[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making  (Read 1927 times)

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making
« on: March 16, 2024, 12:52:12 AM »
Gentlemen, Ladies, & great fans of MU:

It seems like we could be experiencing "deja vu" all over again in regards to Marquette Basketball. Our maybe it's the Holy Spirit weaving through time and now working its wonders? My money is on the latter as the Holy Spirit seems to be working many wonders everywhere lately. Lots of coincidences and wonders are ocurring in everything as of late.

Regardless, what we are witnessing under Smart Coach is the type of Basketball Renaissance many have been waiting for, 50 years in the making. I am finally on the verge of saying that the 'Quette is a bona-fide national power again. Yes, it will only be 3 NCAA Tournament bids for Smart Coach, but that's not the point. I now see strength throughout this program at every aspect & level that I haven't seen since the McGuire coaching trinity. Two back-to-back Number #2 (possibly #2 & #3) seeds verify this. The 'Quette is now getting 4-star recruits routinely, when for years we suffered in 3-star mediocrity with an occasional diamond being sculptured by development coaching.

Frankly, at times I thought I'd never see this type of era again. But it's back and it's back big-time. This is only the beginning.

Yes, the 2003 Final Four was an incredible run but the 'Quette was in CUSA and the embarrassing loss to the Paysquawks, a true blueblood in the Final Four, demonstrated just how far this program had to go. The aftershock of that loss would surface in the years that followed with Point Guard Overreach by the Tan One (Tom Crean).

After the 2002-03 season Flash left. Peanut and Novak played great, but could not maintain the high excellence of the Flash Era. A few bad transfer situations and a lack of a back-up point guard for Peanut & no PG to replace him after he left killed any chance at consistency at the national power level. MU even had the next Flash ready to go in the "Cement Mixer", but he transferred to Iowa State. I'll give "Our Kev" a little credit too for a nice tiny run in the early 1990's. As for Buzz, he gets no credit (even for an Elite 8 appearance) because that little fire plug almost destroyed the program by playing daddy.

Like many, I've been following this program for a long-time. It has been a life long love and passion. After 50 years, we are finally back around to the beginning again!

Tomorrow will be a massive test verses UCONN in the Big East Championship Game at the Garden. Both Joplin and Oso will need a David Boone type efforts against UCONN & the "Cling-on". It would be nice if Gold played strong as well. Those three really need to play fundamental basketball if the 'Quette has a chance to beat UCONN. That means they need to use their bodies to BOX OUT and REBOUND the basketball, especially defensively. They need to be physical with "Cling-on" every time he enters the paint. Stevie, Kam, Tyler, and Chase will just need to be themselves.

The 'Quette will also likely need someone unexpectedly to have a big game tomorrow and I have a feeling Zaide Lowery is that individual. Successful teams in the post-season almost always need unexpected young player(s) to step up. This is grow-up time right now.

So my to all my 'Quette friends, young and old, cherish this incredible moment in time. This is an era of Marquette Basketball that many have been waiting for almost 50 years. It's here. Win or lose... enjoy it and cherish these days. :)

Make sure you cherish these days in general! Amazing things are happening. All the GLORY to GOD!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 08:48:00 PM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 12:55:43 AM »
Gentlemen and Ladies:

It seems like we could be experiencing "deja vu" all over again in regards to Marquette Basketball. Our maybe it's the Holy Spirit weaving through time and now working its wonders? My money is on the latter as the Holy Spirit seems to be working many wonders everywhere lately. Lots of coincidences and wonders are ocurring in everything as of late.

Regardless, what we are witnessing under Smart Coach is the type of Basketball Renaissance many have been waiting for, 50 years in the making. I am finally on the verge of saying that the 'Quette is a bona-fide national power again. Yes, it will only be 3 NCAA Tournament bids for Smart Coach, but that's not the point. I now see strength throughout this program at every aspect & level that I haven't seen since the McGuire coachng trinity. Two back-to-back Number #2 (possibly #2 & #3) seeds verify this. The 'Quette is now getting 4-star recruits routinely, when for years we suffered in 3-star mediocrity with an occasional diamond being sculptured by development coaching.

Frankly, at times I thought I'd never see this moment era again. But it's back and it's back big-time. This is only the beginning.

Yes, the 2003 Final Four was an incredible run but the 'Quette was in CUSA and the embarrassing loss to the Paysquawks, a true blueblood in the Final Four, demonstrated just how far this program had to go. The aftershock of that loss would surface in the years that followed with Point Guard Overreach by the Tan One (Tom Crean).

After the 2002-03 season Flash left. Peanut and Novak played great, but could not maintain the high excellence of the Flash Era. A few bad transfer situations and a lack of a back-up point guard for Peanut & no PG to replace him after he left killed any chance at consistency at the national power level. MU even had the next Flash ready to go in the "Cement Mixer", but he transferred to Iowa State. I'll give "Our Kev" a little credit too for a nice tiny run in the early 1990's. As for Buzz, he gets no credit (even for an Elite 8 appearance) because that little fire plug almost destroyed the program by playing daddy.

Like many, I've been following this program for a long-time. It has been a life long love and passion. After 50 years, we are finally back around to the beginning again!

Tomorrow will be a massive test verses UCONN in the Big East Championship Game at the Garden. Both Joplin and Oso will need a David Boone type efforts against UCONN & the "Cling-on" tomorrow. It would be nice if Gold played strong as well. Those three really need to play fundamental basketball if the 'Quette has a chance to beat UCONN. That means they need to use their bodies to BOX OUT and REBOUND the basketball, especially defensively. They need to be physical with "Cling-on" every time he enters the paint. Stevie, Kam, Tyler, and Chase will just need to be themselves.

