collapse

* Recent Posts

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MU82
[Today at 09:58:34 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 09:27:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by HutchwasClutch
[June 01, 2024, 07:03:02 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: US Economy thread  (Read 30710 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: US Economy thread
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2024, 07:48:09 AM »
This is missing the cross reference of how ownership of said rental properties has become concentrated.   Monopolization and then extorting rents because they can.

But on the flip side, it isn't like there are a whole lot of rental properties sitting empty or houses sitting empty.   Except out in the country and in small towns too remote from the cultural hubs that are the cities.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2024, 07:56:48 AM »
+350,00 jobs in January

#AINA
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2024, 07:58:59 AM »
From Seeking Alpha:

January U.S. Nonfarm Payrolls: +353K vs. +170K expected and +333K prior (revised from +216K).

Job gains were the strongest in professional and business services, health care, retail trade, and social assistance, the U.S. Department of Labor said on Friday.

Unemployment rate: 3.7% vs. 3.8% expected and 3.7% prior.

Yes, there are layoffs in some industries, but there is a pretty big labor shortage overall.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2024, 08:03:57 AM »
Big layoffs always draw headlines. But the incremental increase in hiring happening everywhere else is more than making up for it.

I know there are a lot of people hoping and praying for the economy to tank, just like they are suddenly hoping and praying that the border crisis isn't fixed, but it's just not happening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2024, 08:10:38 AM »
Big layoffs always draw headlines. But the incremental increase in hiring happening everywhere else is more than making up for it.

I know there are a lot of people hoping and praying for the economy to tank, just like they are suddenly hoping and praying that the border crisis isn't fixed, but it's just not happening.

They're also hoping and praying for crime to swallow up the MU campus and major US cities.  Does God not like them?  He doesn't seem to listen. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2024, 08:12:27 AM »

What makes you think that?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna136649
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2024, 09:07:12 AM »
What makes you think that?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna136649
They say the quiet part out loud quite often these days. And the cult loves it.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2024, 09:16:07 AM »
They say the quiet part out loud quite often these days. And the cult loves it.

Nah.

It's not a governing body anymore. It's team sports now.

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2024, 09:17:48 AM »
Nah.

It's not a governing body anymore. It's team sports now.

That is 100% correct. It's not about winning for the sake of policy. Its about winning for the sake of winning.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2024, 09:18:52 AM »
WASHINGTON -- The nation’s employers delivered a stunning burst of hiring to begin 2024, adding 353,000 jobs in January in the latest sign of the economy’s continuing ability to shrug off the highest interest rates in two decades.

Friday’s government report showed that last month’s job gain — far above what economists had predicted — topped the December gain of 333,000, a figure that was itself revised sharply higher. The unemployment rate stayed at 3.7%, just above a half-century low.

Wages rose unexpectedly fast in January, too. Average hourly pay climbed a sharp 0.6% from December, the fastest monthly gain in nearly two years, and 4.5% from January 2023.

The unemployment rate has now come in below 4% for two straight years, the longest such streak since the 1960s.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-jobs-report-january-show-steady-hiring-growth-106887552

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2024, 09:37:47 AM »
WASHINGTON -- The nation’s employers delivered a stunning burst of hiring to begin 2024, adding 353,000 jobs in January in the latest sign of the economy’s continuing ability to shrug off the highest interest rates in two decades.

Friday’s government report showed that last month’s job gain — far above what economists had predicted — topped the December gain of 333,000, a figure that was itself revised sharply higher. The unemployment rate stayed at 3.7%, just above a half-century low.

Wages rose unexpectedly fast in January, too. Average hourly pay climbed a sharp 0.6% from December, the fastest monthly gain in nearly two years, and 4.5% from January 2023.

The unemployment rate has now come in below 4% for two straight years, the longest such streak since the 1960s.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-jobs-report-january-show-steady-hiring-growth-106887552

The DOW is at record highs,
The S&P is at record highs,
My 401k is 18.9% YoY,
Gas is in the mid $2.00s,

But keep telling me the ecomony is bad.

