[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek’s Shot  (Read 1930 times)

MUDAN05

• Walk-On
Kolek’s Shot
« on: November 07, 2023, 08:03:44 AM »
One thing I noticed last night was that Kolek’s shooting form seemed to have a quicker release and a more compact form.  I know he’s got close to 40% from 3 last year, so not a ton of room for improvement, but I thought his outside shot looked better than last year.  Curious if others noticed the same thing or if I’m wrong.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Kolek’s Shot
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 08:06:29 AM »
One thing I noticed last night was that Kolek’s shooting form seemed to have a quicker release and a more compact form.  I know he’s got close to 40% from 3 last year, so not a ton of room for improvement, but I thought his outside shot looked better than last year.  Curious if others noticed the same thing or if I’m wrong.

I see more arc and perhaps spin?  It's amazing how far he's come since his 1st year at MU. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 08:21:49 AM »
The higher arc and quicker release are very noticeable.  Should be able to maintain his shooting percentage, and perhaps increase it, on higher volume.

Kam's shot has a little less arc on it.  No more moonballs.  Should lead to more consistency.  Kam, Kolek, and Jop should gives us three lights out shooters.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 08:26:09 AM »
Definitely quicker, shorter motion and higher arc. He has the look of a 23y POY candidate.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 10:05:19 AM »
I noticed it right away.  Kolek's a sniper now.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 10:17:00 AM »
Kolek's stroke looked so smooth. At times last year it looked like he was still getting used to the changes to his shot from the year before, like a golfer thinking about swing changes. Last night it was just a free and easy release he didn't seem to have to think about at all. Great to see.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 10:41:43 AM »
The higher arc and quicker release are very noticeable.  Should be able to maintain his shooting percentage, and perhaps increase it, on higher volume.

Kam's shot has a little less arc on it.  No more moonballs.  Should lead to more consistency.  Kam, Kolek, and Jop should gives us three lights out shooters.

The one Kolek shot from the right wing on a catch-and-shoot was practically Curry-like in the quickness of its release, and it splashed right through. In addition to the 3 he made, he made another just after the whistle that was disallowed. He did take kind of a heat-check 3 from Rowseyville that I thought was a poor shot, but otherwise very nice - in rhythm, great form, quicker, just better.

Also noticed Kam's somewhat lower arc. Still sends 'em plenty high but no longer bringing rain. I also loved his forays to the hoop and getting to the line. He looks primed for a great season.

Jop was just barely off; any of those could have gone down and I didn't mind him taking them. I also thought Ross' shot looked excellent.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 10:54:09 AM »
The one Kolek shot from the right wing on a catch-and-shoot was practically Curry-like in the quickness of its release, and it splashed right through. In addition to the 3 he made, he made another just after the whistle that was disallowed. He did take kind of a heat-check 3 from Rowseyville that I thought was a poor shot, but otherwise very nice - in rhythm, great form, quicker, just better.

Also noticed Kam's somewhat lower arc. Still sends 'em plenty high but no longer bringing rain. I also loved his forays to the hoop and getting to the line. He looks primed for a great season.

Jop was just barely off; any of those could have gone down and I didn't mind him taking them. I also thought Ross' shot looked excellent.

I agree with Ross - when he gets his feet set and has a little bit of time, there will be plenty of 3s going down for him. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 11:03:10 AM »
Marquette has off the charts spurtability on the offensive end.   You can see it even vs a cupcake.  Tremendous ball movement with weapons all over the place.  When we take care of the rock, and are solid on the D glass, we're going to be really difficult to beat.

I will say that I'm not a huge fan of Oso initiating the offense from the top.  We all know he can dribble but his passing from the high and mid-post are more effective.  When the 3 ball isn't cooking where would you experts like to score the ball?  I'd like to attack and get the the FT line more.  I also think both Oso and Jop can be effective creating in the mid-post.   Kam is getting better at going vertical which is huge for us as well.  I also think Chase and Jones the Younger can be game changers if they play with consistency.  You cannot teach speed and both can be electric with the rock. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 11:27:06 AM »
Muggsy, threes and lay ups.   That is the offense.   So, if the three isn't falling, get into the lane and finish or create for others.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 11:32:47 AM »
Muggsy, threes and lay ups.   That is the offense.   So, if the three isn't falling, get into the lane and finish or create for others.

Year 3. A staff that has been extremely transparent about how they wish to play. Success playing said style.

And, yet!?!?!?!? Just unbelievable.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 12:26:45 PM »
We'll never be any good until we take at least 25 mid-range shots a game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 12:35:16 PM »
Year 3. A staff that has been extremely transparent about how they wish to play. Success playing said style.

We all saw last year what the offense does, how it creates opportunities at the rim, how it is efficient without gaudy 3 pt shooting, how Oso creates from the high and mid post through attacking off the dribble and passing.     All of his hypotheticals have been answered.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 01:36:24 PM »
We all saw last year what the offense does, how it creates opportunities at the rim, how it is efficient without gaudy 3 pt shooting, how Oso creates from the high and mid post through attacking off the dribble and passing.     All of his hypotheticals have been answered.

It just baffles me at this point that we have posters here that follow the team closely, yet can't comprehend what's going on, especially when the staff has gone out of their way to share their philosophy.

The best part.... The staff is likely not going to be talking about the offense during the game anyway. Given I have now witnessed 60+ games in the Shaka era, they are going to be talking about energy, active hands/deflections, 50/50 balls, communication, rebounding, etc.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2023, 01:37:14 PM »

I think you mean inexcusable.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2023, 01:40:39 PM »
Muggsy,  they have a 5 point plan.  It involves a lay up plus a 22 foot jump shot.   Or two lay ups and a free throw.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2023, 01:58:49 PM »

This is spot on...MU players all put in the work.  Shaka mentioned post-game that Gold has been shooting extremely well, too.  Ross couldn't hit a 3 to save his life in the scrimmage, but the sheer number he put up signaled a green light and confidence.  Was great to see them fall for him last night.

Kam looked like he could score at will last night. 

Shaka has clearly made a calculated decision to embrace all the high expectations.  They have a tough schedule ahead, but I sure like what I've seen thus far. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2023, 02:05:03 PM »
avid

Shaka and team embracing the high expectations is very high on my list of reasons to be excited about this year. It is very easy to downplay expectations and they have not hidden from them one bit. They have a look and swagger of a top five team, imo.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2023, 02:11:34 PM »

I’d like to see less dunking, too.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2023, 02:42:49 PM »
I’d like to see less dunking, too.

Huge respect for Stevie Mitchell last night, twice he could have dunked but made it a lay-up instead.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2023, 03:26:27 PM »
Huge respect for Stevie Mitchell last night, twice he could have dunked but made it a lay-up instead.

Al didn’t like showboaters and neither should Shaka
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.