[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Bench  (Read 4424 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
The Bench
« on: March 19, 2023, 08:45:21 PM »
When a team is struggling, you need a boost from the bench. Didn’t happen today. Likely cost them the game.

Bench: 7 points, 2-8 from the field, 6 turnovers. Chase Ross was particularly terrible and Joplin was a close second.  Assuming everyone comes back, I would expect huge strides with a seamless 8-9 man rotation. Tough day but huge learning opportunity for the young players.

Reminds me of the ‘93 team that used the NCAA loss to spring board a Sweet 16 run Maturity will be big factor.  Future is brighter.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

IrwinFletcher

• All American
Re: The Bench
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 08:48:37 PM »
When a team is struggling, you need a boost from the bench. Didn’t happen today. Likely cost them the game.

Bench: 7 points, 2-8 from the field, 6 turnovers. Chase Ross was particularly terrible and Joplin was a close second.  Assuming everyone comes back, I would expect huge strides with a seamless 8-9 man rotation. Tough day but huge learning opportunity for the young players.

Reminds me of the ‘93 team that used the NCAA loss to spring board a Sweet 16 run Maturity will be big factor.  Future is brighter.

Our bench consisted of 3 freshman and a sophomore with limited playing time. Lack of experience hurt us in a big game.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 08:49:59 PM »
Would’ve like to see Gold get at least a few minutes in the second half.  Chase has star potential written all over him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 08:50:06 PM »
A year ago, most of us despaired.      I had no idea what would happen in the transfer portal, but I had some optimism due to the flashes that the 6 guys who returned and were the core of the team had shown.    Each had given a glimpse of what they could become this 29-7 season.   

I am going to choose to remember the glimpses our bench showed during the season and remember that 3 of the 4 were freshmen.   Just like Kam, Stevie, and Joplin were last year.   And sometimes freshmen stink. 

So, yes, today, the bench was not a positive factor.    But, like everyone else, if they choose to return and continue with the process, I look forward to seeing their progress.       
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 11:34:31 AM »
Chase Ross is a player. Maybe the moment was just a little too big for him yesterday. But, I have every confidence he will be a big part of next season. Just look at the progress both Stevie and Kam made from their freshman years. Ben Gold should also take a big jump after an off-season in the weight room. David Joplin is, I think, who he is. He will continue to get better but is not likely to take a big jump - just not athletic enough. And Sean Jones has a long way to go and may decide to play at a lower level. His size doesn't have anything to do with it (just watch Nowell at KState to see how good a small pg can be), but he just did not seem to progress much during the season.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 12:56:10 PM »
Well the bench should be better next year   Freshman become sophomores  New guys come in etc.  Gold and Ross look like stars, imagine if they improve like Oso, Jones, Kolek did.  Sean Jones thouh, sure you can point to a guy like Markus Howard or the KSU guy but he has really shown me nothing.  I think maybe a lower level is best.  If I could pick who leaves it would be him.   Excited to see Ellis final play.  I think Itejeri can fill the five minutes a game Ben Gold role next year, really that's all you need from him next year.  Gold will put on weight, come back improved and ready to rock.  Rebounding must get addressed 
 Unless there is a new player coming in it will have to be internally.  i think you could see Oso, gold, Omax together at times next season?  Thoughts?...

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 03:30:47 PM »
 hoping to see a bulkier, more aggressive banging Oso at the 4 with Ben patrolling the rim

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 03:39:37 PM »
This wasn't really a bench problem, I don't think. Tyler playing the way he did, and with foul trouble, forced a lot of people into positions that they aren't supposed to be in.

Ross is really great attacking a close out. He's not yet great creating for himself and others. When Tyler goes down, our only dominant ball handler is out, and other players that aren't supposed to create, are forced into creation roles.

When Ross could just play aggressive defense, drive into close outs, and shoot open shots he was a great role player. If we had an additional ball handler that could come in and create, he could stay in the role and shine. There are great NBA players who fit this mold as well.

Joplin is another guy who was forced into more creation.

Recruit another ball handler or two to keep people in the roles that they are really great in, and this problem goes away.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 03:45:17 PM »
This wasn't really a bench problem, I don't think. Tyler playing the way he did, and with foul trouble, forced a lot of people into positions that they aren't supposed to be in.

Ross is really great attacking a close out. He's not yet great creating for himself and others. When Tyler goes down, our only dominant ball handler is out, and other players that aren't supposed to create, are forced into creation roles.

When Ross could just play aggressive defense, drive into close outs, and shoot open shots he was a great role player. If we had an additional ball handler that could come in and create, he could stay in the role and shine. There are great NBA players who fit this mold as well.

Joplin is another guy who was forced into more creation.

Recruit another ball handler or two to keep people in the roles that they are really great in, and this problem goes away.

The problem yesterday had to do with Tyler Kolek being off his game.  Not going to blame him though because he has gotten us to this point.

Next year if Tyler is off his game we will have a more experienced Sean Jones and high profile defensive minded PG Tre Norman to fill in.

The problem yesterday was there was no one to fill in for TK on his off day.  We will have a much more versatile roster next season.

G- Kolek, Jones
G- Kam, Norman
G- Stevie, Ross, Lowery
F- OMax, Joplin, Amadou
F- Oso, Gold

Final spot to Ellis or Itejere
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 03:57:56 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 03:49:24 PM »
Would’ve like to see Gold get at least a few minutes in the second half.  Chase has star potential written all over him.

So does Gold.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 04:10:20 PM »
Can't blame anyone in particular.  It was a team fail.
But we appreciate the great season they provided.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 05:12:16 PM »
Any chance Amadou gets RS next season?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 05:16:26 PM »
Any chance Amadou gets RS next season?

Probably not.  They'll take all the size they can get.

If there is a Redshirt I'd say Lowery is a better bet.  Amadou has stretch 4/5 potential with a nice ability to block shots at the basket.

He'll almost certainly add 10 to 15 pounds with Todd Smith between now and opening tipoff.

Al is very O-Max-like in his size and skills.  He's more sturdy on his feet and at the rim defensively which could allow the staff put him behind Oso at the 5 rather than behind OMax at the 4.

Going from Oso to Al in the pick and roll would be nasty. Al has a really nice jump shot for his size.

https://youtube.com/shorts/fN1VRaL3WqA?feature=share
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 05:22:28 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 06:41:51 PM »

Joplin played very well in big East tournament. We were hard to beat when he is having a good game.
We would have beat Michigan St., if he was hitting threes. We would beat Michigan St, if Kolek played his usual game. We could not survive both not playing well.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2023, 06:45:16 PM »
Joplin played very well in big East tournament. We were hard to beat when he is having a good game.
We would have beat Michigan St., if he was hitting threes. We would beat Michigan St, if Kolek played his usual game. We could not survive both not playing well.

We made 11 3s and 9 2s.  The issue was Mich St defense controlling our elite 2 pt %.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2023, 06:59:21 PM »
We made 11 3s and 9 2s.  The issue was Mich St defense controlling our elite 2 pt %.

We only made 5 2pt field goals in 2007 last time against them so that’s some improvement I guess.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 02:13:14 PM »
Some scoopers think Izzo had zero to do with the loss…..when in fact he had a great deal to do with it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 02:43:59 PM »
Some scoopers think Izzo had zero to do with the loss…..when in fact he had a great deal to do with it.

Surprised he didn’t have better game plans throughout the course of the season
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2023, 02:55:11 PM »
Ask AL about Sean Jones and he would mention something about an 11am mass at a seaside resort 🏖 🏀.

When Sean harnesses his ⚡️ speed, and makes better decisions after he beats his man off the dribble, LTFO! I hope he’s not going anywhere. I don’t want to hear about his height. That 5 ft nothing FDU guard ran circles around his defenders. Sean’s burst off the bench is an invaluable part of Shaka’s system.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2023, 03:03:03 PM »

I think Hank, I mean Wojcik, had something to do with it. Izzo is AL, without the big personality.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2023, 03:40:11 PM »
Surprised he didn’t have better game plans throughout the course of the season
Mr March not Mr December

panda

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2023, 03:49:43 PM »
Mr March not Mr December

Masterful game plan pushing marquette into all of those unforced turnovers and missed open layups.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2023, 03:57:35 PM »
Masterful game plan pushing marquette into all of those unforced turnovers and missed open layups.

Except they weren’t completely unforced and those weren’t true layups. Beyond his thumb, Tyler was made uncomfortable. So were Chase and Jop. Give credit where it is due. Wojcik is a pro level scout.

panda

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2023, 03:59:45 PM »
Except they weren’t completely unforced and those weren’t true layups. Beyond his thumb, Tyler was made uncomfortable. So were Chase and Jop. Give credit where it is due. Wojcik is a pro level scout.

I can't wait until the tournament is over so I can re watch just to point out the three or four straight possessions where chase turned the ball over with some poor decision making and Kolek tried to make a globetrotters no look across court pass. But, but, but Izzo in March !

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2023, 04:10:49 PM »
panda
I was as frustrated watching it in real time as you were. I’ve never been one of those “izzo in March” guys. Just saying, how often have you heard coaches talk about the difficulty of simulating what other teams do in practice?

I think Izzo delegates almost all of scouting and much of the Xs and Os to his assistants, and is similar to Al in that he just watches the “party on the court”, except it is a generally a lot of bad dancing that often somehow results in having a good time.