Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dan Hurley  (Read 2312 times)

MU82

• All American
Dan Hurley
« on: March 11, 2023, 09:10:01 AM »
Dan Hurley has been good for UConn. He has restocked the talent, helped usher in the program's return to the Big East, gotten the team near the top of the conference standings, and helped bring back national respect to a program that was suffering.

But in 5 years at UConn ...

He hasn't coached the Huskies to a single NCAA tournament win ... or a regular-season Big East title ... or a Big East tournament title ... or an appearance in the Big East title game ... or an AAC regular-season title ... or an AAC tournament title.

His .641 winning percentage is fine, but it's nowhere near great. By comparison, 5 years into his time at Marquette, Crean had a .658 winning percentage and a Final Four on his resume. Five years into his P6 coaching career, Buzz had a .693 winning percentage, a S16-S16-E8 run, and a Big East title.

Last night, Sanogo and Clingan were killing us. Just about every time UConn got the ball inside -- whether or not Oso was on the court -- something good happened for Hurley's team. Well, after Sanogo scored with 2:38 left to pull the Huskies within 2, here were their last 5 possessions: missed 3 by Hawkins; missed jumper by Hawkins; missed 3 by Calcaterra; missed 3 by Calcaterra; missed 3 by Hawkins. But at least Hurley saved his final timeout for the NCAA tournament. That's some wonderful coaching right there.

Obviously, he still has a chance to accomplish a lot this season. UConn is a trendy Final Four pick, and they are talented, and they might get there.

But as we sit here today, Dan Hurley has been little more than a reputation built mainly on being named Hurley.

He is the best active college basketball coach named Hurley, though. I will give him that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
Re: Dan Hurley
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 09:16:24 AM »
Yes, inexplicable that he did not force the ball into his greatest asset being guarded by a freshman.   Just as it was inexplicable that Anderson did not run his offense through Addae-Wusu
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 09:18:29 AM »
Yes, inexplicable that he did not force the ball into his greatest asset being guarded by a freshman.   Just as it was inexplicable that Anderson did not run his offense through Addae-Wusu

Sandago had a bruised elbow.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 09:34:41 AM »
He’s also a complete dickhead

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 09:36:02 AM »
Play of the game when Kam used his face to take out Sanogo's elbow. 

Shaka talked about looking out on the court last night and seeing a bunch of freshmen and sophomores fighting their tails off.  Watching those kids go chest to chest with a bigger and more experienced UCONN team, in the Garden, and come out on top was one of the more fun wins in recent memory.  The toughness was off the charts last night.

And once again...Shaka owned halftime. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 09:39:57 AM »
Play of the game when Kam used his face to take out Sanogo's elbow. 

Shaka talked about looking out on the court last night and seeing a bunch of freshmen and sophomores fighting their tails off.  Watching those kids go chest to chest with a bigger and more experienced UCONN team, in the Garden, and come out on top was one of the more fun wins in recent memory.  The toughness was off the charts last night.

Yep, Hurley was outcoached by Shaka.

As for Sanogo's elbow ... It first was bruised by O-Max's chin before Kam wrecked it with his face.

connie

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 09:41:58 AM »
Still adjusting to halftime being a good thing for MU
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 09:48:33 AM »
The guy in front of me last night was a really nice UConn fan (they do exist - who knew?). At the half he wasn’t confident at all. His take was that Hurley is a great recruiter, but lacks coaching chops.  Sounded oddly familiar.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 09:50:51 AM »
If we didn’t have Shaka I’d take Hurley.

Shaka’s excitement on the sidelines would be hated if he was coaching Creighton against MU.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 09:52:55 AM »
I don't mind the trash talk. He's good for the league, albeit a bit premature with the resting on the laurels of others. Ideal for our league is when each team has a true identity.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2023, 10:00:26 AM »
Ideal for our league is when each team has a true identity.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2023, 10:50:56 AM »
If we didn’t have Shaka I’d take Hurley.

Shaka’s excitement on the sidelines would be hated if he was coaching Creighton against MU.

Wouldn't dispute any of this.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2023, 11:04:02 AM »
Ideal for our league is when each team has a true identity.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2023, 01:30:50 PM »
Safe to say his decision to use Andre Jackson on Kolek kinda backfired.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2023, 01:41:27 PM »
Good post MU82.

Sometimes, with as good as this run has been this season, we forget that these teams Marquette is facing night in and night out are loading with experienced upperclassmen that should be much better on paper.

Hurley did mishandle the game at the end there, and his squad did underachieve in the regular season conference slate as well as in the BET.

I’m just glad we have Shaka and hope he stays forever.

Shaka is starting to become so coveted again that one of my buddies who’s a diehard UNC fan text me last night saying that he’s heard/read that if UNC doesn’t “keep it in the family” like they typically do (with Jerry Stackhouse for example) they will turn to Shaka as their top candidate.
I expect we hear a lot of these such things over the next several years

Viper

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2023, 02:09:20 PM »
I like that he’s coaching in the BE. A character. A villain, even. Hoping Pitino goes to StJ. Miller at X is a cheater. Easy to find some hate. Let’s rumble!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2023, 02:11:51 PM »
Hurley is a decent coach and a perfect foil. You need a heel for the baby face.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2023, 02:12:14 PM »
The guy in front of me last night was a really nice UConn fan (they do exist - who knew?). At the half he wasn’t confident at all. His take was that Hurley is a great recruiter, but lacks coaching chops.  Sounded oddly familiar.

You’re a smart poster. I hope you’re not comparing Wojo to Hurley.

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2023, 02:13:46 PM »
Biggest takeaway from last night is MU closes AGAIN they learned how to do it and Shaka gets credit.
Not a takeaway is Hurley being a bad coach. Criticism of him is overblown. He's not great but good for our conference. I love it that he really wants to beat us! I love it that you can see competitive angst on his face in the post game presser. I love it when big east teams have competitive coaches that work hard at it and are good at it. Hurley is one, Cooley, McDermott, others. Man I wish Jay W. Was still here. Hurley is an asset to the Big East.

Shaka's the Best though! 😁

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2023, 02:17:56 PM »
+1

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2023, 02:23:00 PM »

I've posted before that my UCONN alum friend is very much a gentleman and that I have asked him to show me his UCONN diploma.to prove he really went there. He's the polar opposite of the knuckle draggers who show up at MSG.

He is a very perceptive bball fan and has said a number of times that Hurley is a terrible game coach. I admit I was skeptical but have learned to listen to his take on UCONN. He nailed it.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2023, 04:50:02 PM »
You had to have watched Bob Hurley Sr coaching HS to fully appreciate the out of body experience that it was. He used to travel the tough playgrounds in NJ to find players for St. Anthony's. He was a probation officer on and off the court. Tough would understate his coaching style. What he offered was a way out of a difficult life in Jersey City and beyond.

I think with the right players Shaka has a much better approach to coaching then the Hurley's.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2023, 05:10:36 PM »
Biggest takeaway from last night is MU closes AGAIN they learned how to do it and Shaka gets credit.
Not a takeaway is Hurley being a bad coach. Criticism of him is overblown. He's not great but good for our conference. I love it that he really wants to beat us! I love it that you can see competitive angst on his face in the post game presser. I love it when big east teams have competitive coaches that work hard at it and are good at it. Hurley is one, Cooley, McDermott, others. Man I wish Jay W. Was still here. Hurley is an asset to the Big East.

Shaka's the Best though! 😁

I can’t speak for others, but I never said Hurley was a bad coach. Like you, I did say he’s not proven to be great coach yet. I also never said he’s bad for the conference.

Basically, what I’m saying is I’ll buy into the national hype for Dan Hurley as soon as he wins something tangible at UConn. Again, he might just do so over the next few weeks; he has put together a talented team.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 05:25:42 PM by MU82 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2023, 05:16:29 PM »

Yeah, he bruised it on O-Max's throat and Kam's head.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback