[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by willie warrior
[Today at 12:45:02 PM]

MU Gear by Hards Alumni
[Today at 12:18:52 PM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: % of Scoopers that can/could dunk?  (Read 3572 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
% of Scoopers that can/could dunk?
« on: April 05, 2023, 09:56:38 PM »
I tried as hard as I could in my prime but  wasn't really close.  It's tough being 5'4.  Anyway, what is our dunk % here?

wadesworld

• All American
Re: % of Scoopers that can/could dunk?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 10:01:51 PM »
0.01%. Ners.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 10:03:22 PM »
0.01%. Ners.

No one then?  I find that hard to believe. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 10:05:17 PM »
I'd guess slightly under 1%. A little higher than the average population, because we probably have more former players on here.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 10:10:01 PM »
I'd guess slightly under 1%. A little higher than the average population, because we probably have more former players on here.

Which NBA guy had the highest vert?  Spud had a legitimate '47.  I've heard D. Thompson had a '48 but I'm not sure it's verified.  Mannigault by all accounts had a '50-52. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 11:15:48 PM »
Which NBA guy had the highest vert?  Spud had a legitimate '47.  I've heard D. Thompson had a '48 but I'm not sure it's verified.  Mannigault by all accounts had a '50-52.

Don’t be silly. No one has a 50” vertical.

I also don’t get the obsession with dunking. I was a decent athlete - nothing great - but at 6’2.5” dunking is not a great accomplishment.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2023, 06:05:39 AM »
You can just make a poll, you know.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2023, 06:16:58 AM »
If you can’t dunk, you don’t know ball
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2023, 07:18:42 AM »
Not to brag, but I was playing one on one with a neighbor and dunked on his punk *ss this past weekend. Teach that first grader to mess with those that know ball. Easily skied on that 6 ft rim. ;D

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2023, 07:33:04 AM »
Not to brag, but I was playing one on one with a neighbor and dunked on his punk *ss this past weekend. Teach that first grader to mess with those that know ball. Easily skied on that 6 ft rim. ;D

Also not to brag, but I had the most beautiful air ball that anyone ever saw. Sometimes the ball gently swished the outside of the net, leaving anyone watching astounded by my shot. Their mouths were agape after seeing that I could shoot that air ball again and again.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2023, 07:48:15 AM »
As an aside, why the hell would anyone dunk their doughnuts in coffee? Ruins a perfectly good doughnut, and a perfectly good cup of coffee.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2023, 08:20:56 AM »
With my accuracy, I was  the worst nightmare of whomever was sitting on the perch at the dunk tank.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2023, 08:42:18 AM »

One-handed or two?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 08:52:34 AM »
As an aside, why the hell would anyone dunk their doughnuts in coffee? Ruins a perfectly good doughnut, and a perfectly good cup of coffee.

Word.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2023, 08:53:16 AM »
On my best day, I could grab the rim...barely.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2023, 08:55:36 AM »

Thank you! Never understood that one
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2023, 09:16:59 AM »
I'm 6' but small hands, so I could dunk a woman's ball until about age 22.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2023, 09:18:07 AM »
I'm 6' but small hands, so I could dunk a woman's ball until about age 22.

Sweet!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2023, 09:18:58 AM »
Thank you! Never understood that one

It's idiotic.  The 🍩 is also a stupid invention. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2023, 09:23:51 AM »

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2023, 09:30:32 AM »
Always had your back Muggsy, but you are dead to me now. You clearly have not had a good doughnut.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2023, 09:31:04 AM »

You can dunk manatee into coffee
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2023, 09:32:18 AM »

Allegedly, the donut was invented when a cook on a ship served fried dough to the sailors and the dough in the center was not fully cooked, resulting in some sailors getting really sick. The hole in the center solved the problem after that, and the cook did not have to walk the plank.

Also, people who eat donuts as kids grow up to be taller as adults than those who do not.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 09:34:17 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2023, 09:41:32 AM »

I also don’t get the obsession with dunking. I was a decent athlete - nothing great - but at 6’2.5” dunking is not a great accomplishment.

