Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nothing but ❤️  (Read 8968 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Nothing but ❤️
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2024, 08:56:06 AM »
When Gold, Stevie, Kam and Jop were forced to play more minutes than usual and do more on the offensive end than usual it affects how you play defense. We couldn’t pressure them as much as usual, especially in the 2nd half.

Not really complicated, but it apparently escapes some here.
Maybe you misunderstood? Not blaming anyone, just that this MU tram pretty much lives of TOs, of course fatigue & not normal lineup affected D.
Goal is National Championship

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2024, 09:41:06 AM »
I don’t want to come off as negative because I did love the effort in that game but I did notice that a lot of Creighton’s made threes were pretty much uncontested…especially in the last 4 mins. I am going to attribute this to fatigue but that was a rough stretch.

Kalkbrenner moving screens is how they get so open all the time. He's going to get called for one of those in March in a huge spot, just watch. Coaches will be pointing that out.
VIOLENCE!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2024, 09:43:49 AM »
On Scheierman's first dagger 3, Ben was engaged with a posting Kalkbrenner in the post and simply could not close out on the corner 3 quickly enough.   Good scheme by  Creighton.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2024, 09:59:43 AM »
Kalkbrenner moving screens is how they get so open all the time. He's going to get called for one of those in March in a huge spot, just watch. Coaches will be pointing that out.

Marquette runs a lot of those slip screens too. It's effective in creating space without fouling in a motion offense. Contrast that to Wojo's Duke offense where Theo would be required to set a hard pick, looking to create certain switching advantages (and Theo would be in foul trouble by half often because it required the perfect set).

Wojo had an efficient offense as well but it required a different skill set at center.  There was never a roll component in the Duke offense. Luke would have been great in Buzz's post offense but Matt Heldt beat him out in Wojo's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2024, 10:04:13 AM »

Oso sets moving screens all the time. All bigs do. I can't even remember which game I was watching Saturday, but the big literally reached out and made significant contact with his arms every single time he set a screen and it was never called. Hell, I remember watching the great Illinois teams of the mid-aughts and laughing as James Augustine set a moving screen on almost every possession. It's become almost like the 3-second violation - very rarely called.

Indeed, what's surprising is when it IS called. The offender always looks perplexed - and I don't blame him for thinking, "But I've done that 18 times in this game already and none was called."

The only moving screen they seem to be looking for nowadays is the one on the handoff. It usually is an illegal play but sometimes the apply it too liberally - as was the case with the makeup call against Stevie in the X game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2024, 10:07:22 AM »
Yeah unless its egregious, no ref is going to call a moving screen based on anything I saw Saturday. That's just basketball.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2024, 12:03:26 PM »
Tre puking was reported by Ben Steele.

-1 for using phrasing that made me think of the name Kelly Tripuka today.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2024, 12:17:55 PM »
Yeah unless its egregious, no ref is going to call a moving screen based on anything I saw Saturday. That's just basketball.
or a makeup call that everyone in the world sees coming  ;D

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2024, 06:32:53 PM »
Can someone smarter than me provide some insight on possessions in yesterday's game?  I thought Marquette/Shaka actually did take the air out of the ball quite a bit more, especially when you could sense the team was gassed.

Was it a high possession game for Marquette games?  For Creighton games?  How did our length of possessions compare to the season average?

Also, there aren't a ton of timeouts for coaches to use in college basketball anymore.  I think it used to be at 6 not that long ago, but I think it's down to 4, of which you need to take at least 1 on the first half or you lose it.

I'm guessing Shaka and staff were trying to be as strategic as possible with their timeouts.  Balance fatigue with momentum, especially with a group of guys who haven't played the roles they were in yesterday all that much.  So when you're keeping it close, maybe Shaka and staff wanted to hang onto them until things looked like they may get out of hand.  Like when they hit back to back 3s, one coming after a bad turnover.

It was a 68 possession game. Marquette averages around 70 possessions a game so below average but not egregious. Creighton averages around 67 a game so a bit above their average
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2024, 07:55:35 PM »
It was a 68 possession game. Marquette averages around 70 possessions a game so below average but not egregious. Creighton averages around 67 a game so a bit above their average

Got it, thanks. Felt like a slower game to me, but could’ve had a lot to do with the low turnover numbers and lack of transition opportunities for MU.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter