I worked hard to get a man named Pete Rose into the Baseball Hall of Fame before he died.

And Pete was sort of a friend of mine, but more than a friend. I used to watch him, Charlie Hustle. What — that guy was a great player, right? He had 4,256 hits, a record they say probably can never be broken, probably can't. And I called the commissioner of baseball. He's a nice guy. And I said, Commissioner, you gotta let this guy in. He's waited for years, like what, 40 years or something?...

So, the commissioner told me he was going to do it, but it took him a long time. He waited and waited. I called him, when are you doing it? Oh, I'm going to do it. And he announced it right after Pete died."
"The greatest economy in the history of the world is on the horizon."

Uncle Rico

Quote from: TSmith34, Inc. on October 08, 2026, 05:03:48 PMGreat news for Pete Rose:

"I worked hard to get a man named Pete Rose into the Baseball Hall of Fame before he died.

And Pete was sort of a friend of mine, but more than a friend. I used to watch him, Charlie Hustle. What — that guy was a great player, right? He had 4,256 hits, a record they say probably can never be broken, probably can't. And I called the commissioner of baseball. He's a nice guy. And I said, Commissioner, you gotta let this guy in. He's waited for years, like what, 40 years or something?...

So, the commissioner told me he was going to do it, but it took him a long time. He waited and waited. I called him, when are you doing it? Oh, I'm going to do it. And he announced it right after Pete died."

Like POTUS, Pete was a pedophile
🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷

MU82

Still not in the Hall of Fame. Still unlikely to get there.
"It's not how white men fight." - Tucker Carlson

"Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." - George Washington

"In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Shaka Shart

Quote from: Uncle Rico on October 08, 2026, 05:06:23 PMLike POTUS, Pete was a pedophile

Just like presidential medal of freedom receiver Roger Clemens
#BanGBWarrior

Uncle Rico

Quote from: Shaka Shart on October 08, 2026, 05:30:40 PMJust like presidential medal of freedom receiver Roger Clemens

Pedophilia is a platform for some political parties nowadays.  As long as we don't have affordable healthcare and we keep minorities down, its ok for some
🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷

MuggsyB

Quote from: Jockey on October 08, 2026, 10:22:27 AMIt was needed. That was the worst 5 game defensive middle infield stretch that I can remember from the Brewers.

This is a good point.  The Brewers did not play their best vs SD.  Far from it.  Really good teams find ways to win with their B- game.  The Brewers will hace to play better vs LA, but they absolutely can. 

MuggsyB

Quote from: Shaka Shart on October 08, 2026, 05:30:40 PMJust like presidential medal of freedom receiver Roger Clemens

There's no way to defend why this award was bestowed on Clemens. 

Jockey

Roger has good knee pads.

Jay Bee

Quote from: GB Warrior on October 08, 2026, 02:55:40 PMLike JB with the cute ball boy at the pickleball tournament, Rico fcking nailed it.

I am very interested in what the CBA does to the parts that aren't the salary cap. There's been discussion of an international draft that I think would be unfairly damaging to the infrastructure they've laid in international markets.

There aren't usually ball boys at pickleball tournaments. We keep using the same ball - like reeko at the bathhouse, there's a lot of bending over.

Over the past couple of months I've played a lot with the wife of a current MLB player. She's very athletic (D-I athlete) and one of my favorite females to play with - great aggression and skill - both doubles and singles.

Unfortunately, they have left Minnesota for the offseason. If there's a lockout, that will delay the time until their return to Minnesota, so no more pb here for awhile :(

Nonetheless, I do have a mixed doubles 4.0-4.25 tournament tomorrow afternoon. Have not decided on my jersey, but it'll be either Markus, Fru or Nigel. We are market
The portal is NOT closed.

Uncle Rico

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 08, 2026, 09:18:12 PMThere aren't usually ball boys at pickleball tournaments. We keep using the same ball - like reeko at the bathhouse, there's a lot of bending over.

Over the past couple of months I've played a lot with the wife of a current MLB player. She's very athletic (D-I athlete) and one of my favorite females to play with - great aggression and skill - both doubles and singles.

Unfortunately, they have left Minnesota for the offseason. If there's a lockout, that will delay the time until their return to Minnesota, so no more pb here for awhile :(

Nonetheless, I do have a mixed doubles 4.0-4.25 tournament tomorrow afternoon. Have not decided on my jersey, but it'll be either Markus, Fru or Nigel. We are market

Hope your tiny hands can manage holding a paddle that long.

How do you know what happens at bath houses?  The lady doth protest too much.
🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷

Pakuni

Quote from: MuggsyB on October 08, 2026, 06:45:01 PMThere's no way to defend why this award was bestowed on Clemens. 

Just a couple of regular dudes into teenage girls.

StillAWarrior

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

Tough ending for the Sox, but they had one helluva turnaround season.

21 strikeouts out of 27 outs - live by big, balls-to-the-wall swings; die by big, balls-to-the-wall swings.
"It's not how white men fight." - Tucker Carlson

"Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." - George Washington

"In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Pakuni

I should have listened to 18th and State.

Dish

I blame me for being enthusiastic these last few months.

Previous topic - Next topic