#AINA

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2024, 09:54:45 AM »
The DOW is at record highs,
The S&P is at record highs,
My 401k is 18.9% YoY,
Gas is in the mid $2.00s,

But keep telling me the ecomony is bad.

#AINA

The "economy" is not the stock market.

Only about half of the US is invested (can afford) stocks

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2024, 09:58:25 AM »
So what indices do you use to measure the health of an economy?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2024, 10:03:07 AM »

Sir, this is a thread about feelings not numbers

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2024, 10:03:36 AM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2024, 10:11:25 AM »
The "economy" is not the stock market.

Only about half of the US is invested (can afford) stocks

More like 61%.
And while you're correct that the stock market alone isn't the economy and not everyone directly benefits from a strong market, nearly everyone indirectly benefits through job creation and wealth generation.
It's by no means everything, but it's really important.

I get your point... not everyone is thriving in this economy. That's true. But there's never been a time when everyone has thrived economically.  I don't say that with indifference to those who are struggling, but to point out that the existence of struggling people does not mean the economy isn't humming.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2024, 11:11:50 AM »
“Mea culpa,” Fox Business host Larry Kudlow said on the air Thursday. “I was wrong about the slowdown and the recession, so was the entire forecasting fraternity.”

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2024, 11:36:06 AM »
Now we know why the Fed indicated that it wouldn't be cutting rates in March.  The economy is just too strong to stimulate it at this point. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2024, 11:41:43 AM »
More like 61%.
And while you're correct that the stock market alone isn't the economy and not everyone directly benefits from a strong market, nearly everyone indirectly benefits through job creation and wealth generation.
It's by no means everything, but it's really important. I

I get your point... not everyone is thriving in this economy. That's true. But there's never been a time when everyone has thrived economically.  I don't say that with indifference to those who are struggling, but to point out that the existence of struggling people does not mean the economy isn't humming.

The top 10% owns almost 90% of all stocks. The top 1% owns 53%.

When we focus on stock market and investment growth, we're funneling money upwards.

Yes, we might create some jobs for the bottom 50%. But until those jobs provide meaningful ("living") wages, I'm not sure it's all that beneficial to focus so much on "stock market go up."

The alternative, of course, would be to provide a robust social safety net on the federal level.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2024, 11:43:46 AM »

Likely the far majority that post here are thankfully stable enough to focus on the stock market situation as a reflection of their economic success.

I'd look at more stats/data that tell us how the bottom 25-50% of our nation are doing.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2024, 11:48:04 AM »
*Real GDP and Real GDP per capita
*Employment rate
*Retail sales
*Consumer confidence
*Inflation

Not an exhaustive list, but each of these are probably better at getting a snapshot of the entire economic picture than the stock market.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2024, 11:57:13 AM »

I'd look at more stats/data that tell us how the bottom 25-50% of our nation are doing.

Which stats/data are those?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2024, 11:59:36 AM »
The top 10% owns almost 90% of all stocks. The top 1% owns 53%.

When we focus on stock market and investment growth, we're funneling money upwards.

Yes, we might create some jobs for the bottom 50%. But until those jobs provide meaningful ("living") wages, I'm not sure it's all that beneficial to focus so much on "stock market go up."

The alternative, of course, would be to provide a robust social safety net on the federal level.

I'm not disagreeing with anything here. I'm disagreeing with the idea that the stock market isn't a measure of the overall economy.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2024, 12:28:18 PM »
Which stats/data are those?

I like to view the median wages of those populations compared to inflation, productivity and purchasing power.

I also like to view the savings rates of those same populations.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2024, 01:18:40 PM »
“Mea culpa,” Fox Business host Larry Kudlow said on the air Thursday. “I was wrong about the slowdown and the recession, so was the entire forecasting fraternity.”

at least he had the character to acknowledge and apologize.  most of your "experts" just ignore and move on to their next buffoonery
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback