[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I guess I'm starting trouble  (Read 5816 times)

oilcan

• Team Captain
I guess I'm starting trouble
« on: February 20, 2024, 07:03:19 PM »
I’m glad MU hired Shaka Smart. I admire his philosophy and his decency. He sits down with the players on the team and tells each one what he needs them to do to elevate the team. He is a team builder and a recruiter. He keeps in touch with every player who is joining the team and shares what they can do to contribute when they join the team next year. I’m impressed.

What bothers me? Smart is traveling to recruit players and offering scholarships to good guards and small forwards. And they’re players who are athletic and scorers in high school. I admire that. And some of those guys are coming. But why isn’t MU recruiting big guys? I want big guys who can be coached into starters who can push butt and rebound and force the score against bigger teams. We see what’s going on with Purdue, Creighton and Uconn.

I know I’m going to get some flack here. But what are we doing with RJ Walson, Casey O’Malley, Jonah Lucas, Jake Ciardo, Cameron Brown and Jack Riley on this team?

I guess they play on the practice team? And they service a purpose. Why, I don’t understand. If they're never going to start why wouldn't the team recruit a player who could eventually start his junior year and play like Otoule or Crowder?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: I guess I'm starting trouble
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 07:09:15 PM »
Those are non-scholarship walk ons. They practice, but will never play unless it’s a blow out and will likely never develop into anything. They are limited to 13 scholarship players.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 07:10:27 PM »
None of those guys you listed are on scholarship.  They are on the team just to give the scholarship guys people to practice against and rebound for shooting drills.

And Shaka has recruited a lot of bigs the past couple of years.  Amadou and Hamilton are 5's, Parham is going to play the 5 in this system and Owens will probably play some at the 4 as well.  You dont need to be trotting out multiple 7 footers down low anymore.  Plus, 99% of 7 footers at the D1 level are terrible and only at that level because of their size.  Give me the mobile, athletic 6'9 types Shaka is recruiting every time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 07:12:11 PM »
The players you name are walk-ons.   Their role is practice fodder.    Assuming status quo, next season's roster will have 6 forwards.   Owens, Hamilton, Amadou, Parham, Gold, and Joplin.   6 guards, too.  Jones, Jones, Mitchell, Ross, Norman, and Lowery.   That means one available scholarship currently available for next season.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 07:17:58 PM »
Marquette hasn’t had a big body since Robert Jackson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 07:19:53 PM »
Jayce Johnson.   Theo John.  Avante Gar ner.   Chris O'Tule.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 07:20:07 PM »
OK I'm learning something. Thank you guys. I listed some names and I don't mean to hurt their feelings. I just want this team to win.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 07:20:51 PM »
Two articles today about bigs MU is recruiting but both are behind paywalls.

A 7 footer from the Australian NBA Academy.

https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/1759979171571286167?t=YEl4AJLzFeYWNHVRTjCN7Q&s=19

6-11 Will Garlock from Middleton, WI

https://twitter.com/BJenkins247/status/1759980238904213809?t=C9-Q7RIFfPvzc18752Slvw&s=19

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 07:20:58 PM »
As far as I know, none of them post here so you’re good.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 07:25:46 PM »
If there's one thing Shaka did really well at Texas, it was recruit and develop big guys.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2024, 07:26:27 PM »
MU is not going to be short on size next year. Shaka has a track record of getting big guys and making them a lot of money.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 07:59:28 PM »
It is actually  hard to retain quality scout team practice players who will stay for multiple seasons . Frequently they decided to focus on academics or transfer down a level or two to play. It is a credit to Shaka to be able to retain these guys who work hard every day in practice and add a lot of spirit to the squad.

We have plenty of bigs.

We need to recruit guys who can shoot the ball in the basket consistently. That is when the magic will happen.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 08:09:38 PM »
I'm old so I remember old guys. Maurice Lucas, Jim Chones, and Bo Ellis. I liked Theo John. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 08:15:32 PM »
I'm old so I remember old guys. Maurice Lucas, Jim Chones, and Bo Ellis. I liked Theo John.

You're damn lucky Oilcan!  I wish I could have seen Lucas, Ellis, Chones and the dominant MU teams of the 70's.  Lucas was a badass.  May he rest in peace. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 08:17:08 PM by MuggsyB »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2024, 08:25:33 PM »
You're damn lucky Oilcan!  I wish I could have seen Lucas, Ellis, Chones and the dominant MU teams of the 70's.  Lucas was a badass.  May he rest in peace.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2024, 08:36:03 PM »
Yeah…..what is Jack Riley doing on this team if he will never start???

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2024, 08:41:35 PM »
MU is not going to be short on size next year. Shaka has a track record of getting big guys and making them a lot of money.

