'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 06:20:57 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Such a Shame  (Read 3169 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Such a Shame
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2024, 10:09:28 PM »
If we shoot bad, just get bad bounces, we win tonight comfortably. NC State only looked passionate and connected because we shat the bed, not because they're the better team. They aren't. They're not even in our zip code. They are ONLY alive because of lucky bounces.

Yea I agree, they are substantially worse than Marquette.

That actually makes this loss even worse.

To their credit, they packed it in and let Marquette shoot the open shot, as the kids would say, and clank.

Most of us knew a crap shooting 3P game was coming, and I’ve said repeatedly you’ve gotta have an answer when it does.
The defense and NCSts inability to be good enough to allow Marquette to save face and move on but…..
Clank.

Saw you mentioned that game planning was fine, and I partly agree.
In a game like this though, less Jop, some more Ben and Zaide/Tre and see if you can find an answer.

You won’t find it if you don’t try.
Where was Tyler in the 2H?

It’s more than just bounces is my main point, can’t just keep shooting 3s when you know you’re off.
Or playing Jop when you know he’s playing the worst game you could ever imagine.

Not to be that guy, but if you’re Zaide and you see that you can’t log a minute to try to save the teams season when the other guy is playing that poorly what are you thinking?
Hopefully “I’ll try harder next year”

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2024, 10:11:58 PM »
It's not always the best or most talented version that breaks through. This feels like a peak, but this roster also had its flaws.

We're going to get there at some point. It might be as a 5 seed that gets hot and rattles off four wins. Who knows. But I'm confident in this staff.

Yup, and relatively speaking, Shaka is a young coach. We have a very bright future.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2024, 10:14:30 PM »
The worst part is, as disappointed and down all us fans are, the players played their hearts out, fought all season, and it all is hitting them and Shaka harder/worse than any of us.

Feel for those guys. They are a tight unit, who gave their all for the University, and they just couldn't hit a shot tonight. Really feel bad for them, and grateful to have been able to follow this team for the past 3 years.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2024, 10:16:05 PM »
The worst part is, as disappointed and down all us fans are, the players played their hearts out, fought all season, and it all is hitting them and Shaka harder/worse than any of us.

Feel for those guys. They are a tight unit, who gave their all for the University, and they just couldn't hit a shot tonight. Really feel bad for them, and grateful to have been able to follow this team for the past 3 years.

100%. Good post.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2024, 10:16:56 PM »

What about the fans who demand more?  I feel pretty bad for them
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2024, 10:18:26 PM »
To quote Dr. Seuss,
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

FairweatherEagle being a Fair Weather Eagle, is out of here till next fall to root for whoever steps out at Fiserv in MU gold, white and blue.

Fun year, no doubt

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2024, 10:21:42 PM »
How many topics are you going to post this in?
There's a new thread titled shooting he hasnt posted it in.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2024, 10:22:59 PM »

Yup, it really sucks for them.

Last time they get to play together too.

A ton of wins, a ton of enjoyable basketball and excitement compared to the alternative, and CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Thanks for reviving MU hoops.

That said, and again not to be that guy, but they are now paid professionals, for good or bad it’s the new system.
We can still feel bad for them, but if they consider it transactional so can the fans.

If Tyler comes back maybe it’s because it’s not all about the money.
Maybe he just wants to do it for Shaka- more so than Marquette id imagine because of his bond with coach.

Either way, for good or bad they are now a little more open to criticism because they are paid professionals, no longer just student athletes.

Regardless, find a way to lighten up in the tournament and play some carefree elite basketball, please

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2024, 10:37:52 PM »
Yup, it really sucks for them.

Last time they get to play together too.

A ton of wins, a ton of enjoyable basketball and excitement compared to the alternative, and CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Thanks for reviving MU hoops.

That said, and again not to be that guy, but they are now paid professionals, for good or bad it’s the new system.
We can still feel bad for them, but if they consider it transactional so can the fans.

If Tyler comes back maybe it’s because it’s not all about the money.
Maybe he just wants to do it for Shaka- more so than Marquette id imagine because of his bond with coach.

Either way, for good or bad they are now a little more open to criticism because they are paid professionals, no longer just student athletes.

Regardless, find a way to lighten up in the tournament and play some carefree elite basketball, please

Because some guy is going to become a millionaire playing a game doesn’t mean it’s “all about the money.” There’s no reason for Kolek to come back.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2024, 10:38:54 PM »
Because some guy is going to become a millionaire playing a game doesn’t mean it’s “all about the money.” There’s no reason for Kolek to come back.
Agreed

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2024, 10:45:29 PM »
I hope you are right.  I think this was our peak for at least 3-4 years.  Stil light years better than Wojo.
This!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2024, 10:51:57 PM »

Sure there is.

I’ll give you one- to pay homage to the guy that helped make him the millions, Shaka smart.

Doesn’t mean he will, or that Shaka won’t tell him to go, but there are more than “no reasons.”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2024, 10:54:33 PM »
He may want to know how Green Eggs and Ham ends

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2024, 12:58:29 AM »
Clemson & Alabama will play for a Final Four tomorrow. NC State will do the same Sunday. Shaka went to the F4 with a team that arguably didn't belong in the field. It just takes the right bounces.

Ive been aligned with your thoughts overall. Btu the bounces part is really interesting. I started laughing at the game because of how many good defensive plays we had today that just magically seemed to roll into the NC St players hands. 9/10 it's a steal, not a layup. But today they all seemed to bounce the wrong way.

It's sort of comical how much the wheels seemed to fall off.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2024, 06:10:27 AM »
Sure there is.

I’ll give you one- to pay homage to the guy that helped make him the millions, Shaka smart.

Doesn’t mean he will, or that Shaka won’t tell him to go, but there are more than “no reasons.”

That’s pretty ridiculous
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2024, 06:44:08 AM »
Ive been aligned with your thoughts overall. Btu the bounces part is really interesting. I started laughing at the game because of how many good defensive plays we had today that just magically seemed to roll into the NC St players hands. 9/10 it's a steal, not a layup. But today they all seemed to bounce the wrong way.

It's sort of comical how much the wheels seemed to fall off.
Kam's fast break pass to nobody when neither Ben nor Joplin flared to the corner.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2024, 11:58:52 AM »
I took the weekend off from Scoop because I just didn't need the negativity, so it's nice to see this thread. Thanks for starting it, Sultan.

I've loved the Shaka era so far, especially these last two seasons. Many of my Marquette friends who had fallen off the bandwagon climbed back on, and it's been so fun having text-chains going with them during games and going to games together. We went to two home games, plus the games at Butler and X, plus the NCAAT in Indy. So much reminiscing, and fun ... and yes, MU won 'em all, too, which makes it even better.

I went to a watching event for Friday's game and it was packed with Marquette alums from the Charlotte area - had to be 40 people. We had a similar event in 2019 and there were 8 of us.

It's so great to be reminded how Marquette basketball can bring so many people together.

None of us knows what next season (and the one after and the one after) will bring, but one thing I've learned to do is trust Shaka until he gives us reasons not to. He has been great at developing talent so far, and I think many of us will be pleasantly surprised at what we see from several players next season.

Sucks sucks sucks the way this season ended, but I still love the direction of the program.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2024, 07:23:28 PM »
I too appreciate this thread (compared to what else is out there) and the many more reasoned thoughts. Thank you. As Trojan Warrior stated in his/her thread, good to further reflect as opposed to kneejerk reaction in the heat of the moment.

I think Shaka's first 3 years have been great. I travel the near north and northwest suburbs of Chicago as well as the north and northwest sides of the city. I saw many more houses sporting MU flags in front than I ever remember. I credit Shaka for reinspiring the MU masses. Friday sucked for sure but it has been a great ride so far and I'm excited for the future. Have very much appreciated TKO and Oso's contributions to the exciting brand of basketball that MU now plays. I agree with Goose's season long sentiment that this is the most fun basketball that MU has ever played. Poetry on the court. Also nice to read Oilcan's meandering contributions and great to see Houwarrior chime in with his recollections prior to Dallas. Lots of other good contributions all season on Scoop. Thank you mods.

Will enjoy the rest of the tournament and keep active here with all the anticipated portal activity, recruiting and basketball news.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2024, 07:39:50 PM »
This was one of the most fun groups to ever watch play at Marquette….. they played hard, for each other, the team, the University and us fans.   They brought 1000s old smiles to our faces, and brought Marquette back in to the national limelight.   God bless them all wherever they go or whatever they do.   Personally, they have enriched my life.  What else can I ask for?   Go Marquette!   We will be fine!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2024, 08:23:33 PM »
Sultan change his name again?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2024, 09:40:46 PM »
Clemson & Alabama will play for a Final Four tomorrow. NC State will do the same Sunday. Shaka went to the F4 with a team that arguably didn't belong in the field. It just takes the right bounces.

This…..☝️