[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duh-Paul  (Read 2469 times)

tower912

• All American
Duh-Paul
« on: February 21, 2024, 09:57:36 PM »
1.  Everything to follow is with the caveat that DePaul is the opponent.  Washington Generals-esque.
2.   A nice palate cleanser. 
3.  I wonder if Kolek started the game with the intent of going off on assists or if it just flowed that way. 18.
4.  Kam has been money against DePaul and Georgetown.   
5.  The sun came up Sunday.  The team went to work.   The work paid off.
6.  Very disappointed in the lack of free throws.
7.   I wanted MU to play well enough that the young guys would play the last 10 minutes.   Close enough.  Getting TKo the record was more important.
8.  Back to the Big East now.

Ben and Chase finished the game limping.  Poop.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Duh-Paul
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 09:58:22 PM »
1.  Everything to follow is with the caveat that DePaul is the opponent.  Washington Generals-esque.
3.  I wonder if Kolek started the game with the intent of going off on assists or if it just flowed that way. 18.
7.   I wanted MU to play well enough that the young guys would play the last 10 minutes.   Close enough.  Getting TKo the record was more important.

6 is puzzling to me. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 10:01:37 PM »

The young guys (Al, Tre, Zaide) looked pretty poor.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 10:04:36 PM »

Tre and Al looked just fine to me.

Clear point of emphasis to push the pace tonight. We were flying.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 10:06:39 PM »
I disagree.   They looked comfortable, ran the offense without adult supervision, got some good looks for themselves and teammates.   Again, with the caveat that it was DePaul.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 10:07:03 PM »
Crazy stat.  DePaul went 23-23 from the FT line and lost by 34

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 10:08:43 PM »
MU covered!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 10:11:27 PM »
I think Trey looked fine……his shot needs to be reworked though…..it’s just so flat.

Tyler definitely decided to go for the record before the game……he took 2 shots and otherwise never even looked at the basket was asking for the ball on the break which he almost never does.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 10:13:07 PM »
DePaul is one of the worst D-1 teams I've ever seen.  But that was still fun.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 10:14:41 PM »
Regardless of who their coach is next year, how does DePaul even begin to recruit players next year?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 10:15:42 PM »

#FTsNoMatta
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 10:17:02 PM »
TK definitely decided early on that the assists were going to be there. He had tunnel vision the whole night and the team fed off of it. I will say, he had a handful of passes that not many guys could make and they were spot on target.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 10:18:47 PM »

[/b]

I thought you were going to remind us again it was Gold's shin splints from July :).  Actually, he turned his right ankle on shot block attempt. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2024, 10:23:25 PM »
DePaul is one of the worst D-1 teams I've ever seen.  But that was still fun.

Right.  Happy MU clobbered them, but DePaul is bad.  Worst team MU has played at home this year.  Rider is second worst, and an order of magnitude better!

Take the stat saving win over a bad depleted team.

Edit:  should add I was apparently wrong about Brady making them better.  Except for his first game as interim...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 10:27:52 PM by rocky_warrior »

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2024, 10:27:16 PM »
Duh Paul should just shut down their program and be done with it

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2024, 10:30:38 PM »
Duh Paul should just shut down their program and be done with it
They need their version of Kevin O'Neill, except I think KO's path was much easier than whoever DePaul's coach's will be.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2024, 10:31:24 PM »
Right.  Happy MU clobbered them, but DePaul is bad.  Worst team MU has played at home this year.  Rider is second worst, and an order of magnitude better!

Take the stat saving win over a bad depleted team.

Edit:  should add I was apparently wrong about Brady making them better.  Except for his first game as interim...

Agreed but maybe this gets Kam cooking.  He missed a bunch of open looks at UCONN.  We need the young man to shred the nets from downtown.  It could be the key to a deep tournament run. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2024, 10:31:46 PM »
Tre and Al looked just fine to me.

Clear point of emphasis to push the pace tonight. We were flying.

Tre looked bad on D, committed 4 fouls in 16 minutes. Al’s “shots” from 5 feet weren’t close. None of Tre or Zaide’s 5 3 point shots were close. Maybe we have a difference of opinion on what “just fine” means. Even with Chase and Ben in the lineup the second team was outplayed by DePaul. IMO their extended minutes were disappointing.
The first team, OTOH….
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 10:41:22 PM by Lennys Tap »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2024, 10:33:55 PM »
Agreed but maybe this gets Kam cooking.  He missed a bunch of open looks at UCONN.  We need the young man to shred the nets from downtown.  It could be the key to a deep tournament run.

Georgetown is the only team that plays worse defense than DePaul.  Also the last time Kam had a better game

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2024, 10:38:12 PM »
The least important factor
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2024, 10:49:28 PM »
Georgetown is the only team that plays worse defense than DePaul.  Also the last time Kam had a better game

True that Georgetown plays really bad D. But worse than DePaul? We could have scored 130 tonight if we wanted to.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2024, 10:50:36 PM »
Sucks that we played DePaul tonight because I honestly believe we would have beaten anybody we played, especially at Fiserv. Shaka had them ready to atone for the game in Hartford, and the players came out extremely focused and determined.

Need Kam to pretend that Creighton and UConn are DePaul and Georgetown; he'll get some open looks against them, and we need him to bury a high percentage of them.

I love that Shaka let Oso play PG for a few minutes in the second half -- a little appetite-whetter for NBA scouts. He looked like Magic Johnson out there - or at least like Ben Simmons used to look. 15 points, 9 rebs, 7 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals. Such a good player.

Kolek got a few "easy" assists thanks to the hot shooting of Kam and others, but he also made some incredible, absolutely perfect, high-degree-of-difficulty passes. What vision, imagination and skill. NBA skill.

Ross looked great. I hope he's OK. He will be a very important player for us a month from now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2024, 10:55:35 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 10:58:22 PM by MuggsyB »

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2024, 10:56:48 PM »
I am just disappointed the crazy DePaul end of bench googles guy / cheerleader / walk-on is no longer on team

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 11:00:57 PM »
I am just disappointed the crazy DePaul end of bench googles guy / cheerleader / walk-on is no longer on team

Per his LinkedIn account, he sells financial services for NY Life, so it worked out for him.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2024, 11:03:53 PM »
True that Georgetown plays really bad D. But worse than DePaul? We could have scored 130 tonight if we wanted to.

I think including tonight's game...
GTown... #313 (kenpom), #291(torvik)
DePaul.... #309 (kenpom), #296 (torvik)

Torvik just updated to put GTown ahead, and kenpom claims to have counted 42 of 45 games today.  Both historically bad defensive teams.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 11:05:50 PM by rocky_warrior »

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2024, 11:21:16 PM »
Is that better than working at Arby's?

Per his LinkedIn account, he sells financial services for NY Life, so it worked out for him.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2024, 06:19:16 AM »
Sucks that we played DePaul tonight because I honestly believe we would have beaten anybody we played, especially at Fiserv. Shaka had them ready to atone for the game in Hartford, and the players came out extremely focused and determined.

Need Kam to pretend that Creighton and UConn are DePaul and Georgetown; he'll get some open looks against them, and we need him to bury a high percentage of them.

I love that Shaka let Oso play PG for a few minutes in the second half -- a little appetite-whetter for NBA scouts. He looked like Magic Johnson out there - or at least like Ben Simmons used to look. 15 points, 9 rebs, 7 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals. Such a good player.

Kolek got a few "easy" assists thanks to the hot shooting of Kam and others, but he also made some incredible, absolutely perfect, high-degree-of-difficulty passes. What vision, imagination and skill. NBA skill.

Ross looked great. I hope he's OK. He will be a very important player for us a month from now.

Easy triple double if he plays the whole game.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2024, 06:34:57 AM »
I do hope that Chase and Ben are fine going into this next stretch.

I didn't hear any explanation for why Stevie was wearing a shoulder brace. Anyone know?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2024, 06:36:15 AM »
He has had tape on that shoulder previously.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2024, 06:41:08 AM »
I do hope that Chase and Ben are fine going into this next stretch.

I didn't hear any explanation for why Stevie was wearing a shoulder brace. Anyone know?

To brace his shoulder.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2024, 07:04:45 AM »
To brace his shoulder.

You heard it here first on Scoop!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2024, 07:19:52 AM »

First time I saw him on the bench, I legit thought it was some honorary thing for a mentally challenged person.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2024, 07:44:23 AM »
I think including tonight's game...
GTown... #313 (kenpom), #291(torvik)
DePaul.... #309 (kenpom), #296 (torvik)

Torvik just updated to put GTown ahead, and kenpom claims to have counted 42 of 45 games today.  Both historically bad defensive teams.

Or just historically bad, a combined 1-29 in conference play, if any of the bubble teams in the conference lose to them they are probably out.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2024, 07:51:16 AM »
Depaul has lost its last 15 games by an average of 24 points. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2024, 07:52:22 AM »
That DePaul team was probably the worst P6 team I have ever seen. DePaul cut the lead to 18 at the under 4:00 timeout. Shaka put in the starters and went on a 16-4 run to end the half, and they looked completely demoralized and disinterested. I was laughing at how bad some of those turnovers were.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2024, 07:56:36 AM »
That DePaul team was probably the worst P6 team I have ever seen. DePaul cut the lead to 18 at the under 4:00 timeout. Shaka put in the starters and went on a 16-4 run to end the half, and they looked completely demoralized and disinterested. I was laughing at how bad some of those turnovers were.

At some point during the game, I felt bad for the DePaul players.  They were probably very excited to play D1 basketball in a top flight conference at one point.

No one wants to go out there and get their asses kicked twice a week and look like fools.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2024, 08:02:22 AM »
At some point during the game, I felt bad for the DePaul players.  They were probably very excited to play D1 basketball in a top flight conference at one point.

No one wants to go out there and get their asses kicked twice a week and look like fools.

I felt the same way.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2024, 08:06:40 AM »
This is the Kam we need for a long March run.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2024, 08:16:32 AM »

I emailed Scholl during the game and asked for a STH refund.  Pathetic effort.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2024, 08:23:05 AM »

We need to consider a European relegation system when you are this bad, give another team a shot :)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2024, 09:23:41 AM »
Did I miss something on Chase?  I saw Ben hobbling with a tweaked ankle.  What happened to Chase that we hope he's okay from?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2024, 09:24:49 AM »
Did I miss something on Chase?  I saw Ben hobbling with a tweaked ankle.  What happened to Chase that we hope he's okay from?

Looked like he turned his ankle late in the game. The ref even stopped action for a bit. But he finished.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2024, 09:27:24 AM »
Lots of tweaked ankles this year, it seems. As Mars Blackmon once asked, "is it the shoes?"
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2024, 09:29:45 AM »
Lots of tweaked ankles this year, it seems. As Mars Blackmon once asked, "is it the shoes?"

It's the damn LA Gear contract...

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2024, 09:38:14 AM »

I think this was done as a result of the success UConn had with the double teams.  He did not do much in terms of pick and roll with Oso.  Just worked on dissecting the with passing.  Hopefully this approach will pay off in the future.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2024, 09:41:24 AM »
MU took advantage of DePaul jogging back and ran more fast break offense than usual last night.   Also, MU has not run a back door lob for Ross before last night.   

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2024, 09:43:20 AM »
We need to consider a European relegation system when you are this bad, give another team a shot :)

Last night my daughter asked -- in all sincerity -- "How are they still Division 1?" Apparently she thought that NCAA does have a relegation system.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2024, 12:00:54 PM »
Why is no one talking about how DePaul out rebounded us?????? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  /s

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2024, 12:16:35 PM »

Me, too, and I thought about it in almost exactly those terms.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2024, 12:19:33 PM »
Me, too, and I thought about it in almost exactly those terms.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2024, 12:21:46 PM »

that about sums up what i was thinking last night.  sad!

feedback