[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We Crapped the Bed  (Read 4360 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: We Crapped the Bed
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2024, 08:58:43 PM »
We also had about 10 opportunities to absolutely seize this game in the 2nd half.  And some of those possessions were beyond belief and did not resemble the team we have seen all season. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2024, 08:59:10 PM »
I’m as torn as you mug. Screw the fought hard stuff. That performance was a disgrace to the program. The shooting other worldly bad.

Get a grip. Nothing disgraceful about this team.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2024, 08:59:24 PM »
Muggsy:
I give credit to the opponents whose defense result in our team missing so many shots . They simply had a stronger  team and that is what happens when there is a talent differential .

but Herm - was it an "excellent" win for NC State?  I must have missed your post...

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2024, 09:00:14 PM »

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2024, 09:01:11 PM »
Loser mentality.

Yes. Because fans choosing to look at the bright side has an impact on winning or losing a game. Good lord.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2024, 09:01:23 PM »
Another epic, embarrassing MU collapse/choke in the tournament.

2003 FF lose by 30+
2013 E8 score 39 points as a 3 seed
2017 20 pt loss in the first round
2018 19 pt loss as a 5 seed in the first round
2022 32 pt loss in the first round
2023 can’t get past the first weekend as a 2 seed
2024 get manhandled by an 11 seed in the S16, led for 2 minutes

Pathetic.

This is why I own stock in Arby's.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2024, 09:01:39 PM »
Loser mentality.

So, if I kvetch about this loss and throw a tantrum about a loss in a single elimination tournament that’s winner talk?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2024, 09:04:12 PM »
It just sucks.  And you can.say "we had a bad shooting game" which is certainly true but personally I think it goes well beyond that.  What I did not understand was why we looked so tight and really could never string together consecutive buckets like we have all year.  It was reminiscent of the Butler game.   You have to attack inside more when the ball isn't falling.  Beyond that you could see the frustration on our guys' faces essentially all game.  There was never a moment (at least one I can remember) where I saw that fire to find a way to overcome the missed shots early.  I am absolutely devastated and feel awful for the entire team, Shaka, and the tremendous MU fans.

The tightness and the poor shooting seemed one in the same to me. Who knows what happens in this game if Kam and Jop hit their first jump shots.

This will probably be a controversial take here, but I think the area for improvement moving forward is gameday psychology. Shaka actually talks about it very eloquently, generally through the framework of approach goals vs. avoidance goals. But talking is different than feeling. Gotta find a way to feel the nerves as excitement and energy instead of anxiety and fear. In that way MU has reminded me of recent Boston Celtics teams. So skilled, so connected, but struggle to maintain a psychological edge in the biggest moments.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 09:14:41 PM by Tyler COLEk »

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2024, 09:04:53 PM »
So, if I kvetch about this loss and throw a tantrum about a loss in a single elimination tournament that’s winner talk?
Nope.  The “aw shucks, at least they tried, better luck next year” is loser mentality.  This team underperformed, again. Some (like you) accept some don’t want to.

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2024, 09:06:38 PM »
Nope.  The “aw shucks, at least they tried, better luck next year” is loser mentality.  This team underperformed, again. Some (like you) accept some don’t want to.

How is that a “loser mentality?” And how exactly are you not going to accept it? Complain on a message board?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2024, 09:07:10 PM »

And?  I can’t change the outcome.  It’s a disappointing loss.  They didn’t make baskets.  Simple as that. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2024, 09:09:01 PM »
So what does a winner such as yourself do about it instead?  Bitch a moan on the internet?  Good job winner!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2024, 09:09:56 PM »
And?  I can’t change the outcome.  It’s a disappointing loss.  They didn’t make baskets.  Simple as that.
Again, how cute. Ho hum, the countdown to next season begins, right?

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2024, 09:10:46 PM »
So what does a winner such as yourself do about it instead?  Bitch a moan on the internet?  Good job winner!
Stay in your lane, dbag.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2024, 09:11:02 PM »
Again, how cute. Ho hum, the countdown to next season begins, right?

It does.

If everyone bitches about the loss will that make Marquette winners then?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2024, 09:11:06 PM »
The tightness and the poor shooting seemed one in the same to me. Who knows what happens in this game if Kam and Jop hit their first jump shots.

This will probably be a controversial take here, but I think the area for improvement moving forward is gameday psychology. Shaka actually talks about it very eloquently, generally through the framework of approach goals vs. avoidance goals. But talking is different than feeling. Gotta find a way to feel the nerves as excitement and energy instead of anxiety and fear. In a strange way, MU has reminded me of recent Boston Celtics teams. So skilled, so talented, but struggling to maintain a psychological edge in the biggest moments.

If you look at those two plays to close the 2nd half, this is where I sorta  get what you're saying.  A missed dunk and then three missed FT's.  The impact of that is enormous.  Very sad. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2024, 09:12:26 PM »
Everyone copes in their own way. Some of this stuff is crazy but I'll just ignore it.

But these guys aren't robots. crap happens in college sports because it's played by 18-22 year old kids. To lose because of an all-time cold shooting night sucks. No two ways about it.

I'm bummed I won't get to watch them go after a Final Four, but this doesn't take anything away from these past two years in my mind.

They won 70% of their games. Won a regular season and league title. Packed out Fiserv. Ranked in the top 10 damn near all of this season. It's been a fun-ass ride. I've been there for every game of it and I'm grateful for it, even though tonight hurts.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2024, 09:12:42 PM »
It does.

If everyone bitches about the loss will that make Marquette winners then?
Super cute. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2024, 09:12:50 PM »
Stay in your lane, dbag.
lol. That’s what I thought. Way to go winner!  Winners bitch a moan on the internet so you know they are winners or so I have heard.

Captain Quette

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2024, 09:13:29 PM »
I didn't like:

1. Choosing to double team Burns like he was Shaq. Why not force him to beat us by scoring 40. Not sure he had stamina to do it.
2. Lack of ball pressure and loose approach to D for most of game
3. Oso disappearing. We missed his toughness and leadership as vet on the team, he disappeared at end of year
4. Believing our guards were better than their guards. Kolek played well, hard but all other perimeter players failed
5. Shaka not recruiting someone who could consistently knock down a 3
6. Team coming out soft and lackadaisical, uncharacteristic of this veteran led team

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2024, 09:13:56 PM »
Super cute. 

Can’t answer the question I see.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2024, 09:15:43 PM »
Super cute.

What’s the answer to make Marquette a winner program from a fan standpoint?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2024, 09:15:47 PM »
The Other Team Had Better Players. We didn’t have the talent to compete at this stage of the tournament .

I love our guys and they were very fun to watch over the of the last two years .

Delete your account. So stupid.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2024, 09:16:00 PM »
lol. That’s what I thought. Way to go winner!  Winners bitch a moan on the internet so you know they are winners or so I have heard.
Do you know how to spell “and?”  How sweet that the loss doesn’t bother you.  Going to make a poster and welcome the team home at the Al? Embrace your mediocrity, seems like it suits you.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2024, 09:16:03 PM »
I didn't like:

5. Shaka not recruiting someone who could consistently knock down a 3

Kam does, just not tonight.  But you're right, we need a few more guys.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

feedback