'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shades of 2003  (Read 2061 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Shades of 2003
« on: March 17, 2023, 04:03:41 PM »
In game one of the NCAAT, a pesky New England low-major makes it too much of a game for too long. Marquette's All-American and best players struggles in the game only for his #2 to rise up and lead the team to victory....
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Shades of 2003
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 04:07:55 PM »
In game one of the NCAAT, a pesky New England low-major makes it too much of a game for too long. Marquette's All-American and best players struggles in the game only for his #2 to rise up and lead the team to victory....

Except we were in control of this game. Not playing great until Kam took over, but I never felt the game was in doubt.

If I remember correctly, the Warriors were lucky to win that day.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 04:28:26 PM »
Except we were in control of this game. Not playing great until Kam took over, but I never felt the game was in doubt.

You remember mostly correctly. I don't know if "lucky" is the right word, but we needed an amazing game from Diener to rally for a victory over Holy Cross, whereas there was little chance we were gonna lose today.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 04:50:38 PM »
Yeah this felt more like the KY game (with an inferior opponent).

Never in doubt but refused to believe it until way too late. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 05:20:25 PM »
This team had the best chance to win it all since 1978 and I believe that to my core. Five more wins and then we can discuss best teams in MU history.

Today was another example of how a great team and  program gets the job done. Very impressed again with the workmanlike effort and big time composure. Shaka is off the charts right now on focus on getting the job done.

Five more wins!!!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 05:22:42 PM »
This team had the best chance to win it all since 1978 and I believe that to my core. Five more wins and then we can discuss best teams in MU history.

Today was another example of how a great team and  program gets the job done. Very impressed again with the workmanlike effort and big time composure. Shaka is off the charts right now on focus on getting the job done.

Five more wins!!!

Goose,

Any concerns with the physicality of Mich St?  I felt like they got away with a lot on the perimeter, especially with Ellis.  I really hope Oso is aggressive Sunday. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 05:26:27 PM »
Muggsy

There is better talent out there, but not a better team. There are teams that transcend time and this one of them. My only fear, I might never love a MU team as much as this one again in my lifetime.

Five more wins!!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 05:51:53 PM »
I thought this was a comfortable, straight forward win for Marquette. There was never a time in the game where I thought or felt the winner of the game was in doubt.

The Holy Cross game was a 2 point game with a minute left. That was and felt more like a survive and advance game.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 06:18:02 PM »
Goose,

Any concerns with the physicality of Mich St?  I felt like they got away with a lot on the perimeter, especially with Ellis.  I really hope Oso is aggressive Sunday.

This game will be a battle. Izzo will have his team ready, as will Shaka. Crowd likely very pro Sparty. I do like our chances. Hope Tyler is ok, we need him in this one. We are not playing Vermont.
Win Sunday and the stars will be aligning for some magic.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 06:26:08 PM »

MU has been the better team for 34 games and that is not debatable. Not being argumentative, but if I was a MSU fan I would be asking how do we beat Marquette? Just me take, but very little concern about the game on Sunday.

After Sunday, I will agree the quality of competition increases a great deal and that it beauty of the tournament. As for me, Sunday is just the next step in the process.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 06:29:57 PM »
Goose …

I hope you are right ( and I’m wrong )
But, I think you are getting ahead of yourself.  The game v. MSU will be a toss up

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 06:37:52 PM »

I have made a real point to not get ahead of myself this season and refrained from making predictions. I have no problem with anyone being concerned, I just do not share those feelings. IMO MU is much better basketball team than MSU, and many NCAA teams, and feel they have much more to worry about it.

Now, there are teams potentially coming up that I believe are far better threat and will be more guarded in my comments.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 07:55:13 PM »

Never meant to imply otherwise just thought the similarities were fun
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 01:26:31 AM »
Muggsy

There is better talent out there, but not a better team. There are teams that transcend time and this one of them. My only fear, I might never love a MU team as much as this one again in my lifetime.

Five more wins!!

Come on Goose, give future Shaka teams a chance for your love...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 08:04:08 AM »
Point

I have no doubt that I will love future teams for different reasons, likely due to an uptick in individual talent levels. Plus, the first time a team or a program takes a meaningful step in getting better always makes it feel special.

In addition, this year is different to me because of the buy in and excitement level from the fanbase. It has been a long time since the program has experienced this type of support and it is a lot of fun. Cynicism will return at some point, maybe even from me, but right now everyone has bought in and that is an unique feeling.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2023, 08:15:36 AM »

Five more wins!!!

Speaking of focus.  Shaka after the game walking through the parade of MU fans lining the MU hotel lobby never cracked a smile.  He is laser focused on getting the job done.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2023, 09:47:26 AM »
Speaking of focus.  Shaka after the game walking through the parade of MU fans lining the MU hotel lobby never cracked a smile.  He is laser focused on getting the job done.

Maybe Ty's thumb is worse than reported and though he will play he will not be 100 percent. Adjustments will have to be made.