[Today at 02:04:28 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[Today at 01:26:38 PM]

Big East Media Day by MU82
[Today at 01:21:18 PM]

Tyler's Point Total by JWags85
[Today at 09:13:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Tip-Off Luncheon

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Luncheon

Date/Time: Oct 31, 2024 11:30am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scrimmage  (Read 26494 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Scrimmage
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2024, 12:07:10 PM »
We'll see.   Never stop doing you.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2024, 12:15:52 PM »
My bad... the group think board members with 100,000 posts each have convinced me my sound logic is actually wrong!   :-[

Regardless I surveyed all our opponent's coaching staffs and they also all agreed that redshirting Joshua Clark was a great idea.  When I asked them to elaborate, the consensus was they didn't like the idea of a 7'1 shot blocker and finisher being added to Marquette's arsenal of talent this season.  They're very afraid he might be able to make a positive impact in games for Marquette, and especially with big question marks at the 5 with Hamilton and Gold.  They applauded the board's stance that nothing good comes of a player with a big upside getting playing time and experience early in their career.  Finally, they went on to say that hopefully he grows another inch and puts on 20 lbs. while redshirting this year and gets convinced to transfer or go to an NBA developmental league so they never have to face him. 

After all even a 17 year old Markus Howard was not a valuable contributor to Marquette when he averaged 13 points a game for us as a freshman. 

Finally, 7'1 athletic players grow on trees and are easy to get.  After all, look at the recent luck Marquette had in trying to get a 6'10 Kai Rogers in our backyard. 

Thanks again to the board for helping me see the light!   ::)

Markus was a top 100 recruit that could’ve gone to a huge number of high major programs. 247 shows no other offers from D1 programs for Joshua Clark.

But yeah. He’s basically Markus Howard, but add 14 inches of height. Great comp.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2024, 12:18:19 PM »
Finally, 7'1 athletic players grow on trees and are easy to get.  After all, look at the recent luck Marquette had in trying to get a 6'10 Kai Rogers in our backyard. 

For sure. Yous Mbao not starting was Buzz’s demise. 7’2” and barely played. Big Buzz blunder.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2024, 12:44:18 PM by Jay Bee »
REJOICE! Eric Dixon has been suspended!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2024, 12:23:35 PM »
If Joshua Clark is actually being held back by this coaching staff, then they are the greatest coaching staff in history.  5 short months ago, MU signed him out of nowhere.  He was 7' without a high major offer. 
   In only 5 months, he has gone from 'who', to 'wow'.  From questioning Shaka's sanity to questioning Shaka's sanity.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2024, 12:34:18 PM »
If Joshua Clark is actually being held back by this coaching staff, then they are the greatest coaching staff in history.  5 short months ago, MU signed him out of nowhere.  He was 7' without a high major offer. 
   In only 5 months, he has gone from 'who', to 'wow'.  From questioning Shaka's sanity to questioning Shaka's sanity.
Recruiting and even drafting four years later is never an exact science.

Tony Mandarich was a can’t miss prospect when being taking #2 overall in the NFL draft.

Dwyane Wade was lightly recruited and we had to originally beat out teams like Illinois State after even DuhPaul passed on him.

There are countless examples of extreme busts and extreme surprises.

If a kid is 7’1 and passes the eye test and becomes your leading scorer in a scrimmage regardless of the circumstances in how he did it… you need to evaluate if he can help us this year regardless of his recruiting ratings. Just common sense. 🤷‍♂️

tower912

• All American
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2024, 12:36:56 PM »
I am sure the coaches are.   Do you still hold to your thesis that Shaka should abandon the upperclassmen and play all of the freshmen?   This is just a continuation of that argument.   You do not believe in the returning players.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2024, 12:52:39 PM »

Tony Mandarich was a can’t miss prospect when being taking #2 overall in the NFL draft.

Dwyane Wade was lightly recruited and we had to originally beat out teams like Illinois State after even DuhPaul passed on him.

If a kid is 7’1 and passes the eye test and becomes your leading scorer in a scrimmage regardless of the circumstances in how he did it… you need to evaluate if he can help us this year regardless of his recruiting ratings. Just common sense. 🤷‍♂️

Dwyane Wade wasn’t eligible to play at most high major schools. You’re killing these comparisons today. Totally apples to apples. Joshua Clark is Dwyane Wade and Markus Howard in Dodds’s blender. Too bad Shaka is incompetent and opposing coaches are rejoicing, and Joshua will transfer for a year before being a lottery pick.

WWMFD?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2024, 01:01:07 PM »

What would common sense tell you about someone who thinks they know more than Shaka from one scrimmage? 

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2024, 01:03:05 PM »
I am sure the coaches are.   Do you still hold to your thesis that Shaka should abandon the upperclassmen and play all of the freshmen?   This is just a continuation of that argument.   You do not believe in the returning players.
It’s ok to admit I make good points instead of silly, extreme word twisting of what I’ve written previously. Hence why I usually don’t respond at all as most the people on this board talk to hear themselves and post absolute gibberish.

However I still like Tower and his post game summaries are good and very accurate.

So yes, if Royce Parham is a more effective shooter, rebounder and scorer than Ben Gold or say even Joplin then I fully support him starting at the 4 over Gold/Joplin.

