[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Bench  (Read 4430 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: The Bench
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2023, 05:23:19 PM »
panda & GoFast

Now that season is over, I will voice my opinion on the players. Real quickly, I am not as sold on Sean Jones, love Mitchell as a person and think there are better options down the road. I would like to see a team that Mitchell is getting Sean type minutes next season. There are 4-5 guys that I 100% hope are back and not going to worry if several guys test the free agent market.

When it is all said and done, it is about winning. IMO, MU sucked on Sunday but some of the lack of individual talent was exposed. Did Shaka run a gimmick defense, and offense, maybe he did. But, I think it was a masterful job of making everyone better. Possibly, some new blood with higher talent levels changes everything in a positiveway.

Basically, this team was awesome and we all enjoyed it. As we sit here today, I would not be concerned if one of my nine favorites player left, provided it was not that guys with the most to offer next season. That said, if everyone is back, I would expect upside improvement across the board.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2023, 05:25:48 PM »
panda & GoFast

Now that season is over, I will voice my opinion on the players. Real quickly, I am not as sold on Sean Jones, love Mitchell as a person and think there are better options down the road. I would like to see a team that Mitchell is getting Sean type minutes next season. There are 4-5 guys that I 100% hope are back and not going to worry if several guys test the free agent market.

When it is all said and done, it is about winning. IMO, MU sucked on Sunday but some of the lack of individual talent was exposed. Did Shaka run a gimmick defense, and offense, maybe he did. But, I think it was a masterful job of making everyone better. Possibly, some new blood with higher talent levels changes everything in a positiveway.

Basically, this team was awesome and we all enjoyed it. As we sit here today, I would not be concerned if one of my nine favorites player left, provided it was not that guys with the most to offer next season. That said, if everyone is back, I would expect upside improvement across the board.

Pretty horrible take on Stevie IMO, but everyone is entitled to their own.

Stevie is absolutely a must for this team and that was shown by just how dominant Marquette's starting lineup was all season. One of the best in America from start to finish using the eyeball and metrics.
VIOLENCE!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2023, 05:30:20 PM »
Golden

Just curious, if MU had a team with a talent level that Stevie played 12-14 minutes, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2023, 05:40:32 PM »
Golden

Just curious, if MU had a team with a talent level that Stevie played 12-14 minutes, wouldn't that be a good thing?

He could also take a big jump next year
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2023, 05:42:48 PM »
He could also take a big jump next year

Yeah if he fixes the jumper it's gonna be even tougher to keep him off the floor.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2023, 05:44:37 PM »
I can't wait until the tournament is over so I can re watch just to point out the three or four straight possessions where chase turned the ball over with some poor decision making and Kolek tried to make a globetrotters no look across court pass. But, but, but Izzo in March !
They are not mutually exclusive, as it seems you want it to be. When you go back and e the game, look at the gap defense that MSU played to start the game. We had no plan for that. When you have to do things….with personnel that isn’t used to doing it…bad things happen. But don’t give Izzo any credit

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2023, 05:46:23 PM »
Golden

They do have that talent, right now.  They just can't keep him off the floor because he's so good.

Norman will be a very similar player with a better jumpshot so it will be interesting to see how they mesh.

This team is absolutely LOADED in the backcourt. I'd go as far as to say maybe the best Matquette has ever seen.

Our player of the year in the league isn't even the best scorer or defender of the bunch and they have depth behind each position.
VIOLENCE!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2023, 05:58:42 PM »
panda & GoFast

Shaka has repeatedly stated that he wishes he a team of 5 Stevie Mitchells. He loves the way SM plays. He loves Sm’s approach to life on and off the court. I think the best we can hope for is Stevie to become a real threat from the corner 3 and stronger finisher at the rim.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2023, 06:04:07 PM »
Final Four

I cannot say one bad thing bad about Stevie as a person and very little as a player. My point is simple, if Norman, Ross, Jones or someone else took minutes away from Mitchell that would be a positive, not a negative. I hope Mitchell is at MU for his entire career. That said, I do not want to say guys should get minutes because I like them. Like everyone on here, I hope Mitchell is an a better version of himself next year and the next year.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 06:09:20 PM by Goose »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2023, 06:07:58 PM »
Except they weren’t completely unforced and those weren’t true layups. Beyond his thumb, Tyler was made uncomfortable. So were Chase and Jop. Give credit where it is due. Wojcik is a pro level scout.
While MSU did play hard on defense, I'm glad they schemed not to make Oso, OMax, or Kam uncomfortable.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2023, 06:10:12 PM »
Mitchell is pretty irreplaceable and crucial to what Shaka wants to do. A little offensive confidence and he’ll be the complete package.
No Finish Line

