[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 126272 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #350 on: March 27, 2024, 05:39:33 AM »
Have not, but as this Tyler injury shows there’s no sense to speculate over injuries.

SJ22 will be back in 2025. Will he be back in 2024 to start the season? I’d guess no, but sometimes that injury has shown in certain elite athletes, of which he is one, that it heals quicker.

Worst case scenario he’s ready as an elite option for the heart of the BE season, assuming recovery is normal

I had my meniscus root repair surgery in 2021.  I was on crutches and in a knee brace for 6 weeks and not allowed to bend it at all.  I was on crutches for another 6 weeks after the brace came off.
I was only cleared to run 6 months after surgery but with severe limitations.  10 minutes in length only a few times a week.  It was a purposeful slow ramp up for the next 3-4 months.
Not surprised he's still on crutches if it's that severe an injury.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2024, 06:45:15 AM »
I had my meniscus root repair surgery in 2021.  I was on crutches and in a knee brace for 6 weeks and not allowed to bend it at all.  I was on crutches for another 6 weeks after the brace came off.
I was only cleared to run 6 months after surgery but with severe limitations.  10 minutes in length only a few times a week.  It was a purposeful slow ramp up for the next 3-4 months.
Not surprised he's still on crutches if it's that severe an injury.

I’m surprised. Brace was still locked in extension (completely straight) as well. Probably meniscus or MCL repair too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2024, 07:14:37 AM »
This is the last I’ll post of this until after Marquettes trip to the final 4 because none of it is the focus right now-

A guy that works with Kam and Tyler has been working hard to secure NIL commitments from both in the last month.

This isn’t insider info either- Tyler just released a new clothing NIL commercial within the last few weeks.

Maybe I’m projecting my hopes, but it would seem odd to me that someone that’s a few months from a career in the NBA is looking into and securing new NIL deals.
It’s a new landscape, and every dollar counts, but that’s just my two cents on it.

To me, that's actually a sign he's already thinking about the more lucrative endorsements he can land once he's an NBA player. Ben Steele just had an article on exactly the NIL deals you're talking about, and it included discussion of bigger-money deals that will be available to TK at the next level. He's learning how to market himself for bigger paydays - a darn good use of one's time in college.

So yes, you are projecting your hopes, as you and others did with previous Marquette players who didn't stick around, and that's OK. You're allowed, and I'd love you to be right about TK. Just don't be too disappointed when you're not.

Forgot to say, my other reason for Kam returning imo is Oso and especially TK being gone means he becames the clear cut NIL focus a lot he can make in deals. And we already do really well from a team inventory sales stand point, win a couple more this week and that should keep boosting.

Reasonable point.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2024, 07:30:20 AM »
Surprised the Portal opens so early as it is not fair for the 16 teams still in the tourney.

Gonzaga still managed to get a good player while still competing in the sweet 16... so its fine.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #354 on: March 27, 2024, 07:35:45 AM »
Yea I’m sure he’s braced for the 2 leaving, but I’m not so sure he expects Kam to leave.

I love this concept that there are numerous threads on MUScoop speculating about whether Kam returns, but it hasn’t occurred to Shaka have a frank discussion with his star guard about what his future options and plans are.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #355 on: March 27, 2024, 08:26:48 AM »
This is the last I’ll post of this until after Marquettes trip to the final 4 because none of it is the focus right now-

A guy that works with Kam and Tyler has been working hard to secure NIL commitments from both in the last month.

This isn’t insider info either- Tyler just released a new clothing NIL commercial within the last few weeks.

Maybe I’m projecting my hopes, but it would seem odd to me that someone that’s a few months from a career in the NBA is looking into and securing new NIL deals.
It’s a new landscape, and every dollar counts, but that’s just my two cents on it.

Why wouldn't someone secure NIL deals while they can, even if they plan on declaring for the draft?  TK is not a definite 1st rounder so it makes sense to secure any deals he can while it's still possible.  I'd be absolutely shocked if TK comes back. 

As for Kam, a much more logical argument can be made for his return.  He's just not the explosive athlete that the NBA loves in spite of how good of a scorer he is.  He might be better served coming back as the clear #1 option and cleaning up on the NIL front.  Perhaps he takes on more of a lead guard role at times as well. 

I'm confident Kam will declare for the draft but retain his eligibility in order to go through the process and get feedback.  There's no reason for him not to do that. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #356 on: March 27, 2024, 09:16:45 AM »
Why wouldn't someone secure NIL deals while they can, even if they plan on declaring for the draft?  TK is not a definite 1st rounder so it makes sense to secure any deals he can while it's still possible.  I'd be absolutely shocked if TK comes back. 

As for Kam, a much more logical argument can be made for his return.  He's just not the explosive athlete that the NBA loves in spite of how good of a scorer he is.  He might be better served coming back as the clear #1 option and cleaning up on the NIL front.  Perhaps he takes on more of a lead guard role at times as well. 

I'm confident Kam will declare for the draft but retain his eligibility in order to go through the process and get feedback.  There's no reason for him not to do that.

Agree with most of this, yet don't think his lack of explosiveness will keep him out of the NBA.  Why?  Kam showed great potential running the PG position while Tyler was out - so he could likely play as a 1 in addition to a 2.  Kam is a scoring "savant" as Shaka has said.  There are plenty of guys on NBA rosters who aren't explosive athletes, but have elite shooting skill - Sam Hauser, AJ Green, etc.  I feel Kam has that level of elite shooting ability to continue to evolve toward, but he is also so much more creative and capable than the 2 players mentioned above.

Not saying Kam would ever be Dame Lillard good, but Dame isn't an explosive athlete either - but a very gifted scorer.

Which with all of the above said, is why your point is accurate that there's no harm to test the NBA draft process.  Just takes one team to want you/see you as a first round pick.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #357 on: March 27, 2024, 09:40:27 AM »
Not saying Kam would ever be Dame Lillard good, but Dame isn't an explosive athlete either - but a very gifted scorer.

Dame's not an explosive athlete?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #358 on: March 27, 2024, 09:52:27 AM »
Dame's not an explosive athlete?

Not at this stage of his career, and he still scores at will.  But, that aside, did not recall he had that GIF level of athleticism as a younger player.   8-)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #359 on: March 27, 2024, 10:47:37 AM »
Not at this stage of his career, and he still scores at will.  But, that aside, did not recall he had that GIF level of athleticism as a younger player.   8-)

His first step is extremely quick and explosive.  He's still dunking on people as a *6'2" guard (no way he is 6'2").  I mean, this is this year, on one of the best rim protectors in basketball, with the off hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgfyRdkOH3I
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #360 on: March 27, 2024, 10:48:21 AM »
Agree with most of this, yet don't think his lack of explosiveness will keep him out of the NBA.  Why?  Kam showed great potential running the PG position while Tyler was out - so he could likely play as a 1 in addition to a 2.  Kam is a scoring "savant" as Shaka has said.  There are plenty of guys on NBA rosters who aren't explosive athletes, but have elite shooting skill - Sam Hauser, AJ Green, etc.  I feel Kam has that level of elite shooting ability to continue to evolve toward, but he is also so much more creative and capable than the 2 players mentioned above.

Which with all of the above said, is why your point is accurate that there's no harm to test the NBA draft process.  Just takes one team to want you/see you as a first round pick.

To be clear, I wasn't saying his lack of elite athleticism would keep him out of the NBA.  I was saying it may make it less likely that he'd be a 1st rounder this summer and more likely he's back for his senior season. 

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #361 on: March 27, 2024, 11:17:56 AM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/this-is-how-marquette-all-american-tyler-kolek-lands-nil-deals-even-during-march-madness/ar-BB1kCstz?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=80caa22977264cf1a2e77eaa427d9cae&ei=13

Bahama

• Walk-On
« Reply #362 on: March 27, 2024, 11:27:35 AM »
Colorado's Eddie Lamkin entering the transfer portal, per Jon Rothstein. Looks like the Buffs are in full rebuild mode, KJ likely entering the draft?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #363 on: March 27, 2024, 11:35:04 AM »
Colorado's Eddie Lamkin entering the transfer portal, per Jon Rothstein. Looks like the Buffs are in full rebuild mode, KJ likely entering the draft?

Hadley (11.6 ppg) also in the portal. We really broke that team.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #364 on: March 27, 2024, 11:52:51 AM »
DJ Davis for Butler in the portal. Only SJU from BE has reached out so far
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

nyg

• All American
« Reply #365 on: March 27, 2024, 01:12:59 PM »
Didn't know where to post this, but what the heck.

AJ Storr to NBA draft, will keep college eligibility open. 

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #366 on: March 27, 2024, 02:01:28 PM »
I am much more concerned about this coming weekend than the portal.  But looking at next year's roster and the potential departure of far and away our best three players, I would think the portal is very much in play this offseason unless Shaka is fine with a very significant step back.

Could be wrong, but aren't you the guy that's predicted we were going to take a step back basically every single year under Shaka so far? Maybe we should all have a little bit more faith in our coaching staff at this point.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #367 on: March 27, 2024, 02:17:58 PM »
Xavier with an addition from Furman.  Don't know anything about him but he put up some nice numbers this season.

https://x.com/TiptonEdits/status/1773058481811014020?s=20

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #368 on: March 27, 2024, 02:29:32 PM »
Could be wrong, but aren't you the guy that's predicted we were going to take a step back basically every single year under Shaka so far? Maybe we should all have a little bit more faith in our coaching staff at this point.

and 30 others posters...

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #369 on: March 27, 2024, 04:16:20 PM »
Xavier with an addition from Furman.  Don't know anything about him but he put up some nice numbers this season.

https://x.com/TiptonEdits/status/1773058481811014020?s=20

At the same time, seeing Reid Ducharme (0.4 ppg in five games) and Logan Duncomb (Did not play this year due to unspecified injury) depart.

And Butler losing Conor Turnbull, who only played the first 9 games this season before an elbow injury sidelined him.

And MU-related: Ross Candelino leaving Wisconsin.  Anthony's son.

mumi27

• Starter
« Reply #370 on: March 28, 2024, 09:40:14 AM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #371 on: March 28, 2024, 09:43:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1773357986607399030

Gus Yalden in the portal

lol

Add him to the list of guys that were big gets that lost their love of basketball
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #372 on: March 28, 2024, 09:53:18 AM »

Nah.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #373 on: March 28, 2024, 09:58:41 AM »
Add him to the list of guys that were big gets that lost their love of basketball

Does anyone know what exactly happened with Yalden? It has to run deeper than citations for underage drinking and marijuana possession. From watching videos of Lowery at La Lumiere, it was clear that Yalden was talented.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #374 on: March 28, 2024, 10:03:27 AM »
Does anyone know what exactly happened with Yalden? It has to run deeper than citations for underage drinking and marijuana possession. From watching videos of Lowery at La Lumiere, it was clear that Yalden was talented.

Family issues according to ShopKo Badgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback