[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 143483 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #1250 on: April 18, 2024, 01:57:13 PM »
No competition anymore for the ESPN 30 on 30 "How Not to use the Portal" featuring Shaka Smart

Shaka used the portal plenty.  He has one spot available this off-season.  It appears the focus is on the kid from Germany.

He used the portal to bring in TyKo, OMax, Kur, Morsell and Wrightsail.

Also, the portal isn’t closed.  Entirely possible they have someone(s) who may leave.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1251 on: April 18, 2024, 02:00:45 PM »
Wisconsin crying poor is a load of crap.  Truth is, if Hepburn does have a stupid deal available, I’d let him walk, too.  Guy ain’t exactly a difference maker and wouldn’t surprise me if they found someone better.
…he beat us 3x’s, Sultan/Rico. Glad he’s gone. Let the SS Badger sink.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1252 on: April 18, 2024, 02:08:15 PM »
…he beat us 3x’s, Sultan/Rico. Glad he’s gone. Let the SS Badger sink.

🙄

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: April 18, 2024, 02:12:31 PM »
Buckyville melting down. Saying they’ve lost interest in college basketball. Let the apathy set in.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1254 on: April 18, 2024, 02:15:12 PM »
Buckyville melting down. Saying they’ve lost interest in college basketball. Let the apathy set in.
To be fair, they are used to having a stable roster, predictable turnover, and being able to mock MU on the transfer front.  Their world is rocked and they are not comfortable learning about karma.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 02:17:16 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1255 on: April 18, 2024, 02:16:04 PM »
Hepburn will help a good team. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1256 on: April 18, 2024, 02:19:32 PM »

There will be a share of that.  I don’t necessarily blame fans if they lose interest in a sport where your roster is turning over whole seemingly each year.

Their angst should be directed at the AD (current and former) and presidents (current and former) who missed the flashing red lights of change

Nutty

• Walk-On
« Reply #1257 on: April 18, 2024, 02:27:17 PM »
I have lurked on Buckyville before.  Just read it.  I don't see it as "melting down" over the loss of a single player.  And, my experience with Eric the Red is that he is reasonably well informed.  I believe he has a background in journalism, so he probably has sources/connections and knows how to use them. 

I see the reaction on buckyville as a frustration and natural reaction to a really crappy system at the moment.  This has all devolved into day-to-day, week-to-week, year-to-year roster chaos everywhere.  It is very much a turnoff to many fans.  Part of the fun of college sports was watching a team grow together, players developing over 3-5 years.  Now it is all hired guns.  Not as interested in that.

I am all for players making money.  They should have been all along.  But, I don't know if this is a sustainable enterprise as currently constructed.  Yes, the sport will lose fans.  Fans who were once avid followers may become more casual.  Casual fans will become disinterested.  If it's all going to be pro sports with roster chaos, why don't I just focus on the best pro sports and watch the NBA? 

I am a fan transitioning from avid to casual.  I mean, I am posting on a damn message board.  And, I am quickly losing interest.  Guessing there are many, many more like me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1258 on: April 18, 2024, 02:30:12 PM »
We can always use more real Marquette fans, Nutty. Welcome to the superior program, and superior fan board.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1259 on: April 18, 2024, 02:32:24 PM »
Hepburn will help a good team.

Strange, I think he hurt UW as much as he helped them last year.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1260 on: April 18, 2024, 02:36:25 PM »
I have lurked on Buckyville before.  Just read it.  I don't see it as "melting down" over the loss of a single player.  And, my experience with Eric the Red is that he is reasonably well informed.  I believe he has a background in journalism, so he probably has sources/connections and knows how to use them. 

I see the reaction on buckyville as a frustration and natural reaction to a really crappy system at the moment.  This has all devolved into day-to-day, week-to-week, year-to-year roster chaos everywhere.  It is very much a turnoff to many fans.  Part of the fun of college sports was watching a team grow together, players developing over 3-5 years.  Now it is all hired guns.  Not as interested in that.

I am all for players making money.  They should have been all along.  But, I don't know if this is a sustainable enterprise as currently constructed.  Yes, the sport will lose fans.  Fans who were once avid followers may become more casual.  Casual fans will become disinterested.  If it's all going to be pro sports with roster chaos, why don't I just focus on the best pro sports and watch the NBA? 

I am a fan transitioning from avid to casual.  I mean, I am posting on a damn message board.  And, I am quickly losing interest.  Guessing there are many, many more like me.

