Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Milwaukee Pro AM 2023  (Read 3452 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Milwaukee Pro AM 2023
« on: June 26, 2023, 06:23:42 PM »
Coming in July. Will the fellas not play due to practice starting in late July in advance of Italy?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
Re: Milwaukee Pro AM 2023
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 07:20:21 PM »
Pro-Am?? Are you kidding me. Is this the League that used to play mostly Friday nights at Greenfield High School and occasionally at the MSOE gym downtown?? Four games per night. I bet I witnessed somewhere between 50-75 of these "games"" over the years. One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty--------it was virtually no "Pro" and just about all "Am". Want to hear about the night I saw Junior Cadougan score 71 points in one game?

If anyone were to ask me , I'd tell them to skip this chit and take the family to a movie instead. And if Shaka were to ask me, I tell him to get the guys together and field a beer-league slow pitch softball team. Probably be more fun. I bet Joplin could hit a softball a.         
f-ing mile.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 07:34:52 PM »
Pro-Am?? Are you kidding me. Is this the League that used to play mostly Friday nights at Greenfield High School and occasionally at the MSOE gym downtown?? Four games per night. I bet I witnessed somewhere between 50-75 of these "games"" over the years. One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty--------it was virtually no "Pro" and just about all "Am". Want to hear about the night I saw Junior Cadougan score 71 points in one game?

If anyone were to ask me , I'd tell them to skip this chit and take the family to a movie instead. And if Shaka were to ask me, I tell him to get the guys together and field a beer-league slow pitch softball team. Probably be more fun. I bet Joplin could hit a softball a.         
f-ing mile.

Well, unless you want to get a peek at MU’s frosh. That is the reason the ProAm has value and I think it is scheduled to have the MU guys there. Kolek loves the ProAm and was POd there were not more MU guys wanting to do it.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 07:55:10 PM »
Well, unless you want to get a peek at MU’s frosh. That is the reason the ProAm has value and I think it is scheduled to have the MU guys there. Kolek loves the ProAm and was POd there were not more MU guys wanting to do it.

Get a peek at MU's frosh doing what?

Playing defense? Getting good rebounding position? Setting a proper pick? Working on his off hand when dribbling? Going one-on-one against a 5'9 guy who plays at Milwakee Area Technical College.

The fact that Tyler K acknowledges that a lot of his teammates don't want to play in this setting should tell people everything they need to know.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 07:59:23 PM »
Get a peek at MU's frosh doing what?

Playing defense? Getting good rebounding position? Setting a proper pick? Working on his off hand when dribbling? Going one-on-one against a 5'9 guy who plays at Milwakee Area Technical College.

The fact that Tyler K acknowledges that a lot of his teammates don't want to play in this setting should tell people everything they need to know.
What does it tell us that Tyler plays in it and liked it?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 08:42:52 PM »
What does it tell us that Tyler plays in it and liked it?
That he likes to play basketball?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 09:35:11 PM »
Kinda with DTD on this one.
Very little value.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 10:01:38 PM »
Kinda with DTD on this one.
Very little value.

Unless of course you’d like to see new MU players ……who we haven’t seen yet……..in the summer and reconnect with old friends while you do it.

I mean some of us used to go to the old gym to watch pick up games……it’s basketball……

Ps lots of the guys in the past have been European pros……..Jabari Parker even played in sole games when he was with the Bucks.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 10:03:35 PM »
Coming in July. Will the fellas not play due to practice starting in late July in advance of Italy?

Doesn’t look like any MU players are in it. If they are they arnt on a roster yet

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 10:12:41 PM »
That he likes to play basketball?
Solid logic.  The MU players that don't play must not like playing basketball.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2023, 07:19:55 AM »

f-ing mile.

