Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: There is no finish line  (Read 11490 times)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: There is no finish line
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2023, 10:18:17 PM »
The team is too good. If only one of those guys was returning maybe 25, 20 or 14 is realistic. But with this many options it’s not going to happen

Yep.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2023, 10:21:15 PM »
Can Jop improve defensively?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2023, 02:08:28 AM »
I would be beyond jacked if Stevie gave them 9ppg, especially without having 2-3 games that pad that number. If he can keep the other teams D honest, they might have a better offer next season than this past season.

Jay Bee is correct on it is going to be hard to match some of the individual shooting numbers , but I think there will be big improvement in Gold and Ross in that regard.

Starting to get excited for the upcoming season.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2023, 07:16:29 AM »

Haha…..no….its not possible.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2023, 07:40:11 AM »
Haha…..no….its not possible.

I'd still like to add a big but I'm eager to see Jop and Benny's improvements. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2023, 08:03:19 AM »
I was at a golf outing Monday and Nevada Smith was there afterwards to say a few words (lots of MU Alum ther).  He said Oso is working on his three point shot.  At one practice he hit 6 of 8.  Unguarded, but 6 of 8.  And he continues to work on it.
Reminds me of Davante Gardner.
Even if Oso can make a three, he is not likely to take many threes.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2023, 08:04:30 AM »
There’s a very good chance we’re preseason top 10. When’s the last time that happened?

Probably 1978.

It's been awhile. I'm excited for this team but I want to get closer to November 1 before I begin to book my Final Four trip.  I'm a little jaundiced because I see our NCAA Championship team and our McGuire era teams and those teams had far more talent than what I see here. But here, I see a Coach in Shaka who gets everything he can and then some from his players.

I sometimes wonder if Shaka had coached a McGuire team, how many Nattys would we have had? Would Bill Neary be one of the five best Warriors ever?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2023, 08:07:24 AM »
I think so, given he is working hard on his conditioning.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2023, 08:22:09 AM »

Can? Of course.  But how much may be the most important question of the season.

Assuming a starting lineup of the returning 4 plus jop... last season that lineup was offensively elite...but abysmal defensively. Jops frame and athlericism limits his ceiling as a defensive player but i don't doubt fir a second that he won't improve and move closer to that ceiling next season.  Others will also have to improve to compensate for the defensive drop off from Omax to Joplin.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2023, 10:06:24 AM »
I thought Joplin was getting better with his defensive awareness especially as the season went on, and he seemed to be pretty competent defending the post at times. I expect him to be at least passable this coming season, I believe in the guy and the staff.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2023, 10:10:00 AM »
I thought Joplin was getting better with his defensive awareness especially as the season went on, and he seemed to be pretty competent defending the post at times. I expect him to be at least passable this coming season, I believe in the guy and the staff.

Same, I think he struggles with switching on defense though.  He isn't nearly as quick as the other guys on the team.  I think he'll get better in the off season, but I'm not sure his defensive ceiling is high enough for him to be a reliable defender.  I hope to be proven wrong.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2023, 10:16:26 AM »
Statistically, Joplin's freshman year defense and sophomore year defense were similar, granted he hardly played as a freshman and had a fair few blocks for his limited minutes.

However, his offense greatly improved last year despite his inability to score at the rim last year.

Kam Jones was the player whose defense improved.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2023, 10:24:37 AM »
Grow and develop.  Get better each day and each season.  That’s Marquette’s path to glory.  You should expect each player to do exactly that under the current regime.

Expecting them to stay static on either side of the court is wrong
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2023, 11:38:56 AM »
They all get stronger, maybe taller with Oso, all the players had weaknesses to improve in the offseason.  Italy trip will really help chemistry.  We will see if the transfer portal would have made a difference.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2023, 11:40:06 AM »
The guards on this team are pretty extraordinary.  There's only one ball but I'll take our crew vs any team in the USA

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2023, 01:20:22 PM »
Statistically, Joplin's freshman year defense and sophomore year defense were similar, granted he hardly played as a freshman and had a fair few blocks for his limited minutes.

However, his offense greatly improved last year despite his inability to score at the rim last year.

Kam Jones was the player whose defense improved.
Kam's defensive effort increased massively. He bought into what Shaka was selling. If he can get burned on the back cut a little less often I'll be happy.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2023, 02:53:49 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuXS28ANTXD/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=01ecc39a-e260-48ad-9303-f5b1c6d2bb1a

Get to know Tre Norman.

"Fun Fact when I was making my top 3, Just threw whatever other schools in there because really it was a top 1"

Maybe JFP, Brew, and others knew what they were talking about when they said that other programs stopped recruiting Norman last summer because they knew he was a Marquette lock
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2023, 01:06:04 PM »
Probably 1978.

It's been awhile. I'm excited for this team but I want to get closer to November 1 before I begin to book my Final Four trip.  I'm a little jaundiced because I see our NCAA Championship team and our McGuire era teams and those teams had far more talent than what I see here. But here, I see a Coach in Shaka who gets everything he can and then some from his players.

I sometimes wonder if Shaka had coached a McGuire team, how many Nattys would we have had? Would Bill Neary be one of the five best Warriors ever?

Are you saying, in less words, Shaka is a better game coach than Al?

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2023, 05:36:47 PM »
I'm saying it, Al never had a shot clock or a 3 point line!
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2023, 06:26:16 PM »
I'm saying it, Al never had a shot clock or a 3 point line!

But he had aircraft carriers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2023, 06:44:24 PM »
Al won with superior talent that played great D.  Offensively he was maybe the worst coach at the time, simpleton O. If he let his team run they would have been just like the runnin rebels under Shark. Tatum, Walton and Lee and he is walking the ball up the court?

tower912

• All American
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 08:26:54 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2023, 09:08:52 PM »
But he had aircraft carriers.

And broads knew their place
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback