[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Tyler in the NCAA's  (Read 5655 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: Tyler in the NCAA's
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2023, 07:23:07 PM »
5Dollar paid Tyler to throw the game.

Is that more obvious to you?
Useless poster - another great example

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2023, 07:24:21 PM »
I don't think the thumb was the issue frankly. He played poorly, it happens.  He made poor decisions and it started with reaching and picking up his 2nd foul.  My personal take is that he pressed a bit as the leader of this team and 3rd team AA.  He was uncharacteristically forcing and just out of sorts.  But I'm gonna tell you this:  TyKo and the rest of this group will come back next year and want to overcome this crushing exit. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2023, 07:25:48 PM »
Said the same to my wife.  To think it didn't affect him isn't being fair.
Is it fair to excuse him throwing 40’ passes to the safety ala Brett Favre??
He walked today, he didnt drive.
Blame that on his non shooting hand if you want.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2023, 07:26:52 PM »
When Kolek got hurt in the first minute of the Vermont game and then came back in and showed poor body language, I knew that was it. That whole game just felt odd and the vibe  wasn’t there for a long run. Had a feeling it would carry over into today’s game and it did. The optimist in me wanted him to turn the corner but it was too quick. He’ll come back strong. He’s a great player.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2023, 07:29:01 PM »
UNC - 1/5, 3pts, 10 ast, 0 TO
VMT - 3/11, 8 pts, 4 ast, 3 TO
MSU - 2/7, 7 pts, 5 ast, 6 TO
Double digit assists as an example of poor play is odd. The last games….for sure.

The kid was absolutely elite this year and he's our offensive engine. But he's got an enormous mental block in the tournament. He's not just missing shots, he's an entirely different player -- one that is actively harming our team while he's on the floor with horrible turnovers, bad shots, and stupid fouls. What in the world do you do with that if you're Shaka Smart? The team is effectively playing without their best player in the tournament. Not to mention we don't have great ball handlers behind him. This team without the BEPOY is not a final four team.

Priority number 1 for Shaka has to be adding a guy that can handle the ball. We need to have someone that can get the team going and set the offense up in the case of Tyler having foul trouble or the yips.

Priority number 1 for Tyler is some honest internal reflection about what is going on. Nerves and anxiety? Trying to do too much? He's competitive as crap. He desperately cares. I'm always going to back a guy like that to figure it out eventually.

I see a lot of people saying MU wasn't elite this year. That's garbage. We almost made the sweet 16 essentially without the BEPOY. We're as good as any team in the country sans Bama when he's on. Let's hope he figures it out.

See you all next year.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2023, 07:30:34 PM »
I don't think the thumb was the issue frankly. He played poorly, it happens.  He made poor decisions and it started with reaching and picking up his 2nd foul.  My personal take is that he pressed a bit as the leader of this team and 3rd team AA.  He was uncharacteristically forcing and just out of sorts.  But I'm gonna tell you this:  TyKo and the rest of this group will come back next year and want to overcome this crushing exit.
Agree with this. If he just had a bad shooting day you’d of course say it’s the hand. He had a terrible decision day
No Finish Line

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2023, 07:32:02 PM »
Agree with this. If he just had a bad shooting day you’d of course say it’s the hand. He had a terrible decision day

He couldn’t dribble in his right hand. Can’t remember the exact time but it was in the first half, switches the ball from his left to his right, bobbled it, then got stripped.

I’m guessing torn ligament. Happens when you get your thumb stick into someone’s jersey like that.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2023, 07:32:11 PM »
Useless poster - another great example

I think Kolek was looking ahead to the KState game and not focusing on todays game.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2023, 07:33:15 PM »
There is going to be plenty of bulletin board material for TKO after this game… I’m ready for 2023-24 already!
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2023, 07:34:52 PM »
It was more ( or less ) than just his hand.  He had terrible TOs and lots and lots of bad decisions …

If he just does not make all the TOs they may have won.   

I trust he will fix it next year …

But that’s about 363 days away!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2023, 07:45:37 PM »
For some reason he has been trying to do too much in the Tournament. He was clearly pressing. Maybe trying to overcompensate for the injured thumb or maybe something else, but it was clear as day from the start of the Vermont game that this was a different Tyler.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2023, 07:47:40 PM »
I think Kolek was looking ahead to the KState game and not focusing on todays game.
Just pack it up with what little dignity you have left, champ

Goose

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2023, 07:48:16 PM »
I am fairly certain that Kolek knows he did not bring his A game today. If anyone is concerned about Kolek moving forward, that might be emotions talking.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2023, 07:48:34 PM »
This game loss was a team effort, and yes Kolek was hurting.    And I agree with those wondering about surgery.  He clearly was bothered last two games - complete opposite of how he played the previous 34. 

The team needed to rally around the situation.   It was just a bad game for the team.  It happens

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2023, 07:58:11 PM »
Just pack it up with what little dignity you have left, champ

Sarcasm dipshiit..

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2023, 08:02:44 PM »
If some of you are as challenged as 5Dollar,

I love Tyler Kolek’s play.  He leads this team with swagger. He is clutch, he makes everyone around him better.  I hope we get two more years of him.  He clearly played the last two games way differently than the past 10. Probably his thumb.  My posts were sarcasm to the OP calling out Kolek play in the NCAA.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 08:07:58 PM by PointWarrior »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2023, 08:06:08 PM »
I am fairly certain that Kolek knows he did not bring his A game today. If anyone is concerned about Kolek moving forward, that might be emotions talking.
If he’d have brought his C game things would be different. His A game would have been a cake walk.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2023, 01:02:57 AM »
I'd encourage any of you to first tear up your thumb and then try to play a pick-up game with it numbed with whatever injection they use these days.  The injections mean you don't roll around in pain every time the ball hits your thumb, but it also means you really cannot feel your hand. 

Thumbs are almost impossible to tape up as well. 

He gutted it out and didn't have his best game. 

Come back and do better next year.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2023, 03:43:39 AM »
UNC - 1/5, 3pts, 10 ast, 0 TO
VMT - 3/11, 8 pts, 4 ast, 3 TO
MSU - 2/7, 7 pts, 5 ast, 6 TO

The kid was absolutely elite this year and he's our offensive engine. But he6hb's got an enormous mental block in the tournament. He's not just missing shots, he's an entirely different player -- one that is actively harming our team while he's on the floor with horrible turnovers, bad shots, and stupid fouls. What in the world do you do with that if you're Shaka Smart? The team is effectively playing without their best player in the tournament. Not to mention we don't have great ball handlers behind him. This team without the BEPOY is not a final four team.

Priority number 1 for Shaka has to be adding a guy that can handle the ball. We need to have someone that can get the team going and set the offense up in the case of Tyler having foul trouble or the yips.

Priority number 1 for Tyler is some honest internal reflection about what is going on. Nerves and anxiety? Trying to do too much? He's competitive as crap. He desperately cares. I'm always going to back a guy like that to figure it out eventually.

I see a lot of people saying MU wasn't elite this year. That's garbage. We almost made the sweet 16 essentially without the BEPOY. We're as good as any team in the country sans Bama when he's on. Let's hope he figures it out.

See you all next year.
Wrong. We have guards up the Ying yang.
Priority 1 needs to be a rim protecror.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2023, 04:40:35 AM »
I trust that our Freshmen will all be better as sophs.  If we're talking about specific needs I would like an additional big and a knock down shooter but if everyone stays I think without question this is a title contending team.  Don't let one terrible performance by our best player cloud how good we were this season.

A 3/4:that can rebound the ball would obviously help Oso.  Ironically we lost Sunday because of our offense.  We have great guards and guard depth.  Ross in particular will be much better next year and is a key player for us moving forward.   If we have a knock down shooter among our incoming Frosh, or Ross becomes that guy, we will be monumentally more difficult to guard in the half-court.   You won't see scoring droughts like we did this season.  I also expect Ighodaro and Gold to be better on both ends of the floor.

I honestly don't care if TyKo's thumb is a serious injury or not. We all saw that he was not himself and certainly some of that credit goes to the Mich St. defense.  I think he got caught up in trying to do too much after his early fouls and just never felt comfortable orchestrating the entire day.  It is something he will learn and grow from and I have zero concerns it will impact his game next season.  As frustrating as Sunday was there's no question in my mind MU will be back and and consistently good for many years to come. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2023, 04:42:38 AM »
Big man's game, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2023, 06:00:38 AM »
I can’t believe that anyone who has actually played basketball at any level would think that an injured thumb, even one to your non dominant hand, isn’t going to affect your play. Especially someone whose primary role involves handling the ball.

A player still uses his off hand to catch, dribble, and pass the ball and often to help guide a shot.

We don’t know how much that injury affected Kolek physically and/or mentally. But the fact that the incident was followed immediately by two of his worst games of the season has to at least raise a question if the two things are related.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2023, 08:22:29 AM »
I can’t believe that anyone who has actually played basketball at any level would think that an injured thumb, even one to your non dominant hand, isn’t going to affect your play. Especially someone whose primary role involves handling the ball.

A player still uses his off hand to catch, dribble, and pass the ball and often to help guide a shot.

We don’t know how much that injury affected Kolek physically and/or mentally. But the fact that the incident was followed immediately by two of his worst games of the season has to at least raise a question if the two things are related.
I’m not sure anybody has said an injured thumb wouldn’t affect somebody’s game. This was beyond that, though. I thought he looked off BEFORE he hurt his thumb, albeit it that was very early in the Vermont game. I thought he was too keyed up. It’s fine to get “lost in the fight.” It’s another to be lost before the fight even starts. Even a below average performance and we win that game. I thought he should’ve been benched in both games.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2023, 08:28:37 AM »
I wonder if any of our MU trained PT's or Ortho MD's might give us some insight on TKO's thumb injury??? I know they don't know what exactly the injury was, but maybe some "professional" thoughts might help us try to understand what actually might have been going on....    8-)

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2023, 08:38:15 AM »
I’m not sure anybody has said an injured thumb wouldn’t affect somebody’s game. This was beyond that, though. I thought he looked off BEFORE he hurt his thumb, albeit it that was very early in the Vermont game. I thought he was too keyed up. It’s fine to get “lost in the fight.” It’s another to be lost before the fight even starts. Even a below average performance and we win that game. I thought he should’ve been benched in both games.

Is there some thought that he had an injury before the Vermont game?  Someone said that in this thread but didn't know anything about it.

feedback