Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Stages of MU fandom  (Read 6370 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Stages of MU fandom
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2024, 01:43:32 PM »
I feel insulted and hurt that Wisblue is criticizing my opinion.

Nope.  Can't say it with a straight face.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 01:49:31 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2024, 01:48:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure that when I clicked "yes" on the MUSCOOP Terms of Service many years ago I was explicitly agreeing that everyone (including myself) is an idiot. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2024, 05:14:27 PM »
I like being entitled to my own opinion.
You seem very entitled
Goal is National Championship

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2024, 05:52:16 PM »
Entitled to my own idiotic opinions, and the enjoyment of other idiotic opinions courtesy of MUSCOOP.

But I honestly enjoy the comments, thoughts, reflections, analysis, and opinions of others.  Occasionally I learn, many times I laugh, and mostly I am grateful.

Thank you.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2024, 06:31:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure that when I clicked "yes" on the MUSCOOP Terms of Service many years ago I was explicitly agreeing that everyone (including myself) is an idiot.

Essentially, yes.

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason.  We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2024, 08:54:19 PM »
One thing I've always wondered about the way Chones' departure happened.
Thoughts?

Here's what I understand about it. Brother Goose probably knows more than anyone, but here's what I've read and seen over the years.

Mr. Chones was an incredible talent. In fact, he probably was the second best player ever to play for Marquette behind DWade. In February 1972, we were undefeated and winning, often convincingly. We were on our way to maybe challenging UCLA for a Natty. Think Indiana in 1976. We were THAT good.

At the same time, the ABA and NBA were engaged in a talent war, just as the NFL and AFL were in the 1960s. The ABA was an upstart basketball league and there wasn't the discipline about recruiting and signing college talent that there is today. At the time, Mr. Chones averaged 20.5 points and 11.9 rebounds per game for Marquette. Mr. Chones was the second early signing ever by professional basketball.

In those days, there was no NIL and players could not have agents. Coach McGuire knew about the offer to Mr. Chones. Coach McGuire and Mr. Chones went to Racine to speak with Mr. Chones' father. There's a lot of urban legend around what was actually said but the consensus  was that Mr. Chones should sign with the ABA. The view was that the ABA/NBA war would soon be settled and the level of incentive for Mr. Chones to turn pro would soon be far less than what was offered. Coach McGuire, to his credit, put the person above the institution, though I suspect Coach Al thought he could win no matter what.

Mr. Chones signed with the ABA the week of February 20, 1972. On Saturday, February 26, 1972, Marquette traveled to Detroit to play what's now known as Detroit Mercy. We were blown out 70-49. We subsequently lost a second road game to New Mexico State in early March and were soundly defeated at one of our favorite places -- the UD Arena -- by Kentucky and Adolph the Bigot. That was the NCAA tournament where Bob Lackey's eligibility was question, largely as a side show for Coach Rupp.

UCLA won the national title that year.

The "bitterness" 52 years later has more to do with what could have been. Had Mr. Chones stayed, we would have wasted Kentucky and wiped the floor with anyone in the region. As it was, Florida State was the national runner-up and they came from the same Mideast Regional we did. UCLA had Sophomore Bill Walton and was undefeated. Had Mr. Chones stayed, most of us believe that we and UCLA both would have been undefeated going into the NCAA Championship.

It would have been a great match-up.

Many of us also believe that had Mr. Chones stayed for four years, Marquette would have been virtually invincible in 1972-1973. We had Larry McNeill, who later signed a pro contract, and a young Maurice Lucas, to go with Allie McGuire, Sugar Frazier and Marcus Washington. Earl Tatum rode the bench that year as a freshman. We were 25-4 that year and could well have been 31-0 and national champions.

To the question of whether Marquette was cheating on recruiting, there's no way of ever knowing. Anyone involved in the recruiting process in the 1960s and 1970s probably is dead and dead men tell no tales. I'm skeptical Marquette did because too many people hated us in those days and the NCAA was crawling up the bowels of the Old Gym! Keep in mind that Marquette was one of a comparatively few high-profile universities that actively recruited, coached up and started African-American ballplayers. This was especially true from Coach McGuire's first season in 1964-1965 through the mid-1970s. UCLA clearly was another and North Carolina ultimately became a third.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2024, 08:57:19 PM »
Here's what I understand about it. Brother Goose probably knows more than anyone, but here's what I've read and seen over the years.

Mr. Chones was an incredible talent. In fact, he probably was the second best player ever to play for Marquette behind DWade. In February 1972, we were undefeated and winning, often convincingly. We were on our way to maybe challenging UCLA for a Natty. Think Indiana in 1976. We were THAT good.

At the same time, the ABA and NBA were engaged in a talent war, just as the NFL and AFL were in the 1960s. The ABA was an upstart basketball league and there wasn't the discipline about recruiting and signing college talent that there is today. At the time, Mr. Chones averaged 20.5 points and 11.9 rebounds per game for Marquette. Mr. Chones was the second early signing ever by professional basketball.

In those days, there was no NIL and players could not have agents. Coach McGuire knew about the offer to Mr. Chones. Coach McGuire and Mr. Chones went to Racine to speak with Mr. Chones' father. There's a lot of urban legend around what was actually said but the consensus  was that Mr. Chones should sign with the ABA. The view was that the ABA/NBA war would soon be settled and the level of incentive for Mr. Chones to turn pro would soon be far less than what was offered. Coach McGuire, to his credit, put the person above the institution, though I suspect Coach Al thought he could win no matter what.

Mr. Chones signed with the ABA the week of February 20, 1972. On Saturday, February 26, 1972, Marquette traveled to Detroit to play what's now known as Detroit Mercy. We were blown out 70-49. We subsequently lost a second road game to New Mexico State in early March and were soundly defeated at one of our favorite places -- the UD Arena -- by Kentucky and Adolph the Bigot. That was the NCAA tournament where Bob Lackey's eligibility was question, largely as a side show for Coach Rupp.

UCLA won the national title that year.

The "bitterness" 52 years later has more to do with what could have been. Had Mr. Chones stayed, we would have wasted Kentucky and wiped the floor with anyone in the region. As it was, Florida State was the national runner-up and they came from the same Mideast Regional we did. UCLA had Sophomore Bill Walton and was undefeated. Had Mr. Chones stayed, most of us believe that we and UCLA both would have been undefeated going into the NCAA Championship.

It would have been a great match-up.

Many of us also believe that had Mr. Chones stayed for four years, Marquette would have been virtually invincible in 1972-1973. We had Larry McNeill, who later signed a pro contract, and a young Maurice Lucas, to go with Allie McGuire, Sugar Frazier and Marcus Washington. Earl Tatum rode the bench that year as a freshman. We were 25-4 that year and could well have been 31-0 and national champions.

To the question of whether Marquette was cheating on recruiting, there's no way of ever knowing. Anyone involved in the recruiting process in the 1960s and 1970s probably is dead and dead men tell no tales. I'm skeptical Marquette did because too many people hated us in those days and the NCAA was crawling up the bowels of the Old Gym! Keep in mind that Marquette was one of a comparatively few high-profile universities that actively recruited, coached up and started African-American ballplayers. This was especially true from Coach McGuire's first season in 1964-1965 through the mid-1970s. UCLA clearly was another and North Carolina ultimately became a third.

Don't forget UTEP in '66.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2024, 09:01:30 PM »
Don't forget UTEP in '66.

UTEP was a one-year fluke and was not able to sustain the level of excellence we did from 1967 until 1980.

Yes, what UTEP did in 1966 was one for the books, as was what Loyola of Chicago did in 1963. But it's important to note that among consistent blue bloods of the day, Marquette and UCLA usually won with African-American athletes. African-American basketball players were truly welcomed by both programs and both schools started the five best players available without regard to skin color.

And they won!!!!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 07:58:43 AM by dgies9156 »

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2024, 10:40:26 PM »
I feel insulted and hurt that Wisblue is criticizing my opinion.

Nope.  Can't say it with a straight face.

I don’t expect you to be insulted or hurt.

Just expressing my opinion about your style when you choose to deviate from opinions about basketball and instead criticize and ridicule how others express themselves.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 10:55:50 PM by wisblue »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2024, 11:04:35 AM »
UTEP was a one-year fluke and was not able to sustain the level of excellence we did from 1967 until 1980.

Yes, what UTEP did in 1966 was one for the books, as was what Loyola of Chicago did in 1963. But it's important to note that among consistent blue bloods of the day, Marquette and UCLA usually won with African-American athletes. African-American basketball players were truly welcomed by both programs and both schools started the five best players available without regard to skin color.

And they won!!!!

Marquette was no Blue Blood back in '66 nor was UCLA with NCAA titles in 64 and 65. UK had won 4 titles but no black players. San Francisco won 2 titles, the first with 3 black starters. Cincinnati also won 2 with black players prior to '66. I am not sure what a Blue Blood is prior to 1966. As for winning, yes UCLA dominated the sport from '64 through '75. Few other schools were winning, but had black players with the exception of some schools in the deep south. UTEP set the tone when it came to race in college ball and won a NC. I guess others could say Marquette is a fluke as well as we only have one NC as well.

feedback