Here's the thing though.  If UW goes out and gets a couple of really good guys in the portal I'm sure interest will perk back up.  What has to happen is that UW needs to play the game.  If they don't, they'll be left behind... and not only in basketball.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1261 on: April 18, 2024, 02:38:40 PM »
To be fair, they are used to having a stable roster, predictable turnover, and being able to mock MU on the transfer front.  Their world is rocked and they are not comfortable learning about karma.
it’s a beautiful thing

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1262 on: April 18, 2024, 02:38:45 PM »

We will see. All sorts of things were predicted to turn off fans. That has generally not happened.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1263 on: April 18, 2024, 02:42:49 PM »
Here's the thing though.  If UW goes out and gets a couple of really good guys in the portal I'm sure interest will perk back up.  What has to happen is that UW needs to play the game.  If they don't, they'll be left behind... and not only in basketball.

They’re spending plenty on football transfers and let’s not act like AJ Storr came to Madison because of the academics.  He got a bag to play there

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1264 on: April 18, 2024, 03:08:55 PM »
My BADger co-workers are saying that UW-Madison doesn't have the money, that's why they're losing all these guys.  LOL.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1265 on: April 18, 2024, 03:10:36 PM »
Freitag is very good. Not your typical uw-Madison type player

Have you watched their other commit? Robison?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1266 on: April 18, 2024, 03:14:03 PM »
My BADger co-workers are saying that UW-Madison doesn't have the money, that's why they're losing all these guys.  LOL.

Well, that’s because most of their alumni seem to work in radio

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1267 on: April 18, 2024, 03:15:56 PM »

I agree with your take. The Badger system isn’t an all that exciting brand of ball, although they did avg more pts per than in recent seasons. Players want more of a shoot to get hot shoot to stay hot system. And, the hired gun pay me environment we are in currently is hurting as many programs as it helps, imo.  (Id say we are fortunate to have the continuity we’ve had at MU). As far as fan interest, I sense a slide. I’m not going to rehash my take of a few months back on NIL and how that might influence fan interest, but my personal fandom is less impassioned than in years past. Don’t get me wrong, pulling for a F4, beat RED and all that, but maybe not so edge of seat these days. btw, and on a side note, I heard where the WIAA (WI Interscholastic Athletic Assoc.) has had discussion around a form of NIL at the HS level. The WIAA executive director is Stephanie Hauser…Sam/Joey’s mom.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1268 on: April 18, 2024, 03:21:11 PM »
I've read a lot of suggestions that Hepburn would likely head home and play for Creighton.

Maybe . But I just don't think Chuck has enough "game" to play for McDermott in the Big East. Creighton usually has talented guards and I just don't see it here. Sure, he has his moments, but watching him closely at UW during his time there, leaves me underwhelmed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1269 on: April 18, 2024, 03:24:14 PM »
I've read a lot of suggestions that Hepburn would likely head home and play for Creighton.

Maybe . But I just don't think Chuck has enough "game" to play for McDermott in the Big East. Creighton usually has talented guards and I just don't see it here. Sure, he has his moments, but watching him closely at UW during his time there, leaves me underwhelmed.

I'd take him over Steven Ashworth.  And certainly over guys like Francisco Farabello.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #1270 on: April 18, 2024, 03:25:46 PM »
I agree with your take. The Badger system isn’t an all that exciting brand of ball, although they did avg more pts per than in recent seasons. Players want more of a shoot to get hot shoot to stay hot system. And, the hired gun pay me environment we are in currently is hurting as many programs as it helps, imo.  (Id say we are fortunate to have the continuity we’ve had at MU). As far as fan interest, I sense a slide.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ratings/ncaa-tournament-thursday-viewership.html

"The early numbers for 2024 NCAA Tournament viewership are in, and they’re very good. Earlier Friday, we covered how Tuesday and Wednesday’s First Four saw double-digit increases over 2023. And later Friday, TNT Sports and CBS Sports announced how Thursday’s opening round games posted the highest average audience since 2015."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1271 on: April 18, 2024, 03:27:03 PM »

Also, the portal isn’t closed.  Entirely possible they have someone(s) who may leave.

It’s never closed.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1272 on: April 18, 2024, 03:28:24 PM »
https://awfulannouncing.com/ratings/ncaa-tournament-thursday-viewership.html

"The early numbers for 2024 NCAA Tournament viewership are in, and they’re very good. Earlier Friday, we covered how Tuesday and Wednesday’s First Four saw double-digit increases over 2023. And later Friday, TNT Sports and CBS Sports announced how Thursday’s opening round games posted the highest average audience since 2015."

Gambling is a major reason. 

• All American
« Reply #1273 on: April 18, 2024, 03:29:39 PM »
Gambling is a major reason. 

Yes. Gambling was just invented last year.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1274 on: April 18, 2024, 03:36:24 PM »
Shaka used the portal plenty.  He has one spot available this off-season.  It appears the focus is on the kid from Germany.

He used the portal to bring in TyKo, OMax, Kur, Morsell and Wrightsail.

A rare RICO whoosh over the head…