'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo to coach Jazz G-league team  (Read 12780 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Wojo to coach Jazz G-league team
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2023, 08:43:08 AM »
NBA? Wojo’s coaching in the minors, not the show. If he forgets the score down there no one will care - or even notice.

That’s why there are two threads on scoop discussing it.  Obviously, no one cares.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2023, 09:11:09 AM »
Another connection is Brendan Bailey's father Thurl is still a broadcast analyst for the Jazz.

Lol. Yeah, sure.  Why wouldn’t Thurl be a big Wojo fan?  Brendan was the player who fouled upon Wojo’s instruction when he forgot the score.  Then leaving early without any hope to be drafted. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 09:14:39 AM by HutchwasClutch »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2023, 09:32:34 AM »
All kidding aside, good luck to Wojo. He represented the university well while here. I think an NBA assistant is a good landing spot eventually when the boys are older.

It sounds like during his paid staycation he took the time to reflect, learn and be exposed to other coaches and systems. I always thought it was a negative for him staying so long under one coach as it never allowed him to make his own mistakes or be exposed to a variety of systems. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2023, 09:33:02 AM »
Wojo did some nice things for my MU housemates kid at Children’s/Mke. All good on Woj.

I’m not surprised to hear this. Handled himself with class always.  I ripped his coaching early and often, but never had a beef with his character.  Just in over his head coaching high level basketball. 

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2023, 09:49:40 AM »

Lol. Yeah, sure.  Why wouldn’t Thurl be a big Wojo fan?  Brendan was the player who fouled upon Wojo’s instruction when he forgot the score.  Then leaving early without any hope to be drafted.

To be fair... When Wojo finally benched Joey hauser, he then replaced him with the only player who was worse on the team that year in Brendan Bailey coming off of his mission.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2023, 11:57:35 AM »
All kidding aside, good luck to Wojo. He represented the university well while here. I think an NBA assistant is a good landing spot eventually when the boys are older.

It sounds like during his paid staycation he took the time to reflect, learn and be exposed to other coaches and systems. I always thought it was a negative for him staying so long under one coach as it never allowed him to make his own mistakes or be exposed to a variety of systems.

Spot on! There was some chatter early in Wojo's tenure about Marquette becoming "Duke North". I hated that! Success? Hell yes! But lthe Duke North reference was codescending. I think he stayed in "Dukie Mode" for the entire seven years at Marquette, believing that if he just got enough top level recruits, in game coaching "no matta".

Agree with Hutch and Viper regarding his character, but he was hired first and foremost to coach. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2023, 01:47:12 PM »
That’s why there are two threads on scoop discussing it.  Obviously, no one cares.

WTF? You ask the dumb, snarky question about “letters in the NBA” when your boy is heading to the minors, not the NBA.

Then you get a 1 out of 10 for reading comprehension. I didn’t say nobody cared about Wojo around here - I said he’s headed for a league where no one cares about the scores of the games, which is both true and fortunate for him.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2023, 05:12:34 PM »
WTF? You ask the dumb, snarky question about “letters in the NBA” when your boy is heading to the minors, not the NBA.

Then you get a 1 out of 10 for reading comprehension. I didn’t say nobody cared about Wojo around here - I said he’s headed for a league where no one cares about the scores of the games, which is both true and fortunate for him.

Obviously plenty of people care about where he’s going.  The organization, the players, the coaches and plenty of others.  I think what you’re saying is #fakenews and #lies
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2023, 07:57:21 PM »
As for Woj, he decorated his Quon crib in blue and gold holiday lights at Christmas. So, he has that goin' for 'im, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2023, 08:56:27 PM »
To be fair... When Wojo finally benched Joey hauser, he then replaced him with the only player who was worse on the team that year in Brendan Bailey coming off of his mission.

I agree with this analysis.  And I'll add Wojo completely didn't understand how good Jamal Cain could be.  His coaching of Jamal was borderline tragic.

That aside, Wojo was a good man.  But a below average at best basketball coach.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2023, 09:15:24 PM »
Letter writing grades: 

Jalen & Jayson: 💯
Sam & Joey: 💯
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2023, 05:33:05 PM »
Having to make a living.
Providing for his family.
Time to move on.
Is this satire? He collected more from us in two lump sum payments than the average person will see in their lifetime.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2023, 05:37:39 PM »
Wojo loves the game.
He wanted to coach again.
Time to move on, folks.

For the haiku deprived.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2023, 05:56:22 PM »
Wojo loves the game.
He wanted to coach again.
Time to move on, folks.

For the haiku deprived.
Where was the haiku for the Hauser thread?

We only get 2 pages of reaction to his first job since MU?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2023, 06:00:15 PM »
Joey and Sam left
I moved on long, long ago
Best going forward.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2023, 06:05:10 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2023, 06:10:56 PM »
Where was the haiku for the Hauser thread?

We only get 2 pages of reaction to his first job since MU?

Wojo for the win
AC, HC and TV
Privilege is real

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2023, 09:08:16 PM »
Coach K led the way
His time had come they would say
The Hauser letter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2023, 10:01:50 PM »
Good situation
Minor opportunity
Where score no matta

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2023, 10:11:18 PM »
Haiku? Keefe? That you?
Still have not seen him around
Hope he’s doing well
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2023, 10:24:46 PM »
Having to make a living.
Providing for his family.
Time to move on.
The money alone MU has and is paying him in generational wealth….

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2023, 05:44:02 AM »
He isn't coaching a G league team for the money.   He loves the game and wants to coach.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2023, 08:56:47 AM »
He isn't coaching a G league team for the money.   He loves the game and wants to coach.

Agree. With the addition that I think he wants to coach in the NBA. I figure he'll be an assistant on an NBA bench by the 2025 season if not sooner. I'm not saying he's well suited for that, but I think that's what is going to happen. I'm perfectly willing to entertain the possibility that Wojo can perform well as an assistant - even if it seems pretty widely believed here (and I agree) that he's not a good game coach.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2023, 08:58:54 AM »

Wow 29 Putts, I walked past the man's house every day and never knew that about him. Who knew, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2023, 11:13:12 AM »
Is it your contention that he is taking a job in the G league for the money?

Actually, never mind.   Coming from you, that tracks.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 11:34:18 AM by tower912 »