[Today at 09:11:45 AM]

Where is Marquette? by rocky_warrior
[Today at 09:10:49 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Do we have any chefs here?  (Read 1796 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Do we have any chefs here?
« on: April 22, 2023, 11:03:48 AM »
So my neighbor is moving and he gave me this enormous Cuisinart that has barely been used.  I figured I might as well take it, it's probably a $200+ machine.  That said I'm not much of a baker.  I assume it would be very good for pie crusts or what have you but what are the best non dessert recipe ideas for this thing? 

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Do we have any chefs here?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 11:17:55 AM »
So my neighbor is moving and he gave me this enormous Cuisinart that has barely been used.  I figured I might as well take it, it's probably a $200+ machine.  That said I'm not much of a baker.  I assume it would be very good for pie crusts or what have you but what are the best non dessert recipe ideas for this thing?

Cuisinart is a brand.

What is the appliance?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 11:29:56 AM »
ZFB makes a killer Hot Pocket
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 11:30:30 AM »
Cuisinart is a brand.

What is the appliance?

A huge food processor..  14 cup.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 11:35:09 AM »
Depending on the blades available it could help with a bunch of stuff. The dough blade creates really nice gluten for pizza dough since it whips it around so fast. If there's a slicer/grater blade that can help with prep with veggies. Or if you need to grate a bunch of cheese quickly.

I use mine quite a bit for sauces. Saves a bunch of time.

mix it up

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 11:40:06 AM »
Excellent machine. That's a generous friend.
We've had one for over 35 yrs and use it constantly. Very versatile and time saving machines. You can make salsas, guacamole, pesto, bread dough, slice veggies...all kinds of things. I've just scratched the surface of what it can do. It has a wide assortment of blades. I cook a lot and would be lost in the kitchen without ours for the prep.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/food_processors/#:~:text=Iconic%20Cuisinart%C2%AE%20food%20processors,capacity%20of%20the%20work%20bowl.

Enjoy

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 11:42:03 AM »
Agreed with last two posts.

Saves times with chopping/grating

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 11:50:52 AM »
Excellent machine. That's a generous friend.
We've had one for over 35 yrs and use it constantly. Very versatile and time saving machines. You can make salsas, guacamole, pesto, bread dough, slice veggies...all kinds of things. I've just scratched the surface of what it can do. It has a wide assortment of blades. I cook a lot and would be lost in the kitchen without ours for the prep.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/food_processors/#:~:text=Iconic%20Cuisinart%C2%AE%20food%20processors,capacity%20of%20the%20work%20bowl.

Enjoy

The thing is incredible, sturdy as fk.  Cast Metal.  I was thinking about sauces like Pestos, Hummus, Chimichurri.  Dough is not something I thought of though.  COOL!  Ya...I have all of these attachments. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 11:56:47 AM »
Maybe I'll try to do Vichyssoise with this bad boy.  Leeks are underrated. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 11:57:26 AM »
The thing is incredible, sturdy as fk.  Cast Metal.  I was thinking about sauces like Pestos, Hummus, Chimichurri.  Dough is not something I thought of though.  COOL!  Ya...I have all of these attachments.
almond butter, cashew butter, macadamia nut butter.  You'll thank me later

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2023, 11:58:35 AM »
Maybe I'll try to do Vichyssoise with this bad boy.  Leeks are underrated.

Breaks down manatee blubber pretty well, too
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2023, 11:59:10 AM »
almond butter, cashew butter, macadamia nut butter.  You'll thank me later

Oh....that's brilliant! I can't believe the power of this machine.  Ty.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2023, 12:43:42 PM »
That thing is a beast! I usually use mine to make a bunch of different pestos (traditional basil, roasted red pepper, lots of cool herbs to try out), many varieties of hummus (traditional, roasted red pepper, Kalamata olive) and spreads (baba ganoush, Boursin, black bean). If I use a machine for bread dough, I’ll use the kitchenaid with a dough hook, and when I make pie crusts/biscuits/scones I do it by hand. I have used mine for falafel, too. I don’t do salsas and guac in mine as I like texture. You could also do some killer sauces, dressings, and aiolis. Have fun!

I’d be interested to hear how often you end up using it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2023, 01:16:26 PM »
That thing is a beast! I usually use mine to make a bunch of different pestos (traditional basil, roasted red pepper, lots of cool herbs to try out), many varieties of hummus (traditional, roasted red pepper, Kalamata olive) and spreads (baba ganoush, Boursin, black bean). If I use a machine for bread dough, I’ll use the kitchenaid with a dough hook, and when I make pie crusts/biscuits/scones I do it by hand. I have used mine for falafel, too. I don’t do salsas and guac in mine as I like texture. You could also do some killer sauces, dressings, and aiolis. Have fun!

I’d be interested to hear how often you end up using it.

I too am partial to my traditional guac and salsas.  Although maybe with a tomatillo salsa it would be good?  There's also that smooth red salsa which I believe is cooked first and then pureed.  I hadn't thought about falafel.  I freaking love falafel.  There seems to be an art with it.  The best I've had was in Montreal.  Do you just fry those bad boys up with veggie oil in a Dutch Oven?  I'm not sure how much I'll use it but I usually cook 5 meals a week. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2023, 02:00:30 PM »
14c food processor is great for refried beans

This recipe is from the Oaxaca cookbook (same author of the blog post as the cookbook itself), and is great + simple - https://store.ilovemole.com/blogs/recipes/oaxaca-refried-beans

Edit: If any of you enjoy cooking and want to dive deeper into Mexican cuisine, I can't recommend teh Oaxaca cookbook enough https://www.amazon.com/Oaxaca-Home-Cooking-Heart-Mexico/dp/141973542X

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2023, 02:30:21 PM »
14c food processor is great for refried beans

This recipe is from the Oaxaca cookbook (same author of the blog post as the cookbook itself), and is great + simple - https://store.ilovemole.com/blogs/recipes/oaxaca-refried-beans

Edit: If any of you enjoy cooking and want to dive deeper into Mexican cuisine, I can't recommend teh Oaxaca cookbook enough https://www.amazon.com/Oaxaca-Home-Cooking-Heart-Mexico/dp/141973542X

Tyvm!  I've always wanted to learn how to make a mole. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2023, 04:46:47 PM »
Sweet Jesus.  Why are you attacking this animal?  Everyone understood I meant the Mexican Mole sauce. 

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2023, 12:35:08 AM »
I too am partial to my traditional guac and salsas.  Although maybe with a tomatillo salsa it would be good?  There's also that smooth red salsa which I believe is cooked first and then pureed.  I hadn't thought about falafel.  I freaking love falafel.  There seems to be an art with it.  The best I've had was in Montreal.  Do you just fry those bad boys up with veggie oil in a Dutch Oven?  I'm not sure how much I'll use it but I usually cook 5 meals a week.

Yep, you can definitely fry it in a Dutch oven. You can also pan or shallow fry it and even bake it. My wife got me an air fryer that I balked at for years, so I’m going to try that route someday. Funny enough, my best falafel so far was in Paris.

I always used a blender for my tomatillo salsa (and hollandaise), but you could certainly use the food processor. You could make like whipped feta dip, I’ve made fresh cranberry relish at the holidays, one year I picked strawberries and basil and made a strawberry Basil purée of sorts to mix with gin. You could make crumble toppings for fresh fruit, olive tapenade, you could make veggie burgers, deviled eggs, smoked fish dip, salmon patties.

I have a nice Cuisinart, too, and I almost NEVER use it. But in my decades of owning/operating restaurants, we couldn’t live without our robot coupes.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2023, 05:48:06 AM »
Yep, you can definitely fry it in a Dutch oven. You can also pan or shallow fry it and even bake it. My wife got me an air fryer that I balked at for years, so I’m going to try that route someday. Funny enough, my best falafel so far was in Paris.

I always used a blender for my tomatillo salsa (and hollandaise), but you could certainly use the food processor. You could make like whipped feta dip, I’ve made fresh cranberry relish at the holidays, one year I picked strawberries and basil and made a strawberry Basil purée of sorts to mix with gin. You could make crumble toppings for fresh fruit, olive tapenade, you could make veggie burgers, deviled eggs, smoked fish dip, salmon patties.

I have a nice Cuisinart, too, and I almost NEVER use it. But in my decades of owning/operating restaurants, we couldn’t live without our robot coupes.
Believe it or not, you can make falafel in a waffle iron. Falafel waffles are fun to say and eat.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2023, 06:19:13 AM »
Believe it or not, you can make falafel in a waffle iron. Falafel waffles are fun to say and eat.

100% great call!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2023, 09:36:11 AM »
We have this same machine.  It's great, but we barely use it, and it is sort of annoying to clean.

I usually end up hand chopping everything... foolishly.  Since the food processor would probably take less time to clean than it takes me to break all the food down.

Also, whoever said leeks are underrated, that is a hard agree.  We make a nice potato leek soup a couple of times throughout the winter.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2023, 09:14:42 PM »
molé, not mole

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2023, 09:23:06 PM »
molé, not mole

Too late, your credibility is shot mole man