[September 20, 2024, 07:45:48 PM]

Big East 2024 -25 Results by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 06:05:27 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by MU82
[September 20, 2024, 12:31:28 PM]

Excellent Mr Dodds Interview with Ben Gold by Herman Cain
[September 20, 2024, 08:52:59 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: First Jobs  (Read 6301 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: First Jobs
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2024, 08:32:33 AM »
State of New Jersey on line 1

Oh I know.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2024, 01:15:51 PM »
There is still a location on Greenfield Ave. in West Allis, actually having their lasagna tonight.

Thanks, Billy, for re-igniting my Mama Mia's lust. When the Burleigh store closed I thought I would never again have a hunk of their signature garlic bread dripping with, make that swimming in, garlic butter. I would go to great lengths for MM garlic bread. You will hear from my cardiologist.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2024, 01:17:50 PM »
Golf Caddy at the local country club at 15 yrs old.  No Caddy Shack memories, no Lacy Underalls, no night putting with the 15 year old daughter of the dean, and no free bowl soup for buying that hat.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2024, 01:27:43 PM »
Golf Caddy at the local country club at 15 yrs old.  No Caddy Shack memories, no Lacy Underalls, no night putting with the 15 year old daughter of the dean, and no free bowl soup for buying that hat.

Lacey just died, so she is under us all.

https://ew.com/cindy-morgan-dead-caddyshack-tron-actress-8423252
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 01:45:46 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2024, 04:37:10 PM »
Thanks, Billy, for re-igniting my Mama Mia's lust. When the Burleigh store closed I thought I would never again have a hunk of their signature garlic bread dripping with, make that swimming in, garlic butter. I would go to great lengths for MM garlic bread. You will hear from my cardiologist.

I've been missing the Mama Mia's soaked garlic bread too, until last week when we had a pizza and garlic bread at Barbiere's on Bluemound.  The garlic bread there is awesome too, very much like the old Mama Mia's!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2024, 04:43:11 PM »
I've been missing the Mama Mia's soaked garlic bread too, until last week when we had a pizza and garlic bread at Barbiere's on Bluemound.  The garlic bread there is awesome too, very much like the old Mama Mia's!

I was going to say this, but it's been so long since I've had Mama Mia's so I wasn't as confident that I was remembering it correctly.

Barbiere's is awesome.  Definitely one of my favorite pizzas in Milwaukee, if not my favorite.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2024, 07:11:44 PM »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2024, 07:36:47 PM »
BrewCity

Have you ever had the butter lovers garlic bread at Barbiere’s? It is absolutely fantastic.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2024, 07:53:48 PM »
Yeah, that $800 would pay for a semester at MU, back in the day. Impossible, now, for students to make anywhere near tuition for the semester, at their summer job, hey?

Not to mention a degree that actually had value and purchasing power.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2024, 08:06:55 PM »
Pretty sure der ain't know Mama Mia's in The Quon, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2024, 08:29:27 AM »
Yeah, that $800 would pay for a semester at MU, back in the day. Impossible, now, for students to make anywhere near tuition for the semester, at their summer job, hey?

The good news is that in real terms, college tuition is about the same as it was a decade ago, and will likely continue to decrease.  Less students and a good economy is turning it into a buyer's market.  This chart just shows list price at public institutions, but I would guess about 90% of private schools are charging less net tuition in real terms than they were a decade ago.

Not to mention a degree that actually had value and purchasing power.

I mean...

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/research-summaries/education-earnings.html
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2024, 08:47:15 AM »
The good news is that in real terms, college tuition is about the same as it was a decade ago, and will likely continue to decrease.  Less students and a good economy is turning it into a buyer's market.  This chart just shows list price at public institutions, but I would guess about 90% of private schools are charging less net tuition in real terms than they were a decade ago.

I mean...

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/research-summaries/education-earnings.html

I remember my semester tuition in my senior year-'69-'70- as $850, but I could be off a bit. I remember $650 my freshman year because I got a discount with 2 brothers enrolled, but again I may be slightly off. Actually, there are probably quite a few scoopers who would agree that I am slightly off.  ;D

https://www.in2013dollars.com › us › inflation › 1970?amount=1

Using the above site as a guide (multiply 1 1970 dollar by $8.16), the $850 translates to slightly under $7,000 today.

I do not keep up with current tuition rates but would like to know how today's rates are justified (besides supply/demand). Since this is your area of expertise, I am interested in what you may offer as an explanation.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2024, 08:55:09 AM »
Pretty sure der ain't know Mama Mia's in The Quon, hey?

