[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: This One Hurt - And That’s A Good Thing  (Read 4057 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: This One Hurt - And That’s A Good Thing
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2023, 08:40:32 PM »
Muggsy

If you think being the fourth #2 seed is the ceiling it was a very big missed opportunity. If you believe the ceiling is higher, it was a missed opportunity.

I am a Shaka guy, but I sure hope we have better, maybe much better, teams in the future.  My ceiling is very high for the program and this might be just be a great lesson learned for the program.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2023, 08:52:42 PM »
A BE championship and BET championship is enough for me to declare this season as an overwhelming success.

Right on the nose, Ziggy. The result today will fade but the last 4 months will be the base on which Shaka's program will be built.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2023, 09:03:40 PM »
Ditto.  Post Season Run > Great Reg Season.  Watching Creighton and XU advance stings.

Agree but I think many on here define a post season run as second weekend.  For me it's E8 or further.  No way I would trade outright BE title and the magic in NYC during the BET for 1 more tourney win.  For an elite 8?... Probably.  Final 4? Hell yes.  I enjoyed the hell out of this year - the wins, style, the team. Shaka's pressers have been must-watch TV for me.  Give me 5 months of a team that is both wildly successful AND wildly fun to follow for 5 months over 1 more tourney win and 4-5 extra days. It sucks right now because we all thought it could be regular season and post season success but I tried to live this year "in the moment" more than I usually do and am not going to let this loss take that away.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2023, 09:07:30 PM »
Everybody is hurting right now and no one more than Shaka and the players.  And I absolutely love this team but this was a missed opportunity.  There's really no other way to see it imo regardless if the entire team comes back or not.  Part of the reason I'm writing this is because year to year we have no idea what the other teans are going to look like.  We earned a 2 seed and were the 6th ranked team in thr country.  We won the BEast and the BEast tournament and beat UCONN, XU, and Creighton twice.   This is as wide open a tournament as I can ever remember and the opportunity was right there.  It just hurts a ton and it will take time to recover.

I’m with you here.  We had good health and some good luck in close games this year and put ourselves in a great position for a deep run.  Not only will we not know what other teams will look like next year, we won’t know what *our* team will look like when you factor in departures, injuries, and chemistry. 

Take the 2016 Cubs, for example.  Sure, that’s a team that *did* win it all, but they thought it’d be the start of a dynasty that would win multiple championships.  And they never even got back to the World Series.  They were lucky to win one.  When you have a legitimate chance, you have to take advantage because there’s no telling when it’ll happen again.

Think about how long ago that UNC loss from last year’s tourney seems.  And that was only a little over a year ago.  MU won’t get another chance on the big stage for 12 months minimum, and that’s if we have a good year and make the dance (which I fully expect to happen, and then some).  I wish I could go back to how I felt after that UCONN game in the BET.  But hey, I guess heartbreak is part of what makes sports so much fun.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2023, 09:11:40 PM »
I wouldn’t trade winning the BEast tournament and winning the conf title for a sloppy W tonight and then losing to KState.   
Way too hot of a take for me.

warriormom

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2023, 09:11:53 PM »
I have known many many soul wrenching disappointments in my long journey as a Marquette fan.  From Rick Mounts hitting a last minute shot to knock us out of the NCAA tournament on my 10th birthday to losing in the first round in 1978. 
This ranks right up there.  But the season was such a joy and a blessing and the highs experienced were totally unexpected.
Would I trade a run in the NCAA for what came before, yes.  But no one can take away this special season. 
I love this team more than I have since the Final Four team. 
They had a bad game.  So be it.
Thank you guys for the joy

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2023, 09:12:50 PM »
Right on the nose, Ziggy. The result today will fade but the last 4 months will be the base on which Shaka's program will be built.

Well said, dick.  The Marquette and the Shaka brand are both scorching hot right now.  We'll get studs looking to transfer here just to be part of this, without the cash that the blue bloods/past shady programs will be tossing around.

The rebuild is ahead of schedule and the future is bright!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2023, 09:25:40 PM »
A BE championship and BET championship is enough for me to declare this season as an overwhelming success.
I agree with this analysis .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2023, 09:35:25 PM »
A good night to be dead inside.   

Arby's is very full tonight.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2023, 08:58:01 AM »
I wouldn’t trade winning the BEast tournament and winning the conf title for a sloppy W tonight and then losing to KState.   
Way too hot of a take for me.

100% agreed.   I don't understand the dismissive nature of an outright regular season and conference tournament title.  Those are huge accomplishments and not easily done.  Both are BE program firsts.  That is what made this season so special and has juiced up the fan base. 

I want to win titles.  Regular season titles.  Conference tournament titles.  National championship titles.  A sweet 16 run is not winning a title.

This was a very successful season.  One we have not had for a long, long time.  Second to the final four run.

The loss yesterday did not diminish how great of a season we had.  The loss hurts more because of the great success we had this year.  I wouldn't trade the outright regular season conference title or the BET championship this year for a loss in the sweet 16.  Too many great memories.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2023, 09:19:33 AM »
My biggest complaint with Wojo was he never added to the banners at the Al

No regular season title
No conf tourney title
No S16

Shaka did two of those in his 2nd year. Yesterday sucked but we lost to Tom Izzo, if we play FDU are we all of a sudden better?

We'll be back.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUtopper34

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2023, 09:54:03 AM »
I’d trade every regular season accolade for a second weekend in march appearance.

Say what you want about the tourney being a crapshoot, but let’s not pretend…Those seasons are way more memorable than ones you just win the conference.

There's no banner for making a Sweet 16. Would much rather walk away with the Big East conference and tournament titles than to lose next weekend against Kansas State.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2023, 10:07:25 AM »
This one hurts but it hurts for the wrong reasons; we basically self destructed. I’m having a tough time seeing the positive in that even though I get the sentiment.
No Finish Line

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2023, 10:41:49 AM »
Perspective. I left my caregiver job early on SUN to meet a couple friends at Hurley’s Tap in Chicago. There was very little parking nearby the bar, so I parked at St Mary’s of the Angels Catholic Church. I figured I had better at least stop inside and say a few prayers. Traffic was horrible on the way down, and my anxiety was high. All the more reason to stop inside this Church. My Marquette fandom surely ranks in the top half percent, and I couldn’t wait to catch the start of the game. As I kneeled in the pew, late for the game, not once did it occur to me to pray for a victory. All I could think about were the troubles of the world and how my boss is fighting stage 4 lymphoma and having a hard time walking.  He’s been to hell and back through his treatment. He’s getting better, his cancer is in remission, but it’s been an arduous journey.

As I exited the Church, I had a feeling that MU would struggle early, but would mount a huge comeback fight, and that it would come right down to the wire. In that moment I thought of Zach Wrightsill and what he said in the aftermath of our home win against Xavier. He had his arm around OMax and said, “it’s not always gonna go our way, but man when Omax was struggling the whole game, to keep fighting like he did and persevere and produce, that says a lot.”  As the team was exiting through the tunnel in Columbus after the game, there was Zach again looking bright eyed, very positive and hopeful. The guy who’s been through the most. Perspective. As Bo Ellis said in the aftermath of a tough NCAA defeat in 1974…We’ll be back. Not here. But we will be back playin for a title. As Zach said, “it’s not always gonna go our way.” In games. In life. It’s how we react and respond that counts. I’m 52 and still learning that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2023, 10:59:53 AM »
GoFast

Great post and perspective on life. I got to Mass a bit early and said few extra prayers as well. Mine were not asking for a win, but more of thanks that not only has been an unbelievable season, but also for what I learned from Shaka and this team. I cannot say enough about the good things that I have learned this season and it really came at a great time in my life.

We saw the best representation of a team for any time in my lifetime. We saw a coach that made the team better and the players better men. I can only speak for myself, but I can accept defeat with a group like MU put on the floor this season.

I will add, it was awesome seeing the MU community unite over a basketball team. I was able to meet some new scoopers, reconnect with old friends and share this season with my family.

Lastly, make no mistake about it, I am a guy that cares about winning and am disappointed they lost yesterday. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hope you are not a stranger during the offseason.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2023, 11:04:40 AM »

As Bo Ellis said in the aftermath of a tough NCAA defeat in 1974…We’ll be back. Not here. But we will be back playin for a title.

Excellent reminder this morning.  This pic is from the Al.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2023, 11:20:58 AM »
Excellent reminder this morning.  This pic is from the Al.

That’s a beautiful pic. Legendary quote from a legendary player. Prominent in the AL. Front and Center.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2023, 11:25:43 AM »
I’d trade every regular season accolade for a second weekend in march appearance.

Say what you want about the tourney being a crapshoot, but let’s not pretend…Those seasons are way more memorable than ones you just win the conference.

I don't disagree. But multiple things can be true at once. Yesterday was a huge disappointment. And It was an awesome season, with a lot to be proud of.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2023, 11:31:25 AM »
I don't disagree. But multiple things can be true at once. Yesterday was a huge disappointment. And It was an awesome season, with a lot to be proud of.

Added a ton of hardware to our trophy case and some valuable March experience to our young players mental trophy case.
VIOLENCE!

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2023, 11:36:23 AM »
Lenny

I am thankful that we have experienced this season. Losing sucks, but a great lesson in life. My adult kids have been texting me and all very upset and that is a good sign to me.

I have teared up several times this season because of the team MU put on the court. Trust me, give me the Houston team and I will be crying like a baby.

Cannot speak for others, but this was the most special year of MU basketball since Al. I will say it one last time, this was the most special team in 48 years, and maybe ever. Not because of talent, but how they played and represented a very proud program.

One quick editorial, anyone that did not enjoy this team, missed out. Losing sucks, but I am a proud MU fan tonight.

Goose -

I was a Junior at MU for the 2003 final four team. Went to every game, lived and died with that team.  It never occurred to me that I would ever enjoy a team as much as that one.  This group of guys surpassed it for me.  A big part of that is my kids are at the age where they understand what's going on, and following this season with them was really special.  My son (he's 8) was completely over the moon in Columbus this weekend.  He got to see the team win on Friday, then got to meet Kam and Tyler at the hotel.  Being able to enjoy a winning team and making those kinds of memories with your family along the way is ultimately what sports is about.

I'll never forget the feeling during that semifinal game against Kansas in 2003, not only knowing that the game had been decided long before it ended, but really knowing the run with that group was over.  Wade and Jackson were gone, and the pieces that were left were never going to be able to put something together to match what they had just done.

The core of this team has already done things together that we haven't seen around here in a long time.  They are blessed with another chance to come back and build on what they did, and I'm really confident we'll see this core back and ready to go next fall.  Losing stinks and I'm as disappointed as anyone with how the season ended, but I'm even more confident that the fun has just begun.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2023, 11:48:48 AM »
MDMU04

That is awesome. I literally talked more basketball with my kids over the two months and it was great family ride. My kids are 28-36y, but they were excited like they were your kids ages. My daughter is 28 and was texting non stop during the season. I have mentioned before, but I had those experiences like your kids when I was their age with my Mom, Dad and siblings. Some of the greatest memories in my entire life.

Have to add, my Mom celebrated her 100th birthday in Heaven on Saturday and she loved MU basketball. If scoop was around she would have been adding her two cents during the Al era. She loved winning with style and got pissed at Al often for not putting teams away more.

Hope your kids enjoy another 80 years of Mu basketball. Job well done, Dad.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2023, 11:59:55 AM »
Added a ton of hardware to our trophy case and some valuable March experience to our young players mental trophy case.

This.

warriormom

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2023, 12:03:43 PM »
MDMU04
My dad raised us on MU basketball.  He always used to tell us “someday we will be on Wisconsin Avenue watching the college kids run after we win the National Championship
Well after many years of heartache, my sister and I were the college kids running and seeing my dad and younger siblings
We took our sons to the Final Four in New Orleans
Hoping to take my grandson to a Final Four someday.
We had four generations at the last game of the season at the Fiserv
My mom is 93 and goes to every game
You are creating something specia with your son

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2023, 12:21:46 PM »
Goose.
Thanks for the kind words earlier. This Marquette team indeed has brought so many of  us together, strengthening bonds, and altering schedules in a fun way.

When Shaka talked in NYC about our rich history as a program, I could feel the love in his voice, and I knew then and there he essentially became one of us. Marquette for life. Doesn’t mean he will never leave. Just that he knows how a lot of programs can claim a rich history, but very few are special. He feels now what we’ve all known and felt for some time. Marquette is a unique, special place. This is going to be a glorious ride.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2023, 12:55:22 PM »
MDMU04
My dad raised us on MU basketball.  He always used to tell us “someday we will be on Wisconsin Avenue watching the college kids run after we win the National Championship
Well after many years of heartache, my sister and I were the college kids running and seeing my dad and younger siblings
We took our sons to the Final Four in New Orleans
Hoping to take my grandson to a Final Four someday.
We had four generations at the last game of the season at the Fiserv
My mom is 93 and goes to every game
You are creating something specia with your son
This is fantastic Mom!