I get your logic and I agree with you that it’s terrible basketball and I wouldn’t want to go but if it’s so sh!ty…why did you go to 50-75 of the games?
Bring back FFP!!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2023, 07:46:42 AM »
My guess is a lot of these guys would be playing pick up ball somewhere if they weren't playing in this so it really doesn't do any harm. And if you don't like it, don't go.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2023, 09:16:38 AM »
I get your logic and I agree with you that it’s terrible basketball and I wouldn’t want to go but if it’s so sh!ty…why did you go to 50-75 of the games?

4 games a night spread out over 6-7 years. Seeing 50 games amounts to about 2 nights every summer.

I wasn't camped out at Greenfield high school all summer. When I went I was hoping to see a lot of the Marquette players back then but more often than not I was disappointed.  And if some showed up, it was often just a handful.  Watching team A comprised of 2 guys from MATC+1 guy from UWM+1guy from Carroll College and 1 guy from UW-Oshkosh take on team B comprised of 2 guys from Bryant&Stratton Business College + 2guys from Waukesha County Technical College + 1 guy from UW-Whitewater isn't compelling viewing for me and apparently wasn't compelling competition for guys like Vander Blue ( based on the amount of time I didn't see him there).

But I don't want to discouraged anyone. Go and enjoy.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2023, 11:20:32 AM »
Unless of course you’d like to see new MU players ……who we haven’t seen yet……..in the summer and reconnect with old friends while you do it.

I mean some of us used to go to the old gym to watch pick up games……it’s basketball……

Ps lots of the guys in the past have been European pros……..Jabari Parker even played in sole games when he was with the Bucks.
Should have clarified….little value to our current players. Many more opportunities over the summer than these pickup games. But if you enjoy these games…..more power to ya.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2023, 08:50:57 AM »
Buzz made it a priority, Wojo didn't like it, and I am not so sure Shaka is a supporter.  Shaka has even cancelled the MM and Fish Fry scrimmages.  Is the BBQ event even occurring?  He is not a fan of these gimmicky fan events. The STH scrimmage is a bit lame too.

Overall, I preferred the ProAm versus these others. It was a pickup game environment sure but we were able to see their skills and interactions.

That Junior game saw Vander, Gardner, Jamil and others trash talking and making physical runs at unstoppable Junior. My buddy said to me that this can't be good for team chemistry as it was heated. In the parking lot, these same guys were laughing and hanging out joking and bonding. The result was the 2nd best MU team this century.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 08:57:27 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2023, 08:54:46 AM »
The world has changed too.  NIL probably the biggest but it seems like the structure/demands around summer workouts just continues to increase. 

Have the rules around practice and contact with coaches changed since this was founded too?

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2023, 08:56:49 AM »
Buzz made it a priority, Wojo didn't like it, and I am not so sure Shaka is a supporter.  Shaka has even cancelled the MM and Fish Fry scrimmages.  Is the BBQ event even occurring?  He is not a fan of these gimmicky fan events. The STH scrimmage is a bit lame too.

Overall, I preferred the ProAm versus these others. It was a pickup game but he got to see their skills and interactions.

That Junior game saw Vander, Gardner, Jamil and others trash talking and making physical runs at unstoppable Junior. My buddy said to me that this can't be good for team chemistry as it was heated. In the parking lot, these same guys were laughing and hanging out joking and bonding. The result was the 2nd best MU team this century.

Last year's was the second best Marquette team this century.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2023, 08:59:58 AM »
The world has changed too.  NIL probably the biggest but it seems like the structure/demands around summer workouts just continues to increase. 

Have the rules around practice and contact with coaches changed since this was founded too?

Yes. Now the coaches can be with the players in summer workouts for a certain number of hours. That wasn't the case back when this started.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2023, 09:06:30 AM »
Last year's was the second best Marquette team this century.

You excluding March and the quality of the Big East teams from top to bottom? 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2023, 09:09:40 AM »
Yes. Now the coaches can be with the players in summer workouts for a certain number of hours. That wasn't the case back when this started.

