[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cardinal Stritch Closing  (Read 4642 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Cardinal Stritch Closing
« on: April 10, 2023, 06:00:34 PM »
Shutting down after this semester. 
Ludum habemus.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Cardinal Stritch Closing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 06:24:44 PM »
Not surprising for any second-tier private university.

Unless they have some sort of special niche they serve, the days of most of them are numbered.  No one is going into six figures of debt to attend a school that no one outside their state has heard of.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 06:27:01 PM »
BTW, where did you hear this?

It doesn't appear to show up in any of the news sources online.
Have some patience, FFS.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 06:28:58 PM »
Ludum habemus.

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 07:45:42 PM »
Not surprising for any second-tier private university.

Unless they have some sort of special niche they serve, the days of most of them are numbered.  No one is going into six figures of debt to attend a school that no one outside their state has heard of.

I agree.  The switch to “university” stretched resources at Stritch.  Should have focused on cranking out education degrees. 
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 07:54:16 PM »
OUCH. 

My MU roommate's wife has been a teacher there for 10+ years.  A few years ago, she'd mentioned shutting down as a possibility, but a ~year ago, she thought the situation had stabilized.  Guess not. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 08:15:16 PM »
Closures will only go up
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 08:21:53 PM »
Closures will only go up

Same thing happened in the Bay Area with Holy Names University. A traditional nursing school that got out over its skis.

Property should be sufficient there to cover any remaining debt obligations. Unless Oakland intervenes.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 08:25:30 PM »
Same thing happened in the Bay Area with Holy Names University. A traditional nursing school that got out over its skis.

Property should be sufficient there to cover any remaining debt obligations. Unless Oakland intervenes.

I am guessing Stritch's 40 acres in Fox Point is worth some money.  Its highest and best use may involve knocking down a lot of their buildings.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 09:20:59 PM »
I am guessing Stritch's 40 acres in Fox Point is worth some money.  Its highest and best use may involve knocking down a lot of their buildings.

True .. although just a half mile south, Bayshore is constructing 300 apartments, so .. that market is somewhat saturated.    I don't see it as retail either .. maybe single-family units.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023, 12:25:17 AM »
True .. although just a half mile south, Bayshore is constructing 300 apartments, so .. that market is somewhat saturated.    I don't see it as retail either .. maybe single-family units.

Arby's Megaplex

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 06:14:00 AM »
Did MU have any discussions about taking it over? Could have picked up the land by assuming the education component , broadly defined .

Thats what Iona did with Concordia New York.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 10:58:56 AM »
Did MU have any discussions about taking it over? Could have picked up the land by assuming the education component , broadly defined .

Sometimes this can make sense (Loyola Chicago did this with Mundelein College in the 1990s), but only if there is a specific niche that the smaller university addressed that the parent university did not have. I don't really see that with Stritch and MU. MU already has a very vibrant and successful education program. I don't see it as a value add.

It might be too late but what would have made more sense to me is a Stritch-Alverno-Mount Mary merger. Combine the resources of the three tiny Milwaukee Catholic colleges to try to stay afloat.

It kinda blows my mind that Milwaukee still has TWO all-women colleges in 2023.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:05:15 PM by Coleman »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2023, 12:45:15 PM »
Heard yesterday that there’s another Wisconsin private school that doesn’t know if they are going to be able to make payroll over the summer. At this point I am less confident about more private colleges in Wisconsin surviving the next decade than I am in those who will for sure survive.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2023, 01:23:57 PM »
Heard yesterday that there’s another Wisconsin private school that doesn’t know if they are going to be able to make payroll over the summer. At this point I am less confident about more private colleges in Wisconsin surviving the next decade than I am in those who will for sure survive.

I could think of probably a dozen+ off the top of my head that wouldn't surprise me if they closed this year. I think maybe half of these schools survive the next decade:

Maranatha
Edgewood
MIAD
Northland
Marian
Alverno
Mt Mary
Viterbo
Ripon
Concordia
Lawrence
Wis Lutheran

Lakeland, Carthage, Caroll and Saint Norbert have higher enrollment than the rest so I feel a little better about those, but even those are iffy long term.

I think MSOE is safe due to the increased demand around STEM.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:28:30 PM by Coleman »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2023, 01:26:43 PM »
I could think of probably a dozen+ off the top of my head that wouldn't surprise me if they closed this year. I think maybe half of these schools survive the next decade:

Maranatha
Edgewood
MIAD
Northland
Marian
Alverno
Mt Mary
Viterbo
Ripon
Concordia
Lawrence
Carthage
Wis Lutheran

Lakeland, Caroll and Saint Norbert have higher enrollment than the rest so I feel a little better about those two, but even those are iffy long term.

So, every small college in Wisconsin?
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2023, 01:27:38 PM »
So, every small college in Wisconsin?

I updated it. There are a handful that I think are safer than others, but basically, yes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2023, 01:30:11 PM »
Lawrence, St Norbert and Carroll will be fine though Lawrence will struggle to retain their national recruiting footprint. They also have an enormous endowment for their size. My guess is Concordia will be doing OK given their academic program array.

It’s also not just about enrollment but how much that enrollment pays. And that’s really the big unknown. So many schools are paying unsustainable rates for students these days so it’s hard to tell who is doing well by enrollment.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:31:55 PM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 01:55:09 PM »
Lawrence, St Norbert and Carroll will be fine though Lawrence will struggle to retain their national recruiting footprint. They also have an enormous endowment for their size. My guess is Concordia will be doing OK given their academic program array.

LOL.  That's what she said.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2023, 12:47:19 PM »

There is a housing shortage in almost every big city.  Milwaukee is no exception.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2023, 03:50:04 PM »

Maybe Marquette can move out of the warzone it currently is in!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2023, 03:59:46 PM »
There is a housing shortage in almost every big city.  Milwaukee is no exception.

I've certainly heard that before .. but I found this interesting:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/milwaukee/2023/04/07/milwaukee-county-population-fell-most-in-wisconsin-during-pandemic/70081079007/

So .. there are 21k fewer people in Milwaukee County since 2020.

I would think that would make a huge dent in housing shortages .. figure 21k / 3 people per unit = 7000 units freed up over 3 years.

(Certainly, if a builder said they were going to create 7000 units in the county, people would tout that as a huge solution to the housing crisis.)

(Or was it 21000 homeless people, leaving the county?   ;) )

I have a feeling it's not a housing crisis .. it's greedflation, where the market is very inefficient, landlords charge high rates because why wouldn't they, and renters take what they can find, rinse, repeat.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 04:04:06 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2023, 04:03:54 PM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2023, 04:38:28 PM »
DePaul just announced a $56 million deficit for the upcoming year and is also announcing cuts

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/education/depaul-faces-566-million-deficit-plans-cuts?utm_source=afternoon-10&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20230412&utm_content=article1-headline

Thanks for nothing.  How many scoopers subscribe to Crain's Chicago Business?
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2023, 04:46:51 PM »
Thanks for nothing.  How many scoopers subscribe to Crain's Chicago Business?

I do haha

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2023, 05:11:14 PM »
https://depauliaonline.com/63719/news/faculty-decisions-made-hastily-without-collaboration-in-effort-to-close-56-5-million-gap/

What's really strange is that it is really late to realize your budget was going to be that bad. Generally you know what your returning students are going to be and how much they will pay. In my experience, you can get a good guess in the Fall assuming your recruitment looks good. Unless they missed their recruitment and retention by a ton, I don't know how they could have screwed that up so badly.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 05:14:08 PM by The Sultan of Semantics »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2023, 05:20:01 PM »
https://depauliaonline.com/63719/news/faculty-decisions-made-hastily-without-collaboration-in-effort-to-close-56-5-million-gap/

What's really strange is that it is really late to realize your budget was going to be that bad. Generally you know what your returning students are going to be and how much they will pay. In my experience, you can get a good guess in the Fall assuming your recruitment looks good. Unless they missed their recruitment and retention by a ton, I don't know how they could have screwed that up so badly.

It's DePaul.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2023, 07:07:31 AM »

This goes into way more detail than the Crains article. Thanks for sending.

I share the concern that was mentioned about administrative bloat. Why are they cutting student-facing teaching roles and not administration?

As for how this happened, Sounds like something got missed during the the transition to a new administration. That plus an enrollment decline of about 2,000 students

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2023, 07:57:49 AM »

I share the concern that was mentioned about administrative bloat. Why are they cutting student-facing teaching roles and not administration?

As for how this happened, Sounds like something got missed during the the transition to a new administration. That plus an enrollment decline of about 2,000 students

The reason you are cutting instruction is because if there are 2,000 less students, you don't need to teach as many courses. Especially your freshman level gen-ed type courses like your writing, college math, etc.  Usually those are filled with adjuncts or visiting professors which means they are on one year contracts that are easy to get out from under.

A lot of administrative divisions don't see such a decrease in demand with less students.  For instance, your finance and accounting doesn't change. Your fundraising. Your information technology (by and large).  But some do...health services, financial aid, academic advising, etc.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2023, 09:15:49 AM »

I think you answered your own question.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2023, 09:43:44 AM »

The reason you are cutting instruction is because if there are 2,000 less students, you don't need to teach as many courses. Especially your freshman level gen-ed type courses like your writing, college math, etc.  Usually those are filled with adjuncts or visiting professors which means they are on one year contracts that are easy to get out from under.

A lot of administrative divisions don't see such a decrease in demand with less students.  For instance, your finance and accounting doesn't change. Your fundraising. Your information technology (by and large).  But some do...health services, financial aid, academic advising, etc.

This is roughly analogous to a business trimming expenses where it can when sales decline and it is unlikely that they will increase in the near future. The fixed expenses-rent (or mortgage), loan servicing, utilities (although there may be some reduction of expenses here), finance and accounting (as you pointed out), etc. simply cannot easily be reduced. Near me, Sweetbriar College was rescued by some very wealthy alumnae determined to keep SBC from closing. Otherwise, the college would have closed as planned due largely to steadily decreased enrollment. The numbers simply were not working. Harsh but true. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2023, 09:48:23 AM »
From that article ..

“Bad financial decisions have been made in the past,” Curran said. “…We build new buildings, we spend a lot of money on athletics.”

It'd be amusing to see the chart that had enrollment vs. employment .. and add data points on Big East wins/year.   Lagging indicator?   ;)

DePaul University's reputation beyond Chicago is definitely painted due to their basketball futility, probably in the negative ROI zone.

I agree with the quandary about how did they get surprised so bad.  It's not like their freshman class was suddenly -50%. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2023, 09:49:28 AM »
My bigger question for a decade has been is MU planning to decrease student count and increase scholarships.  These have to be top priorities? Beyond building in my opinion.   

They seem to be doing it on the scholarship side. It seems to me that they have expanded the scholarship amounts a lot recently - no insider info - just what I’ve seen in limited cases I know about.

On the size, people in the know on this board have pushed back in the past and have said the plan is more students, or at least not downsizing. That has made and continues to make no sense to me. Can’t do it with the demographics etc, unless the scholarship money increases a lot more - I doubt that is happening. Getting smaller has to be part of the short and long term plan.  That would also decrease acceptance rates or at least not make them worse.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2023, 10:44:11 AM »
My bigger question for a decade has been is MU planning to decrease student count and increase scholarships.  These have to be top priorities? Beyond building in my opinion.   

They seem to be doing it on the scholarship side. It seems to me that they have expanded the scholarship amounts a lot recently - no insider info - just what I’ve seen in limited cases I know about.

On the size, people in the know on this board have pushed back in the past and have said the plan is more students, or at least not downsizing. That has made and continues to make no sense to me. Can’t do it with the demographics etc, unless the scholarship money increases a lot more - I doubt that is happening. Getting smaller has to be part of the short and long term plan.  That would also decrease acceptance rates or at least not make them worse.

Agree with everything you say here. Increasing enrollment would, by definition, mean lowering standards, considering the number of graduating high school seniors is going to continue to decrease over the next 10-15 years. Keeping enrollment stable is a great goal but I'm not sure how realistic. Preparing for a decline of 5-10% enrollment over the next ten years, with regards to expenses, would be the prudent thing to do. If enrollment stays stable, MU's position will be all the better. If you plan now using natural attrition and minimizing hiring as much as possible, you won't need to lay off down the road.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2023, 11:16:20 AM »
I think Marquette is focusing on recruiting to programs in business, engineering and nursing where students are paying more in net tuition than they would in arts and sciences and communication.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2023, 01:39:49 PM »
I think Marquette is focusing on recruiting to programs in business, engineering and nursing where students are paying more in net tuition than they would in arts and sciences and communication.

ROI has finally found its way to Higher Education.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2023, 04:41:15 PM »

This
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2023, 10:34:02 PM »
ROI has finally found its way to Higher Education.

There’s no “finally” about it. For years, schools like North Carolina and Virginia have worked hard to bring in out-of-state students, who pay significantly higher tuition than in-state.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2023, 08:51:45 AM »
There’s no “finally” about it. For years, schools like North Carolina and Virginia have worked hard to bring in out-of-state students, who pay significantly higher tuition than in-state.

Yep. Virginia is chock full of small colleges and most have survived by being proactive. However, there have been some casualties. Realistically, I think most of the survivors are simply buying time.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2023, 07:24:39 AM »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2023, 08:08:15 AM »
DePaul planning cuts to deal with $56 million budget shortfall.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/education/depaul-university-20230416-l4okl27cgvd4hb62dthd2q7rve-story.html

I think President Manuel is the genius who made a statement early in his tenure that men's bball should not receive too much money from DP "at the expense of the other sports" or words to that effect. He simply did not understand the economic value of men's bball and its ability to increase enrollment. Instead of recognizing men's bball's value, he blew it off.

Like in business, there are two ways of successfully handling financial problems, and more often than not, it is really a combination of the two. A) Cut expenses B) Increase (profitable) revenue. Simply cutting expenses is too often just a way of hanging on for a while. It would not surprise me if Manuel heads DP in this direction. He impresses me as a small thinker.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2023, 02:51:46 PM »
I think President Manuel is the genius who made a statement early in his tenure that men's bball should not receive too much money from DP "at the expense of the other sports" or words to that effect. He simply did not understand the economic value of men's bball and its ability to increase enrollment. Instead of recognizing men's bball's value, he blew it off.

Like in business, there are two ways of successfully handling financial problems, and more often than not, it is really a combination of the two. A) Cut expenses B) Increase (profitable) revenue. Simply cutting expenses is too often just a way of hanging on for a while. It would not surprise me if Manuel heads DP in this direction. He impresses me as a small thinker.

Manuel has only been the President for just under a year.  The previous President arrived in 2017.  I think it was Holtschnieder (something like that) who was the President when they joined the BE up till 2017.  He and JLP, the AD who basically said “who cares about MBB, we are good at softball, soccer, and other sports!” That set it all ablaze

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2023, 06:52:11 AM »
Marian University facing “enrollment emergency.” Cutting multiple programs.

https://www.radioplusinfo.com/2023/04/13/4-13-23-marian-university-enrollment-emergency/

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2023, 07:38:27 AM »
Manuel has only been the President for just under a year.  The previous President arrived in 2017.  I think it was Holtschnieder (something like that) who was the President when they joined the BE up till 2017.  He and JLP, the AD who basically said “who cares about MBB, we are good at softball, soccer, and other sports!” That set it all ablaze

Thanks for the correction. So I had the wrong name, but the "who cares about MBB" was right. It amazes me that a university president (and especially an ignorant AD) could be so clueless and make statements to that effect. I do not envy university presidents having to struggle with today's financial challenges-especially private U's-but damn! If they cannot understand how men's bball works financially, I do not have much hope that they can solve the overall financial problems.

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2023, 07:47:07 AM »
Thanks for the correction. So I had the wrong name, but the "who cares about MBB" was right. It amazes me that a university president (and especially an ignorant AD) could be so clueless and make statements to that effect. I do not envy university presidents having to struggle with today's financial challenges-especially private U's-but damn! If they cannot understand how men's bball works financially, I do not have much hope that they can solve the overall financial problems.

Dennis Holschneider was considered a pretty successful president.  Probably the only thing that didn't go well during his tenure was the men's basketball program.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2023, 08:33:59 AM »

Dennis Holschneider was considered a pretty successful president.  Probably the only thing that didn't go well during his tenure was the men's basketball program.

OK. You are certainly in a perfect position to judge. Pardon my rant on presidents, but it just seems that all too often they have a problem with reality. 

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2023, 08:51:06 AM »
OK. You are certainly in a perfect position to judge. Pardon my rant on presidents, but it just seems that all too often they have a problem with reality. 

To be honest, its a job with a lot of conflicting priorities and on-the-job training.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2023, 09:58:26 AM »

And to his defense, that probably had a lot to do with leaning on the input and advice of the long time AD, who was a joke as well.

He was President when they nuked the prestige and reputation of their MBA program for quick bucks, but I'm not sure how much he was personally involved with that decision making.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2023, 08:24:40 PM »

So MU is not a destination for a degree  (undergrad or grad) in chemistry, the life sciences, math or computer science.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 08:28:08 PM by muwarrior69 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2023, 10:42:56 PM »
i have heard nothing but accolades for MU's PT department.  this is from one of a few-

a very good friend of mine's son suffered a brutal spinal cord injury about 2 years ago.  he is essentially a quadriplegic with some very limited movements with his arms/hands.  after using a number of PT  locations, he has settled in on MU and makes a 30 mile drive numerous times per week.  he believes MU along with the help of some docs may someday restore some of his 23 year old son's mobility.   
don't...don't don't don't don't

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2023, 04:47:06 AM »
i have heard nothing but accolades for MU's PT department.  this is from one of a few-

a very good friend of mine's son suffered a brutal spinal cord injury about 2 years ago.  he is essentially a quadriplegic with some very limited movements with his arms/hands.  after using a number of PT  locations, he has settled in on MU and makes a 30 mile drive numerous times per week.  he believes MU along with the help of some docs may someday restore some of his 23 year old son's mobility.   

They use to or still have a good Medical Technology department. I also remember fellow students majoring in speech therapy as well.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2023, 05:24:34 AM »
They use to or still have a good Medical Technology department. I also remember fellow students majoring in speech therapy as well.

given the fact that MU does have good and/or a demand for fields in the health sciences including nursing, dentistry, PT, med tech and speech tx., etc., wouldn't it behoove them to preempt that with showing support with strong departments in the health sciences.  i'm not sure about more cost efficient alternatives...

back in our good ole warrior days, i felt by beginning my studies at MU and majoring in biology, it would increase my chances and give me an advantage to getting in to MUSOD.  not to mention it was where i wanted to go anyway   UW-parkside, on the other hand also had a very good program in the sciences as well; my dental school class had 3 or 4 admits from there.  the  savings had to be notable.  my only regret was that i would have liked to have majored in a study within the biological field itself.  i understand how that can be more prohibitive and limiting at a school such as MU
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2023, 07:39:43 AM »
So MU is not a destination for a degree  (undergrad or grad) in chemistry, the life sciences, math or computer science.

Here is their page that shows their current majors.  Plenty of A&S majors there.

https://www.marquette.edu/institutional-research-analysis/interactive-reports/major-dash.php

https://www.marquette.edu/institutional-research-analysis/interactive-reports/major-dash.php

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2023, 11:10:19 AM »

Here is their page that shows their current majors.  Plenty of A&S majors there.

Are tuition costs really higher for the business majors than the Chemistry, Life Science or Biomedical majors? Why would Marquette focus recruiting on the Business, Engineering and Nursing disciplines and not the STEM majors.

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2023, 11:19:51 AM »
Are tuition costs really higher for the business majors than the Chemistry, Life Science or Biomedical majors? Why would Marquette focus recruiting on the Business, Engineering and Nursing disciplines and not the STEM majors.

It's not that Marquette charges more - I don't know if they do or not. But students in those majors in general will PAY more.  (IOW, be willing to attend the school with a smaller scholarship package.)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2023, 11:26:04 AM »

MU is a destination for Engineering, Health Sciences (nursing, PT, speech path, etc.), Dentistry, and to a lesser extent, Business and Law.

It has some respectable programs in A&S, especially at the graduate level, but I would not think of it as a destination. I say this as someone who graduated from A&S

It doesn't tell the whole story, but take a look at buildings: Weir Chemistry and Life Sciences buildings are decrepit. Business, Engineering, and Dentistry have state of the art buildings, and Nursing is getting a fully renovated Straz.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 11:33:40 AM by Coleman »

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2023, 11:38:07 AM »
MU is a destination for Engineering, Health Sciences (nursing, PT, speech path, etc.), Dentistry, and to a lesser extent, Business and Law.

It has some respectable programs in A&S, especially at the graduate level, but I would not think of it as a destination. I say this as someone who graduated from A&S

It doesn't tell the whole story, but take a look at buildings: Weir Chemistry and Life Sciences buildings are decrepit. Business, Engineering, and Dentistry have state of the art buildings, and Nursing is getting a fully renovated Straz.

And Lalumier probably looks the same as when I first graced its halls 37 years ago.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2023, 11:56:59 AM »

So where are all the Biomedical science majors taking classes, since it appears to be the top major?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2023, 12:52:52 PM »

And Lalumier probably looks the same as when I first graced its halls 37 years ago.

Lalumier's ceiling was perpetually leaking when I had classes there 15 years ago. Our classroom always had a bucket with water dripping.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 01:50:56 PM by Coleman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2023, 12:54:06 PM »
So where are all the Biomedical science majors taking classes, since it appears to be the top major?

Biomedical Sciences is in the College of Health Sciences, not A&S. Not sure where they have classes, but I assume it is in similar facilities as Speech Path, PT, etc. Back in my day most of these programs were in Schroeder Complex. That may have changed. They may have a couple prerequisite classes in one of the Wehr buildings. I have no idea. 

Biomedical Sciences is more or less MU's name for Pre-Med and Pre-Dent
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 12:58:35 PM by Coleman »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2023, 02:02:32 PM »
Biomedical Sciences is in the College of Health Sciences, not A&S. Not sure where they have classes, but I assume it is in similar facilities as Speech Path, PT, etc. Back in my day most of these programs were in Schroeder Complex. That may have changed. They may have a couple prerequisite classes in one of the Wehr buildings. I have no idea. 

Biomedical Sciences is more or less MU's name for Pre-Med and Pre-Dent

Back in my day all the pre-meds and pre-dents took all the same classes as I did as a double major in chemistry and biology.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2023, 03:18:29 PM »

20 years ago, wehr chemistry, wehr life sciences, health sciences building, nursing building... etc.

Everyone was quite spread out

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2023, 03:19:56 PM »
Back in my day all the pre-meds and pre-dents took all the same classes as I did as a double major in chemistry and biology.

I'm sure some are the same now. I'm sure some are different. Curricula changes.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2023, 08:49:17 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2023, 09:12:59 AM »
Any versatile 6'9 forwards among them?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2023, 09:15:56 AM »
Marquette circling the transfers...

https://today.marquette.edu/2023/04/marquette-offers-support-to-cardinal-stritch-community/

Interesting to see if they will match financial aid. That is often the hang up with these things.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2023, 11:07:00 AM »

Coleman

• All American

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2023, 11:37:54 AM »
Interesting to see if they will match financial aid. That is often the hang up with these things.

It looks like a yes.

https://www.marquette.edu/admissions/cardinal-stritch.php

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2023, 11:45:58 AM »
It looks like a yes.

https://www.marquette.edu/admissions/cardinal-stritch.php

Excellent. Not all schools would be willing to do this.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2023, 12:47:58 PM »
Marquette circling the transfers...

https://today.marquette.edu/2023/04/marquette-offers-support-to-cardinal-stritch-community/

Great, this will probably increase our acceptance rate.

In all seriousness, this is cool of MU to do.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2023, 01:28:49 PM »
Step one pick up as many students as possible. Hopefully step two acquire the property.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2023, 01:57:53 PM »
Step one pick up as many students as possible. Hopefully step two acquire the property.

Why would Marquette have interest in the property? Most of the buildings are pretty old and have a ton of deferred maintenance needs.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2023, 02:08:28 PM »

Why would Marquette have interest in the property? Most of the buildings are pretty old and have a ton of deferred maintenance needs.

Yeah and its pretty far away from MU. I don't see the appeal of a property in Fox Point.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2023, 03:07:16 PM »
The Cardinal Stritch property .. will be snapped up by developers, not MU.

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2023, 03:18:14 PM »

And will likely benefit the Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi who sponsor Stritch and is shrinking and aging like most of these orders.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2023, 03:21:50 PM »

Marquette could build a state of the art football facility there
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2023, 05:42:52 PM »
Marquette could build a state of the art football facility there