[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: As the season comes to a close...  (Read 2342 times)

lostpassword

• Starter
As the season comes to a close...
« on: March 20, 2023, 04:11:34 PM »
I wanted to give a shout out and thank you to the online Marquette community here and elsewhere.  I'm a fairly infrequent poster but am a voracious consumer of content - here, Twitter, Paint Touches, Cracked Sidewalks, Anonymous Eagle, Golden Break, Scrambled Eggs, Marq'd Men, MU Overload, etc.  Each of these outlets has added to my enjoyment of the season.  Like any fanbase we have some nutters and trolls, but I'm appreciative of the discourse.

I started to type up individualized callouts for the moderators (Rocky, Hilltopper, etc.), content creators/providers (Brew, Andrei, Joe/Phil, etc.), and high-volume conversation starters/participants (Tower, Muggsy, Sultan, MU82, TAMU, Goose, wades, Herman, Galway, etc.) but quickly realized I was going to miss many names and accidentally insult someone with attempts at humor.  Instead, I'll keep this short.  You know who you are.  Thank you for amplifying a memorable year.

HowardsWorld

• All American
Re: As the season comes to a close...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 05:28:46 PM »
It was a very fun year that sadly came to an unexpected end yesterday. I am disappointed that we lost but thrilled with what the future holds for this program. Just think next year we are in the Maui Invitational where we have a chance to grab 3 quad 1 wins in a preseason tournament. That will be what I look forward to in the offseason.

I will leave everyone with a few thoughts for those who will have a harder time moving on this season than me.

This team was picked to finish 9th, they won both the Big East Conference and Big East Tournament for the first time ever.

Won 29 games for the first time ever.

Making it to the final four takes building blocks. Look at how long is took Nova and Jay Wright to finally break through. They were the trendy pick almost constantly to be upset and it took him years to break through to the first final four.

Anything can happen in the offseason, but I expect 90% of the team to be back with the addition of some Texas transfers. Barring any unforeseen circumstances we should be the same if not better next year. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither are successful programs.

I will hold my head high for what this team accomplished this year, in just Shaka's 2nd year.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 05:31:33 PM by HowardsWorld »

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 05:30:18 PM »
It was a very fun year that sadly came to an unexpected end yesterday. I am disappointed that we lost but thrilled with what the future holds for this program. Just think next year we are in the Maui Invitational where we have a chance to grab 3 quad 1 wins in a preseason tournament. That will be what I look forward to in the offseason.

I will leave everyone with a few thoughts for those who will have a harder time moving on this season than me.

This team was picked to finish 9th, they won both the Big East Conference and Big East Tournament for the first time ever.

Won 29 games for the first time ever.

Making it to the final four takes building blocks. Look at how long is took Nova and Jay Wright to finally break through. They were the trendy pick almost constantly to be upset and it took him year to break through to the first final four.

Anything can happen in the offseason, but I expect 90% of the team to be back with the addition of some Texas transfers. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither are successful programs.

Texas transfers? Go on...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 05:30:55 PM »
I wanted to give a shout out and thank you to the online Marquette community here and elsewhere.  I'm a fairly infrequent poster but am a voracious consumer of content - here, Twitter, Paint Touches, Cracked Sidewalks, Anonymous Eagle, Golden Break, Scrambled Eggs, Marq'd Men, MU Overload, etc.  Each of these outlets has added to my enjoyment of the season.  Like any fanbase we have some nutters and trolls, but I'm appreciative of the discourse.

I started to type up individualized callouts for the moderators (Rocky, Hilltopper, etc.), content creators/providers (Brew, Andrei, Joe/Phil, etc.), and high-volume conversation starters/participants (Tower, Muggsy, Sultan, MU82, TAMU, Goose, wades, Herman, Galway, etc.) but quickly realized I was going to miss many names and accidentally insult someone with attempts at humor.  Instead, I'll keep this short.  You know who you are.  Thank you for amplifying a memorable year.
It was fun.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 05:59:17 PM »
Texas transfers? Go on...

If 90% return, we lose 1-2 players.    One gets us even with incoming next year, so 13 full.   2 gives us one extra slot.   So, how do we get Texas transferS ? Plural, transfers?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 06:06:14 PM »
We will be back but man.....we missed a tremendous opportunity.   I'd like to add one more power big and a knock down shooter if possible. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 06:29:34 PM »
If 90% return, we lose 1-2 players.    One gets us even with incoming next year, so 13 full.   2 gives us one extra slot.   So, how do we get Texas transferS ? Plural, transfers?

I assume they meant we would lose one of the guys (Keeyan/Emarion) that transferred here from Texas even though they didn't transfer, just changed commitment.
VIOLENCE!

MUINGB

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 07:24:08 PM »
Thanks guys, for all your thoughts and comments.    I sat here with a knee replacement most of this winter. The MU season, and your comments on Scoop helped days of winter pass by.   We often forget the side benefits ol Scoop does provide to the users, and although I am not a frequent chatter, I enjoyed reading all the thoughts.    Rocky, thanks for keeping the standards high.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 07:31:31 PM »

Was the most MU fun I have had in many years . Can't wait for next season.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 06:37:55 AM »

Rocky, thanks for keeping the standards high.
Teal?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 09:19:51 AM »
Teal?

Hah!  Even I wondered if that was a dig.  But, I can say that MUScoop unequivocally has the most (irrationally) passionate MU fans on the internet tubes.  For that, you all get a lot of credit.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 10:14:32 AM »
Hah!  Even I wondered if that was a dig.  But, I can say that MUScoop unequivocally has the most (irrationally) passionate MU fans on the internet tubes.  For that, you all get a lot of credit.
For the record. I was totally kidding. This is an awesome site and thank you for your hard work.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 12:08:29 PM »
This raises an interesting question for the mods--if you happen to have the data, approx. how many unique visitors were there per day during the season this year (say, across February)? A majority of posts seem to come from a relatively small group, which can make it seem like the community as a whole is smaller, but I bet there are loads of people who visit routinely that don't post.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 12:10:07 PM »
Baby

IMO, there were a lot on new faces and a lot of old faces that were on scoop the past 6-7 weeks. I really enjoyed that part of the season on scoop.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 02:39:24 PM »
This raises an interesting question for the mods--if you happen to have the data, approx. how many unique visitors were there per day during the season this year (say, across February)? A majority of posts seem to come from a relatively small group, which can make it seem like the community as a whole is smaller, but I bet there are loads of people who visit routinely that don't post.

The stats page has much of what you're looking for, scroll to the bottom for posts/topics/most online by month.  The only thing to completely ignore (since 2020) is the "New Members" stat - that's skewed by the thousands of spam posters that try to register every month - and some separate software automatically discards them even though the forum software counts them.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=stats

But I'll give a quick summary of the past 6 Febs:
Feb 2023: 240 topics, 15k posts, 687 online   
Feb 2022: 187 topics, 12k posts, 575 online
Feb 2021: 166 topics, 11k posts, 635 online
Feb 2020: 233 topics, 12k posts, 821 online
Feb 2019: 324 topics, 13k posts, 623 online
Feb 2018: 277 topics, 11k posts, 561 online

So, it was our highest total for Feb posts (ever, I think) - though not topics (jeeze Muggsy).  Perhaps not surprisingly, the highest EVER (since 2006) post total months are March...but not for madness you're thinking - because of coaching changes.  March 2014 when Buzz left (~30k) and March 2021 when Wojo was canned (~21k).  Well...I take that back,a few March's before Buzz left we had 24k (2013) and 20k (2011) posts.   

Soo...sustained March success, and coaching changes (or rumors of them) are good for business here in the scoop world.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2023, 03:23:02 PM »
I could go with false modesty but let's face it, it's all me.

You can draw a direct line from me moderating to Shaka's hiring, to winning 29 games and a BE Title.

What can I say?  You're welcome.