collapse

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Oakland  (Read 802 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Oakland
« on: May 24, 2023, 08:22:11 PM »
Pretty rough 5 yrs for that city. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: Oakland
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 10:01:48 PM »
An historic city that was the epicenter of a lot of good.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 10:06:49 PM »
East Bay is underrated and over sensationalized.  Great place to live.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 10:22:33 PM »
An historic city that was the epicenter of a lot of good.

My stepdaughter and her friend were mugged in a residential area in Oakland about two weeks ago by kids-3 boys and a girl. They knocked down the women and kicked my stepdaughter repeatedly. My guess is that some of these kids were the attackers. The neighborhood was nice, and the women decided to take a walk after lunch at a restaurant, thinking they were in a safe area.

Glad to hear the kids were arrested. It is one thing to have your money, credit cards and IDs stolen, but the beating up of the victims is the worst part of it not only due to the injuries and pain but often more importantly because of the long term, often permanent, psychological damage from the attack. My stepdaughter's friend escaped most of the physical assault but was leaving for Europe in 2-3 days and had to scurry to secure new IDs and credit cards. My stepdaughter said she has a fictitious address on her driver's license. This prevents the muggers from showing up at your home for which they may have keys.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 10:34:45 PM »
My stepdaughter and her friend were mugged in a residential area in Oakland about two weeks ago by kids-3 boys and a girl. They knocked down the women and kicked my stepdaughter repeatedly. My guess is that some of these kids were the attackers. The neighborhood was nice, and the women decided to take a walk after lunch at a restaurant, thinking they were in a safe area.

Glad to hear the kids were arrested. It is one thing to have your money, credit cards and IDs stolen, but the beating up of the victims is the worst part of it not only due to the injuries and pain but often more importantly because of the long term, often permanent, psychological damage from the attack. My stepdaughter's friend escaped most of the physical assault but was leaving for Europe in 2-3 days and had to scurry to secure new IDs and credit cards. My stepdaughter said she has a fictitious address on her driver's license. This prevents the muggers from showing up at your home for which they may have keys.

Having a fake address on your idea is very much illegal. And I’ve never heard of anyone getting a new ID and/or credit card within 2-3 days.

Hopefully your stepdaughter is okay.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 10:40:18 PM »
Losing 3 pro sports teams isn't particularly good.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 07:34:49 AM »

Absolutely awful and scary. I’ve seen a couple videos lately of kids in Milwaukee damaging a car and threatening a woman. It pains me to see young kids acting so violently with so much anger, they’re kids. Heartbreaking. I echo your statement about the psychology, while I wasn’t attacked, when my car was broken into and identifying info was stolen, I sat awake for two days until I could get a locksmith, it was unnerving. I wish the best for your stepdaughter and friend, awful awful experience.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 07:45:50 AM »

Yeah, there is so much history there with the sports teams. It’s a proud city. When I took my teenage boys there, we went to Berkeley where I showed them where protests happened and what they were about, took them to Marcus Books and we bought several titles about the Black experience and of course a superhero one, too, we chatted with the owner and she appreciated our interest and give us a little ribbing about our eclectic choices, we stayed at the Remember Them monument for a couple hours, talked about Fruitvale, the Black Panthers social and political missions, talked about the “birth” of farm to table cuisine and Alice Waters, Reem’s Bakery, Saul’s, hiking, driving/walking around the city.

Oakland has its warts like any big city, and the city should be celebrated. There is no debate that we see and experience violent acts and see parts of cities and communities falling apart, and we can celebrate the history of these cities and how important they are to our culture as Americans, as humans. I love Oakland, so I am biased, of course, and I love to celebrate  what has come from there.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 07:50:58 AM »
Having a fake address on your idea is very much illegal. And I’ve never heard of anyone getting a new ID and/or credit card within 2-3 days.

I'm well aware that having a fake address is illegal. And I think it proved to be a very good idea (see 21 Jumpstreet's post).

Not sure if the friend was able to get at least a credit card quickly. Probably did not get the driver's license issue resolved, but I would think both issues -ID + credit card-come up often enough due to robbery that there may be some systems in place to fast track the replacements.

Interersting the order in which you wrote your post.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 07:53:50 AM »
I'm well aware that having a fake address is illegal. And I think it proved to be a very good idea (see 21 Jumpstreet's post).

Not sure if the friend was able to get at least a credit card quickly. Probably did not get the driver's license issue resolved, but I would think both issues -ID + credit card-come up often enough due to robbery that there may be some systems in place to fast track the replacements.

Interersting the order in which you wrote your post.

Can she put a PO Box or UPS Store address on her Driver's License or ID?  I'm glad she's okay Scoop Snoop.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2023, 07:58:50 AM »
Only criminals use fake addresses. Sounds like she’s sketchy. Is she a dentist by any chance?  ;D

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2023, 08:06:45 AM »

I just replaced a debit card in 10 minutes at my credit union on Monday. I have printed out a new temporary ID for my B-i-L that always loses his even quicker. I'm sure replacing a passport would take time.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2023, 08:10:50 AM »
Can she put a PO Box or UPS Store address on her Driver's License or ID?  I'm glad she's okay Scoop Snoop.

Not a PO box for sure.

When people move, they may not bother to update their street address until the license is due for renewal.

For years, hospitals and other entities demanded that you list your ss# on their forms. I always refused. The risks to your credit rating ruined and having your identity stolen is immense. When a phone # is in the "required" field online, mine is something like 123 456 7890.

I do not give a rat's ass that a phony address on a driver's license is illegal. I doubt that anyone has ever been sentenced for that offense. Imagine yourself after having been mugged, losing your license along with keys for your home and vehicle, and returning home knowing that the muggers have all they need to rob your home and steal your vehicle.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2023, 08:13:45 AM »
Only criminals use fake addresses. Sounds like she’s sketchy. Is she a dentist by any chance?  ;D

She has lived in California for many years, so of course she's sketchy by definition. Not a criminal or dentist though.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2023, 09:26:12 AM »
Not a PO box for sure.

When people move, they may not bother to update their street address until the license is due for renewal.

For years, hospitals and other entities demanded that you list your ss# on their forms. I always refused. The risks to your credit rating ruined and having your identity stolen is immense. When a phone # is in the "required" field online, mine is something like 123 456 7890.

I do not give a rat's ass that a phony address on a driver's license is illegal. I doubt that anyone has ever been sentenced for that offense. Imagine yourself after having been mugged, losing your license along with keys for your home and vehicle, and returning home knowing that the muggers have all they need to rob your home and steal your vehicle.

I think you can get a mailbox at a UPS store and use it as a legal address but I'm not sure.  I know I friend of mine traveled for a year or so and used his parents' house as his legal address.  Could she do that with your address and have her mail forwarded?  I'm just curious. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2023, 09:46:23 AM »
Snoop

I am sure bias can answer any question you may have on the topic. Sorry to hear about your stepdaughter and her friend. Equally sorry that bias felt a need to question your post.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2023, 09:50:50 AM »

It stinks, especially for the fans and image of the community.
That said, I'm not sure using very limited public resources to help build three - or any -  new stadiums would be the best use of taxpayer money in a city that has so many day-to-day needs.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2023, 09:51:37 AM »

YMMV, but I had multiple Chase CCs lost or stolen in the last 6-7 years and almost always had a replacement within 3 business days.  The best was calling Chase on a Sunday and the new card was in my hands Tuesday midday.