[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What would be enough...?  (Read 2189 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: What would be enough...?
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2023, 09:41:31 AM »

I want to win the NC badly this year. Only was saying that last two years have been the most fun I had had enjoying MU basketball with my kids and I have loved every minute of it.

If they would win this year, a big part of the journey is complete and things change. My gut tells me that I would not be texting and chalk talking every, and I mean every, game with them. It has been a blast for me and an additional great bonding experience for our family.

I think the ladies in the family would welcome a NC and a little less MU basketball talk. We have been outed by the ladies that possibly it is an obsession for us. A NC would likely give them a fair argument in having us focus on more important things. Truth be told, me and the boys actually feel like we are part time f the process of winning a NC. That mindset does not happen often in life.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2023, 09:52:01 AM »
Hello. MU 91 here, writing for the BBC, Wall Street Journal, Barron's, ESPN, etc. For credentials, just Google John Scott Lewinski.

I'm working on a story that leads me to sample the Marquette fans' views on the following topic ...

WHAT WOULD BE ENOUGH for fans to walk away from teams they support? (NOTE: I'm not indicating Marquette has anything like this in its history or in the program now, This is all speculative.) Joe Paterno and Penn St. protected a serial sexual predator who assaulted multiple kids for years. They still sell out every game. Michigan State hid Nassar’s crimes against hundreds of women to protect the athletic program. Brian Kelly allowed a student to die in a weather accident. Notre Dame Football looked the other way. Georgia annually fails to graduate half of their Black student athletes. I still see fans wearing Spartan green, an ND monogram or the Red Packers G. I’m going to interview experts and fans about this cognitive dissonance and what it would take form them to give up their favorite team, if anything.

All I'm asking here is, if it was clear MU allowed, say, Penn St. or MSU-like events to occur, would you walk away? What would it to take to cancel season tix and burn your t-shirts? (There is no need to ID yourself by name to comment.)

Thank you.

Your question is what would be enough for fans to walk away from the teams they support?

The short answer is nothing for most, which I suspect would be the premise of your piece.

The closest answer to nothing is consistent losing over an extended period of time brings about apathy. But if winning returns…

Off field incidents, a strike or lock out, etc…combined with losing teams will again bring about apathy. But if winning returns…

“One of the most prominent Presidents in MU history,” according to the story. But his reputation is much stronger than some others among MU faithful. It’s wild, but if you are affable, do well financially, and don’t leave, you’re good. And then personal bias is a factor good or bad. etc..

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/education/2018/09/04/robert-wild-has-name-removed-marquette-residence-hall/1196283002/

…………..

If you want an additional anecdote for your story….like some former MU hooper friends of mine across the country, they’d like to see Marquette Men’s Basketball University become Marquette University. They’d like to see 75% WI/IL student body become more equal representation of half a dozen to a dozen other geographies. They’d also like to see other diversity more representative of society as well. The resulting apathy is a thing with some of them.

Fandom often begins at ages 8-12 of some favorite teams especially if they are successful. Then teams are added through life experience such as college or pro playing or family/friend ties, relocation etc….but often it’s winning and losing that decides apathy.

Good luck with the piece.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2023, 10:41:30 AM »
they’d like to see Marquette Men’s Basketball University become Marquette University. They’d like to see 75% WI/IL student body become more equal representation of half a dozen to a dozen other geographies. They’d also like to see other diversity more representative of society as well. The resulting apathy is a thing with some of them.

Could you explain what you mean by this?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2023, 10:47:21 AM »

I want to win the NC badly this year. Only was saying that last two years have been the most fun I had had enjoying MU basketball with my kids and I have loved every minute of it.

If they would win this year, a big part of the journey is complete and things change. My gut tells me that I would not be texting and chalk talking every, and I mean every, game with them. It has been a blast for me and an additional great bonding experience for our family.

I think the ladies in the family would welcome a NC and a little less MU basketball talk. We have been outed by the ladies that possibly it is an obsession for us. A NC would likely give them a fair argument in having us focus on more important things. Truth be told, me and the boys actually feel like we are part time f the process of winning a NC. That mindset does not happen often in life.

I understand what you're saying, Goose. I'm saying that for me, personally, winning a title would only make things that much more exciting going forward. My buddies and I would be even more likely to go to more games next season. My son and I would text just as often about MU hoops, if not moreso. And my two ladies - my wife and my daughter - are almost as big Marquette basketball fans as I am. I doubt winning a title would change that ... but again, I freakin' hope we get the chance to test these theories about how everyone will act and feel after winning it all!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2023, 10:52:21 AM »

I look at MU winning another NC like the Cubs winning the World Series. If I were a Cub fan winning the World Series would be the high point of my Cubs fandom. Long suffering fans always remember the pinnacle, imo. I lived it with Favre and the Packers. That said, I hope we win the fxxkin NC this year.

Off to Goolsby’s and the game with the family. Hope we see a dominating performance.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2023, 10:53:47 AM »
Pretty difficult to intimidate me 82. Ever look at your politicized posts? You've polluted the board, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2023, 11:10:30 AM »
Pretty difficult to intimidate me 82. Ever look at your politicized posts? You've polluted the board, hey?

Nobody's trying to "intimidate" you. There was absolutely nothing political about this thread ... until you attempted to politicize it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2023, 11:12:59 AM »

I look at MU winning another NC like the Cubs winning the World Series. If I were a Cub fan winning the World Series would be the high point of my Cubs fandom. Long suffering fans always remember the pinnacle, imo. I lived it with Favre and the Packers. That said, I hope we win the fxxkin NC this year.

Off to Goolsby’s and the game with the family. Hope we see a dominating performance.

Have fun! You're in charge of delivering victory!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2023, 11:20:58 AM »
True. That's why you and I never join the political discussions on what have become de facto political threads.

I see no reason to politicize this one, as Doc tried to do. Do you?

LOL Dead to rights.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2023, 11:56:44 AM »
Nobody's trying to "intimidate" you. There was absolutely nothing political about this thread ... until you attempted to politicize it.

Just ask Doc to meet on Marquette’s campus after 5 pm

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2023, 12:43:07 PM »
Could you explain what you mean by this?

Sure. But I think it’s pretty self explanatory.

In order of what is written in the paragraph. They’d like to see MU become a more well rounded Athletics School besides just Men’s hoops, even though they are Men’s hoopers.

They would like to see the student body be less 75% from either Illinois or Wisconsin, and more a balance and mix of other parts of the country. Northeast, Southeast, Mid-Atlantic, South, Plains/Mountain States, PNW, SW, west Coast.

They would like to see MU become a more racially diverse school.

Combining all of the above has contributed to the lessening of connection to the school and increased apathy.
…………..

Happy to elaborate on the other things as well.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2023, 06:36:49 PM »
Gang:

As someone who has followed Marquette because of my Dad since the mid-1960s and as someone who was on campus the night we cut down the nets in Atlanta, the enthusiasm doesn't stop.

I've followed them closely for longer than I care to admit. And, I'm confident we'll see another Natty in the years to come. I'm betting on it! I really think we will because we have the right coach and the right commitment.

When it happens, I'll be in Phoenix, Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta or where ever the game is played. You may have to wheel me in my chair to the arena, but I'll be there.

The desire never ends! WE ARE NOT CUB FANS!!!! We expect excellence!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 12:59:02 AM by dgies9156 »

feedback