'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka might not be the forever coach.  (Read 6248 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Shaka might not be the forever coach.
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2024, 09:12:39 PM »
Nice vote of confidence. So glad we’re stuck with him.

IP address check.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2024, 09:13:15 PM »
The execution was awful. And that's not mentioning Oso bobbling every entry or blowing bunnies.

What was the deal with Oso's hands during the tournament? Very uncharacteristic. His set of performances in general were strange. It really leads me to believe there's a significant injury, but didn't see any clear physical issues on the court.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2024, 09:14:44 PM »
not shoot 31 3s

So, Marquette had the 15th best effective offensive FG% this year. They entered tonight with the nations 19th most efficient offense. 59th in the nation in 3 pt. shooting.

🤷🏼‍♂️
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2024, 09:15:37 PM »
What was the deal with Oso's hands during the tournament? Very uncharacteristic. His set of performances in general were strange. It really leads me to believe there's a significant injury, but didn't see any clear physical issues on the court.

he never really seemed to have that absolute killer instinct , and then took that to another level in the tournament

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2024, 09:16:37 PM »
I really don’t know what Shaka can do here. They have had so many wide open looks and they just aren’t falling. They have gotten tight and it’s just snowballed.
They need to get a better team game psychiatrist.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2024, 09:17:49 PM »

Mad Dog Vachon used to drink a pint of whisky before cage matches
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2024, 09:19:58 PM »
Wow, All Star wrestling.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2024, 09:23:25 PM »

Unironically, I think this is important. Judging the limited footage/writing available about him, their present consultant isn't very impressive. Especially with Shaka's extreme emphasis on relationships and culture, this team needs serious resources around mental skills.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 09:25:17 PM by Tyler COLEk »

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2024, 09:23:45 PM »
The Marquette team was tight

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2024, 09:24:49 PM »
Oso played awful basketball….

And, frankly… he seemed to not be at all intense or interested really

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2024, 09:39:52 PM »
Oso played awful basketball….

And, frankly… he seemed to not be at all intense or interested really

according to shaka no injury for oso..........I have no idea what happened with him, horrible end to a great career

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2024, 09:40:41 PM »
according to shaka no injury for oso..........I have no idea what happened with him, horrible end to a great career

That really hurts to hear. He had a real opportunity to pump his draft stock.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2024, 09:41:58 PM »
I said after the Colorado game it looked way more mental than physical.
No Finish Line

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2024, 09:42:35 PM »
At some point it becomes a feature, not a bug. Three tournaments, three games where the team is just completely not ready to play. How the f*ck was no one ready to play.

complete trash, take.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2024, 09:49:07 PM »
This thread is f’n stupid
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2024, 09:53:06 PM »
Unironically, I think this is important. Judging the limited footage/writing available about him, their present consultant isn't very impressive. Especially with Shaka's extreme emphasis on relationships and culture, this team needs serious resources around mental skills.

Shaka, more than the guys, needs a good one.

Don’t take this as a slight, because he’s incredible for this program.

There’s no doubt in my mind that he doesn’t want to acknowledge that there is an issue when it comes to the big game that he himself has to overcome.
He was asked about it and gave a complete non-confront answer. Not normal for a genius of his candor.

This team is a reflection of its main guy, its father.
They are a reflection during the good, and also during the bad.

He can’t go out there and take the shots, and he’s orchestrated tons of massive second half comebacks, but those were a product of extremely tight or poor played first halves.

Shaka changes during the dance. He likely doesn’t realize it, but he does, and it affects his team.
When you reach Mt Olympus as a youth the fall is massive and the climb back up can be steep as heck.

He just needs one good bounce, one moment of brilliant, one individual to carry him thru and the gates will hopefully open up.
I was hoping Tyler was that guy.
Maybe next year.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2024, 10:03:29 PM »
We held them to 0.97 PPP on the game. Missed what, 20 unguarded threes? The game plan was fine. The execution was awful. And that's not mentioning Oso bobbling every entry or blowing bunnies.

If we play bad, we beat them by double digits. Coaching wasn't the problem. Not even remotely.

Just saw Chuck on the halftime show talking about how bad our defense was. All the highlights showed them hitting some pretty tough shots. If we hit our average, it's a pretty comfortable win.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2024, 10:28:49 PM »
I like Shaka, but his teams play too tight in the NCAAs. Happened again today. He also had a bad defensive strategy in the first half of doubling Burns which backfired and got MU in a double digit hole.

For those mentioning him changing his approach in the post season, I thought that watching him shorten the bench to just Chase and single minutes for Ben the last two games. Why essentially bench Tre and Zaide when they both contributed down the stretch? 

And I wish Shaka would use time outs quicker to stem other teams' runs. He didn't even use two time outs today. What was he saving them for?

Glad we made the Sweet 16, but painful to lose to another double digit seed as a 2 seed.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2024, 10:38:01 PM »
Just saw Chuck on the halftime show talking about how bad our defense was. All the highlights showed them hitting some pretty tough shots. If we hit our average, it's a pretty comfortable win.

Chuck is there for entertainment value, not smart analysis.

Our defense was okay (not great) in the first and excellent in the second. It was all about our offense missing shots. Only reason we lost.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2024, 12:44:59 AM »
At some point it becomes a feature, not a bug. Three tournaments, three games where the team is just completely not ready to play. How the f*ck was no one ready to play.
Great point. Let’s fire Shaka and see if we can lure Gard away from UW.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2024, 03:28:37 AM »
The slurp mindset on this board is unreal.

Nowhere have I insinuated anything remotely to the effect that Shaka should be fired at any point on the horizon. To the contrary, I'm so thrilled w him in most aspects of his job that I started the lifetime contract thread (and if you don't realize all of these have a touch of teal I don't know what to say...)

But my enthusiasm for Shaka is predicated on all the good things he's doing bringing us March success. Because, frankly, that's all that matters to me in terms of MUBB outcomes. I mean all things equal, I'd rather win a natty w a team built "the right way" but you're kidding yourself if you think you won't be happy w a natty secured w 5 NIL mercenaries.

If you can't admit that Shaka has not yet shown that he can again perform to a high level in the NCAAT IDK what to say. It's OK to admit that they guy we all really like has a major flaw.

Will he overcome it? Maybe. Hopefully. But he hasnt yet. He'll need to to be a forever coach. To be a Wright, or Few or K.

The good news is we'll probably get a chance to see again soon. But these NCAAT results after all the great stuff that got us two 2 seeds in 2 years - 2-2-2 - make me ill.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2024, 08:01:19 AM »
not shoot miss 31 27 3s
Really, it goes back to Tower's first point in the game summary.

So, so many of the threes were exactly want we wanted, wide open and uncontested. We missed. Like, historically badly missed.

Kam had what I think most would consider a below average to poor shooting night; if the entire team shot like Kam, we're playing on Sunday.

We were for the most part fine defensively. NCST did hit some clutch, contested, late clock gut punches, but overall giving up 67 points is fine. All MU needed was a D+ game on offense and we didn't get even that.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2024, 08:14:39 AM »
Will he overcome it? Maybe. Hopefully. But he hasnt yet. He'll need to to be a forever coach. To be a Wright, or Few or K.

It took Wright 15 years to win a title at Villanova. It took K 11 years at Duke (and fans wanted him out after year 3). Few still hasn't won a title in 25 years.

It might be a tad premature to assume Shaka can't win bigger than this.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2024, 08:27:13 AM »
dumb thread...   Shaka does need to recruit more accurate shooters.
And a bruising big, a pg, and at least 2 big time wing shooters, given what is projected to come back next year. Is he up to that task?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2024, 08:29:14 AM »
Bro. The team is 3 for 24 from 3. The fug Ahaka to do about that?

It happened last year when we shot pretty decently from 3 too.  It’s a fair point that his teams seem to have brutal games come in at the worst time in these NCAAs.