The 'Quette will also likely need someone unexpectedly to have a big game tomorrow and I have a feeling Zaide Lowery is that individual. Successful teams in the post-season almost always need unexpected young player(s) to step up. This is grow-up time right now.

So my to all my 'Quette friends, young and old, cherish this incredible moment in time. This is an era of Marquette Basketball that many have been waiting for almost 50 years. It's here. Win or lose... enjoy it and cherish these days. :)

Make sure you cherish these days in general! Amazing things are happening. All the GLORY to GOD!

Great to hear from. you DB2!!!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 01:12:56 AM »
DB

David Boone has slipped in my all time post Al players since the start of the Shaka era. He held a top 5 spot for 35+ years and is slowly moving down the list. Shaka has delivered on all counts and everyone should be enjoying the fact that MU basketball is back!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 08:31:45 AM by Goose »

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 01:21:50 AM »
DB

David Boone has slipped in my all time post Al players since the start of the Shaka era. He held a top for 35+ years and is slowly moving down the list. Shaka has delivered on all counts and everyone should be enjoying the fact that MU basketball is back!!
  Lol!!!!

Good to hear from you Goose and Muggs!!! Warmest wishes!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 01:25:25 AM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 07:47:58 AM »
Love it Mike!

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 12:06:19 PM »
Love it Mike!

Hey Timmy! Hope all is well. Excited for the game this evening!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 01:15:21 PM »
Gentlemen and Ladies:

Regardless, what we are witnessing under Smart Coach is the type of Basketball Renaissance many have been waiting for, 50 years in the making. I am finally on the verge of saying that the 'Quette is a bona-fide national power again. Yes, it will only be 3 NCAA Tournament bids for Smart Coach, but that's not the point. I now see strength throughout this program at every aspect & level that I haven't seen since the McGuire coaching trinity. Two back-to-back Number #2 (possibly #2 & #3) seeds verify this. The 'Quette is now getting 4-star recruits routinely, when for years we suffered in 3-star mediocrity with an occasional diamond being sculptured by development coaching.

Frankly, at times I thought I'd never see this type of era again. But it's back and it's back big-time. This is only the beginning.

Tomorrow will be a massive test verses UCONN in the Big East Championship Game at the Garden. Both Joplin and Oso will need a David Boone type efforts against UCONN & the "Cling-on". It would be nice if Gold played strong as well. Those three really need to play fundamental basketball if the 'Quette has a chance to beat UCONN. That means they need to use their bodies to BOX OUT and REBOUND the basketball, especially defensively. They need to be physical with "Cling-on" every time he enters the paint. Stevie, Kam, Tyler, and Chase will just need to be themselves.

I agree with this analysis
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 01:20:12 PM »

"The 'Quette"?
Have some patience, FFS.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 01:24:08 PM »
Let’s save the cheesy koom by yah posts for after the tournament eh

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 01:28:21 PM »

"The 'Quette"?

I was thinking the same thing. 
Ludum habemus.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 01:40:17 PM »

"The 'Quette"?

I believe that started when Louisville called themselves "The 'Ville" in football. I think it was the Teddy Bridgewater era.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 06:33:28 PM »
I believe that started when Louisville called themselves "The 'Ville" in football. I think it was the Teddy Bridgewater era.

No, that's incorrect. I explain below.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 08:42:08 PM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2024, 08:46:51 PM »

No. It started in 2006-07 during a home game against Syracuse in the old Big East at the Bradley Center. It was banter between Syracuse fans and Marquette fans in sections 414 to 417 in the upper deck. That is its origin. 'CUSE fans vs 'Quette fans at the Bradley Center.

'Cuse fans always traveled strong. Just banter back and forth. YOU know Pearl vs. Dream, Coleman vs. Lucas, Wade vs. McNamara, 'Cuse vs. 'Quette. It started there. Then it came to the message boards. Dodds board first. That's the origin.

Nothing compared to UCONN, 'Cuse, or 'the 'Ville at the Bradley Center. Those games were like every MU game at The MECCA. Excellent fans from those programs. Thank goodness UCONN came back to the Big East.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2024, 10:12:07 PM »
Brother Boone:

Not sure how much the Holy Spirit has to do with this, unless the first gift — wisdom — was given to Coach Shaka and President Lovell.

That said, I hope you are right. In the 45+ years since Coach McGuire retired, we have had more false starts than a rusted out Chevy Vega. This one, though, seems real. The test will come in the next three years when Coach Shaka transitions from the last of Coach Wojo’s recruits to a team full of his guys.

I’m very optimistic. I’ve followed Marquette for more that 55 years and think we have our guy and our program. Let’s just make sure we keep him!

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM »
Brother Boone:

Not sure how much the Holy Spirit has to do with this, unless the first gift — wisdom — was given to Coach Shaka and President Lovell.

That said, I hope you are right. In the 45+ years since Coach McGuire retired, we have had more false starts than a rusted out Chevy Vega. This one, though, seems real. The test will come in the next three years when Coach Shaka transitions from the last of Coach Wojo’s recruits to a team full of his guys.

I’m very optimistic. I’ve followed Marquette for more that 55 years and think we have our guy and our program. Let’s just make sure we keep him!

Brother 9156:
Wisdom. Bingo! BTW - the HOLY SPIRIT has everything to do with everything. We've just lost our focus as a society and can't see it anymore. That will change soon my friend.

Given we are a Jesuit School I believe the HOLY SPIRIT has always been with this program. It's always been up to the coach and players to
embrace & accept its wisdom and discern.

Coach McGuire, Coach Hank, and especially Coach Rick embraced it as part of the program. I loved that about them.

If you want to message me, I'll gladly explain more. Warmest wishes!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2024, 07:30:13 AM »
Brother Boone:

I read somewhere that is takes five years to judge a coach.

feedback