collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: US Economy thread  (Read 13005 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: US Economy thread
« Reply #350 on: March 29, 2024, 10:23:17 AM »
More word salads commin' outta DC. Sorry, da economy sucks ass, hey?

If this were your demented cult leader's economy, he (and you) would be touting it as: People Are Saying This Is The Bigliest Economy In The History Of Bigly Economies.

Then he'd go out and grift some $60 bibles while he wears a MAGA hat during his patriot hostages' out-of-tune rendition of the national anthem.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #351 on: March 29, 2024, 10:23:49 AM »
If this were your demented cult leader's economy, he (and you) would be touting it as: People Are Saying This Is The Bigliest Economy In The History Of Bigly Economies.

Then he'd go out and grift some $60 bibles while he wears a MAGA hat during his patriot hostages' out-of-tune rendition of the national anthem.

As an evangelical Christian, I bought a dozen of those
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #352 on: March 29, 2024, 10:33:11 AM »
More word salads commin' outta DC. Sorry, da economy sucks ass, hey?
Thanks, Maria. I'd also like to hear more on your take about how a freighter hitting a bridge is due to "open borders".
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #353 on: April 03, 2024, 07:45:01 AM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #354 on: April 03, 2024, 10:05:39 AM »
1.4 jobs available for every American looking for work.

This is my fault.  I work 0.625 of my job.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #355 on: April 04, 2024, 05:00:44 PM »
https://popular.info/p/corporate-profit-bonanza

In the last three months of 2023, after-tax corporate profits reached an all-time high of $2.8 trillion.

According to an analysis from the Groundwork Collaborative, "corporate profits drove 53 percent of inflation during the second and third quarters of 2023 and more than one-third since the start of the pandemic." In the four decades prior to the pandemic, corporate profits contributed to just 11% of price increases.

It's possible for corporate profits to be used productively to fuel innovation and growth. But that doesn't appear to be happening. Economist Christian Weller notes that corporations are using their record profits "mainly to pay dividends to their shareholders and building up their stockpiles of cash."

Between December 2019 and December 2023, non-financial corporations used almost half of their pre-tax profits (48.9%) to pay dividends to investors. That is the highest share of corporate profits devoted to dividends since the 1950s. The same group of corporations now has $7.2 trillion in cash, up from $6.1 trillion in 2019, adjusted for inflation. Meanwhile, capital expenditures — which is a key way corporations invest in the future — are at historic lows relative to profits.

Also alluded to is the power or oligopolies and monopolies, which play large role as corporate consolidation is bad for consumers

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #356 on: April 05, 2024, 08:27:57 AM »
"The headlines from the March employment report were all good economically speaking. Nonfarm payrolls increased by 303,000, the unemployment rate dipped to 3.8%, average hourly earnings were up 0.3%, and the average workweek increased to 34.4 hours.

The key takeaway from the report is that it continued to support a solid earnings growth outlook even if it didn't necessarily support the outlook for the Fed to cut rates soon." -- Briefing.com

Or as defined by dentists, Disaster.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #357 on: April 05, 2024, 09:06:28 AM »
The US economic recovery is absolutely crushing Europe, what a great run

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #358 on: April 05, 2024, 09:10:20 AM »

The COVID relief packages were massive. Caused some of the inflation we are dealing with, but absolutely spurred the recovery quicker and stronger.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #359 on: April 05, 2024, 09:42:22 AM »
"The headlines from the March employment report were all good economically speaking. Nonfarm payrolls increased by 303,000, the unemployment rate dipped to 3.8%, average hourly earnings were up 0.3%, and the average workweek increased to 34.4 hours.

The key takeaway from the report is that it continued to support a solid earnings growth outlook even if it didn't necessarily support the outlook for the Fed to cut rates soon." -- Briefing.com

Or as defined by dentists, Disaster.

More horrible news for those rooting against the U.S. economy.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #360 on: April 05, 2024, 10:59:05 AM »
Couldn’t get a 2500 Denali in the right color?
Manatee green is in short supply, due to the near extinction of these sea cows. Actual manatee skin is used for dye.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #361 on: April 05, 2024, 01:19:17 PM »

Doesn't hurt that Europe can't get out of their own damn way

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #362 on: April 05, 2024, 07:33:37 PM »
https://popular.info/p/corporate-profit-bonanza

Also alluded to is the power or oligopolies and monopolies, which play large role as corporate consolidation is bad for consumers
jesmu84:
Dividends are a healthy event doe the economy. A very large percentage of the equity markets are owned by Public and Private Pension Funds as well as 401K and 403 B plans. Those Dividends help fund those retirees income streams .

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #363 on: April 05, 2024, 08:40:26 PM »

True. And you would be saying it was occurring in spite of him. I certainly don’t recall any praise from you or your minions for Trump re his pre Covid economy.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #364 on: April 05, 2024, 11:11:04 PM »
True. And you would be saying it was occurring in spite of him. I certainly don’t recall any praise from you or your minions for Trump re his pre Covid economy.

I actually dont think that's true. I recall several posts from never trumpers on here who acknowledged how well the economy did under Trump pre COVID. I know i made a couple of them.

What i certainly don't recall is dozens of posts bashing Trumps pre COVID economy and saying it was terrible when it obviously wasn't.

Just because one side does it (on scoop) doesnt mean the other side did.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #365 on: April 05, 2024, 11:59:29 PM »

What TAMU said.

• All American
« Reply #366 on: April 06, 2024, 06:04:28 AM »
I actually dont think that's true. I recall several posts from never trumpers on here who acknowledged how well the economy did under Trump pre COVID. I know i made a couple of them.

What i certainly don't recall is dozens of posts bashing Trumps pre COVID economy and saying it was terrible when it obviously wasn't.

Just because one side does it (on scoop) doesnt mean the other side did.

Or claim that the data was falsified.

Anyway, I have claimed repeatedly that Trump's 2020 messaging was awful. He did a bunch of stuff that was actually GOOD early on in the response, but then never seemed to talk about it or claim it as his own.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #367 on: April 06, 2024, 07:24:22 AM »
He yielded to the "experts" Fr. Fauci and his sidekick Burks. Pretty sure had Trump to do over, neither would have been the "face" of covid, nor would they have been trotted out each night to pontificate their covid expertise, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #368 on: April 06, 2024, 07:31:00 AM »
He yielded to the "experts" Fr. Fauci and his sidekick Burks. Pretty sure had Trump to do over, neither would have been the "face" of covid, nor would they have been trotted out each night to pontificate their covid expertise, aina?

Actually if he would have leaned more into their recommendations , he would be wrapping up his second term.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #369 on: April 06, 2024, 07:34:07 AM »
What recommendations did he turn a deaf ear to, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #370 on: April 06, 2024, 07:48:31 AM »
What recommendations did he turn a deaf ear to, hey?

Many. Are you serious?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #371 on: April 06, 2024, 07:52:44 AM »
Many. Are you serious?

Well, he didn’t spray Lysol up his ass
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #372 on: April 06, 2024, 08:23:33 AM »

Or claim that the data was falsified.

Anyway, I have claimed repeatedly that Trump's 2020 messaging was awful. He did a bunch of stuff that was actually GOOD early on in the response, but then never seemed to talk about it or claim it as his own.

He couldn't (and still can't) emphasize the success of Operation Warpspeed because his voters are against it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #373 on: April 06, 2024, 08:32:59 AM »
Hey Doc,

Back to my Mexican night out last night, I was there with very high net worth folks and aside from MU basketball the entire conversation was on the economy. I always like to listen and learn from people and it was great conversation.

During the night they mentioned multiple things that they have cut out if their life simply due to inflated costs. It ranged from big items like a new car, a milestone birthday trip to simple everyday purchases.

They simply said that they refuse to pay the inflated costs and would rather give the money to their kids. This is not the first time that I have heard this from other wealthy people.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #374 on: April 06, 2024, 08:39:58 AM »
Hey Doc,

Back to my Mexican night out last night, I was there with very high net worth folks and aside from MU basketball the entire conversation was on the economy. I always like to listen and learn from people and it was great conversation.

During the night they mentioned multiple things that they have cut out if their life simply due to inflated costs. It ranged from big items like a new car, a milestone birthday trip to simple everyday purchases.

They simply said that they refuse to pay the inflated costs and would rather give the money to their kids. This is not the first time that I have heard this from other wealthy people.
Oh noes!  Feel very bad for them. Must be tough to have to make choices like every other non-wealthy person has had to do forever. I hope the economy improves so they can go back to their previous carefree lives.