[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 120281 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #926 on: March 16, 2024, 09:07:14 PM »
Goodman reports Jake Diebler getting the job at Ohio State.

Dusty May had a lot of talk here.  Wonder if he told them no

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #927 on: March 16, 2024, 09:09:49 PM »

Wonder if IU is going to open up.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #928 on: March 16, 2024, 09:09:58 PM »
He turned the team around.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #929 on: March 16, 2024, 09:12:26 PM »
Wonder if IU is going to open up.

I’d think May has to jump now.  Team is all graduating.  Probably taking the SLU gig

tower912

• All American
« Reply #930 on: March 16, 2024, 09:16:10 PM »
Michigan.   Though, the way Woodson ended his season, it almost looked like he knew he was done.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #931 on: March 16, 2024, 09:21:26 PM »
Michigan.   Though, the way Woodson ended his season, it almost looked like he knew he was done.

Michigan will be interesting.  Fanbase is not confident in the AD.  I think this is a spot for Medved

tower912

• All American
« Reply #932 on: March 16, 2024, 09:25:24 PM »
It is a good time to be a successful coach at a mid major.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #933 on: March 16, 2024, 10:11:19 PM »

Diebler earned the job - righted a sinking ship.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #934 on: March 16, 2024, 10:13:10 PM »

Maybe.  Don’t have a problem with him getting it.  Will be interesting to watch how it plays out. 

• All American
« Reply #935 on: March 16, 2024, 10:15:17 PM »
Yeah they improved no doubt. But in the end, the ship still sunk.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #936 on: March 16, 2024, 10:43:04 PM »
Don’t think that’ll end well. That’s a HUGE step up. Did a good job getting the team to play well. But a 8ish? Game sample size is not what I’d be hoping to hire my new coach off of if I’m OSU.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #937 on: March 16, 2024, 10:50:27 PM »
I’d think May has to jump now.  Team is all graduating.  Probably taking the SLU gig

Not sure if this is sarcastic, but A LOT of smoke around him and the Louisville job.

He’s getting mileage out of the Purdue win right after Holtmann got fired.  Otherwise he beat a bunch of bad B10 teams, only 1 of his other wins was against a team in the top half of the conference.  Also, they led much of the game against Illinois yesterday, up by 10 with 10 min left and choked it away.

My OSU fan/alumni friends aren’t too pleased.  All the talk of big salary money and NIL allocations and they get an assistant who wouldn’t be in the radar of most other P6 teams in this hiring cycle. Maybe they don’t get May or Cronin, but there are absolutely a bunch of accomplished mid major/P6 coaches who would be interested in that gig.  It’s just weird on the face this early in the cycle.  Even more bizarre cause his time as lead assistant were the worst years of Holtmann’s tenure

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #938 on: March 17, 2024, 08:22:51 AM »
Not sure if this is sarcastic, but A LOT of smoke around him and the Louisville job.

He’s getting mileage out of the Purdue win right after Holtmann got fired.  Otherwise he beat a bunch of bad B10 teams, only 1 of his other wins was against a team in the top half of the conference.  Also, they led much of the game against Illinois yesterday, up by 10 with 10 min left and choked it away.

My OSU fan/alumni friends aren’t too pleased.  All the talk of big salary money and NIL allocations and they get an assistant who wouldn’t be in the radar of most other P6 teams in this hiring cycle. Maybe they don’t get May or Cronin, but there are absolutely a bunch of accomplished mid major/P6 coaches who would be interested in that gig.  It’s just weird on the face this early in the cycle.  Even more bizarre cause his time as lead assistant were the worst years of Holtmann’s tenure

Considering they canned Holtmann early, I’ll stick by my hunch they reached out to a lot of the big names and were rebuffed.

Also, I was being sarcastic about May.  Suspect this means he is taking the Louisville job or possibly Michigan. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #939 on: March 17, 2024, 08:48:26 AM »
Considering they canned Holtmann early, I’ll stick by my hunch they reached out to a lot of the big names and were rebuffed.

Also, I was being sarcastic about May.  Suspect this means he is taking the Louisville job or possibly Michigan.

This is simply not the real you.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

• All American
« Reply #940 on: March 17, 2024, 08:50:05 AM »
The thing that would concern me about this hire isn't just that its an assistant coach without any head coaching experience getting the main gig, but that this is a pattern with Ross Bjork as athletic director. He doesn't seem to have a plan B when it comes to hiring coaches.

He was AD at Ole Miss when Hugh Freeze was forced to resign. After reaching out to some high profile candidates, he decided after a late run of wins, to remove the interim tag from Matt Luke - someone who had never before served as a head coach. Sound familiar?  Well, it turned out to be a disaster. One that Bjork didn't have to clean up because he left for A&M.

There he fired Jimbo Fischer. Again after some high profile candidates turned him down, his search settled on Mark Stoops, which was quickly ridiculed by Aggie boosters. The offer was withdrawn and they settled for Mike Elko. And honestly if they would have just hired Elko from the start, that may have been fine! A former A&M assistant who met with success at Duke as a head coach? Sounds good.

But instead it just looked like he doesn't really know what he is doing. This search can't give people a lot of confidence. Of course it could work out and that's great. But I would be surprised.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #941 on: March 17, 2024, 08:59:41 AM »

Wrong. Ax Rocket 'bout UL, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #942 on: March 17, 2024, 09:10:07 AM »
One other thing about Ohio State.  Can we think of an instance when a head coach was fired for poor performance, only to have a long term assistant hired to take the main job, and have it turn out successful?  I can think of a number of examples from successful programs - Mark Few, Steve Fischer, Tom Izzo. But this seems pretty unprecedented.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #943 on: March 17, 2024, 09:39:39 AM »

Wrong. Ax Rocket 'bout UL, hey?

Scott Drew?  Of course it’s his job if he wants it.  It’s also possible he’s using this as an opportunity to get Baylor donors more engaged in the NIL game

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #944 on: March 17, 2024, 09:48:30 AM »
One other thing about Ohio State.  Can we think of an instance when a head coach was fired for poor performance, only to have a long term assistant hired to take the main job, and have it turn out successful?  I can think of a number of examples from successful programs - Mark Few, Steve Fischer, Tom Izzo. But this seems pretty unprecedented.

None of those guys took over for a fired coach though.

Few took over when Monson left for Minnesota after an E8.

Fischer took over when Frieder left for ASU, also the season after a S16.  Bo didn’t let him finish out the season after the announcement but he wasn’t fired for poor performance.

And Izzo took over when Heathcote retired.  He’d lost his fastball a bit but still made 4 NCAAs in 5 years.

But that all makes it even more unlikely a scenario.

Yea I don’t disagree.  I think they probably went for May and Drew and maybe Cronin and got rebuffed.  Then Bjork panicked like Sultan highlighted.  Ridiculous when there are a lot of good candidates out there

• All American
« Reply #945 on: March 17, 2024, 09:53:59 AM »
None of those guys took over for a fired coach though.

Few took over when Monson left for Minnesota after an E8.

Fischer took over when Frieder left for ASU, also the season after a S16.  Bo didn’t let him finish out the season after the announcement but he wasn’t fired for poor performance.

And Izzo took over when Heathcote retired.  He’d lost his fastball a bit but still made 4 NCAAs in 5 years.

Right. That was my point.  I can't think of an instance where an assistant from an unsuccessful coach took over for that coach after he was fired.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #947 on: March 18, 2024, 06:51:47 AM »
Pat Kelsey probably going to be on some people's short list again.  I wonder what he will decide.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #948 on: March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM »
Pat Kelsey probably going to be on some people's short list again.  I wonder what he will decide.

I’m still torn on Kelsey.  If you look deeper into his last 2 years, it’s gaudy records from beating up on bad teams.

27-7 this year but didn’t beat anyone respectable in the non-con and then were 2-3 against the 2nd-4th best teams in a mediocre one bid conference.  The other 3 NCAA teams they played (FAU, Duquesne, Vermont)…they lost by an average of 15 points.

Last year, same thing. 31-4 but played nobody in the non-con.  Teams like CSU, Davidson, VT,  Richmond look like decent wins until you look and see they all were under .500 in conference, if not overall.  Hofstra won the CAA regular season title…and Charleston lost in their only match up at home no less.

At both Winthrop and Charleston, Kelsey walked into the best job in the conference (with mediocre competition all around d) with plenty of success from the previous coach and held the line.  I’d be very concerned about him as a program builder when you look at these bigger openings that need some heavy lifting to get them respectable again.  I full expect Bama to boatrace his team on Friday

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #949 on: March 19, 2024, 05:28:33 AM »

nope-possibly being offered to the other drew guy
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback