Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Williams since leaving Marquette  (Read 4785 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Buzz Williams since leaving Marquette
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2024, 12:45:08 PM »
no they werent Seth Greenberg won 20 games multiple times. they were terrible but miles ahead of depaul

They were coming off a 2-16 conference season preceded by a 4-14 conference season under James Johnson when Buzz took over. Greenberg's last season was a 4-12 conference season. 19% conference winning percentage in the 3 year lead up to Buzz's tenure.

They had 1 tournament appearance and won one tournament game in the 18 years prior to Buzz.

No one is as embarrassing to their conference as DePaul obviously, but VA Tech was pretty damn close when Buzz went there.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2024, 12:50:34 PM »
They were coming off a 2-16 conference season preceded by a 4-14 conference season under James Johnson when Buzz took over. Greenberg's last season was a 4-12 conference season. 19% conference winning percentage in the 3 year lead up to Buzz's tenure.

They had 1 tournament appearance and won one tournament game in the 18 years prior to Buzz.

No one is as embarrassing to their conference as DePaul obviously, but VA Tech was pretty damn close when Buzz went there.

You're taking a three-year run of futility by VaTech and saying it's pretty much the same as two decades of futility at DePaul?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2024, 01:00:22 PM »
The thread question should be "Who's flushing now?"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2024, 01:18:33 PM »
Except for Rick Majerus.

Tex Winter
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2024, 01:49:13 PM »
You're taking a three-year run of futility by VaTech and saying it's pretty much the same as two decades of futility at DePaul?

Three years in a row in the conference basement on the ass end of 1 tournament appearance in 18 years prior. Who else was the DePaul of the ACC at that point in time? Are you saying VT was in a good spot when he got there?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2024, 01:49:41 PM »
I could certainly see Buzz leaving, though I'm not sure where he would go. He's not getting Texas right now, maybe Baylor if it were to open up (Scott Drew to IU?) or TCU, but I can't see Dixon leaving. He grew up just outside Dallas/Fort Worth, so maybe getting closer to there (he's about 3 hours away in College Station).

I don't know what his motivation is to leave right now. While I do think he has some restless soul to him, I'm not sure there's a job out there that calls to him closer in terms of quality he could get or proximity to home (which is what always seemed to be his goal).

In addition, he is paid $4.2 million a year. I don't see where he would be able to come close to that right now. Unless he has a big run in the tournament this year.

But also Bjork was not the athletic director who hired Buzz.  Scott Woodward, who is now at LSU, was the one who hired him. (He left just weeks after hiring him though.)

In the end, I just don't know where he goes to get a better deal even if he doesn't care about leaving Texas.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2024, 01:57:02 PM »

In addition, he is paid $4.2 million a year. I don't see where he would be able to come close to that right now. Unless he has a big run in the tournament this year.

But also Bjork was not the athletic director who hired Buzz.  Scott Woodward, who is now at LSU, was the one who hired him. (He left just weeks after hiring him though.)

In the end, I just don't know where he goes to get a better deal even if he doesn't care about leaving Texas.

Whenever the Buzz Bunch posts kick-up, we'll know he is on the move.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2024, 02:22:45 PM »
Whenever the Buzz Bunch posts kick-up, we'll know he is on the move.

🤣

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2024, 02:24:29 PM »
Who else was the DePaul of the ACC at that point in time?

There wasn't one. Why are you insisting that there needs to be a "DePaul of the ACC"?

Are you saying VT was in a good spot when he got there?

No, I'm saying they weren't at all comparable to DePaul.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2024, 02:26:14 PM »

But also Bjork was not the athletic director…

Chalk it up to HUMAN BEHAVIOR.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2024, 02:29:06 PM »
There wasn't one. Why are you insisting that there needs to be a "DePaul of the ACC"?

Dawg, u seem to be hung up here on minor semantics. It's a way of saying they were the worst team in their conference for several years running. Down bad. I realize DePaul is in a league of their own when it comes to patheticism.

No, I'm saying they weren't at all comparable to DePaul.

Yeah good point. Their one tournament appearance in the 18 years prior to Buzz taking over was actually 1 less than DePaul's *two* over the same time frame lol

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2024, 02:44:46 PM »
Va Tech had a couple bad years prior to Buzz arriving. Two under Johnson, and I suppose one under Greenberg (though they were still top-100 and a 16-17 overall record isn't terrible). But here's the 8 years before Buzz got there:

• 4/8 - Winning ACC Record
  • 5/8 - Winning overall record
  • 6/8 - Top-100 per kenpom
If anyone was the DePaul of the ACC, it was probably Boston College or maybe Georgia Tech. But yeah...there really wasn't a DePaul of the ACC. Silly hill to die on. Especially because you're making it now, when DePaul is 20 years removed from their last tourney appearance.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2024, 02:48:44 PM »
I was thinking about Buzz the other day while watching them beat Kentucky. I had to do some research into his stats since leaving Marquette in 2014 but in 10 seasons that he left to go to Virginia Tech and then Texas A&M he only has 3 NCAA tournament appearances and 0 NCAA tournament wins. My question is after being to the sweet 16 three straight years including in Elite 8 in his final 3 seasons at Marquette, why did his success not translate. Yes, his final year they were bad but he was checked out at this point. I remember the junk yard dog mentality where no one in the country would out hustle them. Its very odd to have a coach with that success especially in the old big east not translate to at minimum a second round tournament game.
Only reason I can think of is that Scoopers pushed Buzz to excel at Marquette. 
Buzz realized failure was not an option with Scoopers.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2024, 05:00:17 PM »
I was thinking about Buzz the other day while watching them beat Kentucky. I had to do some research into his stats since leaving Marquette in 2014 but in 10 seasons that he left to go to Virginia Tech and then Texas A&M he only has 3 NCAA tournament appearances and 0 NCAA tournament wins. My question is after being to the sweet 16 three straight years including in Elite 8 in his final 3 seasons at Marquette, why did his success not translate. Yes, his final year they were bad but he was checked out at this point. I remember the junk yard dog mentality where no one in the country would out hustle them. Its very odd to have a coach with that success especially in the old big east not translate to at minimum a second round tournament game.
He finished 17-15 with several close losses. I wonder how many games Shaka would win with a backcourt of Derrick Wilson and Thomas?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2024, 05:00:41 PM »
Only reason I can think of is that Scoopers pushed Buzz to excel at Marquette. 
Buzz realized failure was not an option with Scoopers.
At MUScoop we "WIN Everyday!:o

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2024, 05:06:59 PM »
He finished 17-15 with several close losses. I wonder how many games Shaka would win with a backcourt of Derrick Wilson and Thomas?

If only Buzz had any influence over his backcourt options.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2024, 06:09:41 PM »
Except for Rick Majerus.
Very true.  I loved Rick as a coach and announcer...but he started at MU the year I was bornm...and I'm 40.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2024, 06:39:40 PM »
If only Buzz had any influence over his backcourt options.

Yep, that's always been a dopey defense of Buzz.

His next stop is obvious, though:

Marquette, after Shaka's contract gets bought out. I can just hear Buzz now ...

"I'm thrilled to be back in the Big East. I just knew it was gonna thrive after all the changes."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2024, 09:01:46 PM »
Apparently Buzz’s current team shoots it even worse than we do from 3…….

https://twitter.com/jbrbracketology/status/1747452220805722350?s=61&t=6XPB8f4sAKmJIzxgMcsCjw

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2024, 10:51:57 PM »
Apparently Buzz’s current team shoots it even worse than we do from 3…….

https://twitter.com/jbrbracketology/status/1747452220805722350?s=61&t=6XPB8f4sAKmJIzxgMcsCjw
Eh, they hit a 3 pointer to take the lead over winless in conference Arkansas with 7 second left….to lose it at the buzzer to drop to 1-3 in the SEC.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2024, 06:40:32 AM »
I could certainly see Buzz leaving, though I'm not sure where he would go. He's not getting Texas right now, maybe Baylor if it were to open up (Scott Drew to IU?) or TCU, or kentucky? but I can't see Dixon leaving. He grew up just outside Dallas/Fort Worth, so maybe getting closer to there (he's about 3 hours away in College Station).

I don't know what his motivation is to leave right now. While I do think he has some restless soul to him, I'm not sure there's a job out there that calls to him closer in terms of quality he could get or proximity to home (which is what always seemed to be his goal).

Wilson W. Wilson Jr. (@WilsonWWilsonJr) / X
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2024, 06:49:15 AM »
Why on earth would Kentucky hire Buzz? This isn't 2014. Four NCAA appearances and two NCAA wins in the past decade isn't enough to get him that job. They would aim higher than that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2024, 07:22:32 AM »
Why on earth would Kentucky hire Buzz? This isn't 2014. Four NCAA appearances and two NCAA wins in the past decade isn't enough to get him that job. They would aim higher than that.

Eric Musselman would likely be their first call. Although I wonder how attractive Dan Hurley would be depending how the near future plays out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2024, 08:43:18 AM »
Eric Musselman would likely be their first call. Although I wonder how attractive Dan Hurley would be depending how the near future plays out.
Dont see Hurley leaving the northeast.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2024, 08:48:47 AM »
Admins at his schools must be effin everything up like they did to him at MU
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.