Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul Fires Stubblefield  (Read 5817 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: DePaul Fires Stubblefield
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2024, 10:21:44 PM »
I'm sure the response will be the best home crowd of the season.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2024, 05:57:55 AM »
Patrick Ewing is available but DePaul probably wants to see if the third time is a charm with Dave Leitao.

There is a rumor nolongerwarrior is interviewing for the job.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2024, 08:50:13 AM »
There is a rumor nolongerwarrior is interviewing for the job.

He probably thinks it's an attractive job because of the two guaranteed wins each year in conference.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2024, 10:24:07 AM »
Who wants that job?

Any coach who wants to make seven figures coaching a Big East team in the nation's third-biggest media market and home of the nation's best prep basketball.

Other than that, probably not many.........................
We Are Marquette

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2024, 10:28:11 AM »
Any coach who wants to make seven figures coaching a Big East team in the nation's third-biggest media market and home of the nation's best prep basketball.

Other than that, probably not many.........................

The contract means a lot.

But in this day and age I don't think media market size and proximity to high school kids means as much as it used to. Student athletes go all over these days and every game is on television somewhere.

What matters more are financial commitments for things like facilities and NIL. It seems like De Paul is talking a good game in that regards, but we will see if they follow through.  Otherwise they are just a half step up from UIC and Loyola.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2024, 10:33:05 AM »

The contract means a lot.

But in this day and age I don't think media market size and proximity to high school kids means as much as it used to. Student athletes go all over these days and every game is on television somewhere.

What matters more are financial commitments for things like facilities and NIL. It seems like De Paul is talking a good game in that regards, but we will see if they follow through.  Otherwise they are just a half step up from UIC and Loyola.

There will be no shortage of options for DePaul to fill the vacancy.

How good of a job it is or is not is a separate discussion. There are thousands of coaches who would take a Big East job if for no other reason than to have on coaching resume - like any other profession.
We Are Marquette

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2024, 10:37:45 AM »
There will be no shortage of options for DePaul to fill the vacancy.

How good of a job it is or is not is a separate discussion. There are thousands of coaches who would take a Big East job if for no other reason than to have on coaching resume - like any other profession.

Absolutely agree.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2024, 10:48:18 AM »
But in this day and age I don't think media market size and proximity to high school kids means as much as it used to.

Media market may matter to some kids if they feel like they're actually representing a massive city. But proximity I agree that it doesn't matter at all, I mean Providence has two kids from Chicagoland (one Fenwick one Ignatious) with no contributors from RI or even Mass. we have just one kid from Milwaukee area, none from greater Wisconsin or Chicagoland. I don't know about the other big east schools but I imagine it's somewhat similar.

The idea that you have to lock down your local recruiting, I think, is outdated for the most part.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 11:03:48 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2024, 10:53:33 AM »
I would venture to say after NIL, the next reason kids choose a school is based on "which coach can get me to the league?" Lexington, Kentucky and Lawrence, Kansas aren't exactly massive media markets - but they do have coaches that have had dozens of student athletes go pro.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2024, 10:55:22 AM »
I would venture to say after NIL, the next reason kids choose a school is based on "which coach can get me to the league?" Lexington, Kentucky and Lawrence, Kansas aren't exactly massive media markets - but they do have coaches that have had dozens of student athletes go pro.

kIdS sIgN fOr ThE sChOoL
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2024, 10:58:56 AM »
Media market may matter to some kids if they feel like they're actually representing a massive city. But proximity I agree that it doesn't matter at all, I mean Providence has two kids from Chicagoland (one Fenwick one Ignatious), we have just one kid from Milwaukee area, none from greater Wisconsin or Chicagoland. I don't know about the other big east schools but I imagine it's somewhat similar.

The idea that you have to lock down your local recruiting, I think, is outdated for the most part.

Agree mostly on your entire post, but especially the bolded. Local talent can sometimes be a problem, as there can be a chorus of local people in the players camp second guessing how the coach uses the player. Sure, they can get to the player a 1,000 miles away, but in person, they may be more persuasive.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2024, 11:05:04 AM »
Agree mostly on your entire post, but especially the bolded. Local talent can sometimes be a problem, as there can be a chorus of local people in the players camp second guessing how the coach uses the player. Sure, they can get to the player a 1,000 miles away, but in person, they may be more persuasive.

Or even, say, 155 miles northwest, give or take a few miles, of your campus...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2024, 11:06:02 AM »
Media market may matter to some kids if they feel like they're actually representing a massive city. But proximity I agree that it doesn't matter at all, I mean Providence has two kids from Chicagoland (one Fenwick one Ignatious) with no contributors from RI or even Mass. we have just one kid from Milwaukee area, none from greater Wisconsin or Chicagoland. I don't know about the other big east schools but I imagine it's somewhat similar.

That might generally be true, but not when your "local recruiting" is Chicagoland.

I can't even count how many Chicagoland kids are in the league right now let alone playing D1 hoops.
We Are Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2024, 11:06:43 AM »
Or even, say, 155 miles northwest, give or take a few miles, of your campus...

If only their HS English teacher hadn't kept demanding they work on their letter writing after graduation.
Maigh Eo for Sam

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2024, 11:14:56 AM »
Is it absolute insanity to think that for the right price Porter Moser would consider? I’m sure he’s got a wild buy out.

I know he’s doing very well over there this year, but I wonder how much he loves it in Oklahoma and misses home?

Probably seems like a pipe dream but that would be my first call.
He would change that program around and likely be a lifer.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2024, 11:20:36 AM »
That might generally be true, but not when your "local recruiting" is Chicagoland.

I can't even count how many Chicagoland kids are in the league right now let alone playing D1 hoops.

going to disagree, just curious why didn't you go to DePaul? If it was to get away then why would we expect these athletes to be any different?

Here's a few scenarios I see:

From violent or poor neighborhood, wants to get away from there. This is going to be a lot of the top kids coming through Simeon or Curie

From middle class neighborhood, maybe this segment would stay and rep the city. Unsure how many there are. I know NDHS had a D1 guy a bit ago, DPHS seems to be top ranked right now so maybe they'd have a couple guys. Depaul thought they opened this up with Billy Garrett, and seemingly were close with Jabari Parker and Okafor (unless it was a pity consideration).

From the suburbs, it'd be ingrained in your head that college is the era to move away like most people in the area. Probably going to look at B1G schools or the Midwest Big East schools if you dream of cities.

I'm sure there's plenty of D1 guys but let's narrow it down to high major D1 or top mid majors, then cut a reasonable percentage that you would expect didn't want to leave home and see the world. I doubt it's many.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2024, 11:30:10 AM »
Is it absolute insanity to think that for the right price Porter Moser would consider? I’m sure he’s got a wild buy out.

I know he’s doing very well over there this year, but I wonder how much he loves it in Oklahoma and misses home?

Probably seems like a pipe dream but that would be my first call.
He would change that program around and likely be a lifer.

His buyout was $9 million, dropping to $6 million after April 1st of last year.

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2024, 12:51:50 PM »
Someone posted I4 in jest, but honestly, why not?  No buyout, he seems to have a redeemed affinity for MU which would probably reflect well on the conference and urban private school environment, and honestly his connection to D Wade could be as effective a selling point to Chicago talent as anyone else they'll get.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2024, 12:57:16 PM »
Someone posted I4 in jest, but honestly, why not?  No buyout, he seems to have a redeemed affinity for MU which would probably reflect well on the conference and urban private school environment, and honestly his connection to D Wade could be as effective a selling point to Chicago talent as anyone else they'll get.

Because he was terrible at his last stop and feels like the "old, retread" that De Paul usually hires.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2024, 12:59:04 PM »
His buyout was $9 million, dropping to $6 million after April 1st of last year.

Sounds like DePaul just needs their version of the Michels alums and they could be cookin with gas

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2024, 01:07:48 PM »
Sounds like DePaul just needs their version of the Michels alums and they could be cookin with gas

Wake up Doc. Biden says no gas for cooking.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2024, 01:17:51 PM »
Article in The Athletic says Brian Wardle on DePaul’s list

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2024, 01:22:49 PM »
Wake up Doc. Biden says no gas for cooking.
My wife and went electric stove at the end of the last millennium.   I had seen too many fires that wouldn't have happened with electric, gas leaks, and non-functioning pilot lights leading to CO issues.    Wayyyyyy ahead of the curve.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2024, 01:24:58 PM »
My wife and went electric stove at the end of the last millennium.   I had seen too many fires that wouldn't have happened with electric, gas leaks, and non-functioning pilot lights leading to CO issues.    Wayyyyyy ahead of the curve.

Do gas stoves still have pilot lights?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2024, 01:30:48 PM »
They did in the 90s when I changed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback