Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Be The Difference, Serve The Time  (Read 4717 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Be The Difference, Serve The Time
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2023, 07:48:27 AM »
The IRS basically agrees with JB:

https://www.wsj.com/sports/irs-tax-edge-college-sports-booster-groups-427d403f?mod=Searchresults_pos1&page=1

From a Marquette standpoint, it comes down to this: Give to the Blue & Gold Fund, get a tax deduction.

Give to Be the Difference, fat chance.

Already donated to Be The Difference.  Good tax accountant got me a deduction.  DM me for her name
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2023, 07:56:47 AM »
Already donated to Be The Difference.  Good tax accountant got me a deduction.  DM me for her name

Part of the WSJ article said the IRS is reviewing past rulings to change them. Thank you for donating to our future success but I hope the IRS doesn't audit you!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2023, 07:59:11 AM »
Petrocelli, me and sum of my posse will gladly visit ya at da Greybar Hotel, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2023, 08:07:13 AM »
Part of the WSJ article said the IRS is reviewing past rulings to change them. Thank you for donating to our future success but I hope the IRS doesn't audit you!

That’s my accountants problem.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2023, 08:16:22 AM »
That’s my accountants problem.
Good luck with that

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2023, 08:25:22 AM »
Good luck with that

Natty’s are forever and that’s all that matters.  Plus, rich people don’t worry about taxes.  That’s for the poors

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2023, 08:52:56 AM »
The IRS basically agrees with JB:

https://www.wsj.com/sports/irs-tax-edge-college-sports-booster-groups-427d403f?mod=Searchresults_pos1&page=1

From a Marquette standpoint, it comes down to this: Give to the Blue & Gold Fund, get a tax deduction.

Not even a deduction for your B&G seat donation anymore as you receive a benefit.  Although one could argue there were only hardships during the Wojo years.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2023, 09:32:39 AM »
An error on the tax return (or an "aggressive position") is not the accountant's problem from the IRS's (and the law) viewpoint.  And, the accountant is never (maybe in a fraudulent scheme concocted by the accountant where the taxpayer is a dupe, but even then it is doubtful) liable to you for your resulting taxes and interest paid to the IRS.  If you can prove negligence (difficult in this case, I would think), accountant may be liable to repay some of the fees charged to you for preparing the tax return, and, depending on your engagement agreement and jurisdiction, maybe for penalties and for your cost of addressing the issue with the IRS, but highly unlikely.  But the taxpayer is on the hook for taxes and interest with no legal (as opposed to business reasons which may drive the accountant to pay something) chance for reimbursement from the accountant.

Accountant could be separately penalized by the IRS.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2023, 09:49:06 AM »
Donate to Be The Difference and win natty’s.  End of story

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2023, 10:27:38 AM »
An error on the tax return (or an "aggressive position") is not the accountant's problem from the IRS's (and the law) viewpoint.  And, the accountant is never (maybe in a fraudulent scheme concocted by the accountant where the taxpayer is a dupe, but even then it is doubtful) liable to you for your resulting taxes and interest paid to the IRS.  If you can prove negligence (difficult in this case, I would think), accountant may be liable to repay some of the fees charged to you for preparing the tax return, and, depending on your engagement agreement and jurisdiction, maybe for penalties and for your cost of addressing the issue with the IRS, but highly unlikely.  But the taxpayer is on the hook for taxes and interest with no legal (as opposed to business reasons which may drive the accountant to pay something) chance for reimbursement from the accountant.

Accountant could be separately penalized by the IRS.

I seem to recall that TAMU recently offered some good advice for dealing with Rico's posts.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2023, 11:42:23 AM »
Donate to Be The Difference and win natty’s.  End of story

Why don't you write a check directly to each player. The IRS allows up to a 17K gift tax free to the recipient. Of course you don't get a deduction.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2023, 11:47:05 AM »
Why don't you write a check directly to each player. The IRS allows up to a 17K gift tax free to the recipient. Of course you don't get a deduction.

I wish we could.  Years of free entertainment, I wish we could right checks to a lot of Marquette basketball players.

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2023, 05:33:49 AM »
Free entertainment? Where do you sit?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2023, 02:16:17 PM »
Free entertainment? Where do you sit?

Rico sits under the bridge waiting for the billy goats.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2023, 02:18:28 PM »
Rico sits under the bridge waiting for the billy goats.

Suites.  Avoid the poors

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2023, 02:36:02 PM »
How are them Homewood Suites, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"