collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2024 Season  (Read 3585 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: MLB 2024 Season
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2024, 11:45:58 AM »
Has the new stadium been given final approval? I thought things were still up in the air with that.

Ditto. 
I thought the original land for the ballpark in Las Vegas is a no go.
And there is backup plan for another location but far from settled making it questionable.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2024, 11:56:03 AM »
Isn't it time Rob Manfred looks for ways to force John Fisher to sell the team?
I know there's no Marge Schott/Donald Sterling racism angle here, but Fisher's incompetence is bad for the entire league.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2024, 03:42:57 PM »
Has the new stadium been given final approval? I thought things were still up in the air with that.

The Trop is getting demolished this month.  Plenty of steps for approvals to go in Vegas but the MLB mandated that the A's had a place to play for future scheduling by this summer. The Coliseum lease ends after this season and the A's weren't finding friendly terms in Oakland to no one's surprise.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2024, 03:45:11 PM »
I was so confused for a bit there and thinking "But where are the Rays going to play?!"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2024, 03:51:35 PM »
Here is the message I received this AM from the A's

Alongside the Sacramento Kings, majority owner of the Sacramento River Cats, the A's have announced that Sutter Health Park will host the team during the 2025-2027 MLB seasons – ahead of our move to Las Vegas in 2028.

Statement from A's Owner and Managing Partner John Fisher:

"We explored several locations for a temporary home, including the Oakland Coliseum. Even with the long-standing relationship and good intentions on all sides in the negotiations with Oakland, the conditions to achieve an agreement seemed out of reach. We understand the disappointment this news brings to our fans, as this season marks our final one in Oakland. Throughout this season, we will honor and celebrate our time in Oakland, and will share additional details soon.

We extend our appreciation to the Kings and the City of West Sacramento, and look forward to making Sutter Health Park our home until our new ballpark opens in Las Vegas."

In question is the A's media deal but I guess Sacramento preserves that $$ as the viewing markets kinda overlap.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2024, 11:34:51 PM »
Why not just (and finally) relegate this team to AAA and open a new spot for a big $ newcomer to start a new franchise elsewhere? I kid,... but MLB is not structured to help a small market over achiever survive and prosper.

Truth is, the brilliance of Bean has kept A's punching way over their weight for years. Connie Mack did the same with his A's in Philly, before the days of TV deals. Sadly, while in KC the A's digressed badly and functioned almost as a Yankees farm team. Under Charlie Finley they had their best window-- the last dynasty of the reserve clause, pre free agency era.

The A's storied history will have to concede/relegate and MLB die, or arrange a marriage to a $$ princess, like a poor but proud English aristocrat seeking to preserve the name/history.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2024, 08:26:50 PM »
......is Yelich back?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2024, 08:50:03 PM »
......is Yelich back?

Steroids are awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2024, 09:11:46 PM »
After going through the complaint against Ippei, definitely have more questions than ever for Ohtani. Not passing the sniff test.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2024, 09:37:37 PM »
After going through the complaint against Ippei, definitely have more questions than ever for Ohtani. Not passing the sniff test.

This was interesting...

https://x.com/Jomboy_/status/1778565766654140630

Did they speak in code?  I'm more of the belief that it wasn't bets for Ohtani at this point, but I'm still baffled how he let this get by him.  Did he just not care and/or realize the magnitude of it until his people called it out to him?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2024, 09:59:32 PM »
This was interesting...

https://x.com/Jomboy_/status/1778565766654140630

Did they speak in code?  I'm more of the belief that it wasn't bets for Ohtani at this point, but I'm still baffled how he let this get by him.  Did he just not care and/or realize the magnitude of it until his people called it out to him?

From all accounts, these two were inseparable. I forgot who wrote it (jokingly?) on Twitter, but these two are at home and Ohtani asks “what should we watch?”, and Ippei would say “how about college soccer on ESPN+?”.

Two things I can’t get past.

1. Ippei’s gambling losses make no logical sense, unless he was either pounding horrible parlays, or the vig was insane. Or, he had other financial losses (crypto/options/etc), and those numbers just got all jumbled together.

2. If I was down $40M, and my boss is the best baseball player on the planet, and I’m
already (allegedly) stealing millions from my boss, why wouldn’t I use my MLB knowledge to place wagers with inside info with some other bookmaker? Like I’m already in massive trouble if I get caught, I might as well go for it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2024, 10:22:21 PM »
From all accounts, these two were inseparable. I forgot who wrote it (jokingly?) on Twitter, but these two are at home and Ohtani asks “what should we watch?”, and Ippei would say “how about college soccer on ESPN+?”.

Two things I can’t get past.

1. Ippei’s gambling losses make no logical sense, unless he was either pounding horrible parlays, or the vig was insane. Or, he had other financial losses (crypto/options/etc), and those numbers just got all jumbled together.

Coming someone who has battled with problem gambling and addiction, I actually get it.  Especially when you have a seemingly unlimited bankroll.  The crazy chases, insane parlays, etc... gets even more tempting and easy to fall into when you're just gonna reload anyways.  But I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got smoked on crypto and other stuff as well.

2. If I was down $40M, and my boss is the best baseball player on the planet, and I’m
already (allegedly) stealing millions from my boss, why wouldn’t I use my MLB knowledge to place wagers with inside info with some other bookmaker? Like I’m already in massive trouble if I get caught, I might as well go for it.