#FakeNews #Lies

No change for years. Not something new. See bylaws, specifically17.1.7.2.1.6.1

In basketball, a student-athlete who is enrolled in summer school may engage in required weight-training, conditioning and skill-related instruction for up to eight weeks (not required to be consecutive weeks).……….. Participation in such activities shall be limited to a maximum of eight hours per week with not more than four hours per week spent on skill-related instruction.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2023, 09:10:54 AM »
You excluding March and the quality of the Big East teams from top to bottom? 

Yes. They won the BE and the BET in March. Sure they didn't progress as far as the '13 team in the NCAA tournament, but that's not the sole indicator of who is "best."

IMO they play head to head, last year's team wins solidly.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2023, 09:15:55 AM »
#FakeNews #Lies

No change for years. Not something new. See bylaws, specifically17.1.7.2.1.6.1

In basketball, a student-athlete who is enrolled in summer school may engage in required weight-training, conditioning and skill-related instruction for up to eight weeks (not required to be consecutive weeks).……….. Participation in such activities shall be limited to a maximum of eight hours per week with not more than four hours per week spent on skill-related instruction.

Which was adopted in January 2012 - after the ProAm started.

https://mkeproam.com/about-us

"The Milwaukee Summer Pro-Am was founded by Jim Ganzer and Craig Kasten in 2010 in hopes of delivering an opportunity for local college and professional basketball players the opportunity to compete over the summer."

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2023, 09:19:20 AM »
Silly question, can the Milwaukee Pro Am pay the MU players to participate?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2023, 09:21:44 AM »
Yes. They won the BE and the BET in March. Sure they didn't progress as far as the '13 team in the NCAA tournament, but that's not the sole indicator of who is "best."

IMO they play head to head, last year's team wins solidly.

The 2013 team won the big east regular season also and it was probably a better league back then, arguably

Also, I’d trade an elite 8 for a big east tourney championship any day
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 09:23:20 AM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2023, 09:29:24 AM »
The 2013 team won the big east regular season also and it was probably a better league back then, arguably

As would I. But that doesn't make that team "better."

And I would argue a three way tie for first isn't quite the same thing as winning the regular season by two games.

Regardless, I think the 2012 team was better than the 2013 anyway.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2023, 09:41:36 AM »
Which was adopted in January 2012 - after the ProAm started.

https://mkeproam.com/about-us

"The Milwaukee Summer Pro-Am was founded by Jim Ganzer and Craig Kasten in 2010 in hopes of delivering an opportunity for local college and professional basketball players the opportunity to compete over the summer."

True; I read it as saying it changed with advent of NIL. Got it now.

Certainly the summer contact is quite limited. [except as we get close to the foreign tour!!]

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2023, 09:47:21 AM »
Silly question, can the Milwaukee Pro Am pay the MU players to participate?

A Certified League and its teams can’t pay for play or even expenses. Best they can do is give a t-shirt or equivalent (eg, a cheap azz reversible mesh jersey with no markings)

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2023, 09:47:49 AM »
Regardless, I think the 2012 team was better than the 2013 anyway.

Agree 100%. That team was dynamite and Jae had the best individual season since Wade, until TK this year.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2023, 10:07:24 AM »
A Certified League and its teams can’t pay for play or even expenses. Best they can do is give a t-shirt or equivalent (eg, a cheap azz reversible mesh jersey with no markings)
Can a player (for example Tyler) set up a booth near the doors and sell his merch?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2023, 10:30:13 AM »

That team missed Otule (ACL). Jamil did a commendable job at center with the Big Sheesh off the bench. But was vulnerable in the post-season and it took Jamil away from his best skills.

In the end, it's how you leave the room, not how you enter it. Give me an Elite 8 too.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2023, 11:57:11 AM »
Can a player (for example Tyler) set up a booth near the doors and sell his merch?

You might be onto something. $5,000 sweatshirts would make it easier to get $$ to our guys.

I miss when the twin cities pro am was at the Salvation Army in St. Paul. Would eat at Mancini’s, then walk over for the games

I went last year.., (Minnehaha academy).. Tyus Jones played.. his team led by a d3 guy who was unreal.

Ps- Terrence brown, FDU. Could make big noise in the future

feedback