[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Whose Scholarship Should Shaka Pull?

GoldBrick
9 (9.3%)
Jolp
14 (14.4%)
Dung
14 (14.4%)
Normal
8 (8.2%)
Zaire
5 (5.2%)
Amaldul
15 (15.5%)
Henderson
13 (13.4%)
Rose
6 (6.2%)
Ownings
5 (5.2%)
Parsnip
8 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:15:18 PM

Author Topic: Whose Scholarship Should Shaka Pull?  (Read 5768 times)

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
Re: Whose Scholarship Should Shaka Pull?
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2024, 02:09:05 PM »
I absolutely hate this time of year with no real information available and BS threads speculating like this one does.  It's totally irresponsible and unfair to the players.  ;-(

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2024, 02:27:00 PM »
I absolutely hate this time of year with no real information available and BS threads speculating like this one does.  It's totally irresponsible and unfair to the players.  ;-(

I used to feel this way but got over it when NIL became a thing. Players are essentially pros and thus a lot more is fair game when discussing the roster.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2024, 02:27:37 PM »

You clearly don’t understand the reason this topic was created.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2024, 08:32:09 AM »
Still two weeks to vote on whose scholarships Shaka should pull to bring in the studs in the portal
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2024, 09:44:38 AM »
Screw the portal unless your in panic mode like the rodents in madison.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2024, 10:57:50 AM »
I am kind of there.  If you have unexpected departures, use the portal.  If you have roster stability and continuity, don't.mess with happy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2024, 11:27:43 AM »
I am kind of there.  If you have unexpected departures, use the portal.  If you have roster stability and continuity, don't.mess with happy.
…if talent via the portal can be added to the front court, please do. Gold, Jop, Al, a RS freshman and 2 incoming freshmen would suggest an addition makes sense, if available.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 12:10:53 PM by Viper »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2024, 11:46:00 AM »
At first, I preferred a PG due to Sean's injury.  Especially if Kam would have tested the NBA waters.

But with Kam's return, I think TAMU's right about Shaka's approach for the upcoming.  It will be a shared responsibility amongst all guards.

Tre, Zaide, and Damarius should be enough depth behind Kam, Stevie, and Chase.  Tre and Zaide played 306 and 296 minutes, respectively.  They should grow into rotation pieces as sophomores.  If Damarius beats them out, bonus. And if Sean returns from injury to provide more depth, that's a bonus.

I'm less certain about the depth behind Jop and Ben.  Royce Parham needs some to add muscle, so he's probably best backing up the 4 this year.  Al and Caedin are projects who picked up basketball later than most of their peers.

Hopefully in the longterm, one of Al or Caedin works out.  But in the short term, I'd prefer a veteran backup C.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2024, 01:20:51 PM »
Gang, ya'll don't get the culture Coach Shaka is trying to build. We don't run anyone off!

I'm sure at the end of season meetings, Coach talked to everyone about what they'd accomplished in 2023-2024 and what they have to do to get a significant part of the 2024-2025 minutes. They can then decide what they want to do as far as sticking with the investment they made in their Marquette careers or going elsewhere.

I hope they all stay and develop.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2024, 01:22:10 PM »
It is nice to agree with you again.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2024, 01:33:51 PM »
Gang, ya'll don't get the culture Coach Shaka is trying to build. We don't run anyone off!

I'm sure at the end of season meetings, Coach talked to everyone about what they'd accomplished in 2023-2024 and what they have to do to get a significant part of the 2024-2025 minutes. They can then decide what they want to do as far as sticking with the investment they made in their Marquette careers or going elsewhere.

I hope they all stay and develop.
however, are 13 scholarships accounted for? If one is available, and portal talent that makes Marquette better is available, why not?…and no one gets run out.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2024, 03:30:25 PM »
however, are 13 scholarships accounted for? If one is available, and portal talent that makes Marquette better is available, why not?…and no one gets run out.

Because it would potentially impact rotations and playing time. 

To be clear, I'm not saying not to use that spot to add someone.  More depth and competition is good.  But if they add a big, for example, that will impact Amadou, Hamilton, and Parham.  And is it a one-year guy or a multi-year guy?

I'm sure Shaka would be transparent and do a great job of communicating with the guys if he made an addition.  But it could lead to someone reconsidering their options. 

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2024, 03:33:12 PM »

because people like to play..

and no one has a 13 man rotation.

honestly the 13th man, if its filled, should be a RSing freshman.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2024, 09:58:25 PM »

The meetings that you describe are exactly what Shaka (or any other good coach) uses to (your words not mine) “run someone off”. You give them an honest assessment (see Ike and Ellis) and “help” them decide what’s in their best interest going forward. I have no idea how Shaka sees Amadou and Hamilton. Maybe he thinks they can be solid contributors at this level, maybe not. But if the answer is no he’d be doing them a disservice by keeping it from them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2024, 10:50:37 PM »
The meetings that you describe are exactly what Shaka (or any other good coach) uses to (your words not mine) “run someone off”. You give them an honest assessment (see Ike and Ellis) and “help” them decide what’s in their best interest going forward. I have no idea how Shaka sees Amadou and Hamilton. Maybe he thinks they can be solid contributors at this level, maybe not. But if the answer is no he’d be doing them a disservice by keeping it from them.

Yep. Some might not want to call it "running someone off," but that's pretty much what Shaka has done several times already.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2024, 05:53:13 AM »
Yep. Some might not want to call it "running someone off," but that's pretty much what Shaka has done several times already.

Like when he ran Jamal Cain off
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2024, 08:19:42 AM »

Brother Lenny:

Maybe we're engaged in debates on language. I see "running someone off" as talking to a young man and telling him his scholarship does not exist and is being used prospectively for another player. That's not something I see Coach Shaka or Marquette doing.

What I see you speaking about is an honest assessment about the player's adaptation to Division 1 basketball. The player then has the option of sticking with Marquette or going somewhere else. It's no different, in most ways, than an employer telling an employee she will not be CEO and that if she wants to be CEO, she needs to work elsewhere. You value her and like her work but she's not going to reach the highest echelons of the firm.

Ironically, the stories I read about Wojo at Duke was very similar to Option 2. Coach K basically told him he wasn't going to start and would be a bit player for Duke in the years ahead. Wojo went out and spent the summer working intensely on his game and came back a starter. That doesn't happen often, I admit, but maybe someone like Al Amadou might get the message, decides he wants to be part of what Coach Shaka is doing and put unGodly amounts of time into his game over the next six months.

You never know.