I thought something similar, and I certainly don't mean to be stereotypical or make slanted assumptions, but I had a thought about honor and sanctity of the game in Japanese culture.  Wouldn't be the first time something honor bound in that culture seemed completely incongruent with other criminal sort of activity.

But on the other hand, in the same vein as my spot above, someone with a problem like his also has a tendancy to put up really weird guardrails.  Like "this (insert crazy addiction related behavior) is fine, so long as I dont to XYZ."  Thinking "oh I'll get it back and then its not a big deal, but if I gambled on MLB, that could screw me and Shohei even if I replace all the money I embezzled."

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2024, 10:24:48 PM »
Coming someone who has battled with problem gambling and addiction, I actually get it.  Especially when you have a seemingly unlimited bankroll.  The crazy chases, insane parlays, etc... gets even more tempting and easy to fall into when you're just gonna reload anyways.  But I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got smoked on crypto and other stuff as well.

I thought something similar, and I certainly don't mean to be stereotypical or make slanted assumptions, but I had a thought about honor and sanctity of the game in Japanese culture.  Wouldn't be the first time something honor bound in that culture seemed completely incongruent with other criminal sort of activity.

But on the other hand, in the same vein as my spot above, someone with a problem like his also has a tendancy to put up really weird guardrails.  Like "this (insert crazy addiction related behavior) is fine, so long as I dont to XYZ."  Thinking "oh I'll get it back and then its not a big deal, but if I gambled on MLB, that could screw me and Shohei even if I replace all the money I embezzled."

That’s solid perspective on both points, I appreciate and respect what you mentioned here. Could certainly be valid on everything you said.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2024, 10:29:45 PM »
......is Yelich back?

Wouldn’t be too shocking. He definitely showed signs last year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2024, 10:38:46 PM »

Perhaps we can ask Phil Mickelson or John Daly to weigh in.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2024, 07:50:43 AM »
Steroids are awesome.

Ah yes. A sure sign of Spring and a new MLB season. Some player has a hot start to the year and wades accuses them of using PEDs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2024, 08:40:28 AM »
I feel like Yelich's issues were all mental once he busted his kneecap. He looked lost up at the plate and didn't seem to have much confidence.

He seemed to start turning it around last year with some solid contact, the homers just weren't there.

Also, I know the restriction on being able to watch film in-between at bats was another theory.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2024, 08:56:40 AM »
I feel like Yelich's issues were all mental once he busted his kneecap. He looked lost up at the plate and didn't seem to have much confidence.

He seemed to start turning it around last year with some solid contact, the homers just weren't there.

Also, I know the restriction on being able to watch film in-between at bats was another theory.

Herb Score was supposed to be the next Bob Feller.  He took a liner off the face and his career was never the same.

Score claims it didn’t change how he pitched but those that watched him claimed otherwise.  He had a looping delivery where it looked like the ball was being released as his hand touched the ground.  Post-injury, his motion shortened just an ever bit and he didn’t have the same stuff. 

Small tweaks post injury in fear of other injuries can change a lot of what made you effective.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2024, 11:29:04 AM »
Any Chicago people here able to read the SunTimes article today on the new White Sox stadium and the people behind it?

We thought the White Sox team was the real joke (they could be historically bad - one of the worst teams in baseball history), but Getz (hiring a wifebeater), Reinsdorf (Looking for ANOTHER handout), and the potential investors (including an Arab who worked with Saddam and was denied a visa to the US by the Stae Dept.) are even worse.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2024, 08:01:37 PM »
And just like that, it was a fun 10 games from Yeli. Hard to stay healthy after you start PEDs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2024, 10:23:01 PM »
And just like that, it was a fun 10 games from Yeli. Hard to stay healthy after you start PEDs.

I know there’s the connection to Braun and I’m not saying the guy never did PEDs, but if you consider the performance and injury timeline, the steroids causing injuries theory doesn’t really add up.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2024, 10:13:10 AM »
Well, the Twins stink and have probably the most injuries in the sport

But.......its April 13th and Buxton currently isnt one of the injured. Sadly, he also stinks.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2024, 10:48:52 AM »

But.......its April 13th and Buxton currently isnt one of the injured. Sadly, he also stinks.
And yet, in a much better place than the White Sox.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2024, 11:45:25 AM »

They have injuries for a reason.

It’s like the White Sox complaining about injuries. Moncada, Robert, and Eloy are hurt every year. If that’s who you choose to have on your team, them you will have injuries.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2024, 11:49:40 AM »
Well my St. Louis Cardinals are off to a memorably pedestrian start.

The only teams they seem to be able to consistently beat are the Miami Marlins, who once again are in self-destruct mode. We'll see what the Cardinals do to the Diamondbacks this weekend.

As much as I love my Cardinals, I really don't like this team. They remind me too much of the old Cubs teams. Get on base, stand around and wait for the middle of the order to bash one into the 10th row. Dave Kingman and his .236 batting average would be a star on this team! The pitching is suspect. The hitting is non-existent and the only thing they seem to do well is field.

I got one word for you guys: Bunt!

Bunts happen so rarely, you'd probably give half the infield, the pitcher and the catcher heart attacks or strokes. I don't think they'd know what to do if a Cardinal EVER bunted!

feedback