[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Thoughts and Prayers  (Read 2756 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Thoughts and Prayers
« on: April 10, 2023, 10:04:32 AM »
Needed in Louisville.  They've proven to stop the issues in the past, so lets offer them up.  It's not the guns, it's the people and mental health.  So let's oust some democrats from the House and let's pray for and think about these victims and their loved ones.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
Re: Thoughts and Prayers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 10:10:49 AM »
Thoughts and prayers, as well, to the families of the police officers in northwest Wisconsin.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 10:16:09 AM »
Needed in Louisville.  They've proven to stop the issues in the past, so lets offer them up.  It's not the guns, it's the people and mental health.  So let's oust some democrats from the House and let's pray for and think about these victims and their loved ones.

132nd mass shooting this year. There is absolutely nothing that could possibly be done about this, despite the U.S. being the only place this happens on a near daily basis, so we shouldn't even try.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Mucubfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 10:22:12 AM »
What we need are armed security guards at banks. That would have stopped this.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 10:55:57 AM »
Thoughts and prayers, as well, to the families of the police officers in northwest Wisconsin.

This one is close to my parents' hometown. The notion that a police officer in Cameron or Chetek is going to go to work on a Saturday morning and get shot at in a traffic stop is a chilling reminder that evil is everywhere. You train and train for every possible consideration as a police officer but some things are just not predictable. You get so use to pulling people over that you let your guard down, which is what I suspect happened.

I get that police/community relations are not always what they should be, but it is incidents like this that push officers further and further away from the people they are meant to serve.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 11:23:42 AM »
The notion that a police officer in Cameron or Chetek is going to go to work on a Saturday morning and get shot at in a traffic stop is a chilling reminder that evil is GUNS are everywhere.

FIFY

Another predictable victory for guns! Another devastating loss for mankind.

Isn't there some random black lawmaker we can kick out of office to fix this?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 11:25:43 AM by Jockey »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 11:33:12 AM »
I just hope the Kentucky legislature fixes this by expelling a couple of members.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 11:45:35 AM »
As I plan to move self and family back to the states after living many years in places where crime is illegal (Yes, there are several countries in this category - like Singapore and the UAE), I have two concerns:
- Idiots with guns
- Idiots with guns and badges
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 12:01:49 PM »
As I plan to move self and family back to the states after living many years in places where crime is illegal (Yes, there are several countries in this category - like Singapore and the UAE), I have two concerns:
- Idiots with guns
- Idiots with guns and badges

Ah yes, Singapore and the UAE.  Both renowned for their judicial systems, due process, and fairness.  🤡

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 12:09:46 PM »
What about Chicago
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 12:18:31 PM »
We've been doing this all wrong.

Gotta stop with the thoughts ... and just go with prayers and more prayers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 02:03:20 PM »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 02:43:44 PM »
Gang

Before we become political, let’s make sure we understand what happened. I think there are lots of people still trying to understand this.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2023, 02:45:51 PM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 03:09:49 PM »
Gang

Before we become political, let’s make sure we understand what happened. I think there are lots of people still trying to understand this.
Let's Understand What Happened, Edition 132.

An unhappy dude with a gun murdered a bunch of people. That's what happened.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Mucubfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 03:09:54 PM »
Gang

Honestly, there is nothing political about saying that thoughts and prayers are not enough to curb gun violence.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2023, 03:14:46 PM »
It's just a mental-health issue, and Kentucky powers-that-be already are doing all they can for the state's mental health by enacting hateful anti-LGBTQ laws.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2023, 03:24:53 PM »
It's just a mental-health issue, and Kentucky powers-that-be already are doing all they can for the state's mental health by enacting hateful anti-LGBTQ laws.

I hope they consider some book bans as well. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2023, 03:54:36 PM »
Gang

A person was hurting, angry, aggrieved about something.   They decided the answer to their pain was to kill others and inflict as much pain as they could before having their pain ended.   They found a tool with which to accomplish this efficiently.

What did I miss?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2023, 04:08:28 PM »
A person was hurting, angry, aggrieved about something.   They decided the answer to their pain was to kill others and inflict as much pain as they could before having their pain ended.   They found a tool with which to accomplish this efficiently.

