[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] March Travel Plans  (Read 3388 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] March Travel Plans
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2023, 08:47:30 AM »
Brew, maybe you know this.  When the committee decides placement, do they go by driving distance or as the crow flies?

I ask because with yesterday's results, I think it's possible that we're ahead of Kansas State but behind Texas and Baylor. Texas and Baylor are closer to Des Moines by driving but are actually geographically closer to Denver. My guess is that both Baylor and Texas would prefer to be placed in Denver (easier flight and larger alumni bases in Denver). Could that mean we sneak into Des Moines with Kansas?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2023, 09:19:50 AM »
Brew, maybe you know this.  When the committee decides placement, do they go by driving distance or as the crow flies?

I ask because with yesterday's results, I think it's possible that we're ahead of Kansas State but behind Texas and Baylor. Texas and Baylor are closer to Des Moines by driving but are actually geographically closer to Denver. My guess is that both Baylor and Texas would prefer to be placed in Denver (easier flight and larger alumni bases in Denver). Could that mean we sneak into Des Moines with Kansas?

Good question! Kinda hopin for some Columbus action.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2023, 12:07:32 PM »

I’m not sure it’s either. I think the language is something like “natural area of interest”as opposed to a mileage comparison exercise. Would be interesting in learning what considerations are made.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2023, 08:21:00 PM »
Brew I’ve got a question for ya if you see this-

I noticed that in your bracket the 2 seed “locations” are different than in say Lunardis bracket.
Meaning, his current bracket has Sacramento, Denver, Birmingham, and Columbus all hosting a 2 seed game, whereas yours the host cities are different.

I assumed, it seems incorrectly, that the locations of the four 2 seed games are “pre-set” just like the locations of the four three seed games etc etc.

Is that not the case? I was just hoping that Marquette couldn’t climb up to the 2 line and then get shipped out to Sacramento because they are the host of a 2 seed game and Arizona drops down to the 3 line sort of thing.

Just when I thought I was starting to understand some of the location stuff I realized I didn’t. It seems a bit more complex now that, at least in my mind, it seems like both a 2 and 3 seed are in play

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2023, 08:30:24 PM »

I noticed that in your bracket the 2 seed “locations” are different than in say Lunardis bracket.
Meaning, his current bracket has Sacramento, Denver, Birmingham, and Columbus all hosting a 2 seed game, whereas yours the host cities are different.

I assumed, it seems incorrectly, that the locations of the four 2 seed games are “pre-set” just like the locations of the four three seed games etc etc.

Is that not the case? I was just hoping that Marquette couldn’t climb up to the 2 line and then get shipped out to Sacramento because they are the host of a 2 seed game and Arizona drops down to the 3 line sort of thing.

Just when I thought I was starting to understand some of the location stuff I realized I didn’t. It seems a bit more complex now that, at least in my mind, it seems like both a 2 and 3 seed are in play

That's not how it works.  The sites are not locked into certain seeds.

It's probably that both Alabama and Houston will be at the same first round site, while another site could get two four seeds.  There's no rules for what seeds go where

fjm

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2023, 08:34:33 PM »

It’s not based off the seed number. It’s based off of what the team is, how far they are from home, and what other teams in front of them chose as their tournament site.

I wish I could remember where but someone wrote essentially how it all breaks down.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2023, 08:40:49 PM »

See this thread:
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=64371.0

Post 32, 37, 39 do great jobs of explaining what you’re looking for.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2023, 08:45:40 PM »
It’s not based off the seed number. It’s based off of what the team is, how far they are from home, and what other teams in front of them chose as their tournament site.

I wish I could remember where but someone wrote essentially how it all breaks down.

OK, but who at Marquette chooses the site? Is it the Coach, the AD or some committee?

fjm

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2023, 09:03:13 PM »
OK, but who at Marquette chooses the site? Is it the Coach, the AD or some committee?

Pretty sure they have buzz, crean, Wojo, the hauser and ellenson parents, and wardle decide it.

But honestly, I don’t know. If I remember correctly per Brew it’s more or less based on distance from the school? Maybe the word “chose” or “choose” was a bad choice by me. Sorry.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2023, 09:06:20 PM »
Awesome, thank you for the clarification and help getting to the info.

I had read that, thought I understood it, but I guess I had a pre-conceived notion that the sites had preset seeds and that they fit the protected seeds in order from 1-16 in the nearest site that has said seed available.

So, reading that, it would seem that Marquette has an extremely high probability of landing in Columbus or Des Moines, it’s two closest destinations amirite?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2023, 10:31:22 PM »
Awesome, thank you for the clarification and help getting to the info.

I had read that, thought I understood it, but I guess I had a pre-conceived notion that the sites had preset seeds and that they fit the protected seeds in order from 1-16 in the nearest site that has said seed available.

So, reading that, it would seem that Marquette has an extremely high probability of landing in Columbus or Des Moines, it’s two closest destinations amirite?

Low probability of landing in Des Moines because there is too much competition.  Kansas, Texas, Baylor, and Kansas State all competing for those two protected seed spots.

Good chance at Columbus.  If not there, then Greensboro or Albany.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2023, 10:42:45 PM »
Low probability of landing in Des Moines because there is too much competition.  Kansas, Texas, Baylor, and Kansas State all competing for those two protected seed spots.

Good chance at Columbus.  If not there, then Greensboro or Albany.

I'm not convinced that Texas and Baylor are competing for Des Moines. I think Denver makes a lot more sense for both of them. If that's the case, it comes down to MU or K-State for who gets seeded higher. Right now, I think we have a slight edge on them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2023, 11:18:24 PM »
I'm not convinced that Texas and Baylor are competing for Des Moines. I think Denver makes a lot more sense for both of them. If that's the case, it comes down to MU or K-State for who gets seeded higher. Right now, I think we have a slight edge on them.

I am confident two of Texas, Baylor, and Kansas State will end up in Denver.  (Unless Arizona goes to Denver instead of Sacramento.)  One Big 12 team joins Kansas in Des Moines.

I still think Kansas State is comfortably top 9.  Can't justify Marquette over Kansas State.  Marquette and Tennessee are a notch lower.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2023, 08:58:04 AM »

Sorry for the late response...yesterday was my daughter's birthday so not a lot of Scooping.

I've heard both explanations given. I use driving distance because it's the easiest quick calculation. Baylor is the big question mark, but Gonzaga is worth watching as well. I think Texas will be in Denver. It's their second choice (Birmingham, but they aren't getting that) regardless.

Baylor could go either way. Right now, I'd guess the S-Curve has Baylor, Arizona, Marquette, K-State, and Gonzaga all in that 7-11 range on the S-Curve. Baylor would probably be happy with Des Moines or Denver, Arizona with Sacramento or Denver, Marquette with Des Moines or Columbus (closer driving listed first for those three). But if they put Arizona in Sacto, Baylor in Des Moines, they have one spot in Denver left. Do they consider giving Gonzaga Denver considering how much further their next available option (Columbus) would be since K-State and Marquette could then have relatively close options? I think they'll follow the curve, but depending on how it shakes out and if Gonzaga is ahead of us (certainly arguable) they could send Gonzaga to Columbus and us to Greensboro. I don't think that's likely, but it's not implausible.

Will be scrubbing the next two days to hopefully have better answers.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2023, 09:24:10 AM »
Great explanation Brew.  Here's my question: If Gonzaga doesn't get Sacramento or Denver, does distance even matter at that point?

Basically, once Gonzaga enters what I will call "must fly" territory, why give them location preference over a team within driving distance?  Gonzaga fans would have to fly to Columbus anyway, so why double Marquette's travel distance?

But if Gonzaga gets a location accommodation, I think it will be Sacramento or Denver, creating a domino effect that pushes teams east.  Leaving us something like this:

Sacramento
UCLA
Arizona/Gonzaga

Denver
Texas
Gonzaga/Arizona

Des Moines
Kansas
Baylor

Columbus
Purdue
Kansas State

Which would send Marquette to either Greensboro or Albany.  Not ideal for Marquette, but both of those sites are closer to Milwaukee than Denver is to Spokane.  It would keep the travel distances pretty balanced for the 2 and 3 seeds.  I could see that happening if the committee doesn't want to send Gonzaga into the Eastern time zone.