MUScoop > The Superbar

White Sox/Bears Stadium Showdown

(1/24) > >>

DegenerateDish:
I figured I’d start this as it’s own thread for those interested in this topic.

I’ve mentioned in both the MLB & NFL threads about the showdown going on in Illinois between the Sox and Bears fight to utilize TIF funds of $500 Million.

White Sox have been moving quickly to win this fight against the Bears, and threw an interesting haymaker at the Bears late this afternoon. The $1 Billion proposal includes rolling the ISFA tax into the new Sox park plan, retiring the city’s obligation to pay off Soldier Field debt. Clearly would be a huge blow for the Bears to build in the city.

I’m not sure what Kevin Warren’s long game is here, with Arlington making too much sense. The least shocking thing was the Bears tax relief proposal in Arlington getting rejected. Long term, the property tax bill would be insignificant, they’d be printing money in Arlington. Warren & the Bears posturing here is dumbfounding. Even if (big if) they owned the south lot at Soldier Field, that would still be a nightmare to move the team for a year or two to construct, and then still be a tenant to the city.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole:
It kinda feels like this whole Kevin Warren thing has been a big dud for the Bears. Or is this continued interference by the family.

DegenerateDish:

--- Quote from: The Sultan of Semantics on February 16, 2024, 07:05:20 PM ---It kinda feels like this whole Kevin Warren thing has been a big dud for the Bears. Or is this continued interference by the family.

--- End quote ---

The “day in the life” article on Kevin Warren (right around Christmas on the Bears site) was one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read.

Considering the Bears bought Arlington before Warren was even hired, it’s hard to find anything of substance that he’s done during his Bears career.

Pakuni:

--- Quote from: The Sultan of Semantics on February 16, 2024, 07:05:20 PM ---It kinda feels like this whole Kevin Warren thing has been a big dud for the Bears. Or is this continued interference by the family.

--- End quote ---

Ted Phillips was all in on Arlington.  He considered closing the deal for the land his closing legacy.
Warren came in, and has either legitimately turned the team's attention to the city or wants everyone to think that as a ham-fisted negotiating ploy.
Either way, the thing I keep coming back to is that the Bears paid about 50% more for the Arlington Park property than the next highest bidder. Which may indicate they're in for a huge loss if they try to flip it. Are theMcCaskeys (most of whom live in the suburbs, btw) willing to walk away from that money?

dgies9156:
When I read of he current tax controversy with the Arlington Heights site, all I could think of was "Welcome to the Suburbs, Bears!"

Around Chicago, there are so many blood sucking school districts that I'm amazed at how real estate values could appreciate at all. In my old suburb, we had an $87 million surplus so the district did the one thing every competitive suburban school district should do -- build a $27 million swimming pool! In many communities, they'd rebate the surplus back to the property tax payers. But, NOT IN ILLINOIS!!!

The Bears ran into the school district tax problem big time and if they build a stadium, it will only get worse. The Bears know it, which is why they're shopping for a new home in the city. I'm not sure dealing with Mayor Brandon is a good idea but, who knows?

If I were the Bears, I'd start growing corn on the property and get an agriculture exemption. Or find some other permitted use that will tax exempt the property?

Ministry anyone?????? Be a nice tax deduction! Joel Osteen could move to Arlington Heights!

Years ago, when the Bears and R2D2 (Richard II, or the kid) were negotiating for the reconstruction of Soldier Field into a giant, obsolete toilet seat, the late Mikey McCaskey threatened to move the Bears to Buffington Harbor, IN (Gary, for all you uninformed, non-gamblers). I'm beginning to think the Bears wished they'd called R2D2s bluff and actually moved there!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version