[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2023-2024 Offseason  (Read 10459 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: MLB 2023-2024 Offseason
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2023, 07:57:06 PM »
I wonder with the brewer's overload of outfielders, and no announcement of a Bonafide 1st baseman, makes me think they may move Yelich to 1st??  just a thought.

Sounds like that isn’t in the plans according to reports.  Think it’s more likely they move Mitchell and Wiemer. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2023, 09:22:04 PM »
Because of Magic and Bird, the NBA learned that marketing its stars is everything. The NFL is also a star driven league.

MLB has never done that until maybe 2 years ago. And they are sill behind the times.

They used to. Now the regional networks have killed the national exposure.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2023, 09:23:30 PM »
If he was about winning the right way, he’d take less money and play for the Cardinals

You laugh, but now that the Cardinals just named Yadi Molina special assistant to president of baseball operations, you pretty much can guarantee that St. Louis is where Ohtani's going.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2023, 09:27:23 PM »
You laugh, but now that the Cardinals just named Yadi Molina special assistant to president of baseball operations, you pretty much can guarantee that St. Louis is where Ohtani's going.

Only if he gets to call the games Ohtani pitches

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2023, 09:57:32 PM »
Sounds like that isn’t in the plans according to reports.  Think it’s more likely they move Mitchell and Wiemer.

Wiemer is my guess.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2023, 10:18:04 PM »
Soto to the Yanks a done deal

E Rodriguez to the Diamondbacks

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2023, 11:42:02 AM »
Some smoke about the Blue Jays and Ohtani thanks to #FlightTracker

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2023, 03:52:43 PM »
LA beat writer saying he’ll sign tonight with Jays.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2023, 07:05:27 AM »

@jonmorosi
Today, I posted reporting that included inaccurate information that Shohei Ohtani was traveling to Toronto. I regret the mistake and apologize to baseball fans everywhere. I am deeply sorry for letting you down.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1733336968199631122

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2023, 07:29:29 AM »
@jonmorosi
Today, I posted reporting that included inaccurate information that Shohei Ohtani was traveling to Toronto. I regret the mistake and apologize to baseball fans everywhere. I am deeply sorry for letting you down.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1733336968199631122

The whole concept that he would fly to Toronto just never made sense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2023, 07:36:16 AM »
Ohtani to the Mariners for 12 years-$520 million

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2023, 07:50:56 AM »
Ohtani to the Mariners for 12 years-$520 million

Is this a game of Clue?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2023, 08:27:22 AM »

Makes complete sense to make Yelich a 1B/DH. He shouldn’t play OF anymore, especially with the young talent they have covering all the OF.  He has a terrible arm. 

I don’t think they’ll move two of Mitchell, Frelick, and Wiemer.  They drafted and developed them all. You might be giving up too much future production and high quality depth.  They’re all under club control awhile too.

Trade one, keep the other two and pair them with Chourio, with Taylor as 4th OF and depth if the two remaining have struggles. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2023, 08:43:22 AM »
Makes complete sense to make Yelich a 1B/DH. He shouldn’t play OF anymore, especially with the young talent they have covering all the OF.  He has a terrible arm. 

I don’t think they’ll move two of Mitchell, Frelick, and Wiemer.  They drafted and developed them all. You might be giving up too much future production and high quality depth.  They’re all under club control awhile too.

Trade one, keep the other two and pair them with Chourio, with Taylor as 4th OF and depth if the two remaining have struggles.

I’d move Wiemer because I think he’s Brett Phillips 2.0 but I’m not sure his real value.  That swing needs a lot of work

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2023, 09:15:59 AM »
I’d move Wiemer because I think he’s Brett Phillips 2.0 but I’m not sure his real value.  That swing needs a lot of work

Absolutely on his swing.  I was talking about him and we were saying how hard it was to believe as he was coming up through the minors, how their coaches and minor league instructors weren’t making him change that.  It’s obvious to any fan that’s a swing that will not succeed against MLB pitching.

He’s got a lot of tools you can see the high upside, so I don’t know.

I like Frelick a lot, but am concerned his ceiling is a singles hitter. Although, we need guys who can just get on base.

Tough call between the three of them.  Maybe whoever covets one of them the most where they’ll get the best return is who you deal.  But it’s nice to be dealing from position of depth. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2023, 09:27:57 AM »
Absolutely on his swing.  I was talking about him and we were saying how hard it was to believe as he was coming up through the minors, how their coaches and minor league instructors weren’t making him change that.  It’s obvious to any fan that’s a swing that will not succeed against MLB pitching.

He’s got a lot of tools you can see the high upside, so I don’t know.

I like Frelick a lot, but am concerned his ceiling is a singles hitter. Although, we need guys who can just get on base.

Tough call between the three of them.  Maybe whoever covets one of them the most where they’ll get the best return is who you deal.  But it’s nice to be dealing from position of depth.

Watching Frelick hit so far has been nice.  Patient hitter and trying to make contact.  I’ll take 100 of those over some of the swing and miss guys in the league right now.  If Chourio is the guy, Frelick as a complimentary piece getting on-base is fine.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2023, 09:32:46 AM »
Watching Frelick hit so far has been nice.  Patient hitter and trying to make contact.  I’ll take 100 of those over some of the swing and miss guys in the league right now.  If Chourio is the guy, Frelick as a complimentary piece getting on-base is fine.

Agree, although analytics would disagree
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 09:34:57 AM by HutchwasClutch »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2023, 09:40:42 AM »
Agree, although analytics would disagree

I’m of thinking it might be time for a team to take a contrarian look at analytics when it comes to the sport. 

I’m not saying you become a stolen base driven team and play station-to-station but I think there’s a place in the game to put pressure on the defense and pitcher.  Santana and Donaldson are old and unreliable but their professional at-bats and extending counts I think are valuable.  Too many 3-pitch outs in MLB lineups today.  You don’t want a lineup relying on those two but I’d like to see an organization start to stress extending at-bats and such through their system and see what happens

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2023, 09:44:06 AM »
I’m of thinking it might be time for a team to take a contrarian look at analytics when it comes to the sport. 

I’m not saying you become a stolen base driven team and play station-to-station but I think there’s a place in the game to put pressure on the defense and pitcher.  Santana and Donaldson are old and unreliable but their professional at-bats and extending counts I think are valuable.  Too many 3-pitch outs in MLB lineups today.  You don’t want a lineup relying on those two but I’d like to see an organization start to stress extending at-bats and such through their system and see what happens

I’m of thinking analytics are mostly crap across all sports. 

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2023, 09:47:45 AM »
I’m of thinking analytics are mostly crap across all sports. 

I think that's pretty ridiculous. Are they overused at times? Most definitely. "Mostly crap?" Not a chance.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2023, 10:03:43 AM »
I think that's pretty ridiculous. Are they overused at times? Most definitely. "Mostly crap?" Not a chance.

There’s a happy medium and spot to be counterintuitive in sports when it comes to analytics.

College basketball is a great example.  We can see flaws with our eyes and confirm with analytics.  We can also miss issues and the numbers make them clear.

Problem is, predictive models such as KenPom can be overused.  Game is still played and results can vary wildly cuz sports and then the mouth breathers say, “but KenPom said derp.”  It’s a tool.  You can still enjoy the games

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2023, 10:43:30 AM »

Part of why the “moneyball” was effective was that it identified value in places that were effective yet undervalued by the market. To the extent that teams so focused on launch angle/power hitting to the detriment of on base percentage and single hitting efficiency, then perhaps there’s an angle to exploit on the other side of the consensus.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2023, 10:47:40 AM »
Part of why the “moneyball” was effective was that it identified value in places that were effective yet undervalued by the market. To the extent that teams so focused on launch angle/power hitting to the detriment of on base percentage and single hitting efficiency, then perhaps there’s an angle to exploit on the other side of the consensus.

Not a fan of Tom Verducci for the most part but his book about Joe Torre’s time in New York was enlightening in this regard.  By the time the Yankees jumped on “Moneyballing” the team, everyone was doing it and the value was gone.  Cashman bragging about it in 2005 was pretty laughable

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2023, 02:16:15 PM »
I thought my numbers were crazy