This. He didn’t recruit Oso but he developed him into a first round pick.  I’m not sure what part of his potential will be realized but I still expect Ben to play in the NBA. A forward , but he helped develop OMax into a first round pick.

At Texas he consistently put bigs and forwards in the NBA. Mo Bamba, Jaxson Hayes, Kai Jones, Jarrett Allen, Greg Brown, Jericho Sims.

He basically puts a big or forward in the NBA annually. It’ll happen here too, through recruiting or development.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2024, 08:50:43 PM »
What's our 7 Badass Rotation?  Meaning guys you don't want to trifle with.  Ty.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 09:00:49 PM by MuggsyB »

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2024, 08:59:16 PM »
Look at Creighton shoot. They don't need a big center. l love to see UConn lose. I'm hoping we see that Wednesday March 6

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2024, 08:59:51 PM »

https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/1759979171571286167?t=YEl4AJLzFeYWNHVRTjCN7Q&s=19

6-11 Will Garlock from Middleton, WI

https://twitter.com/BJenkins247/status/1759980238904213809?t=C9-Q7RIFfPvzc18752Slvw&s=19

Interesting, with all the big bodies already in place.

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2024, 09:01:19 PM »
Garlock visited for a game but he isnt really a priority for us.  He'll end up in the Big Ten or Virginia.  I would be surprised if we take any bigs in 2025 with how many we will have on the roster already.  We need guards and wings in that class and we have a head start on some bigs in 2026.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 09:03:01 PM by JTJ3 »

romey

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2024, 09:41:02 PM »

Muggsy, my dad was an alum.  He had season tickets at the Milwaukee Arena.  I was in sixth grade and went to every home game beginning in the 71-72 season.  I was lucky enough to see those guys - Lucas, Lackey, McNeill, Bo.  We were so good.
Put guys in the NBA year after year.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2024, 10:24:14 PM »
UConn lost. Baylor lost. Kam please get us back to where we can win. The next 4 games shouldn't be hard but after that we need you.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2024, 10:27:27 PM »
UConn lost. Baylor lost. Kam please get us back to where we can win. The next 4 games shouldn't be hard but after that we need you.

We need Kam oilcan.  We really need Kam.  MU is really good when Kam knocks down trifectas and gives us 15-18 ppg with high efficiency. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2024, 10:30:03 PM »
Muggsy, my dad was an alum.  He had season tickets at the Milwaukee Arena.  I was in sixth grade and went to every home game beginning in the 71-72 season.  I was lucky enough to see those guys - Lucas, Lackey, McNeill, Bo.  We were so good.
Put guys in the NBA year after year.

How great is that!  You're very fortunate.  That said MU will continue its resurgence under Shaka.  And we have a great opportunity to make a deep run this season. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2024, 12:07:17 AM »
We need Kam oilcan.  We really need Kam.  MU is really good when Kam knocks down trifectas and gives us 15-18 ppg with high efficiency.

Muggsy, rest assured….

The best part of March will be Kam Jones. Book it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2024, 05:23:53 AM »
He was the leading scorer against UConn.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2024, 02:48:01 PM »
Interesting, with all the big bodies already in place.
MU is getting another Joey? FML
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2024, 02:49:06 PM »

You stole my phone screen photo, WTF Viper

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2024, 03:38:14 PM »
None of those guys you listed are on scholarship.  They are on the team just to give the scholarship guys people to practice against and rebound for shooting drills.

And Shaka has recruited a lot of bigs the past couple of years.  Amadou and Hamilton are 5's, Parham is going to play the 5 in this system and Owens will probably play some at the 4 as well.  You dont need to be trotting out multiple 7 footers down low anymore.  Plus, 99% of 7 footers at the D1 level are terrible and only at that level because of their size.  Give me the mobile, athletic 6'9 types Shaka is recruiting every time.
. Yes you do if you are playing against Clingan. Did you see how Kalkenberger being in the middle changed the entire dynamic against Creighton yesterday?  Aircraft carriers are still essential.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2024, 04:00:54 PM »
Did you see how Kalkenberger being in the middle changed the entire dynamic against Creighton yesterday?  Aircraft carriers are still essential.

No, but I saw how aircraft-carrier-less Marquette beat UConn twice last season despite the Sanogo/Clingan combo putting up nice numbers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2024, 04:04:45 PM »
. Yes you do if you are playing against Clingan. Did you see how Kalkenberger being in the middle changed the entire dynamic against Creighton yesterday?  Aircraft carriers are still essential.

They aren't "essential." Villanova won two championships without a player taller than 6'9"

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2024, 04:50:47 PM »
I'm having trouble deciphering whether the original post was satire or not.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2024, 05:04:17 PM »
Not from oilcan.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2024, 06:23:51 PM »
I understand I often get impatient and expect too much. Many fans are happy to see the team play well enough to have a successful year and make the tournament.  Not me. I want to see the team make the final four every year. Nothing less. Every effort is required. I know the stakes are so high in college basketball. It’s so competitive. You have to be more determined than anyone else. You have to recruit harder and work harder.

I grew up in Wisconsin. I want MU to recruit locals. I'm not familiar with Jack Riley but I know he's a 6'7' freshman from Delafield. I wish I knew his folks. I want him to work his heiney off and get a scholarship. And then I hope to see him start eventually. He could have taken a scholarship at a smaller school or a junior college but he wanted to play for Marquette. I admire his determination and I expect him to do what he needs to do to achieve his goals. I'm looking forward to it. 

Meanwhile, I said a lot of stuff about getting bigger. And someone reminded me today that Villanova won two championships with short 6'9" guys. Good point. Thank you. I appreciate everyone for sharing knowledge with me. I get lost sometimes not understanding what it takes.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2024, 06:48:14 PM »
I understand I often get impatient and expect too much. Many fans are happy to see the team play well enough to have a successful year and make the tournament.  Not me. I want to see the team make the final four every year. Nothing less. Every effort is required. I know the stakes are so high in college basketball. It’s so competitive. You have to be more determined than anyone else. You have to recruit harder and work harder.

I grew up in Wisconsin. I want MU to recruit locals. I'm not familiar with Jack Riley but I know he's a 6'7' freshman from Delafield. I wish I knew his folks. I want him to work his heiney off and get a scholarship. And then I hope to see him start eventually. He could have taken a scholarship at a smaller school or a junior college but he wanted to play for Marquette. I admire his determination and I expect him to do what he needs to do to achieve his goals. I'm looking forward to it. 

Meanwhile, I said a lot of stuff about getting bigger. And someone reminded me today that Villanova won two championships with short 6'9" guys. Good point. Thank you. I appreciate everyone for sharing knowledge with me. I get lost sometimes not understanding what it takes.
I want Shaka to recruit anyone he wants from wherever, in Shaka I trust, he is the coach.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2024, 07:00:37 PM »
I'm sure there have been some (I know UW has had some recently), but has Marquette had any former walk-ons earn a scholarship? Bruce Hayes is the only one who comes to mind. Not sure if he did, though.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2024, 07:06:56 PM »
Why couldn't a walk on earn a scholarship? Or become a star?  I love that movie "Rudy".

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2024, 07:15:35 PM »
Why couldn't a walk on earn a scholarship? Or become a star?  I love that movie "Rudy".

Rudy played one down and was offsides.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2024, 07:17:43 PM »
I'm sure there have been some (I know UW has had some recently), but has Marquette had any former walk-ons earn a scholarship? Bruce Hayes is the only one who comes to mind. Not sure if he did, though.

Jake Thomas did. Not sure if that was just due to having an extra spot or not.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2024, 07:37:00 PM »

Ok before I thought you were serious and uninformed but this is a joke right?
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2024, 07:48:53 PM »
Rudy’s a moron.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2024, 09:01:37 PM »
Yes

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2024, 09:12:02 PM »
Tommy Gardiner earned a scholarship. Unfortunately , he blew his knee out.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2024, 10:11:55 PM »
The walk-one got some run tonight.   Defense was adequate.   Offense, less so.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2024, 10:24:36 PM »
Ok before I thought you were serious and uninformed but this is a joke right?

Oilcan is a damn good fisherman. He gets 'em- hook, line and sinker.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2024, 10:34:48 PM »
Nope

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2024, 10:44:48 PM »

He’s way funnier than a lot of Scoop’s comedians.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2024, 10:59:45 PM »
He’s way funnier than a lot of Scoop’s comedians.
Funnier than Herman?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2024, 11:08:38 PM »
Funnier than Herman?

Yep. And way funnier than the crew who get their rocks off mocking Herman.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2024, 11:10:05 PM »
Yep. And way funnier than the crew who get their rocks off mocking Herman.
Herman is a spirit so no mocking, pray for him

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2024, 11:12:34 PM »
Let me know the next time a player of jae crowder caliber walks on to a team.

Of all the Forrest gump posts I've seen here..... this may be the one where Forrest it's a rocket scientist compared to the poster.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2024, 11:15:33 PM »
Was this an excellent win for Marquette tonight?

Herman is a spirit so no mocking, pray for him

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2024, 11:15:53 PM »
one where Forrest it's a rocket scientist 

I've it's a rocket scientist

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2024, 07:24:23 PM »
I enjoyed Wednesdays night’s game so much. Tyler and Kam and on and on. Oso and Joplin. That was fun. I will go on youtube and watch it over and over again. They looked liked the harlem globestroters. (Sic)  It’s a relief after Uconn tore us apart to play a team that couldn’t shoot straight. And the game was easy without difficulty or effort. And no one got hurt.

I’m not joking about stuff.  I’m getting restrained mentally. It just happened in the last month.  I’m starting to realize that Alzheimer’s is making me forget things and I can’t remember things that were easy to understand. I love college basket ball and now I have to study things every day. I have to write notes so I remember how to run a zone defense. Or a box and one.

I have talked recently about big players I remember in the old days. And I have to say one of my favorite players around 2003 when Crean was coaching was Robert Jackson. 6 ten 265. I think he was a Milwaukee kid. I loved Diener and Novak. They were skinny young guys who I routed for. They were just cutting their teeth in those days. Diener was bouncing the ball off the floor to set up shots.  And Novak could shoot like it was easy. And of course there was Wade. We will never forget Wade. And he will always remember his career at Marquette. He turned it on his junior year and evolved into the fireworks we marvel at on the Fourth of July. Oh my.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2024, 07:33:35 PM »
I enjoyed Wednesdays night’s game so much. Tyler and Kam and on and on. Oso and Joplin. That was fun. I will go on youtube and watch it over and over again. They looked liked the harlem globestroters. (Sic)  It’s a relief after Uconn tore us apart to play a team that couldn’t shoot straight. And the game was easy without difficulty or effort. And no one got hurt.

I’m not joking about stuff.  I’m getting restrained mentally. It just happened in the last month.  I’m starting to realize that Alzheimer’s is making me forget things and I can’t remember things that were easy to understand. I love college basket ball and now I have to study things every day. I have to write notes so I remember how to run a zone defense. Or a box and one.

I have talked recently about big players I remember in the old days. And I have to say one of my favorite players around 2003 when Crean was coaching was Robert Jackson. 6 ten 265. I think he was a Milwaukee kid. I loved Diener and Novak. They were skinny young guys who I routed for. They were just cutting their teeth in those days. Diener was bouncing the ball off the floor to set up shots.  And Novak could shoot like it was easy. And of course there was Wade. We will never forget Wade. And he will always remember his career at Marquette. He turned it on his junior year and evolved into the fireworks we marvel at on the Fourth of July. Oh my.

Very sorry to hear that Alzheimers is now affecting your life oilcan. And my sincere apologies for saying that you were having a little fun at the expense of scoopers. Please believe me that I would never, ever have written that if I had so much as a clue as to what was happening.

I am glad that you have such great memories of Marquette's basketball and hope that you continue to enjoy it all.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MochaJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2024, 07:39:05 PM »
I’m glad MU hired Shaka Smart. I admire his philosophy and his decency. He sits down with the players on the team and tells each one what he needs them to do to elevate the team. He is a team builder and a recruiter. He keeps in touch with every player who is joining the team and shares what they can do to contribute when they join the team next year. I’m impressed.

What bothers me? Smart is traveling to recruit players and offering scholarships to good guards and small forwards. And they’re players who are athletic and scorers in high school. I admire that. And some of those guys are coming. But why isn’t MU recruiting big guys? I want big guys who can be coached into starters who can push butt and rebound and force the score against bigger teams. We see what’s going on with Purdue, Creighton and Uconn.

I know I’m going to get some flack here. But what are we doing with RJ Walson, Casey O’Malley, Jonah Lucas, Jake Ciardo, Cameron Brown and Jack Riley on this team?

I guess they play on the practice team? And they service a purpose. Why, I don’t understand. If they're never going to start why wouldn't the team recruit a player who could eventually start his junior year and play like Otoule or Crowder?

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2024, 07:53:11 PM »
I retired and at the time I was healthy. I met my friends for a beer or two and talked about camping and fishing and sports. Very few of my friends enjoyed college basketball. But every day I told them I had a Marquette story for them.  And they would roll their eyes and I enjoyed it so much. It makes me laugh and smile right now. I enjoy basketball. I always have. It's so good to share with your family and your friends.  See you later.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2024, 08:17:23 PM »

MU starting a New Zealand pipeline.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2024, 08:43:00 PM »
There are many crucial aspects of Shaka's success.   A pipeline of New Zealand big men would be a key we all could embrace.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2024, 04:21:23 AM »
Oilcan

Always love your posts. I really hope you enjoy the rest of the season and the team goes deep. You have been watching as long as anyone on here and hope you are watching them back in the FF in April.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2024, 03:24:39 PM »
The walk-ons have scored the last couple goes, as well as playing decent  defense.   Chase said that in practice, they move the ball like the Globetrotters.