Nope, not any more, Doc

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2024, 09:23:39 AM »
I remember my semester tuition in my senior year-'69-'70- as $850, but I could be off a bit. I remember $650 my freshman year because I got a discount with 2 brothers enrolled, but again I may be slightly off. Actually, there are probably quite a few scoopers who would agree that I am slightly off.  ;D

https://www.in2013dollars.com › us › inflation › 1970?amount=1

Using the above site as a guide (multiply 1 1970 dollar by $8.16), the $850 translates to slightly under $7,000 today.

I do not keep up with current tuition rates but would like to know how today's rates are justified (besides supply/demand). Since this is your area of expertise, I am interested in what you may offer as an explanation.

I think the biggest reason is that the earnings gap between those with a degree and those without continued to grow since your time at Marquette, and that has allowed colleges and universities to charge more because the perceived benefits were greater.  This also allowed state governments to lessen their support for public higher education, turning what was once viewed as a public good into a private one.

A prolonged period of economic stability, where unemployment continues to be near historic lows, and places of employment change or eliminate degrees for some jobs, will push these rates down further.  Not to mention that 2 year tech programs have gotten much better at development transfer agreements with four year schools that used to be a bit of a barrier a couple decades ago.

The ability to borrow money to attend probably is a factor, but I am not sure the elimination of federal dollars to do this would have had much impact on tuition. The private market would still be there.

In the next decade, you will see more colleges close as they aren't going to be able to get people to pay enough to attend. These will likely be the more poorly resourced private colleges similar to a Cardinal Stritch, mostly in the northeast and midwest.

The schools that will probably chug along just fine are the elite privates, the public flagships and the two year technical colleges. Even schools that are considered in decent shape now (comprehensive publics like UW-La Crosse, or national private colleges like Marquette) are going to have to be really nimble and listen carefully to what the marketplace is saying because going from being in good shape to being in poor shape can happen really fast.  The really good news from Marquette's perspective is that it has strong programs in allied health, engineering, business and nursing where you are seemingly always going to need a college degree and students are still willing to pay.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 09:26:13 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2024, 10:34:17 AM »
I appreciate your detailed response. One more question/factor- religious based universities. I'm guessing that what was in my time a major "calling card"-Marquette's Jesuit/Catholic identity- is not a significant reason for many of MU's current and future students to be at MU.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2024, 10:42:27 AM »
It is still talked about.   The commercials.  The print media my high school junior receives features it prominently.  What percentage of modern high schoolers or their parents will MU's Jesuit foundation matter/appeal to?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2024, 10:57:27 AM »
I appreciate your detailed response. One more question/factor- religious based universities. I'm guessing that what was in my time a major "calling card"-Marquette's Jesuit/Catholic identity- is not a significant reason for many of MU's current and future students to be at MU.

I don't think religious affiliation matters nearly as much as it used to, but I think it still matters as tower points out.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2024, 11:13:27 AM »
Not that it's unusual, but this thread is off the rails in a direction I wouldn't have expected.

Paper boy.  Though if we're talking jobs that I didn't have to go door to door to collect my own income, carpet store grunt.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 11:17:24 AM by rocky_warrior »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2024, 11:15:56 AM »
I got a second job in HS — McDonald’s. I thought it was great. I mostly did drive through order / cash taking. Hung out with kids my age (from a diff HS), worked hard but had a lot of fun.

Fajitas were great. Unlimited pop. Almost all meal deals were $2.99. Bring that back.
The FBI screwed up in Butler, PA.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2024, 12:18:33 PM »
BrewCity

Have you ever had the butter lovers garlic bread at Barbiere’s? It is absolutely fantastic.

Goose, the garlic bread I had at Barbiere's last week was very buttery and was fantastic, but I don't think we ordered "butter lovers", we just asked for garlic bread.  Do they actually have more than the one type?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2024, 12:28:16 PM »
BrewCity

The butter lovers are them slicing the garlic bread into two thin slices, rather than the thicker style. Rick Majerus was the man behind the idea, and it only has been on the menu for a couple of years or so. To be honest, not even sure if on the menu, but butter lovers is the way to go.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2024, 12:37:53 PM »
Thanks Goose--now I've gotta go back to try it

Goose

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2024, 12:50:08 PM »
Brew83

Give me a review after your next stop at Barbiere's.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2024, 02:15:15 PM »
Will do.

I already LOVED the regular garlic bread I had there, so I don't know how much better the butterlovers version could be!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2024, 02:59:32 PM »
Will do.

I already LOVED the regular garlic bread I had there, so I don't know how much better the butterlovers version could be!

Agreed.  Will have to give that a try next time I'm back in Milwaukee.  We usually get some pizza from there once a trip.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter