[October 22, 2024, 07:09:33 PM]

Recruiting as of 9/15/24 by We R Final Four
[October 22, 2024, 06:51:53 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Oldgym
[October 22, 2024, 05:29:19 PM]

Marquette Retiring Jim Chones Jersey by Nukem2
[October 22, 2024, 04:06:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Tip-Off Luncheon

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Luncheon

Date/Time: Oct 31, 2024 11:30am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule  (Read 106295 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: 2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2024, 08:27:14 PM »
Kind of bitter toward a once and future conference opponent.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #251 on: July 10, 2024, 09:10:47 PM »
Marquette's hands were likely tied on this one when the NC State game fell through. Look at the calendar. Starting November 4th, we don't have more than 3 days off between games until December 7th. No chance they were scheduling a game during Finals Week, so that means they had a likely 3-day window between Friday, December 13th and Sunday, December 15th to schedule an additional game.

I have no doubt they exhausted every high major possibility and every neutral site option during that time. Ultimately, they were likely stuck with either a buy game (not ideal because they already have 5 buy level games with the home MTE) or taking an H/H with a program a step below what they would prefer. I wouldn't blame this one on Marquette, blame it on Kevin Keatts.

With all of that in mind, couldn't Marquette simply have "bought" Dayton, rather than an H and H??

I routinely check UD Pride ( but have NEVER posted there) and I know as well as anyone that they are obsessed with the Big East and even more obsessed with MU ( among other reasons, they are convinced that MU, in cahoots with Xavier, blackballed them from BE membership back in 2013).

I think Dayton would have agreed to play MU, or just about any other BE team, on any terms presented to them.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2024, 09:22:07 PM »
With all of that in mind, couldn't Marquette simply have "bought" Dayton, rather than an H and H??

I routinely check UD Pride ( but have NEVER posted there) and I know as well as anyone that they are obsessed with the Big East and even more obsessed with MU ( among other reasons, they are convinced that MU, in cahoots with Xavier, blackballed them from BE membership back in 2013).

I think Dayton would have agreed to play MU, or just about any other BE team, on any terms presented to them.

The Jesuit mafia conspiracy is my favorite Dayton conspiracy. I to have read their forum maybe one or twice a season if I catch a Dayton game on tv. The conspiracy is pretty valid for how Creighton got in but the idea that Xavier, who was leaps and bounds better back then, got in because GTown us and Creighton and that four of us are going to force the conference to add SLU, LU-C or Zags over them again.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #253 on: July 10, 2024, 09:36:07 PM »
All jokes aside, Dayton is a fine opponent and would be fine in the Big East if it came about.  It’s much funnier keeping them out but at least they care about hoops which is more than we can say about DePaul
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #254 on: July 10, 2024, 09:43:14 PM »
Wait until the Dayton posters show up on the board before the game.

"Just you wait ... the Big East will dissolve, and all of your pathetic schools will come begging the A-10 for spots!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2024, 10:36:02 PM »
Incredibly dumb and wasted a major opponent slot for next year too.

Broker just lost his dream as the full time AD with this move and the stupid move of not putting us in a Thanksgiving tournament with real teams.

Our schedule will be mediocre now and on par with Gonzaga who are least smart enough to get major opponents to offset their crappy conference games.

🤡 🤡 🤡

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2024, 11:04:41 PM »

No, I don't think there's any chance of that. Especially not for a team they previously shared a conference with. In the past few years, they've had home-and-homes with Northwestern, Virginia Tech, and Ole Miss, so it's not like getting a high-major into their gym isn't something they are doing regularly. I would say we are certainly their biggest get, but this isn't a program like Buffalo that we happened to get at the exact right time.

I know there's some fan antipathy toward Dayton, but I would say this is a very solid get considering the constraints Marquette was under to put a quality opponent into this slot. It's a likely Q1 road game against a mid-major title contender. They will likely enter the game with a 20+ game home court winning streak. It's one more chance to beat Posh Alexander. And ultimately, we're going to win in a hostile environment and break their Flyer hearts. I'll take all of that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #257 on: July 11, 2024, 06:13:11 AM »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #258 on: July 11, 2024, 07:34:36 AM »
Cherry on top!
…thinking about Viper. Collectively showing you care about Viper. Mrs Viper thanks you all.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #259 on: July 11, 2024, 09:13:06 AM »
Dayton is a POS University/Alumni/City.  Toilet bowl of Ohio.

Lest we not forget when they "tried' to control Great Midwest Conference when they had the "home play-off" championship year after year after year.....Including making all decisions on the whole end of year tournament to favor themselves.....

Never forget......Scum is scum.....Corrupt is Corrupt.....

Let them rot.....

huh? Considering they were only in the GMC for two years and never hosted the tourney I'm not sure what your source for this unhinged version of GMC history is. Perhaps you are confusing them with Louisville who was supposed to be a charter member of the GMC but demanded the conference office be there and they host the tourney every year.

The following were the locations of the GMC men's basketball tournament.

1992: Chicago Stadium; Chicago, Illinois
1993: The Pyramid; Memphis, Tennessee
1994: Shoemaker Center; Cincinnati, Ohio
1995: Bradley Center; Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #260 on: July 11, 2024, 09:23:23 AM »
huh? Considering they were only in the GMC for two years and never hosted the tourney I'm not sure what your source for this unhinged version of GMC history is. Perhaps you are confusing them with Louisville who was supposed to be a charter member of the GMC but demanded the conference office be there and they host the tourney every year.

The following were the locations of the GMC men's basketball tournament.

1992: Chicago Stadium; Chicago, Illinois
1993: The Pyramid; Memphis, Tennessee
1994: Shoemaker Center; Cincinnati, Ohio
1995: Bradley Center; Milwaukee, Wisconsin

“NEVER FORGET!!”

…proceeds to forget every detail…
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #261 on: July 11, 2024, 09:32:06 AM »
Yeah, it was in the MCC where Dayton hosted the league tourney 3 years in a row.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #262 on: July 11, 2024, 10:02:00 AM »
Incredibly dumb and wasted a major opponent slot for next year too.

Broker just lost his dream as the full time AD with this move and the stupid move of not putting us in a Thanksgiving tournament with real teams.

Our schedule will be mediocre now and on par with Gonzaga who are least smart enough to get major opponents to offset their crappy conference games.

Pretty sure the only thing dumb is this post.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #263 on: July 11, 2024, 10:12:15 AM »
No, I don't think there's any chance of that. Especially not for a team they previously shared a conference with. In the past few years, they've had home-and-homes with Northwestern, Virginia Tech, and Ole Miss, so it's not like getting a high-major into their gym isn't something they are doing regularly. I would say we are certainly their biggest get, but this isn't a program like Buffalo that we happened to get at the exact right time.

I know there's some fan antipathy toward Dayton, but I would say this is a very solid get considering the constraints Marquette was under to put a quality opponent into this slot. It's a likely Q1 road game against a mid-major title contender. They will likely enter the game with a 20+ game home court winning streak. It's one more chance to beat Posh Alexander. And ultimately, we're going to win in a hostile environment and break their Flyer hearts. I'll take all of that.

I'll take all of that too. Plus, it's within two hours of my house. That's the biggest benefit of all. I think this is actually a very good H&H for MU.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #264 on: July 11, 2024, 05:43:55 PM »
Yeah, it was in the MCC where Dayton hosted the league tourney 3 years in a row.

That conference tourney was a lot of fun, but yes, huge home court advantage for Dayton. The conference actually had sneaky good talent in 1990 with several future pros: Tony Smith of MU, Tyrone Hill, Derek Strong and Aaron Williams of X, Negele Knight from Dayton, Anthony Bonner of St. Louis and possibly one or two others I can't recall. Dayton upset X in a thriller in the championship after X had won several conf tourneys in a row. The ghetto was insane that night.

Kevin O'Neill did not try to hide how pissed he was about Dayton's home court advantage. MU wasn't long for the MCC from the get go.

• All American
« Reply #265 on: July 11, 2024, 06:11:36 PM »
The MCC sucked. It was a terrible decision by the administration.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #266 on: July 11, 2024, 06:15:41 PM »
It was first step in a time where dropping to D2 was still being discussed.   It wasn't great, but it was a start.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

• All American
« Reply #267 on: July 11, 2024, 06:17:24 PM »
They could have just stayed independent, like DePaul and Notre Dame, until the GMC came around.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #268 on: July 11, 2024, 06:23:29 PM »
It turned out ok.

• All American
« Reply #269 on: July 11, 2024, 06:32:02 PM »
Yep.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #270 on: July 11, 2024, 11:23:24 PM »
I'm not holding a grudge against Dayton for any real or imagined sins, but I always feel compelled to chime in with a hearty "no thanks" when their Big East membership is discussed.

• All American
« Reply #271 on: July 12, 2024, 04:57:29 AM »
I'm not holding a grudge against Dayton for any real or imagined sins, but I always feel compelled to chime in with a hearty "no thanks" when their Big East membership is discussed.

If it would have happened, it would have been prior to the new media deal. So it’s just not happening.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #272 on: July 12, 2024, 05:37:23 AM »
I sat with an administrator at some function in 2003. He told me Crean was so angry at Dayton after the game there, that MU would never do that again. Took 21 years to forget, I guess.

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #273 on: July 12, 2024, 06:42:00 AM »
I sat with an administrator at some function in 2003. He told me Crean was so angry at Dayton after the game there, that MU would never do that again. Took 21 years to forget, I guess.

Well to be fair Shaka was the video assistant? or low ranking assistant on the other side.  My neighbor went to OSU but has told me that Shaka was the coach who was helping him park his car on his recruiting visit to UD.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #274 on: July 12, 2024, 08:37:16 AM »

I was at that game, it was the day after OSU upset Miami for the national title and a good number of fans were wearing Buckeyes gear. We lost in OT, and had a chance to win at the end of regulation after Dayton tied it up at the line (maybe that's what Crean was mad about). It was a great atmosphere and even though it was over break the student section was packed and loud. Dayton was  very good team that year, they made the tourney that year and again the next year.

I'm not sure who is more bitter at us for being left out of the Big East, UD, or SLU. Unfortunately, we lost our last games to each of them.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 09:14:17 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback