[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Worst Thing  (Read 2832 times)

wisblue

• All American
The Worst Thing
« on: March 29, 2024, 11:17:01 PM »
No more games to look forward to.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: The Worst Thing
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 11:17:21 PM »
Agreed

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 11:25:26 PM »
What do you mean? Looking forward to November 9th

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 11:31:34 PM »
We got this to look forward to - scoring in the 50's a game may be wishful thinking next year

PTS
David Joplin F            11
Stevie Mitchell G    8.8
Chase Ross G            6.3
Sean Jones G            5.8
Ben Gold F            5.1
Tre Norman G            2
Zaide Lowery G            1.6
Al Amadou F            1.2

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 11:33:20 PM »
No more games to look forward to.
What do you mean?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 11:35:13 PM »
We got this to look forward to - scoring in the 50's a game may be wishful thinking next year

PTS
David Joplin F            11
Stevie Mitchell G    8.8
Chase Ross G            6.3
Sean Jones G            5.8
Ben Gold F            5.1
Tre Norman G            2
Zaide Lowery G            1.6
Al Amadou F            1.2

You are the KING of hyperbole.  Both ways.  Maybe Tower should say he doesn't know how we'll score 50 ppg again!

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 11:46:45 PM »
You are the KING of hyperbole.  Both ways.  Maybe Tower should say he doesn't know how we'll score 50 ppg again!

Cool, can I change my screen name to PointWarrior, KING of hyperbole ?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 11:49:57 PM »

Cool, can I change my screen name to PointWarrior, KING of hyperbole ?

You can.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024, 11:56:28 PM »
I have faith in Shaka and fully expect us to stay in the top half of the BE.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 12:05:27 AM »
The worst thing is these guys who give everything for Marquette are hurting more than any of us can fathom. They know what was in front of them and slipped away.

It's different from a team of mercenaries brought in with huge NIL promises. The guys care.

This just sucks.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 12:10:23 AM »
The worst thing is these guys who give everything for Marquette are hurting more than any of us can fathom. They know what was in front of them and slipped away.

It's different from a team of mercenaries brought in with huge NIL promises. The guys care.

This just sucks.

That's correct.  And what really sucks is that I don't think we were sharp at all mentally during this game.  For a team with a ton of experience this is really difficult for me to wrap my mind around.  We played tight and panicked and I have no earthly idea why or where this came from.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 12:12:01 AM »

This just sucks.

Yes.  Stevie hardly looked up in the post game press conference and Tyler was near tears.  Absolutely sucks. 

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 12:19:49 AM »
That's correct.  And what really sucks is that I don't think we were sharp at all mentally during this game.  For a team with a ton of experience this is really difficult for me to wrap my mind around.  We played tight and panicked and I have no earthly idea why or where this came from.
This is dystopian apocalyptic bad

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2024, 12:21:47 AM »
This is dystopian apocalyptic bad

I never said that.  It's just perplexing. 

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2024, 12:23:50 AM »
I said it. Half joking but I am also bemused by this performance

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2024, 12:33:12 AM »

This is what I am struggling to grasp, as well. Feel really bad for the players, coaches and fans for this special team to go out that way. That sting will last a long time.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2024, 12:47:53 AM »

Coach.

Always the coach in this instance.

You should always honor the good, and it’s ok to acknowledge the bad.

This isn’t the first year either, not for Marquette or for coach Smart.
Lack of mental acuity can be attributed to playing too tight.

I mentioned it last year- the season is 39 games long. If you act different in games 26+ than in 1-26 it’ll carry over to your team.
This year coach was calm, cool and collected, different from last year. I applaud the change in approach.

However, he took role players that helped guide him here and completely zeroed them out by not letting them play. Instead, his tight upper class men that couldn’t make a shot kept on trying.

As the misses mount, the legs and arms get tighter. In that moment you hope for someone or something to save you.
Enter coach.
If he doesn’t save you, enter exit.

He will hopefully get there, but not until he openly acknowledges the struggle, which he hasn’t yet.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2024, 12:53:20 AM »
This is what I am struggling to grasp, as well. Feel really bad for the players, coaches and fans for this special team to go out that way. That sting will last a long time.

And let me tell you something else:  This idea that we're going to just win through culture, and only selectively use the portal, isn't realistic.  I truly believe in Shaka and that the resurgence is coming but you have to find and get guys that can ball.  At least a couple every year. 

Again, we lost our mental acuity/poise.  Yes, we doubled way too early and to a fault with Mr. Burns.  Yes, we shot an unconscionable 4-31 from distance and NC State did a good job of eliminating the paint.  But I saw a team that was rattled mentally, seemingly out of the clear blue sky, and let their emotions snowball to a hideous and disgusting death.  This will take some time but we do need to be honest in our analysis. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2024, 12:59:52 AM »
Coach.

Always the coach in this instance.

You should always honor the good, and it’s ok to acknowledge the bad.

This isn’t the first year either, not for Marquette or for coach Smart.
Lack of mental acuity can be attributed to playing too tight.

I mentioned it last year- the season is 39 games long. If you act different in games 26+ than in 1-26 it’ll carry over to your team.
This year coach was calm, cool and collected, different from last year. I applaud the change in approach.

However, he took role players that helped guide him here and completely zeroed them out by not letting them play. Instead, his tight upper class men that couldn’t make a shot kept on trying.

As the misses mount, the legs and arms get tighter. In that moment you hope for someone or something to save you.
Enter coach.
If he doesn’t save you, enter exit.

He will hopefully get there, but not until he openly acknowledges the struggle, which he hasn’t yet.

I have to further study the tape Dr.V but I appreciate your insights.  I don't know if going to the bench would have been the answer but I did not see the  usual connectivity on the floor from our guys, once we went brick city early.  In fact I saw slumped shoulders and hesitation.  It was more of the.....why is this happening vibe in lieu of forgetting about it and just balling. 

Norm

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2024, 01:01:52 AM »
DoctorV,

I tend to agree. Unfortunately, Shaka doesn't have a great NCAA record since his 2011 VCU run, and he seems to press in the post season. His deer in the headlights look tonight was similar to some of the NCAA games he coached at Texas. He didn't seem comfortable and his team came out tight tonight. And shortening his bench from the regular season rotation does not show confidence to your players.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2024, 01:15:15 AM »
I really like listening to Jay Wright in game analysis.

He's told everyone that coaching in the NCAA tourney is different than almost every other circumstance.

Shaka has figured out the "other".

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2024, 05:21:47 AM »
The first season, I predicted MU would score in the 50s multiple times.    They did.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2024, 09:24:50 AM »
The first season, I predicted MU would score in the 50s multiple times.    They did.

Indeed.  Sorry to drag you into this.  Hah.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2024, 09:29:57 AM »
I really like listening to Jay Wright in game analysis.

He's told everyone that coaching in the NCAA tourney is different than almost every other circumstance.

Shaka has figured out the "other".

There is a crapshoot element Rocky and collective responsibility. I don't disagree that the tournament is different but the players are the ones on the floor.  We probably missed 20 wide open threes. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2024, 09:55:04 AM »
There is a crapshoot element Rocky and collective responsibility. I don't disagree that the tournament is different but the players are the ones on the floor.  We probably missed 20 wide open threes.

Disagree.  The tourney brings out different levels of emotions and how the body physically reacts to to those emotions.  MUs poor shooting was a result of this.

feedback