Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Italy Trip  (Read 19359 times)

Tyler COLEk

• All American
Re: Italy Trip
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2023, 09:37:41 PM »
Marquette's social media refusing to give us the basic coverage that Wojo got in his first full summer is what's tiresome. They are choosing to not keep up with league peers, the standard they set for themselves, and what they promised ahead of this trip. But please, tell me more about how good Marquette social media is  ::)

Is the MU Athletics marketing department really making the call here? I would assume Shaka and/or his administration have declined to make the event any more public than it is.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2023, 11:10:45 PM »
What Big East social media team is markedly outperforming MU?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2023, 11:14:56 PM »
What Big East social media team is markedly outperforming MU?

Looking at my first guess of Creighton, they are streaming each game, with recaps, stats and post game interviews.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2023, 04:44:03 AM »
Wait…isn’t that the Parthenon? I’m not the most worldly, so I could definitely be wrong.

Highlighting a UCF education?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2023, 06:25:40 AM »
Yep, which isn't located anywhere near Italy, especially the Milan to Rome they highlighted.

You're right. The pic is of the Acropolis in Athens. I climbed up there last November.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2023, 07:52:04 AM »
Yep, which isn't located anywhere near Italy, especially the Milan to Rome they highlighted.

That is funny, but clearly some social media person mistyped Parthenon vs Pantheon (or misspelled it and google corrected it...incorrectly).  Though hopefully they booked their tours of the correct location. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2023, 08:17:18 AM »
Strange thread. I understand interest and enthusiasm about the upcoming season. But International trips are more about new, off court experiences, meeting new people, seeing new places, trying new things, of different geographies and cultures. They can even leave the basketballs at home and it’d be fine. I’m sure they are making nice video memories for those on the trip, and to show prospective recruits.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2023, 08:19:27 AM »
Strange thread. I understand interest and enthusiasm about the upcoming season. But International trips are more about new, off court experiences, meeting new people, seeing new places, trying new things, of different geographies and cultures. They can even leave the basketballs at home and it’d be fine. I’m sure they are making nice video memories for those on the trip, and to show prospective recruits.

Yes.   Visiting new places.    Bonding.    Getting a few reps in.     Have fun.    Don't get hurt.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2023, 08:47:55 AM »
I no saw no hair nets while doing food prep in the cooking class. What in the h is going on??
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

panda

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2023, 09:15:06 AM »
I no saw no hair nets while doing food prep in the cooking class. What in the h is going on??

Marketing more interested in cooking up some pasta instead of some actual game footage. SMH

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2023, 09:26:30 AM »
Is the MU Athletics marketing department really making the call here? I would assume Shaka and/or his administration have declined to make the event any more public than it is.

And it's the wrong call, which should be overruled by that administration. This is 2023. If it was 20 years ago, sure, you make this call. But we have had streaming options for the past two foreign trips in 2015 and 2019. Creighton has streaming going on right now with more extensive highlights and updates. This process has only become easier over the past decade since we first started doing this.

Events like this are part of team-building, sure, but they are also opportunities for fundraising and recruiting. They are outreach opportunities. No, not all fans will watch. It will be the diehards. But you know how you create more diehards going forward? By providing more year-round content. The existence of this site shows there is a market for year-round Marquette coverage.

For those that don't want it or don't care, that's certainly their prerogative. If you don't care, go on with your day and ignore all of this. You can come back in November when the season starts, or January when we're in the middle of Big East play, or March if you only care about the tournament. But for the fans that go to the practices, that go to the Madness/Halloween/BBQ type events, that subscribe to media outlets and websites specifically for Marquette coverage, and would pay for this (or a BTD NIL membership package), this kind of stuff should be available.

Further, not only should it be available because you have done it in the past and have proof of concept right now with other Big East programs, but Marquette promised via press releases that they would be making highlights and box scores available. When you not only come up short in terms of what is possible, but then come up short in terms of delivering what you said you would, that is a failure.

If you don't care, so be it. Go on with your day and we'll see you in a few months. But I'm not going to not say something when Marquette comes up short in terms of what they could provide and lie about what they will provide.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2023, 09:45:43 AM »
I heard dodds is currently in possession of the box scores. He’s holding them for ransom for more subscribers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2023, 09:54:59 AM »
Winning provides more followers.  Losing provides less.

Noon weekday games in the middle of summer with a poorly produced stream is not bringing in any new fans.  Nobody is deciding to provide their personal money to making the basketball program better/more competitive/retaining current players based on whether they got to see the team play in a Pro-Am quality basketball game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2023, 10:40:46 AM »
The first thing that comes to mind when I think of MU Athletics and International trips, is being able to compete with Power 5 programs in Olympic sports. Some of those Power 5 schools have many of their Women and Men’s Olympic sports teams take International trips regularly, when possible.

When Marquette Soccer was recently recruiting against Vandy for a player, Vandy was in part selling their trip to South Africa and England this Summer, and their trip a few years ago to Japan. Or insert many different sports and school examples here.

I’m confident the MUBB Men’s basketball team will continue to fund and take International trips when possible for beneficial off court life experiences.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2023, 10:48:21 AM »
They’re obviously keeping stats — as evidenced by some of the individual numbers that have been released — so publishing boxscores isn’t a big ask.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2023, 11:03:09 AM »
Honestly, guessing we haven’t seen box score one because it was an absurdly lopsided result.

mhendrick

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2023, 11:31:41 AM »
CBS 58 sports gave an actual score from the game so someone is keeping track. I think Kevin Holden said it was 85 to 63?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2023, 12:17:26 PM »
Personally, I’d love to watch the games. Although, from a competitive standpoint, it’s probably best to limit the amount of game tape available for the early season opponents as much as possible.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2023, 12:27:36 PM »
Hey, we can watch Xavier tomorrow & Thursday, at least!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2023, 12:30:05 PM »
https://pallacanestropratodragons.com/2023/08/03/basket-spettacolo-a-stelle-e-strisce-alla-tana-dei-dragons-arrivano-le-stelle-della-ncaa/

They're really overselling Maryland's "prestigious history" but I like that they describe us as a place where NBA players come out of.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2023, 12:48:37 PM »
We can't stream in 2023, get more highlights from the moms on the sidelines than the official accounts, and now can't get box scores either? FFS.

Have you ever considered that maybe it isn't up to Marquette?

Maybe the Italian teams that are hosting don't want their games live streamed. Marquette is the visitor and still providing us with highlights and stats and updates.
VIOLENCE!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2023, 12:50:26 PM »
Could be worse. UCF basketball team is going to Italy. This is the picture they posted.

UCF education in full view.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2023, 01:12:02 PM »
And it's the wrong call, which should be overruled by that administration. This is 2023. If it was 20 years ago, sure, you make this call. But we have had streaming options for the past two foreign trips in 2015 and 2019. Creighton has streaming going on right now with more extensive highlights and updates. This process has only become easier over the past decade since we first started doing this.

Events like this are part of team-building, sure, but they are also opportunities for fundraising and recruiting. They are outreach opportunities. No, not all fans will watch. It will be the diehards. But you know how you create more diehards going forward? By providing more year-round content. The existence of this site shows there is a market for year-round Marquette coverage.

For those that don't want it or don't care, that's certainly their prerogative. If you don't care, go on with your day and ignore all of this. You can come back in November when the season starts, or January when we're in the middle of Big East play, or March if you only care about the tournament. But for the fans that go to the practices, that go to the Madness/Halloween/BBQ type events, that subscribe to media outlets and websites specifically for Marquette coverage, and would pay for this (or a BTD NIL membership package), this kind of stuff should be available.

Further, not only should it be available because you have done it in the past and have proof of concept right now with other Big East programs, but Marquette promised via press releases that they would be making highlights and box scores available. When you not only come up short in terms of what is possible, but then come up short in terms of delivering what you said you would, that is a failure.

If you don't care, so be it. Go on with your day and we'll see you in a few months. But I'm not going to not say something when Marquette comes up short in terms of what they could provide and lie about what they will provide.

No one is going to stop being a fan because they can't see a summer game from Italy. No one would become a bigger fan by watching these games.

Marquette should certain do what they said they were going to do, but stop making this more than what it is - you want to watch the games and are disappointed because you can't - that's it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2023, 02:36:04 PM »

feedback