Agreed, true highlight dunking is awesome, but just the "barely get it in one handed" is just whatever.  I had an assistant coach in youth basketball, a teammate's father, who was probably 6'4.  Every couple of practices at the end, he'd take a running start from mid court and get up and barely stuff a one hander.  Some kids without fail would lose their minds every time.  It was kind of amusing in retrospect.  I'm just shy of 5'11 and could grab rim once I started doing lower body workouts in my early 20s.  That was cool.  Beats the 6'7 guy I knew in college who based a ton of his personality (and terrible game with girls) with being tall...but couldn't dunk.

Also agree with all the Muggsy opposition when it comes to donuts.  They are amazing when done well.  Nothing better than a donut with a great K Cup.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2023, 09:44:35 AM »
Allegedly, the donut was invented when a cook on a ship served fried dough to the sailors and the dough in the center was not fully cooked, resulting in some sailors getting really sick. The hole in the center solved the problem after that, and the cook did not have to walk the plank.

Also, people who eat donuts as kids grow up to be taller as adults than those who do not.

You just made up that last sentence.  We will never truly be free Scoop Snoop until our shorter citizens are treated with respect. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2023, 09:48:28 AM »
There are a dozen or more fried dough things or pastries that are vastly superior to 🍩.  It's not close. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2023, 09:56:58 AM »
You just made up that last sentence.  We will never truly be free Scoop Snoop until our shorter citizens are treated with respect.

I thought the key word was diminutive. And no, I did not make it up. There have been numerous scientifically controlled university studies from all over the world that prove what I wrote. Just trust me on this Muggsy, OK? I can't find the studies at the moment. 

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2023, 10:01:47 AM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2023, 10:06:19 AM »
I thought the key word was diminutive. And no, I did not make it up. There have been numerous scientifically controlled university studies from all over the world that prove what I wrote. Just trust me on this Muggsy, OK? I can't find the studies at the moment.

Uh-Huh. There are however studies that people who suffer from anxiety do live longer

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2023, 10:41:10 AM »

The statement seems legit to me. I ate donuts growing up, and I am taller than 6' and could dunk. Seems like eating donuts as a kid makes you taller and more likely to be able to dunk.

Also, I eat fewer donuts now, and am shrinking and can't dunk anymore. Seems like confirmation by scientific experiment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2023, 12:53:31 PM »
There are a dozen or more fried dough things or pastries that are vastly superior to 🍩.  It's not close.

Well, I will say that I prefer a good apple fritter to just an ordinary everyday donut. But I've also had a few incredible donuts that are superior.

As for dunking ... when I lived in suburban Minneapolis I had a friend who worked at the Y and, after hours, he'd sometimes lower the rims to 8 1/2 feet and we'd get 6-8 folks and play full court. It always turned into a dunk-a-thon. Good fun for a bunch of vertically challenged guys.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2023, 01:59:21 PM »
Uh-Huh. There are however studies that people who suffer from anxiety do live longer
But those without anxiety just don't give af
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2023, 02:23:37 PM »
Well, I will say that I prefer a good apple fritter to just an ordinary everyday donut. But I've also had a few incredible donuts that are superior.

I agree completely. And buttermilk bars.

There's a donut place along the MD/DE/NJ shore called The Fractured Prune that is outstanding.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2023, 02:29:39 PM »

Yeah. That's only because they drive everyone around them so crazy with their effin' anxieties that they commit suicide. Otherwise, calm, rational people would live longer. Nice goin' Muggs.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2023, 05:44:01 PM »
Yeah. That's only because they drive everyone around them so crazy with their effin' anxieties that they commit suicide. Otherwise, calm, rational people would live longer. Nice goin' Muggs.

Nope.  It's because we're more prone to seek help from doctors and ask a few questions. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2023, 06:12:09 PM »
Nope.  It's because we're more prone to seek help from doctors and ask a few questions.

I DO get the "seeking help" part.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2023, 06:22:19 PM »
I DO get the "seeking help" part.