What did I miss?

Lots of subtle ridicule of Republicans for one thing.

My point was that until we know who did the killing, what prompted the killing and whether the assailant was permitted to have a firearm -- as well as what type of firearm it was -- it's senseless to cast blame and propose yet another solution.

That will come in time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2023, 04:21:42 PM »
If I were to ridicule anyone or anything, it would be the cult of gun worship that has led to this.    Led to the notion that using a gun to inflict pain and death on others with a gun is a worthy balm for the shooters' pain.   I don't blame a party for that.    I blame a flawed ethos for that.   

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2023, 04:24:29 PM »

My point was that until we know who did the killing, what prompted the killing and whether the assailant was permitted to have a firearm -- as well as what type of firearm it was -- it's senseless to cast blame and propose yet another solution.

That will come in time.

I didn’t think I was subtle at all.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2023, 04:33:58 PM »
The shooter in NW Wisconsin had publicly stated he wanted to kill police officers.   Going through a contentious divorce.   Previously pled down assault charges to misdemeanors. Skipped a court date.  Driving  around with guns in his car.

Like all the rest, hurting, angry, aggrieved, who thought using guns to kill and inflict pain on others was the answer.

Where does that thought process come from?   What kind of flawed thinking? 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2023, 04:40:00 PM »

That will come in time.
Yes, yes, just like the previous 131 times this year alone, it's far too early to make any sense of this. What could it possibly be? How could anyone possibly know! We'd best just do some investigation of the situation--let's not act too hastily!-- until tomorrow when we'll likely be able to forget all about this one and have a new instance that will require long, detailed study before we can possibly determine if there is anything we could do.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2023, 05:00:50 PM »

I disagree but since you asked.

The police are reporting that the shooter was 23 year old White Male who worked at the bank where the shooting took place. The shooter was recently informed that he was going to be fired and the working theory is that the shooting was in retribution for his termination. As of now, no one has reported any previous run ins with law enforcement for the shooter.

Anyone with a gun is a "good guy with a gun" until they're not.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2023, 05:04:19 PM »
If I were to ridicule anyone or anything, it would be the cult of gun worship that has led to this.    Led to the notion that using a gun to inflict pain and death on others with a gun is a worthy balm for the shooters' pain.   I don't blame a party for that.    I blame a flawed ethos for that.

This is a fine start, tower. But don't stop here. Ask yourself who stands to profit from this ethos. Who benefits from a culture that suggests all of life's problems can be solved with a gun? Who gains from persuading Americans that their freedom, safety and masculinity is dependent upon firearms?
And once you answer those questions, ask yourself who in government assists and advocates for those interests.
And then, after doing all that, tell us that no party is to blame.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2023, 05:07:53 PM »
Yup.  A good guy with a gun until he was angry, aggrieved, hurt.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2023, 05:51:39 PM »
This is a fine start, tower. But don't stop here. Ask yourself who stands to profit from this ethos. Who benefits from a culture that suggests all of life's problems can be solved with a gun? Who gains from persuading Americans that their freedom, safety and masculinity is dependent upon firearms?
And once you answer those questions, ask yourself who in government assists and advocates for those interests.
And then, after doing all that, tell us that no party is to blame.
The deaths are worth it as long as we enjoy the freedoms guns provide.

That is the attitude of the cult.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2023, 09:13:16 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTmCxbcRXs4

Just going to repost this everytime we get a thread going on the latest killing spree that we continue to allow to happen.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2023, 09:19:43 AM »
Push to ban football or shhhhhh.

The kid played bball with a damn helmet. Bad football brain trauma.

This likely could have been prevented by banning football.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2023, 09:22:31 AM »

It’s Kentucky.  They’ll ban books

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2023, 09:45:38 AM »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2023, 09:54:42 AM »

I know you are joking but somehow this isn't the stupidest thing I've seen Republicans blame for gun deaths.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2023, 12:16:13 PM »
I know you are joking but somehow this isn't the stupidest thing I've seen Republicans blame for gun deaths.

I don't think he is joking.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2023, 12:22:22 PM »
Sadly, he's not joking. This is the best argument he can muster.

You know, people voluntarily playing a sport that has known risks is really, really just like mass murders happening more than once per day across the country.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 12:24:34 PM by TSmith34, Inc. »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2023, 12:42:49 PM »
Congrats to Chicago on getting a national convention.  Thankfully the city only averages a couple of murders per day!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2023, 12:50:38 PM »
Here's some good clean fun ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/04/11/sig-sauer-p320-fires-on-own/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F39ae94a%2F6435808453816d1ce09a9176%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F8%2F72%2F6435808453816d1ce09a9176&wp_cu=b1005792a416de1fbe1f17e5cf366b7d%7CB1FF71CA724A36FAE0530100007F88D6

The P320 is one of the nation’s most popular handguns. A variant of the weapon is the standard-issue sidearm for every branch of the U.S. military. Since its introduction to the commercial market in 2014, manufacturer SIG Sauer has sold the P320 to hundreds of thousands of civilians, and the gun has been used by officers at more than a thousand law enforcement agencies across the nation, court records show.

It has also gruesomely injured scores of people who say the gun has a potentially deadly defect.

More than 100 people allege that their P320 pistols discharged when they did not pull the trigger, an eight-month investigation by The Washington Post and The Trace has found. At least 80 people were wounded in the shootings, which date to 2016.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2023, 12:57:48 PM »
Congrats to Chicago on getting a national convention.  Thankfully the city only averages a couple of murders per day!

Obviously not enough guns out there to keep people safe.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2023, 01:16:53 PM »

Finally.  Someone asks “what about Chicago”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2023, 01:23:45 PM »
Should start 'deflection buzzword bingo' after the next one.     

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2023, 01:40:16 PM »
Finally.  Someone asks “what about Chicago”
And again he somehow imagines this is a winning argument for unfettered access to guns.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2023, 02:10:26 PM »

As a man who is obsessed with statistics, I'm shocked you didn't mention that Chicago is #10 for per capita murder rate.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2023, 03:03:10 PM »
As a man who is obsessed with statistics, I'm shocked you didn't mention that Chicago is #10 for per capita murder rate.

Don't be shocked. He knew. But it isn't a good look for him that 7 of the top 8 cities with the highest murder rate are in states with red governors.

Truth/facts suck.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2023, 03:25:23 PM »
"But it's not just mass shootings that guns are being used to kill people!  People in Chicago are killing other people with guns every night!"

Well that's some great evidence proving there's no gun problem in America!  No wonder BeeJay acts so much smarter than everyone else.  Dude's playing chess while we're all playing checkers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2023, 05:20:15 PM »
Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee on Tuesday signed an executive order aimed at strengthening background checks for firearm purchases, in addition to calling for lawmakers to pass an order of protection law to keep guns away from people who present a danger to themselves or others.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/04/11/tennessee-gov-bill-lee-calls-for-order-of-protection-law-on-guns/70102868007/

"I’m asking the General Assembly to bring forward an order of protection law," Lee told reporters at a police precinct in Nashville. "A new, strong order of protection law will provide the broader population cover, safety, from those who are a danger to themselves or the population."

“This is our moment to lead and to give the people of Tennessee what they deserve," Lee said.

The executive order sets a 72-hour period for reporting new criminal activity and court mental health information to the Tennessee Instant Check System, the background check system operated by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. The order also directs the TBI to issue a report in two months to Lee's office and the General Assembly on "any barriers to complete, accurate, and timely reporting of information that is accessible in TICS."

“The existing background-check process for purchasing a firearm only works when there is accurate and timely information that's available,” Lee said.

Four days after the Covenant shooting, the deadliest school shooting in state history, Lee told The Tennessean he believes people who are a danger to themselves or to others should not have access to weapons, a position he reiterated a few days later when announcing a slate of school safety measures with Republican legislative leaders.

This is a governor who had opposed just about any call for gun-safety measures. But then there was the shooting in a religious school in his state's largest city. And then there was pressure from his constituents, and then there was the absurd canceling of two Black state reps after they joined a gun-safety protest.

So here he is, proposing something that could actually help. It's not enough, but at least it's an effort and, hopefully, the beginning of a conversation.

We'll see if the state legislature -- filled with good ol' boys who loves them some guns -- follows Lee's lead, or if they shoot down their own far-right governor's attempt to save a life or two.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2023, 06:46:53 PM »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2023, 08:57:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1645608004430225408?s=46&t=QSiaGcOIKZrrpw0ciZkI5Q

Time to put safer doors on cars

Hunting children in Florida is legal now? Deer and crocodiles aren't enough?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2023, 09:23:24 PM »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2023, 09:35:36 PM »
Guns don't kill people, bullets do!  Ban bullets, not Constitutionally protected.  ;D

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2023, 09:36:34 PM »
Or put the kids in the trunk to keep them safe.

Very preventable if only the kids were armed.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2023, 09:52:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1645608004430225408?s=46&t=QSiaGcOIKZrrpw0ciZkI5Q

Time to put safer doors on cars

Parents who don’t put their kids in flak jackets in the back seat are negligent, irresponsible POS people.  My 6 month old already has Bluey themed Kevlar ready to go when we turn to him facing forward

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2023, 09:56:45 PM »
Parents who don’t put their kids in flak jackets in the back seat are negligent, irresponsible POS people.  My 6 month old already has Bluey themed Kevlar ready to go when we turn to him facing forward

Don't be ridiculous, Wags. Just buy him an AR-15.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2023, 10:18:19 PM »
Saw on the news tonight .. 1 in 5 Americans have had a "family member" killed by a gun.  (1 in 3 for Black Americans.)

Check my math, but on the plus side, 80% of us have not, so we've got that going for us.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2023, 10:50:54 PM »

Million dollar idea. Bulletproof car seat with a bulletproof zip over cover.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2023, 11:50:43 PM »
Saw on the news tonight .. 1 in 5 Americans have had a "family member" killed by a gun.  (1 in 3 for Black Americans.)

Check my math, but on the plus side, 80% of us have not, so we've got that going for us.

#FakeNews #Lies

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2023, 07:58:32 AM »
Very preventable if only the kids were armed.

Good point.  More guns = more safety. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2023, 08:26:35 AM »
Good point.  More guns = more safety.

The lack of people carrying weapons is highly disturbing

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2023, 08:46:12 AM »
What about Chicago

Well, if the people keep electing the same incompetent buffoons who run a campaign on hatred and race, nothing will change and subsequently they deserve what they get, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2023, 08:52:04 AM »

Well, if the people keep electing the same incompetent buffoons who run a campaign on hatred and race, nothing will change and subsequently they deserve what they get, hey?
Yes. Yes indeed.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2023, 08:52:59 AM »

I can’t tell if this is intentionally, hysterically hypocritical or if it’s just an accident.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2023, 08:54:43 AM »
Michael Che has come up with the answer...

Have trans people do ads for guns.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2023, 08:56:48 AM »

We agree.  We may disagree, however, about who the incompetent buffoons campaigning on hatred and race are.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2023, 09:23:15 AM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2023, 09:26:29 AM »

Excellent point.

- The murder rate in the 25 states that voted for Donald Trump has exceeded the murder rate in the 25 states that voted for Joe Biden in every year from 2000 to 2020.
- Over this 21-year span, this Red State murder gap has steadily widened from a low of 9% more per capita red state murders in 2003 and 2004 to 44% more per capita red state murders in 2019, before settling back to 43% in 2020.
- Altogether, the per capita Red State murder rate was 23% higher than the Blue State murder rate when all 21 years were combined.
- If Blue State murder rates were as high as Red State murder rates, Biden-voting states would have suffered over 45,000 more murders between 2000 and 2020.
- Even when murders in the largest cities in red states are removed, overall murder rates in Trump-voting states were 12% higher than Biden-voting states across this 21-year period and were higher in 18 of the 21 years observed.

https://www.thirdway.org/report/the-two-decade-red-state-murder-problem