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2023, 06:17:58 PM »
Nickel

Not trying to be argumentative, but the best of my memory Stevie played the least minutes of any starter on average. Hey, I hope he comes back better and stronger next season and knocks it out of the park. IMO, my expectation of his ceiling is obviously different than the rest of your opinions. Trust me, I hope I am 100% wrong and was just offering my thoughts.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2023, 06:22:48 PM »
Stevie’s defense is incredible. 2 points prevented are as good as 2 points scored. He brings great energy and enthusiasm to the floor. If he loses some minutes that would be a good thing for MU as it indicates more strong guards on the roster. I hope Stevie has great offensive development in the offseason.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2023, 06:27:47 PM »
Judge

Agree across the board, especially if he loses any minutes it is a good thing for the program. It is impossible not to like Stevie and I hope he comes back a more confident offensive player next season.

panda

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2023, 06:31:03 PM »
They are not mutually exclusive, as it seems you want it to be. When you go back and e the game, look at the gap defense that MSU played to start the game. We had no plan for that. When you have to do things….with personnel that isn’t used to doing it…bad things happen. But don’t give Izzo any credit

The reason we lost were turnovers. Not turnovers forced by a brilliant scheme from Izzo. Unforced, uncharacteristic, self inflicted turnovers.

Schematically, Izzo didn’t do anything differently than most opposing coaches tried to do to us. It makes a game plan look much better when Marquette plays far and away their worst game of the year and the point guard who spreads the floor incredibly well is injured and can’t execute in a way he has for the entire season.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2023, 06:31:39 PM »
Nickel

Not trying to be argumentative, but the best of my memory Stevie played the least minutes of any starter on average. Hey, I hope he comes back better and stronger next season and knocks it out of the park. IMO, my expectation of his ceiling is obviously different than the rest of your opinions. Trust me, I hope I am 100% wrong and was just offering my thoughts.

It’s a healthy debate. Someone(s) will have a big summer. It’s not outlandish to think Ross (or others) has a higher ceiling than Mitchell and has a good chance to make a big jump next year. Mitchell may also have a great summer. It’s all a win for us. I have faith the team will understand their roles come next November, whatever they end up being. Expectations will be through the roof.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2023, 06:36:11 PM »
It’s a healthy debate. Someone(s) will have a big summer. It’s not outlandish to think Ross (or others) has a higher ceiling than Mitchell and has a good chance to make a big jump next year. Mitchell may also have a great summer. It’s all a win for us. I have faith the team will understand their roles come next November, whatever they end up being. Expectations will be through the roof.

This is a great problem to have.  Agree 100% Goose
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2023, 06:41:37 PM »
Well, unless MSU's defensive scheme was "stand right there until MU passes it to you".  If so, it was quite effective

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2023, 06:56:31 PM »
Stevie’s defense is incredible. 2 points prevented are as good as 2 points scored. He brings great energy and enthusiasm to the floor. If he loses some minutes that would be a good thing for MU as it indicates more strong guards on the roster. I hope Stevie has great offensive development in the offseason.

2 points prevented and 2 points scored is even better...   seems most love the team as is than the team getting even better...

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2023, 08:03:05 PM »
2 points prevented and 2 points scored is even better...   seems most love the team as is than the team getting even better...

You don’t think if all the core guys came back the team wouldn’t get even better?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2023, 08:09:24 PM »
Final Four

I cannot say one bad thing bad about Stevie as a person and very little as a player. My point is simple, if Norman, Ross, Jones or someone else took minutes away from Mitchell that would be a positive, not a negative. I hope Mitchell is at MU for his entire career. That said, I do not want to say guys should get minutes because I like them. Like everyone on here, I hope Mitchell is an a better version of himself next year and the next year.
agreed

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2023, 08:15:29 PM »
While MSU did play hard on defense, I'm glad they schemed not to make Oso, OMax, or Kam uncomfortable.

Good call, Tony. I shouldn’t have singled anyone out.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2023, 09:00:58 PM »
Final Four

I think Shaka is in agreement with you, and will continue to make Stevie the best version of himself that he can be. However, I wouldn’t expect his minutes to decrease.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2023, 09:12:40 PM »
The reason we lost were turnovers. Not turnovers forced by a brilliant scheme from Izzo. Unforced, uncharacteristic, self inflicted turnovers.

Schematically, Izzo didn’t do anything differently than most opposing coaches tried to do to us. It makes a game plan look much better when Marquette plays far and away their worst game of the year and the point guard who spreads the floor incredibly well is injured and can’t execute in a way he has for the entire season.

I agree with this analysis.