Many teams start and play true freshman if it gives them the best chance to win. I’m not a big believer in Joplin and Gold in what I’ve seen thus far. Both are good players at times but have not shown to be great players to date and am open to the fact that some of the freshman might be better than them. 🤷‍♂️

Same goes for anyone on the roster. If Damarius Owens is even better and more effective than Chase Ross then Damarius should start and get more minutes.

Neither of the above are silly/crazy hypotheticals either as Parham and Owens and possible even Clark could all be critical components to this year’s team based in what I’ve seen thus far.

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2024, 01:49:42 PM »
I was also at the scrimmage.  Clark is not ready to play this year, but im excited to see what he can be 2 years from now.

He did a great job of finding the open spots around the rim when the entire defense collapsed on Kams drives.

But he also only had 1 rebound the entire scrimmage, was often lost on defense and was subbed out often due to being gassed after playing just short minutes.  He needs the game to slow down, get in better shape and put on a lot of weight to hold up defensively as a rim protector in the Big East, but that is all expected from a young incoming freshman.  Shaka and staff will get him there, but a year of just practice and weights will be great for him.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2024, 02:38:31 PM »
I was also at the scrimmage.  Clark is not ready to play this year, but im excited to see what he can be 2 years from now.

He did a great job of finding the open spots around the rim when the entire defense collapsed on Kams drives.

But he also only had 1 rebound the entire scrimmage, was often lost on defense and was subbed out often due to being gassed after playing just short minutes.  He needs the game to slow down, get in better shape and put on a lot of weight to hold up defensively as a rim protector in the Big East, but that is all expected from a young incoming freshman.  Shaka and staff will get him there, but a year of just practice and weights will be great for him.
How are you gassed and then also be down the court at the same to be in a position for lob dunks which he had a lot of as he led the team in scoring?  Seems like a contradiction doesn’t it?

Some of what you said is true but could also be said for any freshman or young player period could it not?

And as I pointed out in another post he was subbed early in the first half a couple of times and the coaches called him over before going out to discuss some kind of teaching point. If he was subbed out due to conditioning alone they would have just let him just go to the end of the bench for some rest.

Whoever was guarding him and allowed all the open dunks needs lectures on defensive positioning as I didn’t notice him defensively one way or the other from this scrimmage alone. But that’s a whole different topic as the defender of the penetrator is mostly at fault when guys get open for lob dunks.

It’s ok to see different things.

I think he could help us this year and made my case for why redshirting him might not be the best decision. Others feel differently and that is ok too.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2024, 05:31:19 PM by duanewade »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2024, 02:54:30 PM »
We just think it’s funny that you are basing this on an intersquad scrimmage versus simply trusting the coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2024, 04:13:36 PM »
We just think it’s funny that you are basing this on an intersquad scrimmage versus simply trusting the coach.

There was more than just the scrimmage in his post. He surveyed all of our opponents' coaching staffs about Clark.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2024, 04:27:52 PM »
My bad... the group think board members with 100,000 posts each have convinced me my sound logic is actually wrong!   :-[

Regardless I surveyed all our opponent's coaching staffs and they also all agreed that redshirting Joshua Clark was a great idea.  When I asked them to elaborate, the consensus was they didn't like the idea of a 7'1 shot blocker and finisher being added to Marquette's arsenal of talent this season.  They're very afraid he might be able to make a positive impact in games for Marquette, and especially with big question marks at the 5 with Hamilton and Gold.  They applauded the board's stance that nothing good comes of a player with a big upside getting playing time and experience early in their career.  Finally, they went on to say that hopefully he grows another inch and puts on 20 lbs. while redshirting this year and gets convinced to transfer or go to an NBA developmental league so they never have to face him. 

After all even a 17 year old Markus Howard was not a valuable contributor to Marquette when he averaged 13 points a game for us as a freshman. 

This is exceedingly dumb, even for you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2024, 04:28:56 PM »

Thanks!  Wasn’t sure you were an idiot, but this convinced me.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2024, 07:23:05 PM »
How are you gassed and then also be down the court at the same to be in a position for lob dunks which he had a lot of as he led the team in scoring?  Seems like a contradiction doesn’t it?

Some of what you said is true but could also be said for any freshman or young player period could it not?

And as I pointed out in another post he was subbed early in the first half a couple of times and the coaches called him over before going out to discuss some kind of teaching point. If he was subbed out due to conditioning alone they would have just let him just go to the end of the bench for some rest.

Whoever was guarding him and allowed all the open dunks needs lectures on defensive positioning as I didn’t notice him defensively one way or the other from this scrimmage alone. But that’s a whole different topic as the defender of the penetrator is mostly at fault when guys get open for lob dunks.

It’s ok to see different things.

I think he could help us this year and made my case for why redshirting him might not be the best decision. Others feel differently and that is ok too.
Imagine Bradley Beal calling out Shaka for his amazing work with Oso...what a dope...duanewade realizes Shaka doesn't even know talent let alone develop it.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2024, 03:15:30 AM »
duanewade has made a strong case for Scoop Offseason MVP. A bit of out of nowhere too, his moneyline was +1100 in late April.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2024, 12:10:02 PM »
I don’t know. After scanning this horrific thread I think Brewcity77 wrapped up that prize. Beware of recency bias:)

feedback