Driving people crazy relaxes me a little bit.  :)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2023, 07:00:11 PM »
Scoopers dunking

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2023, 07:31:14 PM »

How many NBA Hall of Famers could not dunk Jockey?  Calvin Murphy? Archibald? Stockton?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2023, 07:40:15 PM »
Cousy.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2023, 08:01:20 PM »
Cousy.

So there's been one?  Murphy had a 43.5 btw.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2023, 10:27:13 PM »
My brother played against Calvin Murphy in high school. I was there but too young to remember. My brother says Murphy did whatever he wanted, often dribbled through the whole team before making a variety of layups, scored 30+ points. And Murphy's team (Norwalk HS) crushed my bro's (Jonathan Law HS).

Murphy didn't dunk in the game. It was against the rules.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2023, 10:55:14 PM »
Better question is how many Scoopers could drunk. I'd put it north of 98%.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2023, 11:28:09 PM »
I can't dunk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2023, 08:48:49 AM »
My brother played against Calvin Murphy in high school. I was there but too young to remember. My brother says Murphy did whatever he wanted, often dribbled through the whole team before making a variety of layups, scored 30+ points. And Murphy's team (Norwalk HS) crushed my bro's (Jonathan Law HS).

Murphy didn't dunk in the game. It was against the rules.

Very disappointing there's not more video of him at Niagara.  He was clearly an incredible shooter and scorer.  He might have been a smaller Steph in this era?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 08:50:38 AM by MuggsyB »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2023, 09:45:55 AM »
Very disappointing there's not more video of him at Niagara.  He was clearly an incredible shooter and scorer.  He might have been a smaller Steph in this era?

Steph Curry is 1 of 1.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2023, 11:55:02 AM »
|

Calvin Murphy had 1 season in his career that he averaged more points...than Steph's career average (25.6 vs 24.8).  He played 4 seasons with the 3pt line and hit 10 3s...total.  As Hards said, Steph is 1 of 1 and the best shooter and potentially top 10-20 player of all time with unlimited range...that wasn't Murphy.  Comparing Murphy to him is unnecessary.  Murphy would be a better version of Isaiah Thomas (Kings and Cs Thomas, not Zeke).

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2023, 12:34:49 PM »
|

Calvin Murphy had 1 season in his career that he averaged more points...than Steph's career average (25.6 vs 24.8).  He played 4 seasons with the 3pt line and hit 10 3s...total.  As Hards said, Steph is 1 of 1 and the best shooter and potentially top 10-20 player of all time with unlimited range...that wasn't Murphy.  Comparing Murphy to him is unnecessary.  Murphy would be a better version of Isaiah Thomas (Kings and Cs Thomas, not Zeke).

Yes, but he would have been trained completely differently now and shoot way more threes. 

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2023, 02:51:32 PM »
Better question is how many Scoopers could drunk. I'd put it north of 98%.

I can't Dunk, but I did touch/grab the rim looooong time ago ! ! !  But I can definitely DRUNK ! ! ! I can DRUNK with the best of them ... Easy peasy for me, since I don't get Hangovers ! ! !  ;)  I know my son "hates" me for it..... LOL   8-)

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2023, 04:19:31 PM »
|

All correct.

Murphy was a very good player- not great. But he was a tough guy. People didn’t mess with him. Ask 6’8” Sidney Wicks. Murphy’s comment was great. “I made him behave”.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 04:21:56 PM by Jockey »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2023, 04:23:19 PM »
I'm 6'5": tall with a 1" vertical leap and average length arms.

So, on a regulation 10 foot basket, I get close but Nope!

As Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes Would Sing: "no no never, no no never dunk again!"

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2023, 04:53:26 PM »
All correct.

Murphy was a very good player- not great. But he was a tough guy. People didn’t mess with him. Ask 6’8” Sidney Wicks. Murphy’s comment was great. “I made him behave”.
He's in the NBA Hall of Fame, so I would say he was great

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2023, 05:22:27 PM »

He's honestly a puzzling HOF inclusion if we're being honest.  If he played in the 80s or 90s with his career numbers and accolades, he wouldn't sniff the Hall. 

18/2/4 for his career.  Only made a single ASG in 13 seasons. Never was top 5 in the league in scoring in his best years.  Being an incredible college player likely contributed to it more than his NBA career.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2023, 06:03:55 PM »
Tiny Archibald.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2023, 06:51:36 PM »

There is no such thing as an NBA Hall of Fame.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2023, 06:53:18 PM »
Tiny Archibald.

I loved AND hated Tiny.

Loved watching him play, but it was for the Celtics.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2023, 07:15:13 PM »
There is no such thing as an NBA Hall of Fame.
semantics. He clearly was a great player if he is elected to the Hall of Fame.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2023, 07:40:30 PM »

He was considered a great college player. That is why he is in the HoF.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2023, 07:01:21 AM »

So, on a regulation 10 foot basket, I get close but Nope!

As Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes Would Sing: "no no never, no no never dunk again!"

Midget.

Thunderous breakaway one handed dunk at the rec center in 1981 still echoes in the rafters. 

Don’t ask me to do it today unless an ambulance is on standby.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2023, 09:22:00 AM »
One-handed or two?
Dude, what part of I know ball don’t you understand?  ;D

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2023, 03:52:00 PM »
Midget.

Thunderous breakaway one handed dunk at the rec center in 1981 still echoes in the rafters. 

Don’t ask me to do it today unless an ambulance is on standby.

I dunked on a high Sam Worthen at the Rec Center the same year. That led to a 50 point run by Sam on the other end.

Our high water marks coincided

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2023, 05:04:24 PM »
Christian Laettner is in the Hall of Fame.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2023, 06:51:48 PM »
Every decade on my birthday, starting at 30, I would try to see if I could still do some of the physical things I could do when I was younger (flat and incline bench 225, dunk, etc.).  Even had a name for it. “The Holy F*ck I’m [insert age here] Challenge”.

Sad to say once I hit 40 I lost the dunk. I think the last time I remember being able to do it was 36 or 37. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2023, 08:16:27 PM »
Every decade on my birthday, starting at 30, I would try to see if I could still do some of the physical things I could do when I was younger (flat and incline bench 225, dunk, etc.).  Even had a name for it. “The Holy F*ck I’m [insert age here] Challenge”.

Sad to say once I hit 40 I lost the dunk. I think the last time I remember being able to do it was 36 or 37.

The intersection of your age and belt size marks your decline in life. The Scoop Postulate is well-documented.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2023, 08:26:04 PM »

That's still not bad.  I lost a lot of my quickness.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2023, 09:47:26 PM »
The intersection of your age and belt size marks your decline in life. The Scoop Postulate is well-documented.

So as long as I keep getting fatter, I’m good?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2023, 10:00:37 PM »

It's a big man's game, hey?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2023, 04:00:41 PM »
I was a terrible basketball player, but back in my volleyball prime I could dunk a volleyball pretty regularly and a basketball if it was tossed (couldn’t palm it).

I’d be lucky to touch backboard these days.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2023, 08:23:54 PM »

Beats the next best alternative.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2023, 09:09:16 AM »
I could graze the rim in college.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2023, 09:13:56 AM »

With your fingers or the ball?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2023, 10:00:37 AM »
I'm 6'2" and have a pretty long wingspan.

Back in the day I could touch the rim with one hand but not get the ball over.  I could fake dunk by floating it over and pulling down on the rim.

I'd be happy to get within 6" of the rim these days.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2023, 10:38:42 AM »

Rimjob?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2023, 07:40:21 PM »
Rimjob?
Therein lies the answer to your question...
With your fingers or the ball?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2023, 11:12:30 PM »
Therein lies the answer to your question...

Why stop at fingers, aina?

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2023, 02:01:48 PM »
6'3" very limited hops. 

Tennis ball, yes; 16" softball, check; volleyball, I would claim it; basketball, never.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2023, 05:10:28 PM »
I HAVE A BIG CRANK on my bballhoop. Last year I lowered it. Maybe to 8.5” but probably closer to 7.

Tried to get cute with a couple dunks and nearly maimed myself. It’s back to 10” and I’m happy with my layups
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2023, 08:35:09 PM »

A one-inch vertical?  Even Davante's  was better than that!
Have some patience, FFS.